ADVERTISEMENT

Under the radar players

leodisflowers

Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
Who are your sleepers for this years team to have a big year:

DB - Larry Tarver. Talked with someone who watched practice and said he looks pretty damn good for a frosh
DL - Kai Wallin. Played a decent amount last year at the end and I think this kid has a bright future. Kind of was looking Jared Crickish. My opinion is the future could be bright for this kid.
LB - Shavers isn't really a sleeper at this point as he is getting a lot of pub. Gonna go with Genatone only for the fact he is a Nebraska kid and mad a "freaks" list.

QB - No under the radar
OL - Seagren or Brix. Just don't trust TC and think we are going to need someone off the radar. Gottula probably fits here as well.
RB - Mekhi Nelson. Just have zero trust with anyone outside of EJ
TE - Heinrich Haarburg. I feel like he is going to make the switch at some point and is too athletic to keep of the field. We are in good shape at TE, but he runs better than all of them by far.
WR - Bonner. So much attention on so many other WR's and the kid seems to just be a solid football player all around. Have heard he may get used like Deebo Samuel and just line up everywhere including RB.

K - John Hohl. Wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Alvano early. Hopefully TA gets it together, but feel like we have a good one with Hohl and it sounds like Nico looks decent as well
P - Koch. Same as above. I feel like BB is going to have a short leash as well. Either punt like you should or get the **** out.

DB - Larry Tarver. Talked with someone who watched practice and said he looks pretty damn good for a frosh
DL - Kai Wallin. Played a decent amount last year at the end and I think this kid has a bright future. Kind of was looking Jared Crickish. My opinion is the future could be bright for this kid.
LB - Shavers isn't really a sleeper at this point as he is getting a lot of pub. Gonna go with Genatone only for the fact he is a Nebraska kid and mad a "freaks" list.

QB - No under the radar
OL - Seagren or Brix. Just don't trust TC and think we are going to need someone off the radar. Gottula probably fits here as well.
TE - Heinrich Haarburg. I feel like he is going to make the switch at some point and is too athletic to keep of the field. We are in good shape at TE, but he runs better than all of them by far.
WR - Bonner. So much attention on so many other WR's and the kid seems to just be a solid football player all around. Have heard he may get used like Deebo Samuel and just line up everywhere including RB.

K - John Hohl. Wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Alvano early. Hopefully TA gets it together, but feel like we have a good one with Hohl and it sounds like Nico looks decent as well
P - Koch. Same as above. I feel like BB is going to have a short leash as well. Either punt like you should or get the **** out.
Keelan Smith will be a dude. I predict he will make an early impact. There is no way he doesn’t understand what big time athletics is.

Wonderful list sir! I would love to see HH at a position switch. Dude is just a natural athlete.
I'm sure Haarberg will see the field in every game and not all of his game action will be as a QB, you will most likely see him in the backfield next to Dylan Raiola or in the slot. When you see Haarberg in as QB he will most likely be Nebraska's wildcat QB during goal line situations, in this I have little doubt.

I'm loving this thread.

I'm gonna go with HH at QB. I hope DR is everything we're expecting, and more, and along with that I'm hopeful HH has upped his QB game from a year ago and contributes substantially this year.

I'm sure Haarberg will see the field in every game and not all of his game action will be as a QB, you will most likely see him in the backfield next to Dylan Raiola or in the slot. When you see Haarberg in as QB he will most likely be Nebraska's wildcat QB during goal line situations, in this I have little doubt.
Don't bet on it.

Reactions: king_kong_
I agree with Kong, in that you aren't going to risk getting your backup QB hurt playing TE or WR on a regular basis. Especially with the depth in the QB room right now. IF at some point Kaelin or someone else steps up to be a satisfactory 3rd string, maybe at that point you could see Haarberg at TE or on the field at another position other than QB

I agree with Kong, in that you aren't going to risk getting your backup QB hurt playing TE or WR on a regular basis. Especially with the depth in the QB room right now. IF at some point Kaelin or someone else steps up to be a satisfactory 3rd string, maybe at that point you could see Haarberg at TE or on the field at another position other than QB
I think that time will come next season when HH is a RS Sr

he may even do a full-time position switch next offseason if the guys behind him are in a place where the coaching staff can put them out there and win games should we need them to.

QB - No under the radar

Be nice to see both Tarver and Benning get some quality playing time as true freshman..

No trust in Bode Soukup?

I think that time will come next season when HH is a RS Sr

he may even do a full-time position switch next offseason if the guys behind him are in a place where the coaching staff can put them out there and win games should we need them to.
I would just as soon NAIN kid beat him out for the #2 QB spot this fall. We already know what HH can and can't do, but the NAIA kid is still unknonw, although, I'm hearing good things about how well he's doing.

It's great that HH is willing to do what is best for the team, but his future is not at QB, and if he can take a bunch of snaps at another position, it just helps him down the road. Comparatively, HH has enough speed where he can really bulk up and fit the mold of what they lookf for at that next level.

I don't think Kaelin is anywhere near ready, but hopefully that changes in the next year or so.

At any rate, its just effing time to win. Even that issue at LT can take a look at either Scott or Mazzucca since they both have played that position before. I think Scott started several games in his career at LT.. He's aggressive and nasty enough that he might be an improvement on what they have there right now.

I would just as soon NAIN kid beat him out for the #2 QB spot this fall. We already know what HH can and can't do, but the NAIA kid is still unknonw, although, I'm hearing good things about how well he's doing.

It's great that HH is willing to do what is best for the team, but his future is not at QB, and if he can take a bunch of snaps at another position, it just helps him down the road. Comparatively, HH has enough speed where he can really bulk up and fit the mold of what they lookf for at that next level.

I don't think Kaelin is anywhere near ready, but hopefully that changes in the next year or so.

At any rate, its just effing time to win. Even that issue at LT can take a look at either Scott or Mazzucca since they both have played that position before. I think Scott started several games in his career at LT.. He's aggressive and nasty enough that he might be an improvement on what they have there right now.
I don't expect anything from the NAIA kid - his coverage has been rather purdy-esque during camp, which tells me he's at best a 3rd teamer.

the last practice report I saw had Benhart taking snaps at LT while corc was banged up (again) and Gottula taking 1st team snaps at RT

take that for what it's worth

I don't expect anything from the NAIA kid - his coverage has been rather purdy-esque during camp, which tells me he's at best a 3rd teamer.

the last practice report I saw had Benhart taking snaps at LT while corc was banged up (again) and Gottula taking 1st team snaps at RT

take that for what it's worth
It shouldn't take the coaches long to decide if Granstad is going to be any factor at all. If not Granstad, then likely no other QB figures in the mix at # 2 other than HH. If Granstad isn't gonna be viable, I think its stupid to subject HH to potential injury by playing another position, cause if DR goes down, then where are we at?

Personally, I don't care who they install at LT as long as they are at least serviceable, and able to avoid injury for more than a couple games. Raiola has to find the right combination between serviceable and durable, so we can get off this merry go round at LT and have a functioning unit.

I'm loving this thread.

I'm gonna go with HH at QB. I hope DR is everything we're expecting, and more, and along with that I'm hopeful HH has upped his QB game from a year ago and contributes substantially this year.
Hoping HH holds a clipboard all year, unless DR gets hurt. It’s a long season and we will likely need a healthy backup at some point.

Hoping HH holds a clipboard all year, unless DR gets hurt. It’s a long season and we will likely need a healthy backup at some point.
NU has to be a helluva lot better than 10 TD passes and 16 INT's this year.

NU has to get past the Piper/Corcoran turnstile at LG between whiffs and injuries, as well as LT with Teddy/Corcoran taking turns being injured. The right side has become serviceable but the left side has been atrocious. How do you build a unit with often injured LT/LG? You can start by putting guys here who have a history of answering the call virtually every Saturday.

From what I have read HH is throwing much better so my hopes for him are high. Seems to have a solid understanding of the offense and if other teams are forced to account for his improved passing it should open his game a lot, especially if we have a good running game to keep defenses honest.

Reactions: BleedRed78
NU has to be a helluva lot better than 10 TD passes and 16 INT's this year.

NU has to get past the Piper/Corcoran turnstile at LG between whiffs and injuries, as well as LT with Teddy/Corcoran taking turns being injured. The right side has become serviceable but the left side has been atrocious. How do you build a unit with often injured LT/LG? You can start by putting guys here who have a history of answering the call virtually every Saturday.
This. Donovan can't be accurately judged as an Oline coach until we see what HIS recruits do.

This. Donovan can't be accurately judged as an Oline coach until we see what HIS recruits do.
it's year 3 for him. he's our longest tenured assistant.

thus far, his hs recruits have not been able to beat out frost's

signing ZERO OL in his first year here didn't help

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Inserting a healthy HH with fresh legs in the middle of the 3rd or 4th quarter against a tired defense could pay dividends.

Reactions: Laner2
I agree, I'm not dogging Raiola, I'm just saying LT has been a verry go round with guys having a history of injuries. I'd rather have a guy who isn't top notch, but has some aggressiveness and has a history of staying healthy.

Good Oline recruits weren't going to sniff NU with the shit show under Floss.
he's our longest tenured assistant.

we're still starting frost's players (recruited pre-Uncle Donnie) at both tackle positions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT