ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn's ban in FB & MBB, NU's gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icedragon

Walk On
Mar 17, 2004
Uconn's loss is NU's gain? by Marshall Warren Ackerman

The NCAA has released it annual academic progress rate (APR) and it is not good news for the University of Connecticut, but could be a wind fall for Nebraska. Both it's Football Team and it Men's Basketball team have been banned from post season play. The APR was started in 2003-2004 to help improve the academic success rate of student-athletes. APR measures the academic progress of Student-Athlete on a semester by semester basis. The threshold on academic success is 930 out of 1000. DI college basketball has historically had the worst rates for APR. In August 2011 NCAA college presidents met in Indianapolis to discuss reform of the APR because of poo­r academic performance by student-athletes. The NCAA Board of Directors voted to band D1 team from postseason play if they failed to meet the 930 requirement. The new policy begins this academic year, but institutions will have a 3 year period to align there programs with the new APR. If the new standard would have been implemented for the 2011-2012 season. 99 D1 programs would have been banned from postseason play Including Nebraska because it's APR was 896 for basketball. But with the release of the 2011-2012 APR, Nebraska's score for basketball was 945 well above the requirement, but still last for the B1G. In football the APR was 966 good for 5th in the B1G. That number is likely to go up with the hire of Tim Miles since Tim Miles APR at Colorado St. starting in 2006-2007 was as follows.

06-07 - 773

07-08 - 950

08-09 - 920

09-10 - 1000

10-11 - 940

Tim Miles has shown a commitment to winning on the court, as well as off the court. The future looks bright for NU student-athletes. As far as Uconn's post-season ban they earned it, This is good news for Nebraska as one of the major players in the Akoy Agau sweepstake could possibly have been eliminated. The future for Akoy Agau may have just taken a Nebraska U turn.

This post was edited on 7/12 7:04 PM by icedragon

.This is old news. It was an excuse to write about Nebraska APR. I talked to Agau about uconn ban, he said "they will recover", when I called him on this a by saying "you are either going there and nothing is going to stop you or you are not going there at all", to which he replied, you are right. " so either it's not going to bother him at all and is still going to go, or not going at all and this is another team to scratch off the list.

with the new list coming out, it looks like Georgetown is #1 on the list. looking for a religious education.

Wow i guess you guys didnt read the part when i said he wont go to Creighton either....Its going to be funny when half of pinnacle is empty

This post was edited on 7/23 12:33 AM by twincitieshusker

Ummm no you did not state that. You said "creighton has a better chance." Which of course is false. And likewise it will be funny when Creighton can't win at the pinnacle. Creighton is doing their best ivy league impression with all the white kids they are bringing in.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Scholarship or no scholarship, agau made it known he wanted to play in a big time conference. If he was still interested in creighton there would be a spot open for him. He hasn't included creighton in his top schools for some time now.

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:
He hasn't included creighton in his top schools for some time now.
To be complete, one should probably add that he hasn't included nebraska in his top schools either.

I'm not really sure what you are arguing about here. Whether one finishes 2nd or 102nd in the Agau sweepstakes, the results are the same -- he ain't coming. If you want to get into a battle about recruits, I could point out that Zach Hanson was a a kid that Miles desperately wanted (and one may have to look long and hard to find another recruit with as close of personal connections to Miles), yet Hanson chose Creighton. In the meantime, Miles has yet to get a single commitment from a high schooler.

Rag on Creighton all you want, but they are recruiting better than Nebraska right now.

That is incorrect. Agau has listed Nebraska as a school he is still considering along with a few other school. Creighton was absent on that list. All you have to do is look no farther than his current tweets about creighton. Sure, Nebraska may not land him, but of course that's not what twincity claimed. Nebraska is/was in the running, creighton not so much. Quantity does not always mean quality, Hanson was a nice pickup...the others don't impress. Being that Miles is the new hc I'd much rather have him be slow and selective regarding recruiting his first year eater than go about things like Doc did in his first recruiting cycle. In the short amount of time he and his staff had to work with he has brought in Biggs, Vucetic, Pettaway, and Pitchford. That list of players is just fine with me for a coach who was just a couple months in to the job.

This post was edited on 7/25 7:54 PM by Mike Matya

Fyi biggs wont make it to lincoln from a very reliable source....Lazy student thats why creighton stop recruiting him a long time ago he would make Braylon Heard look like a genius.

That is incorrect. Agau has listed Nebraska as a school he is still considering along with a few other school. Creighton was absent on that list. All you have to do is look no farther than his current tweets about creighton. Sure, Nebraska may not land him, but of course that's not what twincity claimed. Nebraska is/was in the running, creighton not so much. Quantity does not always mean quality, Hanson was a nice pickup...the others don't impress. Being that Miles is the new hc I'd much rather have him be slow and selective regarding recruiting his first year eater than go about things like Doc did in his first recruiting cycle. In the short amount of time he and his staff had to work with he has brought in Biggs, Vucetic, Pettaway, and Pitchford. That list of players is just fine with me for a coach who was just a couple months in to the job.

This post was edited on 7/25 7:54 PM by Mike Matya
I don't see any evidence that Miles is being "slow and selective". He's out there attending the AAU events, making scholarship offers and lining up visits, just like every other coach. Unfortunately, the high schoolers he is offering just don't seem to be interested.

Originally posted by BluejayAttyAlum:
Creighton doesn't have any scholarships left.
That has no factor in the Agou sweepstakes. If he wanted to attend UC, Mac would find a way to sign him.

Tim Miles could have already loaded up on the type of talent Creighton is bringin in. Of course that would give him similar results to McDermott at Iowa State and Doc. Miles and the staff will use Nebraska football in the fall and recruiting will continue to take off. I would think you and other Creighton fans wouldn't be badgering Akoy on twitter if you weren't butt hurt over the fact he didn't have much interest in Creighton.

This post was edited on 7/27 5:02 PM by Mike Matya

Tim Miles could have already loaded up on the type of talent Creighton is bringin in. Of course that would give him similar results to McDermott at Iowa State and Doc. Miles and the staff will use Nebraska football in the fall and recruiting will continue to take off. I would think you and other Creighton fans wouldn't be badgering Akoy on twitter if you weren't butt hurt over the fact he didn't have much interest in Creighton.

This post was edited on 7/27 5:02 PM by Mike Matya
hb13 -- could you please email me?

Fuller to Minnesota? Read Jason King's article and see what Fuller says. Says NU is right in the hunt and that Miles has done the best job of recruiting him.

I didn't even want to get into this discussion as its a waste of my time trying to argue with a fan from a team that is only relevant because the coaches son is good at basketball but you just have no clue.

First you say Biggs won't make it, at which he busted his tail to get his academics straight and looks like he did. Then you say that is why Creighton stopped recruiting him when in fact Biggs had ZERO interest in Creighton and that I know for a fact.

Miles hasn't signed anybody yet, but as huskerbaseball said, he is going for some of the top players in the country right now and going to use the resources he has to try and get them. The fact that he has been bringing in 4 and 5 star players to the new facilities is a great start. It gets kids talking when out on the AAU circuit and he is NOT going to settle to sign lower tier player unless he absolutely has too.

We'll see how relevant the Jays are in about 2 years when Doug leaves. Jays should have a nice team this year so you go enjoy that, but even after this year with the losses they have they will drop drastically. They hit gold getting Doug to follow his dad, but I hate to break it to you, you aren't going to land many Doug McDermott's at Creighton in the near future no matter what your fan base thinks. I just always get a kick out of how arrogant the Jays fans are considering they have never made it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney. I know, I know, NU has never won a game, we get that. But if NU is so bad at everything, why come here and compare your superior team to such a bottom feeder? Whats funny is as bad as Doc finished up he still somehow was able to go 3-3 vs the "mighty" Jays. Sure that doesn't say much for a BCS team, but we're talking about a BCS team that has been downright awful the past 8-10 years. I have a hunch Tim Miles turns this thing around and the Jays will soon be forgotten.

Originally posted by twincitieshusker:
Haha those white boys can play tho....just wait till Gessell transfer to creighton from Iowa ..

I come over here to browse from time to time and found that comment amusing so thought I would respond. Mike Gesell really impressed in our Prime Time League this summer and I can't wait to watch him play as he looks to start from day one. Nick Fuller would make a good get for the Huskers if you can beat Tubby for him. I know our staff really likes Fuller as well but he plays the same position as incoming walk-on Jarrod Uthoff and we have only one scholarship for the upcoming recruiting class.

I have found Tim Miles' recruiting interesting to watch from a distance. This first season he will just have to plug holes and then you will have a better feel for him after that. From the vantage point of a neutral observer the recruiting seem very scattershot. Miles seems determined to get as many prospects as he can on campus to win them over with the facilities rather than focusing on specific needs. This may work or it may not but he won't fail due to lack of effort. As with all aspects of re-building a basketball program it will take some patience. We had fans the first season who didn't think Fran McCaffery could recruit and we ended up with a Top 25 recruiting class his second season. We could potentially have a very good rivalry in the making.

Agau came and visited NU again today. Again, not saying he is coming, but I would say he at least has some high interest in NU which would be great for the Huskers.

Nahhh I'm sure Creighton has a much better shot hehe. Will they even make his cut? My guess is if a certain creighton fan believed what he said in this thread he wouldn't go out of his way to tweet at Akoy trying to persuade him not to go to the Big Red. But then again, tweeting at a 17 year old is pretty sad.

You can tell from the tone of the Creighton fans that they are getting nervious cause they know their time is limited from being the best basketball program in state of Nebraska. Enjoy it while you can Jay's fans cause in about 2 years under Miles, Nebraska will be a far superior team with more talented kids.

I think most Nebraska fans realize he probably won't end up here. But it is funny seeing some creighton fans acting like they have a shot while others get there panties in a wad because Akoy sees Creighton for what they really are....a lowly mid major.

Agau visited again today with Fuller and Hawkins so that was good to hear.

You care to wager that NU won't beat CU the next 4 years??? Again, as bad as NU has been and was under Doc they still went 3-3 vs the mighty Jays. Once Dougie leaves, the Jays will drop a TON. Hell, they may drop this year after they lose Echinique and Gibbs. Enjoy this while you can.

Just a hunch, but Tim Miles is going to do something special here.

Also, Fuller did have an offer from Creighton and didn't even consider it. I know you Jays fans love to pump your chest if they get a guy that NU has even looked at. Fuller is a damn good player too and at 6'7 and can shoot the way he does will give some teams fits.

Right in cue, after one of the few Creighton fans spout off the commits role in! Very fitting. Miles and the staff are doing a fantastic job on the recruiting trail. Locking up Webster would be huge. Agau would be icing on the cake.

dude the guys that commited are mid major type of guys any way Miles didnt get any gems...Tim Miles is recuirting the same players as Creighton thats not going to cut it in the BIG. I told you HUSKERBASEBALL that BIGGS is not going to make it hit the link....

BIGGS

easy money

NUUBALL your a joke im on the AAU scene I know what im talking about Tim Miles recuirts mid major players. Hes too small town. Just one question. Will Nebraska beat Creighton this year?

This post was edited on 8/16 7:50 PM by twincitieshusker

This post was edited on 8/16 7:55 PM by twincitieshusker

I must have missed where it said Biggs isn't going to make it. Can you point it out for me? I see where they say he is waiting for clearence, but don't see that he has been denied. TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT