ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Shough to

I've heard there is a divide within the coaching staff around whether or not to take a transfer QB this year - a few coaches have been pushing for it while others (one of which makes the final decision) are against it.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I'm okay with waiting to see how Smothers looks in spring ball. It kind of says they like what they have seen.

Reactions: stucknks
I've heard there is a divide within the coaching staff around whether or not to take a transfer QB this year - a few coaches have been pushing for it while others (one of which makes the final decision) are against it.

This is an interesting post.

How would you weigh the opinions of the Assistants between OC & QB? Guess it doesn't matter 'cause HC will break the tie.

If SF doesn't see the need to bring in a transfer QB to compete for the starting spot (after our QB play in 2019 and 2020) then he's probably going to get run out of here after next season.

Is it possible Frost has learned from his mistake with Gebbia in the sense that he doesn't want to risk AM transferring so he is not going to go after a transfer QB until the deadline to transfer in regards to the eligibility date has passed? Just spit balling, and maybe by that time some QB's become available and he'd entertain the idea then? Of course then the risk is the best available transfer QB's are off the market...I'm just wondering if there has to be a reason like that because anyone can see we need another capable guy behind center.

Is it possible Frost has learned from his mistake with Gebbia in the sense that he doesn't want to risk AM transferring so he is not going to go after a transfer QB until the deadline to transfer in regards to the eligibility date has passed? Just spit balling, and maybe by that time some QB's become available and he'd entertain the idea then? Of course then the risk is the best available transfer QB's are off the market...I'm just wondering if there has to be a reason like that because anyone can see we need another capable guy behind center.
The day AM is no longer on the roster, whether via transfer or exhaustion of eligibility, will be a great day for NU football.

Of course Frost will soon after say he feels for him in a subsequent presser.

Maybe he wants to wait to see if we're Ok with the 6 QB's we have already?

Who was the NFL coach who said "when you have 3 QB's you really don't have any QB's"?? Now add 3 more to that equation...

I wanna say the coach who said that was talking about Detroit at the time and Rodney Pete was one of the QB's but i'm kinda guessin on that

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Who was the NFL coach who said "when you have 3 QB's you really don't have any QB's"?? Now add 3 more to that equation...

I wanna say the coach who said that was talking about Detroit at the time and Rodney Pete was one of the QB's but i'm kinda guessin on that
You sure you're not thinking of teams that use a 2 QB rotation and the saying "when you have 2 QBs you don't have any"?

I feel like behind the scenes Frost in going all in on Martinez. I think that's a very dangerous move. If AM has a break out Senior campaign the way that Burrow did at LSU then Frost will look like a genius. However if AM has another (3 in a row) mediocre at best type year where we cant throw the ball down the field and it costs us games....then unfortunately that might be the end of Frost.

I would have much preferred finding a transfer who could have made it here for spring ball, but I can also understand we may not have been an ideal landing spot for most of the quality options who were looking.
I still think it was a mistake to let Bailey Zappe slip to Western Kentucky. If he went there, I’d think we could’ve had a shot at him.

(That state is kind of getting in our way right now.)

Our coaches get paid way too much to “gamble” with the “wait and see” approach for the most important position.
Our QB play has been.... ineffective....and it’s ludicrous to not push hard to shake up the room.

Then they look even worse after losing McCaffrey, leaving us only two scholly options that have any time in the program.
Walk-ons and true frosh QB’s are not the answer for such a critical position.

I would have been ok taking two transfer QB’s (however unrealistic) just to really stimulate the competition.

If they’re going to ride their paycheck on AM and/or Smothers, so be it. But they better earn that check, and prove they can develop these guys to the level of playing clean, scoring TDs, and winning games.
That has to be the standard, or there needs to be a coaching change.

I feel like behind the scenes Frost in going all in on Martinez. I think that's a very dangerous move. If AM has a break out Senior campaign the way that Burrow did at LSU then Frost will look like a genius. However if AM has another (3 in a row) mediocre at best type year where we cant throw the ball down the field and it costs us games....then unfortunately that might be the end of Frost.
Agreed. While I admit Adrian still has potential, the body of evidence is not trending favorably on this one.

It was communicated to me that Lubick/Held wanted to bring-in a transfer QB but Frost/Verduzco did not.

I find this a fascinating scenario. If Frost was neutral or undecided..would you trust your QB coach more or the OC?
I guess I would go with the QB coach's opinion but in this case
I think waiting until after spring ball is a measured decision, like a check in poker. They still have the opportunity to get someone, but they want to see more cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I like the argument that we already have 6 QBs, why do we need 7? Here is our current 6:
Adrian Martinez, JR, 3 year starter, holds 13 Nebraska records
Logan Smothers, Redshirt FR, never played. What I have heard is he is not much of a passer. 4-star recruit.
Heinrich Haarberg, FR. Not particularly highly regarded as a 3-star recruit.
Matt Masker, SO walk on. Never played. No star recruit.
Brayden Miller, Redshirt FR walk on. Never played. No star recruit.
Jarrett Synek, FR walk on. No star recruit.

If, or rather when AM gets hurt, we are in serious trouble.

I like the argument that we already have 6 QBs, why do we need 7? Here is our current 6:
Logan Smothers, Redshirt FR, never played. What I have heard is he is not much of a passer. 4-star recruit.

did you include 'most QB losses' in AM's records? if not, make that 14 NU records.

Frost is holding to his word, wait until after spring, give the current roster QB's a chance, then see if a QB is needed (which I think we need, more for depth than anything else).

Kind of crazy to say we have 6 QB's as an argument for not getting a transfer, when 3 of the 6 are walk on's. The staff said at one time that they wanted 5 scholarship QB's, right now we have 3 and only 1 has ever taken a live snap in a college football game.

I'm okay with waiting to see how Smothers looks in spring ball. It kind of says they like what they have seen.
It's really more about seeing who is on the transfer market than how Smothers looks. God willing he looks like everything I've hoped since the day I hopped on the Logan Smothers Hype Train (woo woo).

They need a capable QB to transfer in, period. Regardless of whether Smothers looks like Pat Mahommes or Pat Sajack.

Kind of crazy to say we have 6 QB's as an argument for not getting a transfer, when 3 of the 6 are walk on's. The staff said at one time that they wanted 5 scholarship QB's, right now we have 3 and only 1 has ever taken a live snap in a college football game.
It is Not easy landing a transfer QB and especially (1) that can come in and play. Why?
1. Very few out there
2. The few out there, alot of competition to land him.

Frost is holding to his word, wait until after spring, give the current roster QB's a chance, then see if a QB is needed (which I think we need, more for depth than anything else).
We will be fine if we can land a four star in this next recruiting class.
We need to get back to landing Top Rated QBs.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT