ADVERTISEMENT

Tyjon still working with Keith Williams

I'm more concerned about him running a 180 where he has to pivot on freshly cut grass. Hope he doesn't injure himself.

Reactions: c3ntral08
Independant instruction can only make him better. No different than a QB going to a QB camp or having an outside QB coach. Likewise, regardless of how you feel about KW's off field issues it's hard to argue his coaching ability.

I think that is changing in the QB department. I think Frost and Coach V frown upon that, and they want to work on their mechanics.

Reactions: Skerz4Life50
Independant instruction can only make him better. No different than a QB going to a QB camp or having an outside QB coach. Likewise, regardless of how you feel about KW's off field issues it's hard to argue his coaching ability.
Interesting that you bring up the QB coach, because I believe Frost stated after Spring that he basically didn’t want our QBs working with an outside QB coach.

I personally think it’s great that Tyjon is working with KW as he is a D1 level coach and as long as Walters is ok with it, it seems like a great benefit. Just don’t mess with the QBs I guess.

I can't believe 'savage professionalism' hasn't been worked into the conversation yet.

The QBs should be able whatever they want in their free time. The QB gurus seem to work for all other schools.

Verduzco gave a long explanation in an interview about not wanting guys working with private QB coaches. I can see both sides but his main thing was “consistency of instruction” which I think is probably more particular to QB vs other positions.
Consistency of instruction is good if the instruction is good. Verduzco is SFs handpicked dude for his QBs and appears to know what he’s doing. KW has a prior coaching relationship with Tyjon and trains Pros. Good atmosphere for Tyjon to be in.

Verduzco is a self professed odd duck as a QB coach.

My guess is that the staff doesn't want folks like young Martinez to go get a "traditional" QB education where he's going to spend the summer being beaten if he throws late acroos the middle and then he shows up in August and Verduzco is going to want him to make some plays doing just that.

I don't really think it has anything to do with the fact that Frost or Verduzco really thinks he's the best qb coach on Earthbut it's clear his method is at odds with most of the available options for individual study.

The QBs should be able whatever they want in their free time. The QB gurus seem to work for all other schools.

I bet they can do what they want in their off time within team rules. But, if the qb's get de-programmed by another coach and coaches SF and V don't like what they see, the qb simply doesn't play, and from what we seem to be seeing, can feel free to find another program, saving the scholarship for another.

It is still a free country for the most part. The kids can do what they want, then reap the consequences. SF will continue to be head coach and will, obviously, continue to decide what he thinks is best for the program. This isn't smilin' mike's team anymore, and entitlement, it appears, will not be promised, thank goodness.

My guess is that the staff doesn't want folks like young Martinez to go get a "traditional" QB education where he's going to spend the summer being beaten if he throws late acroos the middle and then he shows up in August and Verduzco is going to want him to make some plays doing just that.

I don't really think it has anything to do with the fact that Frost or Verduzco really thinks he's the best qb coach on Earthbut it's clear his method is at odds with most of the available options for individual study.

Odd duck or not he has a reason and you can’t argue the development of year 1 -2 with McKenzie Milton.

I bet they can do what they want in their off time within team rules. But, if the qb's get de-programmed by another coach and coaches SF and V don't like what they see, the qb simply doesn't play, and from what we seem to be seeing, can feel free to find another program, saving the scholarship for another.

It is still a free country for the most part. The kids can do what they want, then reap the consequences. SF will continue to be head coach and will, obviously, continue to decide what he thinks is best for the program. This isn't smilin' mike's team anymore, and entitlement, it appears, will not be promised, thank goodness.

Extremely well stated Redondo.

QBs frequently work with outside coaching consultants during breaks and vacations. Why not WRs?

He said in an interview with severe that they tell all qbs to dump any personal gurus once they are a husker....he compared it surgery . He said would you want a doctor to perform surgery or someone who read a bunch of do it yourself books and call themselves a doctor He said he is a qb doctor

Reactions: SOHusker11
I don't know. This does not sit well with me. Now he is getting advice from two coaches, one on staff and one his previous coach who was fired? Sure, it can work, so long as Tyjon is totally honest with his current coach about what it is Williams is teaching him. But what if the motivation is that he is still emotionally attached to his old coach and not so much with the new? What happens when there is a conflict in technique training? Whose voice does he follow? Keith Williams is gone. Let him stay gone.

If this were just some outside "wide receivers" guru that Tyjon decided to get some extra coaching from this summer, then fine. He would come back to Lincoln and share with his coaches what he learned. But I don't like the fact that he is doing this with his former coach who was fired.

Reactions: GILL T
Verduzco gave a long explanation in an interview about not wanting guys working with private QB coaches. I can see both sides but his main thing was “consistency of instruction” which I think is probably more particular to QB vs other positions.

I agree, especially with your last sentence. The QB position is different. When you’re a wideout, blocking technique is pretty standard, route running is pretty standard, and catching the ball is pretty standard. I don’t think working with one coach on footwork and route running to going to be too different from working with another coach, but maybe I’m wrong. The QB spot on the other hand is unique. Much more too it, and I would venture to say based on what I’ve read and heard from SF and Coach V, quick thinking and quick decision making is one of the key components, if not the #1 component they are looking for in a QB. If some other coach comes in and messes with that, all their work is for not. SF’s offense lives and dies on the ability of the QB to process information, if that fails the offense fails. I doubt that is true of WRs, hence why Tyjon working with KW is no big deal.

Keith was the only position coach from the previous staff that Frost had any interest in at all for what it is worth. Keith has been very supportive of Tyjon listening to his new coach etc. He has no hard feelings towards the university at all and would gladly return. He really loved his time at NU. I guarantee you Walter's is fine with this as Keith wouldn't step on toes etc.

QBs get beat up bad enough by Verduzco. :D You wouldn't think it, but Verduzco is a hard ass on QBs. I guess he lets the expletives fly if you aren't on point with your performance. His thought process is that "if you aren't tough as hell, we don't want you." Sorta refreshing if you ask me.

If he is, then fine. I certainly have no way of knowing. I am just giving you my gut feeling about a young player still hanging out with his former coach. Doesn't pass my smell test.
Our most recent experience with that was the unprofessional attitudes & "poisoning of the wells" off of Pelini's staff. But "the code" of the coaching profession is to never say a bad word about the next staff and to totally support your fellow coaches. Keith Williams seems to be made up of that ilk. It appears to me that Coach Williams has a good relationship with the new staff and he does still have a great reputation as a skilled & knowledgeable position coach.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
QBs get beat up bad enough by Verduzco. :D You wouldn't think it, but Verduzco is a hard ass on QBs. I guess he lets the expletives fly if you aren't on point with your performance. His thought process is that "if you aren't tough as hell, we don't want you." Sorta refreshing if you ask me.

There have been several reports stating that sort of thing is contrary to Frost's operating parameters. Word is he doesn't go for that stuff in the program. Are you sure about what you heard of Verdusco?

There have been several reports stating that sort of thing is contrary to Frost's operating parameters. Word is he doesn't go for that stuff in the program. Are you sure about what you heard of Verdusco?

Yep, and it's a good thing. Kids need a little kick in the ass sometimes. He also builds them up, but he teaches them well and expects them to get it right.

One of my good friends saw him in action and was pretty surprised. But you have to look at the results. He's good at what he does.

Yep, and it's a good thing. Kids need a little kick in the ass sometimes. He also builds them up, but he teaches them well and expects them to get it right.

One of my good friends saw him in action and was pretty surprised. But you have to look at the results. He's good at what he does.

So what he told this to the media, it was just bull shit.

In a recent news conference, Frost explained why he won’t “yell and scream at kids.” He also mentioned his staff won’t “cuss at kids.” It’s a thought-provoking theory for coaches at all levels of football.

“One of our sayings is, ‘Have a desire to excel and no fear of failure,’” Frost told reporters, as relayed by KOLN-TV’s Dan Corey. “Part of that is the coaches’ responsibility. And I mentioned that we’re not going to yell and scream at kids, and weren’t not going to cuss at kids. I don’t think that’s the right thing to do, and I also don’t want to make kids afraid to go make a great play.

“If someone misses a tackle or drops a ball, they don’t need to be yelled at. They need to be taught the right way to do it so it doesn’t happen again. And once you take away that fear of what might happen if you make a bad play, it really frees you up to go make great plays.”

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
So we he told this to the media, it was just bull shit.

In a recent news conference, Frost explained why he won’t “yell and scream at kids.” He also mentioned his staff won’t “cuss at kids.” It’s a thought-provoking theory for coaches at all levels of football.

“One of our sayings is, ‘Have a desire to excel and no fear of failure,’” Frost told reporters, as relayed by KOLN-TV’s Dan Corey. “Part of that is the coaches’ responsibility. And I mentioned that we’re not going to yell and scream at kids, and weren’t not going to cuss at kids. I don’t think that’s the right thing to do, and I also don’t want to make kids afraid to go make a great play.

“If someone misses a tackle or drops a ball, they don’t need to be yelled at. They need to be taught the right way to do it so it doesn’t happen again. And once you take away that fear of what might happen if you make a bad play, it really frees you up to go make great plays.”

Yep, you are correct, sir. He cussed...a 'goodly' amount. But what coach doesn't? Any coach that has a competitive team is going to cuss, except maybe TO.

Look at some of his interviews. He used "friggen" and "what the hell" in front of the cameras in a short interview I watched, which indicates that he is going to use more colorful language when he's off camera.

Yep, you are correct, sir. He cussed...a 'goodly' amount. But what coach doesn't? Any coach that has a competitive team is going to cuss, except maybe TO.

Look at some of his interviews. He used "friggen" and "what the hell" in front of the cameras in a short interview I watched, which indicates that he is going to use more colorful language when he's off camera.

I don't have a problem with it at all, but don't say something like that to the media and then turn around and go the opposite direction with it. In the few interviews I have heard from Coach V, I can see him dropping the F-Bomb on a pretty regular basis just in conversation, let alone in practice or on the sideline.

I get it, there is a huge amount of cussing in coaching in general, and for the most part it doesn't bother me. I am 3 episodes in on the new season of Last Chance U and the first episode was pretty tough to listen to. This coach at Independence CC dropped the F-Bomb a ton.

I think it is almost comical how a coach drops a profane filled pre-game speech and at the end say, everyone take a knee and then they pray. See The Ben Show Football Halftime Speech.

I don't have a problem with it at all, but don't say something like that to the media and then turn around and go the opposite direction with it. In the few interviews I have heard from Coach V, I can see him dropping the F-Bomb on a pretty regular basis just in conversation, let alone in practice or on the sideline.

I get it, there is a huge amount of cussing in coaching in general, and for the most part it doesn't bother me. I am 3 episodes in on the new season of Last Chance U and the first episode was pretty tough to listen to. This coach at Independence CC dropped the F-Bomb a ton.

I think it is almost comical how a coach drops a profane filled pre-game speech and at the end say, everyone take a knee and then they pray. See The Ben Show Football Halftime Speech.

I think Frost and his staff will be excellent builders of character, and there is no other coach out there that I would rather have on our sideline, but let's be honest, football is an emotional team sport, and coaches cuss. Coach V drops F-bombs. I'm sure the other coaches do too. As long as they move this program forward, I'll forgive them for a few (or a lot) cuss words here and there. :D

I think Frost and his staff will be excellent builders of character, and there is no other coach out there that I would rather have on our sideline, but let's be honest, football is an emotional team sport, and coaches cuss. Coach V drops F-bombs. I'm sure the other coaches do too. As long as they move this program forward, I'll forgive them for a few (or a lot) cuss words here and there. :D

Agreed there, I could careless about swearing or not. Football is a mans sport and let’s face it, us guys like to swear when we are all fired up and going. I might cringe a little if he dropped the F bomb live on air. But t in no way would I think less of the guy. We all curse and swear at times. We are “Men” of course ;)

Say what you want about Riley and the old staff all you want but truth be told, Keith Williams was the one Coach no one could try and knock as a bad egg. He was a great position coach and I’d gladly take him back if we could. It’s just to bad we couldn’t have him and Walters ;). KW can only help Tyjon Lindsey this off season. I have a good feeling we are going to see why TL was a former 5 star WR before his injury this season. This young man has all the tools to kill it under Frosts system.

So we he told this to the media, it was just bull shit.

I think this is huge, and huge for building up the mental strength of this team. You see some coaches who are out of control and act like maniacs, and the team will play out of control. You also see coaches who let players and recruits walk all over them. Frost is different in that he has a quiet confidence about him, and I think the players will take after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT