Two Nebraskans started for San Diego Chargers today

marteau

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 29, 2009
Trevor Robinson at center and Woodhead at RB. Neither one went to UNL

Trevor Robinson at center and Woodhead at RB. Neither one went to UNL
th

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Kyle Emanuel also plays for the Chargers.

He went to high school in Schuyler, NE and college at NDSU.

Schools like NDSU and even SDSU (brookings), figure in Chadron State (where Woodhead played) and even Kearney are picking up the good players that used to be walk ons at Nebraska. It is really bad how far Callahan put the program behind without allowing walk ons. The players now playing at these schools used to "play for the huskers" just so they could say,"I played for the Huskers!"

I wonder sometimes if we overlook Nebraska kids - these guys are an example and you have 3 defensive starters at Iowa that also we missed out on

Maybe we should be offering more in-state kids

IIRC, Robinson was somebody Nebraska went after hard. And nobody offered Woodhead outside of Chadron State. I remember watching him in high school. He always had a bunch of yards. But I remember my teams RB botching about what how many yards he would have if he got 30+ carries a game.

I think most everybody wanted Ott to be offered. But Bo and nepotism prevailed. Bo did a poor job with some Nebraska kids. I'm not sure if there is a huge outcry for Batza (or whatever his name is) or Fisher. Anyway, I think we can all agree that Bo missed the boat on several local recruits. (I used to work with a relative of Harrison Phillips, I learned not to get him started on how Pelini handled Phillips. Embarrassing.)

It should also be noted that Shaq Barrett has been excelling this year for the Broncos. He was a Boystown product that played at UNO before they shut the program down. They went to Bo and told him he would be a great addition, but Bo thought different. All Barrett did then was go to Colorado State and excel there too. Bo really missed out on that one. He was ours for the taking.

Schools like NDSU and even SDSU (brookings), figure in Chadron State (where Woodhead played) and even Kearney are picking up the good players that used to be walk ons at Nebraska. It is really bad how far Callahan put the program behind without allowing walk ons. The players now playing at these schools used to "play for the huskers" just so they could say,"I played for the Huskers!"
Let;s get the facts straight, shall we? Callahan never banned walk-ons. I could name walk-ons who came while he was coach(Alex Henery comes to mind immediately), but you don't even have to do that. Go back and look at the rosters for 2004-2007. There are more than 85 players on those rosters. The only way that is possible, is if there were walk-ons.

I don't recall him banning them, just cutting the number he would carry. Is that right?

IIRC, Robinson was somebody Nebraska went after hard. And nobody offered Woodhead outside of Chadron State. I remember watching him in high school. He always had a bunch of yards. But I remember my teams RB botching about what how many yards he would have if he got 30+ carries a game.

I think most everybody wanted Ott to be offered. But Bo and nepotism prevailed. Bo did a poor job with some Nebraska kids. I'm not sure if there is a huge outcry for Batza (or whatever his name is) or Fisher. Anyway, I think we can all agree that Bo missed the boat on several local recruits. (I used to work with a relative of Harrison Phillips, I learned not to get him started on how Pelini handled Phillips. Embarrassing.)
We have lost 9 kids to other P5 schools in the last five years - that is way too many especially since everyone always states we have limited in state kids to recruit from

It appears that we KSU, Iowa and then Ohio are the main culprits on recruiting Nebraska kids - I would start by making sure every kid they offer we offer and recruit hard - Lets get them out of these HS to start

We have lost 9 kids to other P5 schools in the last five years - that is way too many especially since everyone always states we have limited in state kids to recruit from

It appears that we KSU, Iowa and then Ohio are the main culprits on recruiting Nebraska kids - I would start by making sure every kid they offer we offer and recruit hard - Lets get them out of these HS to start
Just because KSU, Iowa or Ohio recruits a NE kid doesn't mean they are worthy of an offer from us. Yes, you have players like Drew Ott and maybe Bazata or Fisher that are currently at Iowa that we should have offered, but how many NE kids that have gone to KSU or Ohio in recent years have been players that have shown we should have given them a scholarship offer? Noah Keller at Ohio is the only one I can think of, and that's going back about 10 years.

Just because KSU, Iowa or Ohio recruits a NE kid doesn't mean they are worthy of an offer from us. Yes, you have players like Drew Ott and maybe Bazata or Fisher that are currently at Iowa that we should have offered, but how many NE kids that have gone to KSU or Ohio in recent years have been players that have shown we should have given them a scholarship offer? Noah Keller at Ohio is the only one I can think of, and that's going back about 10 years.
Point is that this is a Nebraska football team - even if everyone of those recruits did not pan out it is still better than having them go to Iowa and contributing to a win over NU

These nine kids were to P5 schools I did not count Ohio simply brought them up becuase they recruit hard in Nebraska

I don't recall him banning them, just cutting the number he would carry. Is that right?
I think he cut the number in order to keep the roster more manageable. But I'm not sure the number of walk-ons taken every year since then has really gone up that much. It just really amazes me that there are people out there that believe that he literally did away with the walk-on program completely. There are plenty of things you can criticize him for, and you can disagree with him cutting the number of walk-ons, but there's a big difference between that and doing away with all walk-ons.

I wonder sometimes if we overlook Nebraska kids - these guys are an example and you have 3 defensive starters at Iowa that also we missed out on

Maybe we should be offering more in-state kids

Cole Fisher contributed for exactly one of his five seasons at Iowa, and was pretty easily the worst full-time defensive starter that we had this year.

He was at best a mediocre Power 5 LB, and again, it's not like he contributed over multiple seasons. Just one.

I wouldn't exactly call him a huge miss by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:
Callahan out of all the coaches had a an excuse for not taking as many walk ons, he was actually landing top tier recruits and getting full classes at that, he didn't really need a ton of walk ons. If you can't fill your recruiting numbers with your first, second or even third choices, then by all means pile it on with walk ons, I mean why not, what does it hurt? Now Bo didn't do that, he seemed to always fall short on filling his recruiting classes and could of at least pulled in more walk ons.

Now let's get this straight, we will never get to elite status again on walk ons, we have to do better on getting our guys, filling our classes and then pulling in the top local talent if not by scholly then getting them to walk on and earn a scholly.

Robinson was never going to go anywhere but ND. Woodhead though was a definite miss. And yes it would have been great to have gotten them. I'm a big fan of the instate kids. Especially on the Line. Lots of great kids who would right n@d to practice hard for years just to play mop up. Our line used to be our bread and butter and full of husky farm kids from Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT