ADVERTISEMENT

Two 28 Team Superconferences

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
I am responsible for deciding these things and in year 2032 this is what you will see:
Big 28:
Current members: 14
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Stanford
Washington
Washinton St
Arizona
ASU
Colorado
Utah
Oregon St
Pitt
Boston College
Notre Dame

SEC:
Current Members: 14
Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma St
Kansas
Iowa St
Duke
Baylor (toss up with TCU, West Virginia, and Texas Tech)
Clemson
Miami
Georgia Tech
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Florida St
North Carolina

Last edited:
Notre Dame will no longer be able to remain independent. Nobody outside the conference will be able to play for the NC. It might further expand to 32 teams each in the following years and no further.

There are currently 64 teams in Power 5 conferences. Notre Dame makes 65. Central Florida, Houston, Cincinnati, BYU make it 69 in 2024. What schools if any are going to be left out?

Seriously, though. This college football thing needs a commissioner.

With 28 teams it would take a minimum of 3 years just to play the other teams in your conference. What I think would happen even if we get to 20 + team conferences is divisions of 8-12 teams and then surprise you are back to where we started.

Reactions: 9and4
Conference members use to play each other every year. Then at least every two years. All this is about is which teams will be which TV contract.

Eventually, there will be two mega conferences with 28 teams in each.

The Big 10 will rename itself "the Bowl Coalition" and split their coalition into divisions called the Big 10, Big 8 and Pac 10.

The SEC renames itself the "Bowl Championship Series" and they split up into three divisions- the Southeastern, Southwest, and Atlantic Coast.

With 28 teams it would take a minimum of 3 years just to play the other teams in your conference. What I think would happen even if we get to 20 + team conferences is divisions of 8-12 teams and then surprise you are back to where we started.
Not exactly. The difference is whether or not all the teams get an equal share of the conference revenue share.

The 2 super conf will break from NCAA and increase # of games played too 16 and have nfl style playoff. Increase # of Scollies to 105 to account for the extra games and injuries. 5,050 players on scholarship in the super conferences

I just read about an idea of the superconferences, the two main ones plus a transformed Big 12. I just don't see that happening, but would be interesting..

Just not enough teams remaining that aren't already in one of the two conferences who haven't at least won some natties or aren't nationally prominent brands today.

Way too many

56 different teams haven’t won national titles in the era of modern football

teams like UCF and Purdue just dilute the product while adding zero value

30 or so is the right number
Purdue and UCF might not be national championship caliber, but they are not easy wins either, they provide solid competition during the regular season.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT