ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday Practice Baseball Notes

RobsterMobster

Administrator
Jan 5, 2010
I was able to watch our boys play some ball at practice today and will throw some notes out in this thread of things I notice.

Steven Reveles has a nice drive on his ball this year, you can tell he spent some time in the cages for sure. He is hitting a lot of low line drives. Having his glove is an asset but if he is able to add a good bat to our lineup I could see him have a pretty good year.

Luis Alvarado was warming up at 3rd and looks like a natural in that position. Don't be shocked if he gets a serious look at the 3 bag this year. It's nice to have that option depending what is needed defensively from him this year.

Schlepp was obviously manning 2nd but didn't notice anyone else during the warmups warmup at 2nd besides him.

At 1st base saw Mike Waldron (freshman) getting a lot of reps during BP.

Noticed Wilkening as starting catcher for the white squad and Brady Childs starting for the red squad.

Colton Howell is getting the start for the red squad. I'll try to post his stat line for the game at some point.

Howell retired the side in order 1-2-3 and the nice thing is he threw all strikes. This isn't to too shocking knowing his past success but what Erstad is going to want to see is him do this over a 6-7 inning performance come time for the season.

Alex Henwood gets the leadoff spot for the red squad and showed great patience at the plate before lining out to LF. I can see why Esrtad likes this kid in the leadoff spot because he has that natural plate discipline you want on a leadoff hitter.

Jake Myers gets the 1st hit of the game with a nice shot between SS and 3rd. I know Erstad is hoping he becomes a mainstay in the lineup this season.

I noticed they didn't have Reveles throwing to 1st from SS in what would be considered an obvious out. He would simply glove the ball and go into throwing motion and the umpire would call the out. It's obvious they want to protect him as much as possible until the season starts.

Dilday brings in the 1st hit for the white squad hitting a ball between 2nd and 1st.

Dilday was thrown out at 2nd by a terrific throw by Brady Childs (Junior) but a walk by Jake Paczek assured Dilday was safe at 2nd. Regardless the throw was money.

Brady Childs is making an early case for that catchers spot with a nice rip to left field.

Some bad news to report already. Dilday was diving for a ball and instantly grabbed his knee/ankle. He need help getting off the field. Hopefully we an get an update from Etstad about the situation because he's a glove/bat we will really need this season

Howell has great command of the strike zone. He has the experience, leadership, mentality, and talent to be a Friday night guy. It's way too early to name starters, especially Friday starters, but you can tell Erstad is going to give him every opportunity to earn the spot. Kid has the goods.

Mike Waldron has a great glove at 1st, diving and snagging a ball hit down the line and scooping throws in the dirt.

Jake Myers now has a 2 for 2 day going at the plate. He connects with the ball and can hit it to both sides of the field very well.

Reece Eddins is now in to pitch for the red squad. Howell finished with a one hit shutout through his 3 innings of work.

The only negative I'm seeing is the goose eggs on the scoreboard. The Skers are getting hits but not manufacturing runs which I only bring up because this was one of the big issues that kept this team out of the Regionals last year.

I know I said this earlier in the thread but don't doubt Alvarado getting a serious look at 3rd this year. The kid looks very natural and is making plays.

Mike Waldron breaks the score open with a 2 RBI double down the LF line. Another kid pushing for some serious consideration for playing time this year.

Mitchell Steinhoff (freshman from Crete, NE) is now in to pitch for the white squad.

Big Ben has a 2/3 day so far with a double off the RF wall. You can tell they have been working on his power this off season.

The nice thing is I'm seeing a lot of hard line drives for the most part. I'm still hoping to see some more power but I think the line drive and hard grounder will be our MO again this year. However, we seem to have a higher average hitting team in the making.

Well that's all I got today. Had to leave a tad early to get some kiddos to bed. Feel free to toss any questions out and I'll do my best to answer them. GBR!

Ahhh, pretty sure fish was behind the plate the whole game, Brady played right field. Tonight I believe Brady will catch and Fish will fill in at third. It's not for sure if all players will stay on the same squad, although I hope they do.
If you are coming tonight, stop out at our tailgate, we will fire it up around 3:30- 4:00, northeast parking lot along the street, look for the flags. I would love to meet you,as I really enjoy what you bring to this baseball board.

Ahhh, pretty sure fish was behind the plate the whole game, Brady played right field. Tonight I believe Brady will catch and Fish will fill in at third. It's not for sure if all players will stay on the same squad, although I hope they do.
If you are coming tonight, stop out at our tailgate, we will fire it up around 3:30- 4:00, northeast parking lot along the street, look for the flags. I would love to meet you,as I really enjoy what you bring to this baseball board.

Sorry for the late reply, I'll take you up on that tailgate offer at some point. GBR!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT