ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday, April 4th Nebraska at Kansas State (Huskers win 6-1)

Looks like Anglim hobbled to 1st on that infield single. Hopefully nothing major it knowing he had just some off that hamstring injury it is hard not to think of that.

• Wow
Reactions: BrighteRed24
So I'm not well versed on pitching "win" decisions. Can someone explain to me why Hawkins got the win? I know starters have to go so many innings to qualify for a win, so that explains why the win wasn't given to Clark. Did Hawkins get it simply because the starter didn't qualify and Nebraska didn't relinquish the lead after Hawkins exited (even though he inherited the lead)?

So I'm not well versed on pitching "win" decisions. Can someone explain to me why Hawkins got the win? I know starters have to go so many innings to qualify for a win, so that explains why the win wasn't given to Clark. Did Hawkins get it simply because the starter didn't qualify and Nebraska didn't relinquish the lead after Hawkins exited (even though he inherited the lead)?
My understanding has always been that the win goes to the pitcher of record when the winning team takes the lead for the final time. Since that happened when the starter was the pitcher of record, and he didn’t go the five innings required of a starter to get the win, it’s up to the official scorer to name the winner.

Reactions: saluno22

My understanding has always been that the win goes to the pitcher of record when the winning team takes the lead for the final time. Since that happened when the starter was the pitcher of record, and he didn’t go the five innings required of a starter to get the win, it’s up to the official scorer to name the winner.
Correct, the starter must go the allotted number of innings (5 in an 9 inning game) to get the win unless the coach specifies his plan ahead of time. For example, “all pitchers will go 2 innings max.” That doesn’t happen often but I do remember it happening once this year and a few times in the past.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT