ADVERTISEMENT

Tua

I can't believe he wants to go back out there. He's lucky he's not a vegetable already. I've seen all three of his concussions. He's nuts if he would risk his brain any further.
Yep it’s sad. Where is his family? He has basically lost all motor functions in his hands after each one .

Reactions: bigboxes
When Tua says getting an ankle injury is the same risk as getting your 4th concussion, the league needs to step in.

Not to mention his press conference quote "This game will be the death of me"

Sounds like he's in a perfectly logical state of mind. /s

I'm a little surprised the NFL doesn't make wearing a guardian helmet mandatory for someone in Tua's situation.

Then again, I also read that a guardian helmet only reduces the risk by 10% if one player is wearing it. 20% if both players in a head to head collision are wearing them. I would have guessed it to be a little higher than that. Maybe there are better results being reported elsewhere.

Last edited:
I can't believe he wants to go back out there. He's lucky he's not a vegetable already. I've seen all three of his concussions. He's nuts if he would risk his brain any further.
Not to mention a severe hip injury in college that nearly ended his career. I know his dad was a bit of a lunatic when it came to pushing his sons to be QBs. Not sure his family brings the best advice.

I'm a little surprised the NFL doesn't make wearing a guardian helmet mandatory for someone in Tua's situation.

Then again, I also read that a guardian helmet only reduces the risk by 10% if one player is wearing it. 20% if both players in a head to head collision are wearing them. I would have guessed it to be a little higher than that. Maybe there are better results being reported elsewhere.
Well they're also thicker helmets, so even that 20% margin is probably erased by a greater chance for head to head collisions.

Have to assume the Fish would work with him on the remaining money. So it can't he about the money for him...but for the team???.... if he gets injured and cannot play anymore, his salary comes off the books, cap wise...so maybe they are like...."if he plays and plays well great, we have a QB, if he gets hurt we're out nothing and can pay a different QB without Tua's cap hit to worry about..."

When Tua says getting an ankle injury is the same risk as getting your 4th concussion, the league needs to step in.

Not to mention his press conference quote "This game will be the death of me"

Sounds like he's in a perfectly logical state of mind. /s
I hope he doesn’t think he will be immortalized by dying on the field. He needs to wake the **** up.

I can only imagine the NFL and Miami made him sign his ass away (release or waiver of liability) to protect them from future litigation when Tua is turned into a turnip.

There’s ways to get most of his money maybe not all of his money.
I agree. He's got $167 in guaranteed money. Tua could easily find an independent doctor who says he needs to sit out the rest of the year and probably more. The Dolphins could just decide to give him an injury settlement and move on at some point. But Tua wants to play.

I think Coach McWeirdo would actually win a lot of people over by refusing to play Tua.
I'm not a fan of that HC either. For a supposed offensive genius who has nothing else to offer as a coach, he failed miserably without Tua. He had no answers.

Well they're also thicker helmets, so even that 20% margin is probably erased by a greater chance for head to head collisions.
Yes, apparently there's a new style helmet that is safer than other helmets with the guardian helmet thing added to them. But a lot of players will not wear the new style helmet because they are used to the feel of their old helmet and do not want to switch.

I read that as many concussions are caused by the hitting the ground as there are helmet to helmet. Make me think that the large neck rolls should make a comeback.

So I am guessing all the posters that rip on NU players and then say "I would DIE for a chance to play for NU", didn't literally mean it??? Hahaha

But seriously, if the dude is set for life, just retire (I know, I know, even if 100 million dollars he could not retire comfortably, I know)

I guess the main question for me is does he have any kind of stopping point for too many concussions. Because he's going to get another one. That much we know.

I coached with a guy that was a Husker walk-on. I asked him about it and he told me he ended up quitting, I asked why.

He said "So I had another concussion and the doctor said, so do you plan on playing in the NFL?, and I told the doctor, no, not at all and the doctor said, quit playing football".

So he did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT