ADVERTISEMENT

Troy Game Film Notes and Takeaways

TheNewNU

All-American
Dec 27, 2014
Sorry about the delay this week, I wanted to have it out earlier but had a hectic week at work and it actually took me awhile to get a recording of the game. Now onto the game…

Overall Takeaways This game got hard to watch after the 1st quarter, really frustrating to see the lack of execution, penalties, miscommunications, and turnovers this team had. It would be easy to blame this loss all on Bunch but the fact of the matter is this was a team loss. The blocking at times from the OL was piss poor and was nearly at all times piss poor from the receivers and tight ends. I thought the defense did a lot of good but we still have some holes in the secondary that need to be addressed. Then I got to thinking about this team a little bit more. We are a very young, inexperienced team that doesn’t know how to win yet. The experience we do have isn’t very good and we don’t have much depth in a lot of key positions. Bottom line, we have a long way to go. I still think we’ll surprise some people this year and we’ll play some really good teams really close but it’s going to take a lot more time than I think most of us were hoping for to get this thing back to what we want it to be. So let’s all be patient and enjoy watching this thing get built back up brick by brick and day by day.

Offensive Takeaways

QBs I know everyone would like to think with Adrian we win this game by 2 or 3 touchdowns, but after watching the film, I’m not sure that’s the case. Bunch did some good things in this game. Don’t get me wrong Bunch was far from perfect, he made some bad reads in the passing game and the zone read game in particular but he played well enough for us to win and better than a lot of people are giving him credit for. He’s a capable back up and assuming we get a 12th game, I still think it would be possible for us to make a bowl game if he had to play the whole year, likely? Probably not. But he can make the required throws to run the offense, I’d honestly give Bunch probably a B or B- grade for the day considering it was his first start.

RBs Every cloud has a silver lining and the silver lining Saturday was our running backs. Held has this group humming. I wasn’t overly impressed with Bell after the CU game but I can see why this staff is so high on him after watching this film. He popped in this one, he was making something out of nothing quite often and was finishing runs hard dragging defenders with him, something I hope we see going forward. All in all, I’m excited by what I saw out of Bell. I told you guys last week that Maurice Washington was special and had Reggie Bush level elusiveness, some of you didn’t believe me, well I think he proved that in the tape again this week. His speed and elusiveness are rare, once Duval puts about 15 to 20 pounds on him he’s going to be a nightmare for B1G defenses. Ozigbo was mister reliable as usual. He’s my favorite of the group simply because I love his running style, but with the way our line played Saturday we need guys like Bell and Washington that can make something out of nothing. Regardless he had some nice runs and is a great change of pace from Bell and Washington.

WRs 2 weeks, 2 really suspect performances from this group. I’ll say this about Stanley, if he’s getting the ball on the play, he’s the best receiver in the B1G. If he’s not getting the ball, he might as well be in the stands. His effort in blocking was terrible in this game, there was two times in the red zone he gets a block on the perimeter and we would score, and he’s basically standing around watching. I honestly shouldn’t be bagging on Stan that much because our entire receiving corps couldn’t block anybody Saturday save Spielman. The blocking was putrid all around from Stan, Mike Williams, Reimers, and Hunt. Not as bad on the drops this week all though Tyjon did have one killer drop over the middle. I thought JD had a really nice day catching the ball and running, he’s a really natural fit in that Duck R role and made a lot of noise off the screen game.

OL Sigh, back to reality. I was over the moon about this group last week but this group really let us down this week. Farniok had a rough outing to put it lightly, Conrad was not far behind him, I do think Conrad gets better as the game goes on though but athletically he’s always going to struggle against quality competition, Jaimes and Jerald were kind of a mixed bag, they would do some really good things one minute and then both get beat across their face the next. I don’t know what the rumors of Farmer storming off the field after getting benched were about because out of the group I’d say he had by far the best day. Bo Wilson was alright in the bit that I saw him, his errors were more mental than anything.

TEs by far the biggest disappointment of the day, there were probably a dozen times I was yelling at my computer screen at Stoll completely whiffing on blocks that could have been big runs had he not whiffed, he was killing us in the run game on the perimeter and on the inside. Not to mention the fumble he had early. I know Stoll is better than what he put on the field Saturday and hope he bounces back in Ann Arbor. On a positive note, I did think that Austin Allen had a much better outing Saturday than he did against CU his blocking was pretty good. Rafdal made that huge catch on 4th to keep us alive, his size and hands are going to be good moving forward, he needs to come along when it comes to blocking on the perimeter though.

Coaching Scott kept things really simple for Bunch this week, we ran a ton of inside zone and bubble screens and had some decent success with it. We have got to figure out our red zone woes though, we would march it up and down the field on these guys and then piss it down our leg in the red zone. One thing I will say is in the 2nd quarter we’re down 10 and he decides to kick a field goal at our 11 on 4th and 1. I really would have liked to see us go for it at that point to show and build confidence in our back up QB. Additionally, I hated the fade call to Stanley on 3rd down in the red zone. Every person in the stadium knew that’s what you were going to call and we were all the way over on the far hash. Scott’s too good a play caller to make a lazy call like that.

Defensive Takeaways

DL I thought overall this group had a really solid day, Freedom was big time stopping the run and had a really nice play to force a fumble from the QB. Carlos Davis also had a nice day too and had a nice sack. Stille had a hiccup and we got burned bad on a zone read, he needed to stay home so the QB wouldn’t keep it and rip up the back of our defense but he crashed hard on the back and got burned badly. Daimion Daniels, man, as far as I’m concerned, this kid is Mike Riley’s parting gift to Nebraska football. I honestly think he’s already better than Mick. Mick might still have a leg up in the passing game but through two games Damion Daniels is a star in the making in Lincoln. Speaking of Mick I think he did some nice things on Saturday as well, I will say I think he’s more of a natural 3-4 end than nose, He stands straight up on every play, luckily he’s so damn strong it doesn’t matter cause nobody can move him. Deontre Thomas also had some nice plays this week. Peyton Newell got pushed around the time he was in, I think if we had more depth they’d move him to end but until we get more he’s probably our best bet for depth at NG.

ILBs Mo was wreaking havoc early and often, he reminds me a lot of Lavonte David, he can get across the field in no time at all and lay the wood, he covers up a lot of warts on our defense simply because of how good he is, which is why it was such a killer to lose him to that targeting call. I think it’s crap he got kicked out but when you look at the rule, it was targeting, that rule needs to be changed, but I digress. Things kind of snowballed on us when Honas got in, his first few drives were not good. He was getting to the right spots but he has no physicality to him when he hits, it was a little better as the game wore on but I have yet to see him drop the hammer on anyone, I don’t know if he has it in him quite frankly. He and Dedrick were also struggling to communicate, there were 2 or 3 times where he and Dedrick were covering the same guy or same gap and we got burned on it badly. Losing Mo cost us in a big way.

OLBs Not too much to say here, Gifford and Tyrin got this on lock, really good performances from both of them all day long, Gifford does a great job of getting after the QB and I don’t know if anyone tackles better in the open field than Tyrin.

DBs Troy's game plan in the passing game was really simple, throw the ball to whoever Lamar Jackson was covering, and admittedly my game plan would be the exact same against us, because it worked quite well. I don’t believe Troy threw at Bootle once all day, they were going after Lamar early and often and he got burned multiple times, the worst of which was on a crossing route where Lamar was playing way too soft and Troy ripped it for about 45 yards. I thought Tre Neal had a much better second performance better tackling and in coverage, and Aaron Williams is a grown ass man. Loved what I saw from him and totally agree that he earned his black shirt after his performance on Saturday. Reed does a nice job of coming down in the run game and laying the wood to folks but he’s also pretty suspect in pass coverage, between him and Lamar we have quite a liability back there, there’s a reason they are the only 2 starters without black shirts at this point.

Coaching I thought Chin called a good game, it’s going to be tough anytime you lose your Mike backer in the middle of a game especially when he’s as good as Mo is. Overall, I thought they played really well, it’s hard to believe how far he’s taken this defense from where they were last year.

Offensive Notes

11 Personnel, Twins R, Stoll Motions from L to R H back spot, Pass, sprint out R, Bunch makes a nice read, sees the S has his hips turned toward JD and fires a strike to Stan on a 5 yard out for a pickup of 5.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, H back motions R to L, Stoll kicks out to block the R edge, Farmer and Conrad get beat by the NG, Bell makes a pretty jump cut to get outside, Stoll gets a nice block, Stans does a poor job of blocking and his man stumbles Bell after a gain of 8. This could have been a TD because JD and Reimers had their men blocked.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, inside zone read, Sam stays put, (this must be a pre-snap RPO, because JD was open and Reimers had a great block for the bubble) Gives to Bell for a gain of 2.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Stoll motioned R to L, PA, Bunch sprints out to the left but a defender is unblocked and coming straight at him and Bunch can’t get away and takes the sack. This is where having AM would have helped a lot because he blows by this defender and gets yards here. Loss of 10.

10 Personnel, Twins R, JD in backfield with Bunch and Bell, motions L, inside zone, Jerald and Conrad double team NG, Conrad leaves to get to next level and Jerald can’t hold the block and the NG stops Bell after a gain of 3.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, Stoll flexed R, JD motions from Slot L to R, inside zone read, Troy sends a SAM blitz and Farniok gets beat across his face and blows up the play Ozigbo does his best to get back to the line no gain.

11 Personnel, Twins R, we run Power and pull Jaimes from LT, Conrad can’t get the NG by himself so Jaimes has got to double team instead of going to get the backer, Ozigbo explodes through a little shake and bake and a gain of 11.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, Stoll motions L to R, inside zone, Stoll kicks left, Bunch sees WILL sliding in and keeps it and gets to the sideline after a gain of 11.

11 Personnel, Twins L, Ozigbo motions R from backfield, quick screen to JD, Jaimes can’t get up field fast enough and JD is tackled by a DB for no gain.

11 Personnel, twins L, Ozigbo motions R from backfield to make it 2 by 2, time to throw but no one is open, Bunch extends the play R, SAM comes flying in to take Bunch’s head off and makes a high throw to Stoll in traffic who makes a helluva play to grab it, Stoll tries to spin out of the tackle and the ball pops out, for a turnover.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, Stoll motions L to R, Power with Jerald pulling, not blocked very well at all and there isn’t much of anything there, Mo Washington sees this and cuts it back outside for a gain of 29.

12 Personnel, Twins R, Off Tackle R, Farniok gets beat across his face, Mo makes a beautiful cut and breaks DE’s ankles and dives ahead for maybe a gain of 1.

12 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, Stoll motions L to R, False start on Austin Allen

11 Personnel, Bunched Twins R, H back L, Stoll kicks R, inside zone read, Stoll gets destroyed by DE, Mo spins out of DE’s tackle and tries to break it outside, fumbles but we get a break and keep the ball after a loss of 9. We get even more of a break and Troy gets flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct and we get 15 yards and a first down instead of 3rd and forever.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, Power with a Farniok pull, Mo makes about 3 guys miss and we gain 8.

11 Personnel, Twins L, pass, Jaimes gets beat across his face, Bunch extends the play L, makes a stupid decision to run it out of bounds for a loss of 3 when he should have just chucked it into the stands.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, Stoll motions L to R, Pass, Stoll misses his block (honest question do our TEs ever practice blocking? They are awful at it!) Bunch sprints R, 2 guys sprinting towards him looks like he has somewhat of a lane where he could scramble for the 1st but throws it into double coverage and it’s picked.

12 Personnel, Twins R, Pistol, we run a buck sweep pulling Conrad and Farniok, Conrad gets beat across his face by a blitzing LB and Devine gets tackled at our 2-yard line.

12 Personnel, H back R, 1 by 1, Motion Mike Williams from L to R, inside zone read, give to Ozigbo, we have hat on hat and Devine gets a gain of 10.

12 Personnel, H back R, 1 by 1, motion Mike Williams from L to R, inside zone read, Conrad and Jerald leg the NG go unblocked, Devine does a helluva job to get back to the line.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD lined up in the backfield with Bell, motions L behind twins, inside zone read, SAM stays home, Bunch pulls it and hits JD on a bubble, good blocking by Allen and Mike Williams and JD picks up 15.

11 Personnel, Twins R, JD lines up in the backfield with Bell, motions R behind twins, inside zone read, SDE stays home, Bunch hits JD on a bubble, good blocking by Allen and Stan for an 11-yard gain.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD in backfield, motions R away from twins, inside zone read, Bunch sees end staying home and gives to Greg, beautiful jump cut to get away from an awful block by Conrad, good blocks by rest of OL, Bell makes a man miss and runs over the safety for a gain of 11.

11 Personnel, Twins R, Tyjon in backfield, motions Tyjon L away from twins, PA, Bunch looks at bubble then up the middle and throws it to Stan, looks like Stan might have had a chance had Bunch thrown it to the outside instead he throws it into double coverage and is nearly intercepted. incomplete

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, inside zone read SAM stays put and the give is to Bell, Conrad gets thrown aside by the NG, Greg does a fabulous job to evade and bounce it outside, Farniok and Farmer do a nice job of getting blocks, Bell makes a man miss and gets a gain of 8. Really nice play by Bell much more impressed by him than I was in CU game.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, inside zone read, WILL stays home, Bunch gives to Bell, Bell finds a hole, the NG threw off Conrad again and almost got to Bell, but Bell bursts through and grabs 7 yards.

11 Personnel, Twins L, Tyjon in backfield, motion Tyjon L behind twins, PA, bubble to Tyjon, decent blocking by Allen and Mike Williams and we pick up 6.

11 Personnel, Twins R, inside zone read, SAM stays put, Bunch gives to Bell, blocking is pretty poor all around but we still grab 3 yards.

11 Personnel, Twins R, inside zone read, Allen blocks the zone read key instead of the Mike who he is supposed to be blocking and he comes in unblocked and we can’t get a yard to convert on 3rd and 1. Killer mistake.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD in backfield, motions JD behind twins, PA, looks to JD, setting up a slip screen to Mo, Jerald lets a defender waltz right into the backfield, Bunch does a nice job under pressure to get it to Mo but Conrad and Farmer both miss the only defender in the area, it’s a damn shame too cause the field was wide open had they made this block, no gain.

12 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Stoll motions R to L, PA, beautiful throw to Stan over the middle, Stan cuts it in when he probably should have bounced it out, gain of 29.

12 Personnel, Twins L, Pistol, Power L with Farmer pulling, Farniok and Conrad both get beat across their face, Mo cuts it back, gets a nice block by Allen, and bounces it outside for a gain of 21.

12 Personnel, Twins L, Pistol, inside zone read, SAM stays home, gives to Mo, this is really well blocked by the line but Stan is wandering out in space no blocking anyone and we only get 2.

12 Personnel, H back R, 1 by 1, motion JD from R for what looks like a crack, PA, Bunch rifles it between a crowd of defenders to Stan on a crossing route for a TOUCHDOWN.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, motions JD from L slot to R, PA, bubble to JD, piss poor blocking by Rafdal and Troy gets away with a facemask, gain of 1.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, pass, Bunch throws it into double coverage to Stan, incomplete. Hard to tell from this camera angle but it looks like he had guys open underneath.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, pass, Bunch looking deep, Conrad falls down and his man gets in Bunch’s face, Bunch extends the play R and fires a low bullet to Tyjon, incomplete.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Stoll motions R to L, inside zone read, WILL stays home, gives to Bell, Farmer and Stoll both get beat, Bell zips through a hole and lays a smackdown on a safety for a gain of 14.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD in backfield, motions JD L behind twins, inside zone read, SAM stays out, Jaimes is getting beat so Bell tries to bounce it outside and makes a backer miss after a gain of 5.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, JD motions from L slot to R, jet R, Bell gets a nice block against a way bigger DE, Andre Hunt is out dancing with a corner will a linebacker blows by him and tackles JD after a gain of 1.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, Tyjon motions from R slot to L, pass, Farmer and Farniok get blown away by DE, who is immediately in Bunch’s face, Bunch stands in and delivers a low ball to Stan who does a helluva job to catch the ball and get the 1st after a gain of 9.

11 Personnel, twins L, Tyjon in backfield, Tyjon motions L behind twins, PA, trying to set up a slip screen for Bell, Jaimes gets beat and Bunch has to take a sack.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, PA, throws a strike to Tyjon over the middle who drops it. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Stoll motions R to L, Pass, sprint out L, under heavy pressure, checks it down to Bell for a gain of 7.

12 Personnel, Overload R, 1 by 1, Pistol, Power R, Troy defends this well and Devine has to bounce it outside, Jerald can’t decide who he’s gonna block and Devine is chased down after a gain of 1.

12 Personnel, Twins R, Overload R, Power R, Troy muddies this up, Devine needs to bounce this outside, he does that and he probably houses it, instead he bangs inside and gains 1.

13 Personnel, Stan alone on the far hash, Pass, fade to Stan, one of the most obvious calls I’ve seen in my years watching Nebraska, 90000 people knew exactly where this was going, decent throw but well defended by Troy, would’ve liked to see a more imaginative call here.

11 Personnel, Trips L, inside zone read, SAM comes screaming in at Mo, Bunch pulls hits JD on a bubble, awful perimeter blocking by Andre Hunt, and on top of that he gets a block in the back.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, Speed option, SDE crashes hard, I don’t know who the option key was here cause neither Farniok or Stoll even attempted to block their man. Bunch pitches to Mo who has a crowd of Troy defenders in his face, he pushes it outside and loses 5.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, Bunch drops a perfectly delivered snap, tries to scoop it up and run and never gets it Farniok falls on it for a gain of 1.

11 Personnel, Trips R, pass, Bunch checks it down to Mo who falls down and his facemask gets grabbed, no call, penalty on Troy, fresh set of downs.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Allen motioned R to L, inside zone read, SAM stays home, Farniok gets beat, Bo Wilson doesn’t see the WILL blitzing and he gets to Mo at the LOS no gain.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD in backfield, JD motioned R, inside zone read, DE crashes on back, Bunch makes the wrong read and gives it to Mo, Bo Wilson gets beat across his face, Mo bounces it outside, Allen gets in the way enough and Mo grabs a gain of 14.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, Stoll motions L to R, inside zone read, Bunch keeps, has a lane outside by Jaimes has a piss poor block, Bunch bounces it inside and gets maybe 2.

11 Personnel, Trips L, Bubble to JD, Mike Williams gets a nice block, TOUCHDOWN, or it would have been had Stoll not had a useless f*cking holding. UGH!

11 Personnel, Twins R, JD in backfield, JD motioned R behind twins, inside zone, SDE slow plays, Bunch gives to Mo, Mo bounces it outside, if Jaimes gets his head out of his ass and blocks the backer its probably a touchdown but of course that can’t happen. Gain of 4.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, JD motions from R slot to backfield, fakes the sweep to JD and goes QB power, Farniok plays patty cake with a linebacker who slides down the LOS and makes a tackle after a gain of 2.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, Stoll motions R to L, PA, Bunch zips it to Stan on the sideline for a gain of 8.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, inside zone read, Stoll gets beat across his face, Bell gets tripped up in the backfield for a loss of 3.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, JD motions from L slot R to make it Trips R, PA, Bell does a pathetic attempt at a cut block and whiffs so Bunch extends the play R, tucks it and runs for the first after he gets hammered after stepping out of bounds, easily could have been a late hit there.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD in backfield, JD motions L behind twins, inside zone read, Bunch reads Mike staying home and gives it to Bell, Reimers has one of the worst excuses for a block I’ve ever seen, Farniok’s man gets off him in a hurry, Bell falls ahead for a gain of 3.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, JD motions from R slot L, to make it Trips L, inside zone read, Bunch makes the wrong read, and gives it to Bell, SAM went with JD so there was not a soul over where Bunch could have run it and Bell drags a pile for a gain of 4.

11 Personnel, Twins L, Power L, pulling Farmer, Farniok gets blown off the ball and Bell cuts it back to get back to the line.

11 Personnel, Trips R, JD jet motions R to L, Pass, horrible attempt by Farniok at a cut block, DE immediately in Bunch’s face, rips his facemask should have been a penalty, Bunch tries to extend the play right and the SAM strips the ball out, Mo picks it up and gets a couple yards.

No clue what happened on that play, thanks BTN.

11 Personnel, Trips R, JD jet motions R to L to make it 2 by 2, inside zone read, MIKE stays put and Bunch gives to Mo, Mo trips himself up and picks up 4.

11 Personnel, Twins R, Mo motions R behind twins, Jaimes and Farniok both get blown by and Bunch steps up and escapes for a gain of 5 and we get a facemask for an extra 15.

11 Personnel, Twins R, JD in backfield, JD motions R behind twins, inside zone read, SAM comes up and slow plays it, Bunch feeds Mo, Farmer gets beat across his face, and Mo is tackled for a loss of 5.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, PA, all day to throw, Bunch checks it down to Mo and makes a guy miss to pick up 9.

11 Personnel, Trips L, inside zone read, WILL stays put and Bunch gives it to Ozigbo, pretty nicely blocked here except for Farmer whose man got penetration, so Ozigbo bounces it left to the trips side, and picks up 6 yards, Jaimes gets called on a hold, and our 1st down turns into 3rd and 15.

11 Personnel, Trips L, pass, checks it down to Ozigbo for a gain of 8.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, pass, Switch concepts on both sides, Bunch looks to the short side with JD and Stan, then comes backside and hits Rafdal on a beauty for a 25-yard gain.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, inside zone read, Troy is gassed we get hat on hat and Ozigbo scampers ahead for a gain of 8.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, inside zone read, WILL stays put, gives to Ozigbo, for as unorganized as Troy was on this play the fact that we could only block it well enough to get a yard is not good.

11 Personnel, Trips R, PA , Bunch bangs it to JD on a bubble, JD makes a guy miss and dives into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN.

11 Personnel, Trips L bunched, Bunch has JD on a little delayed hitch route, throw is high, incomplete, conversion fails.

11 Personnel, Trips L, low snap, pass, WILL crashes in unblocked, Bunch extends play R, chucks it out of bounds to stop the clock.

Empty L, pass, Bunch sails it just a bit to JD, JD tips it up and it’s picked. Bunch had Stan wide open on a slant, don’t know where that was at in his read progression though.

Defensive Notes

1 Personnel, Twins L, Motions L Slot to Jet R from under center, Gifford does a nice job of getting off his block and the blackshirts do a solid job of flying to the ball and run him out of bounds

11 Personnel, Gun 2 by 2, Inside zone read with bubble to the short side, Gifford takes the bubble so QB keeps, Tre Neal and Mo Barry do a nice job of flying to QB and Troy only picks up 3.

10 Personnel, Trips L, PA bubble Screen to Trips, good blocks by Troy WRs, Aaron Williams comes flying in to stop Troy 2 yards short for a 3 and out.

20 Personnel, Twins L, Motions RB L, Pass, Carlos gets great pressure in QBs face, QB steps up and Gifford is there to get the sack, loss of 4.

20 Personnel, H back R, Pass, Lamar Jackson lined up way too far off the WR he’s 4 yards off and needs to be in press here and he gets burned across his face, on a shallow cross, he scampers downfield for a gain of 39 before Aaron Williams drags him down.

10 Personnel, Trips R, RB motions R to behind Trips, QB power with RT pulling, Peyton Newell gets destroyed and Mo Barry gets sucked into a block, Mo does a helluva job to get off his block and take the QB down after a gain of 5.

20 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, PA, we blitz Aaron Williams off the edge he swats the ball, incomplete.

10 Personnel, Gun 2 by 2, L slot motions R, Jet R, Dedrick kind of runs into the blocker and gets too outside and forces the ball carrier inside, Mo gets enough of a piece of him to stop him for a gain of 4 and keep him from getting the 1st on 3rd down.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, Pass, Troy cut blocks and hits their RB on a flare screen behind the twins Aaron Williams comes up and he and Ty Ferguson tackle him after a gain of 4.

11 Personnel, Trips R bunch, Toss R, Tyrin Ferguson blows through and get a TFL for a loss of 2.

11 Personnel, Twins R, TE flexed 3 yards L, PA, Sprint out L, Ben Stille does a poor job of containing but gets to him mid throw, Troy WR has Lamar Jackson beat by 5 yards but ball is 5 yards underthrown and Lamar plays centerfield and has enough strength to keep it from being stolen and make the pick.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, Slot L motions R, inside zone, Khalil gets caught peeking at the QB and RB exchange, Daimion Daniels destroys the C, Khalil can’t grab the RB at the line and Antonio Reed comes up and nearly takes the RBs head off after a gain of 5.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, Slot L motions R, inside zone triple option, inside give, Honas comes around and looks to stumble him and Reed comes in and kills him after a gain 2.

11 Personnel, Gun 2 by 2, pass, lots of time to throw, gets it to his left slot receiver on a drag route with Dedrick in great coverage, Dedrick tackles him at the line for no gain.

11 Personnel, Trips R, QB sweep R, Tyrin comes up and gets held bad, Mo Barry gets off his block and tackles the QB for no gain.

10 Personnel, Gun 2 by 2 I think, damn camera zoom, inside zone read, Stille sucks in to the back and the QB keeps, Mo gets sucked in too and blocked and there isn’t a soul over there to tackle him, Dedrick couldn’t catch him, Aaaron Williams chases him down after a huge gain.

21 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, QB Power R, Carlos gets him down for no gain, Mo comes in late and hits the QB in the head, Lamar Jackson honestly could have been called for targeting on this play too, much rather would have had him ejected than Mo.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Motions slot man, inside zone triple option, Gifford slow plays it and QB gives to RB, Khalil got blown off the ball but did a nice job of getting off the block and making a tackle after a gain of 2.

21 Personnel, Twins L, motions L slot into backfield, inside zone triple option, gives to the RB, Honas fills nicely and promptly lets the RB waltz by into the endzone for a TD.

11 Personnel, Twins R, Power L, Daimion Daniels, Freedom, and Deontre Thomas muck up the running lanes and Honas and Dedrick fill nicely and get a tackle for a loss of 2.

21 Personnel, Twins R, RB motions R behind twins, inside zone with a bubble, QB keeps and wants to hit the bubble but Freedom blows by his man and the QB fumbles it out of bounds for a loss of 8.

10 Personnel, Trips L, inside zone read gives to RB, Deontre Thomas does a nice job getting off his block and tackling the RB after a gain of 7. 3 and out.

10 Personnel, 2 by 2, motions R slot L, Jet pass, L, Gifford does a nice job getting a shoe string TFL for a loss of 2.

10 Personnel, 2 by 2, high snap, loss of 7 yards.

Victory formation, QB knee, halftime.

10 Personnel, 2 by 2, middle screen to R slot WR, well blocked and it picks up 14, nice call.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, R slot motions L, inside zone give to RB, Stille does a nice job of getting off his block off his block and tackling him after a gain 2.

10 Personnel, Trips R, motions middle Trips man L, to make it 2 by 2, Pass, bangs a 3-yard hook as Lamar is playing 10 yards off, Awful tackling by he and Tyrin, Tre Neal makes the tackle after a gain of 15, Ty does a nice job of not giving up on it and gets an assist.

10 Personnel, Trips L, Pass, good coverage, under pressure QB tries to float it into receiver on near sideline but he can’t quite make the grab good coverage by Lamar.

11 Personnel, Twins L, inside zone read, Gifford stays put, gives to RB, Honas does a beautiful job of filling and makes a nice tackle for no gain.

10 Personnel, Trips L, pass, middle screen from L middle man of trips, nice tackle by Antonio to stop him after a gain of 4.

10 Personnel, 2 by 2, pass, throws it over the middle, PBU by Tre Neal. Incomplete turnover on downs.

11 Personnel, Trips R, counter R, Dedrick can’t get through a blocker, Honas bear hugs him and lets a 160 pound back carry him 4 yards for a gain of 7.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, quick screen R, Wr dances around, Tre Neal gets him out after a gain of 2 or 3.

12 Personnel, 1 by 1, sweep R, we get caught inside Tre misses a tackle and Dedrick tackles him after a gain of about 12.

20 Personnel, 1 by 1, motions Rb L, pass, great pressure by Carlos he grabs hold of QBs legs and spins him down for the sack.

20 Personnel, Twins L, RB motions L, bubble L, Aaron Williams with a nice open field tackle after a gain of around 4.

10 Personnel, Trips R, Pass, all day to throw, QB steps up and tries to check it down, the WR falls down after a gain of 3.

11 Personnel, 1 by 1, Pistol, L WR motions R, Fake jet Power L, Damion Daniels blows his man off the ball recognizes the play, gets down the line of scrimmage and gets a hold of the back and drags him down for no gain.

10 Personnel, 2 by 2, L WR jet motion R, fake Jet fake Power R, PA, Backers get sucked in slot receiver is wide open on a slant, looks like Dedrick may have tipped it and the WR drops it. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, Twins R, pass, sprint out R, they run what looks like a switch concept and Reed can’t quite get to him in time, gain of 12 on 3rd and 9.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, R Slot motions around backs, inside zone triple option, Gifford takes the dive, Dedrick muddies the pitch, QB bounces it into Honas who wraps him up for a gain of 1.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, R slot motions around backs, PA, good time to throw has a man on a crossing route who has a couple yards on Lamar, Lamar gets his hand in at the last second and gets a PBU, incomplete.

10 Personnel, Trips L, pass, we send Dedrick on a blitz unblocked up the middle, QB wants an out-route incomplete, we get a phantom pass interference, first down for Troy.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, L slot motions around backs, bad snap QB nearly fumbles it and falls ahead for a yard or two.

10 Personnel, 2 by 2, R slot WR middle Screen, Reed sniffs it out and brings him down with the help of Damion Daniels.

10 Personnel, Trips L, motions RB behind Trips, QB draw, Honas and Dedrick both go to cover the RB motioning out, nobody left in the middle of the field, Tre Neal gets a tackle after a gain of 15.

10 Personnel, Trips L, QB Power L, Khalil gets sealed inside, Dedrick does a nice job getting off his blocks Honas almost gets to him until Aaron Williams hits Honas, Troy WR has a blatant holding call, this one gets pushed back.

11 Personnel, Trips R, H back R, Middle Trips man Jet motion R, inside zone, Dedrick and Honas are way too close to one another and get sucked outside, wide open hole in the middle, Honas makes a poor attempt to tackle, Touchdown.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, R slot motions L a yard L of QB then turns around and comes back toward him, straight dive, Tyrin is all over it and gets a TFL for a loss of 2.

11 Personnel, 1 by 1, H back R, PA, bootleg R, QB pressured by Honas chucks it into the stands.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, L slot motions behind backs, inside zone triple option, gives to the RB, Freedom gets off his block and tackles him after a gain of 2.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, inside zone read, Troy gets hat on hat Honas gets fooled by the fake, this would have gone to the house had Troy’s RB not tripped himself up. gain of 7.

12 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, inside zone read, Gifford takes the QB, Honas fills nicely and wraps up the RB on the give.

13 Personnel, Single R, H backs L and R, QB power R, QB barrels ahead and Damion Daniels drags him down after a gain of 4.

Victory formation, knee, ballgame.

Last edited:
Great job! I do however disagree with your assessment about Bunch in the Zone Read, and how the result would've not been much different with Martinez. Andrew left a 100 yard rushing performance on the field, and often forced the offensive line to account for 6 guys with only 5 blockers. This scheme is a shell of itself when the defense can avoid accounting for the QB on every play.

Now, don't get me wrong. Andrew Bunch is a 3rd or 4th string caliber walk on QB. It would be rather myopic of me to expect a dynamic performance out of him. He did not get enough help from his teammates. You're correct with that sentiment.

But nice observation about the down field and perimeter blocking by the wideouts and tight ends. It was atrocious.

Were you able to watch special teams film at all?

Sorry about the delay this week, I wanted to have it out earlier but had a hectic week at work and it actually took me awhile to get a recording of the game. Now onto the game…

Overall Takeaways This game got hard to watch after the 1st quarter, really frustrating to see the lack of execution, penalties, miscommunications, and turnovers this team had. It would be easy to blame this loss all on Bunch but the fact of the matter is this was a team loss. The blocking at times from the OL was piss poor and was nearly at all times piss poor from the receivers and tight ends. I thought the defense did a lot of good but we still have some holes in the secondary that need to be addressed. Then I got to thinking about this team a little bit more. We are a very young, inexperienced team that doesn’t know how to win yet. The experience we do have isn’t very good and we don’t have much depth in a lot of key positions. Bottom line, we have a long way to go. I still think we’ll surprise some people this year and we’ll play some really good teams really close but it’s going to take a lot more time than I think most of us were hoping for to get this thing back to what we want it to be. So let’s all be patient and enjoy watching this thing get built back up brick by brick and day by day.

Offensive Takeaways

QBs I know everyone would like to think with Adrian we win this game by 2 or 3 touchdowns, but after watching the film, I’m not sure that’s the case. Bunch did some good things in this game. Don’t get me wrong Bunch was far from perfect, he made some bad reads in the passing game and the zone read game in particular but he played well enough for us to win and better than a lot of people are giving him credit for. He’s a capable back up and assuming we get a 12th game, I still think it would be possible for us to make a bowl game if he had to play the whole year, likely? Probably not. But he can make the required throws to run the offense, I’d honestly give Bunch probably a B or B- grade for the day considering it was his first start.

RBs Every cloud has a silver lining and the silver lining Saturday was our running backs. Held has this group humming. I wasn’t overly impressed with Bell after the CU game but I can see why this staff is so high on him after watching this film. He popped in this one, he was making something out of nothing quite often and was finishing runs hard dragging defenders with him, something I hope we see going forward. All in all, I’m excited by what I saw out of Bell. I told you guys last week that Maurice Washington was special and had Reggie Bush level elusiveness, some of you didn’t believe me, well I think he proved that in the tape again this week. His speed and elusiveness are rare, once Duval puts about 15 to 20 pounds on him he’s going to be a nightmare for B1G defenses. Ozigbo was mister reliable as usual. He’s my favorite of the group simply because I love his running style, but with the way our line played Saturday we need guys like Bell and Washington that can make something out of nothing. Regardless he had some nice runs and is a great change of pace from Bell and Washington.

WRs 2 weeks, 2 really suspect performances from this group. I’ll say this about Stanley, if he’s getting the ball on the play, he’s the best receiver in the B1G. If he’s not getting the ball, he might as well be in the stands. His effort in blocking was terrible in this game, there was two times in the red zone he gets a block on the perimeter and we would score, and he’s basically standing around watching. I honestly shouldn’t be bagging on Stan that much because our entire receiving corps couldn’t block anybody Saturday save Spielman. The blocking was putrid all around from Stan, Mike Williams, Reimers, and Hunt. Not as bad on the drops this week all though Tyjon did have one killer drop over the middle. I thought JD had a really nice day catching the ball and running, he’s a really natural fit in that Duck R role and made a lot of noise off the screen game.

OL Sigh, back to reality. I was over the moon about this group last week but this group really let us down this week. Farniok had a rough outing to put it lightly, Conrad was not far behind him, I do think Conrad gets better as the game goes on though but athletically he’s always going to struggle against quality competition, Jaimes and Jerald were kind of a mixed bag, they would do some really good things one minute and then both get beat across their face the next. I don’t know what the rumors of Farmer storming off the field after getting benched were about because out of the group I’d say he had by far the best day. Bo Wilson was alright in the bit that I saw him, his errors were more mental than anything.

TEs by far the biggest disappointment of the day, there were probably a dozen times I was yelling at my computer screen at Stoll completely whiffing on blocks that could have been big runs had he not whiffed, he was killing us in the run game on the perimeter and on the inside. Not to mention the fumble he had early. I know Stoll is better than what he put on the field Saturday and hope he bounces back in Ann Arbor. On a positive note, I did think that Austin Allen had a much better outing Saturday than he did against CU his blocking was pretty good. Rafdal made that huge catch on 4th to keep us alive, his size and hands are going to be good moving forward, he needs to come along when it comes to blocking on the perimeter though.

Coaching Scott kept things really simple for Bunch this week, we ran a ton of inside zone and bubble screens and had some decent success with it. We have got to figure out our red zone woes though, we would march it up and down the field on these guys and then piss it down our leg in the red zone. One thing I will say is in the 2nd quarter we’re down 10 and he decides to kick a field goal at our 11 on 4th and 1. I really would have liked to see us go for it at that point to show and build confidence in our back up QB. Additionally, I hated the fade call to Stanley on 3rd down in the red zone. Every person in the stadium knew that’s what you were going to call and we were all the way over on the far hash. Scott’s too good a play caller to make a lazy call like that.

Defensive Takeaways

DL I thought overall this group had a really solid day, Freedom was big time stopping the run and had a really nice play to force a fumble from the QB. Carlos Davis also had a nice day too and had a nice sack. Stille had a hiccup and we got burned bad on a zone read, he needed to stay home so the QB wouldn’t keep it and rip up the back of our defense but he crashed hard on the back and got burned badly. Daimion Daniels, man, as far as I’m concerned, this kid is Mike Riley’s parting gift to Nebraska football. I honestly think he’s already better than Mick. Mick might still have a leg up in the passing game but through two games Damion Daniels is a star in the making in Lincoln. Speaking of Mick I think he did some nice things on Saturday as well, I will say I think he’s more of a natural 3-4 end than nose, He stands straight up on every play, luckily he’s so damn strong it doesn’t matter cause nobody can move him. Deontre Thomas also had some nice plays this week. Peyton Newell got pushed around the time he was in, I think if we had more depth they’d move him to end but until we get more he’s probably our best bet for depth at NG.

ILBs Mo was wreaking havoc early and often, he reminds me a lot of Lavonte David, he can get across the field in no time at all and lay the wood, he covers up a lot of warts on our defense simply because of how good he is, which is why it was such a killer to lose him to that targeting call. I think it’s crap he got kicked out but when you look at the rule, it was targeting, that rule needs to be changed, but I digress. Things kind of snowballed on us when Honas got in, his first few drives were not good. He was getting to the right spots but he has no physicality to him when he hits, it was a little better as the game wore on but I have yet to see him drop the hammer on anyone, I don’t know if he has it in him quite frankly. He and Dedrick were also struggling to communicate, there were 2 or 3 times where he and Dedrick were covering the same guy or same gap and we got burned on it badly. Losing Mo cost us in a big way.

OLBs Not too much to say here, Gifford and Tyrin got this on lock, really good performances from both of them all day long, Gifford does a great job of getting after the QB and I don’t know if anyone tackles better in the open field than Tyrin.

DBs Troy's game plan in the passing game was really simple, throw the ball to whoever Lamar Jackson was covering, and admittedly my game plan would be the exact same against us, because it worked quite well. I don’t believe Troy threw at Bootle once all day, they were going after Lamar early and often and he got burned multiple times, the worst of which was on a crossing route where Lamar was playing way too soft and Troy ripped it for about 45 yards. I thought Tre Neal had a much better second performance better tackling and in coverage, and Aaron Williams is a grown ass man. Loved what I saw from him and totally agree that he earned his black shirt after his performance on Saturday. Reed does a nice job of coming down in the run game and laying the wood to folks but he’s also pretty suspect in pass coverage, between him and Lamar we have quite a liability back there, there’s a reason they are the only 2 starters without black shirts at this point.

Coaching I thought Chin called a good game, it’s going to be tough anytime you lose your Mike backer in the middle of a game especially when he’s as good as Mo is. Overall, I thought they played really well, it’s hard to believe how far he’s taken this defense from where they were last year.

Offensive Notes

11 Personnel, Twins R, Stoll Motions from L to R H back spot, Pass, sprint out R, Bunch makes a nice read, sees the S has his hips turned toward JD and fires a strike to Stan on a 5 yard out for a pickup of 5.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, H back motions R to L, Stoll kicks out to block the R edge, Farmer and Conrad get beat by the NG, Bell makes a pretty jump cut to get outside, Stoll gets a nice block, Stans does a poor job of blocking and his man stumbles Bell after a gain of 8. This could have been a TD because JD and Reimers had their men blocked.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, inside zone read, Sam stays put, (this must be a pre-snap RPO, because JD was open and Reimers had a great block for the bubble) Gives to Bell for a gain of 2.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Stoll motioned R to L, PA, Bunch sprints out to the left but a defender is unblocked and coming straight at him and Bunch can’t get away and takes the sack. This is where having AM would have helped a lot because he blows by this defender and gets yards here. Loss of 10.

10 Personnel, Twins R, JD in backfield with Bunch and Bell, motions L, inside zone, Jerald and Conrad double team NG, Conrad leaves to get to next level and Jerald can’t hold the block and the NG stops Bell after a gain of 3.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, Stoll flexed R, JD motions from Slot L to R, inside zone read, Troy sends a SAM blitz and Farniok gets beat across his face and blows up the play Ozigbo does his best to get back to the line no gain.

11 Personnel, Twins R, we run Power and pull Jaimes from LT, Conrad can’t get the NG by himself so Jaimes has got to double team instead of going to get the backer, Ozigbo explodes through a little shake and bake and a gain of 11.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, Stoll motions L to R, inside zone, Stoll kicks left, Bunch sees WILL sliding in and keeps it and gets to the sideline after a gain of 11.

11 Personnel, Twins L, Ozigbo motions R from backfield, quick screen to JD, Jaimes can’t get up field fast enough and JD is tackled by a DB for no gain.

11 Personnel, twins L, Ozigbo motions R from backfield to make it 2 by 2, time to throw but no one is open, Bunch extends the play R, SAM comes flying in to take Bunch’s head off and makes a high throw to Stoll in traffic who makes a helluva play to grab it, Stoll tries to spin out of the tackle and the ball pops out, for a turnover.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, Stoll motions L to R, Power with Jerald pulling, not blocked very well at all and there isn’t much of anything there, Mo Washington sees this and cuts it back outside for a gain of 29.

12 Personnel, Twins R, Off Tackle R, Farniok gets beat across his face, Mo makes a beautiful cut and breaks DE’s ankles and dives ahead for maybe a gain of 1.

12 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, Stoll motions L to R, False start on Austin Allen

11 Personnel, Bunched Twins R, H back L, Stoll kicks R, inside zone read, Stoll gets destroyed by DE, Mo spins out of DE’s tackle and tries to break it outside, fumbles but we get a break and keep the ball after a loss of 9. We get even more of a break and Troy gets flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct and we get 15 yards and a first down instead of 3rd and forever.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, Power with a Farniok pull, Mo makes about 3 guys miss and we gain 8.

11 Personnel, Twins L, pass, Jaimes gets beat across his face, Bunch extends the play L, makes a stupid decision to run it out of bounds for a loss of 3 when he should have just chucked it into the stands.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, Stoll motions L to R, Pass, Stoll misses his block (honest question do our TEs ever practice blocking? They are awful at it!) Bunch sprints R, 2 guys sprinting towards him looks like he has somewhat of a lane where he could scramble for the 1st but throws it into double coverage and it’s picked.

12 Personnel, Twins R, Pistol, we run a buck sweep pulling Conrad and Farniok, Conrad gets beat across his face by a blitzing LB and Devine gets tackled at our 2-yard line.

12 Personnel, H back R, 1 by 1, Motion Mike Williams from L to R, inside zone read, give to Ozigbo, we have hat on hat and Devine gets a gain of 10.

12 Personnel, H back R, 1 by 1, motion Mike Williams from L to R, inside zone read, Conrad and Jerald leg the NG go unblocked, Devine does a helluva job to get back to the line.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD lined up in the backfield with Bell, motions L behind twins, inside zone read, SAM stays home, Bunch pulls it and hits JD on a bubble, good blocking by Allen and Mike Williams and JD picks up 15.

11 Personnel, Twins R, JD lines up in the backfield with Bell, motions R behind twins, inside zone read, SDE stays home, Bunch hits JD on a bubble, good blocking by Allen and Stan for an 11-yard gain.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD in backfield, motions R away from twins, inside zone read, Bunch sees end staying home and gives to Greg, beautiful jump cut to get away from an awful block by Conrad, good blocks by rest of OL, Bell makes a man miss and runs over the safety for a gain of 11.

11 Personnel, Twins R, Tyjon in backfield, motions Tyjon L away from twins, PA, Bunch looks at bubble then up the middle and throws it to Stan, looks like Stan might have had a chance had Bunch thrown it to the outside instead he throws it into double coverage and is nearly intercepted. incomplete

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, inside zone read SAM stays put and the give is to Bell, Conrad gets thrown aside by the NG, Greg does a fabulous job to evade and bounce it outside, Farniok and Farmer do a nice job of getting blocks, Bell makes a man miss and gets a gain of 8. Really nice play by Bell much more impressed by him than I was in CU game.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, inside zone read, WILL stays home, Bunch gives to Bell, Bell finds a hole, the NG threw off Conrad again and almost got to Bell, but Bell bursts through and grabs 7 yards.

11 Personnel, Twins L, Tyjon in backfield, motion Tyjon L behind twins, PA, bubble to Tyjon, decent blocking by Allen and Mike Williams and we pick up 6.

11 Personnel, Twins R, inside zone read, SAM stays put, Bunch gives to Bell, blocking is pretty poor all around but we still grab 3 yards.

11 Personnel, Twins R, inside zone read, Allen blocks the zone read key instead of the Mike who he is supposed to be blocking and he comes in unblocked and we can’t get a yard to convert on 3rd and 1. Killer mistake.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD in backfield, motions JD behind twins, PA, looks to JD, setting up a slip screen to Mo, Jerald lets a defender waltz right into the backfield, Bunch does a nice job under pressure to get it to Mo but Conrad and Farmer both miss the only defender in the area, it’s a damn shame too cause the field was wide open had they made this block, no gain.

12 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Stoll motions R to L, PA, beautiful throw to Stan over the middle, Stan cuts it in when he probably should have bounced it out, gain of 29.

12 Personnel, Twins L, Pistol, Power L with Farmer pulling, Farniok and Conrad both get beat across their face, Mo cuts it back, gets a nice block by Allen, and bounces it outside for a gain of 21.

12 Personnel, Twins L, Pistol, inside zone read, SAM stays home, gives to Mo, this is really well blocked by the line but Stan is wandering out in space no blocking anyone and we only get 2.

12 Personnel, H back R, 1 by 1, motion JD from R for what looks like a crack, PA, Bunch rifles it between a crowd of defenders to Stan on a crossing route for a TOUCHDOWN.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, motions JD from L slot to R, PA, bubble to JD, piss poor blocking by Rafdal and Troy gets away with a facemask, gain of 1.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, pass, Bunch throws it into double coverage to Stan, incomplete. Hard to tell from this camera angle but it looks like he had guys open underneath.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, pass, Bunch looking deep, Conrad falls down and his man gets in Bunch’s face, Bunch extends the play R and fires a low bullet to Tyjon, incomplete.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Stoll motions R to L, inside zone read, WILL stays home, gives to Bell, Farmer and Stoll both get beat, Bell zips through a hole and lays a smackdown on a safety for a gain of 14.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD in backfield, motions JD L behind twins, inside zone read, SAM stays out, Jaimes is getting beat so Bell tries to bounce it outside and makes a backer miss after a gain of 5.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, JD motions from L slot to R, jet R, Bell gets a nice block against a way bigger DE, Andre Hunt is out dancing with a corner will a linebacker blows by him and tackles JD after a gain of 1.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, Tyjon motions from R slot to L, pass, Farmer and Farniok get blown away by DE, who is immediately in Bunch’s face, Bunch stands in and delivers a low ball to Stan who does a helluva job to catch the ball and get the 1st after a gain of 9.

11 Personnel, twins L, Tyjon in backfield, Tyjon motions L behind twins, PA, trying to set up a slip screen for Bell, Jaimes gets beat and Bunch has to take a sack.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, PA, throws a strike to Tyjon over the middle who drops it. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Stoll motions R to L, Pass, sprint out L, under heavy pressure, checks it down to Bell for a gain of 7.

12 Personnel, Overload R, 1 by 1, Pistol, Power R, Troy defends this well and Devine has to bounce it outside, Jerald can’t decide who he’s gonna block and Devine is chased down after a gain of 1.

12 Personnel, Twins R, Overload R, Power R, Troy muddies this up, Devine needs to bounce this outside, he does that and he probably houses it, instead he bangs inside and gains 1.

13 Personnel, Stan alone on the far hash, Pass, fade to Stan, one of the most obvious calls I’ve seen in my years watching Nebraska, 90000 people knew exactly where this was going, decent throw but well defended by Troy, would’ve liked to see a more imaginative call here.

11 Personnel, Trips L, inside zone read, SAM comes screaming in at Mo, Bunch pulls hits JD on a bubble, awful perimeter blocking by Andre Hunt, and on top of that he gets a block in the back.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, Speed option, SDE crashes hard, I don’t know who the option key was here cause neither Farniok or Stoll even attempted to block their man. Bunch pitches to Mo who has a crowd of Troy defenders in his face, he pushes it outside and loses 5.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, Bunch drops a perfectly delivered snap, tries to scoop it up and run and never gets it Farniok falls on it for a gain of 1.

11 Personnel, Trips R, pass, Bunch checks it down to Mo who falls down and his facemask gets grabbed, no call, penalty on Troy, fresh set of downs.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Allen motioned R to L, inside zone read, SAM stays home, Farniok gets beat, Bo Wilson doesn’t see the WILL blitzing and he gets to Mo at the LOS no gain.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD in backfield, JD motioned R, inside zone read, DE crashes on back, Bunch makes the wrong read and gives it to Mo, Bo Wilson gets beat across his face, Mo bounces it outside, Allen gets in the way enough and Mo grabs a gain of 14.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, Stoll motions L to R, inside zone read, Bunch keeps, has a lane outside by Jaimes has a piss poor block, Bunch bounces it inside and gets maybe 2.

11 Personnel, Trips L, Bubble to JD, Mike Williams gets a nice block, TOUCHDOWN, or it would have been had Stoll not had a useless f*cking holding. UGH!

11 Personnel, Twins R, JD in backfield, JD motioned R behind twins, inside zone, SDE slow plays, Bunch gives to Mo, Mo bounces it outside, if Jaimes gets his head out of his ass and blocks the backer its probably a touchdown but of course that can’t happen. Gain of 4.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, JD motions from R slot to backfield, fakes the sweep to JD and goes QB power, Farniok plays patty cake with a linebacker who slides down the LOS and makes a tackle after a gain of 2.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, Stoll motions R to L, PA, Bunch zips it to Stan on the sideline for a gain of 8.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, inside zone read, Stoll gets beat across his face, Bell gets tripped up in the backfield for a loss of 3.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, JD motions from L slot R to make it Trips R, PA, Bell does a pathetic attempt at a cut block and whiffs so Bunch extends the play R, tucks it and runs for the first after he gets hammered after stepping out of bounds, easily could have been a late hit there.

11 Personnel, Twins L, JD in backfield, JD motions L behind twins, inside zone read, Bunch reads Mike staying home and gives it to Bell, Reimers has one of the worst excuses for a block I’ve ever seen, Farniok’s man gets off him in a hurry, Bell falls ahead for a gain of 3.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, JD motions from R slot L, to make it Trips L, inside zone read, Bunch makes the wrong read, and gives it to Bell, SAM went with JD so there was not a soul over where Bunch could have run it and Bell drags a pile for a gain of 4.

11 Personnel, Twins L, Power L, pulling Farmer, Farniok gets blown off the ball and Bell cuts it back to get back to the line.

11 Personnel, Trips R, JD jet motions R to L, Pass, horrible attempt by Farniok at a cut block, DE immediately in Bunch’s face, rips his facemask should have been a penalty, Bunch tries to extend the play right and the SAM strips the ball out, Mo picks it up and gets a couple yards.

11 Personnel, Trips R, JD jet motions R to L to make it 2 by 2, inside zone read, MIKE stays put and Bunch gives to Mo, Mo trips himself up and picks up 4.

11 Personnel, Twins R, Mo motions R behind twins, Jaimes and Farniok both get blown by and Bunch steps up and escapes for a gain of 5 and we get a facemask for an extra 15.

11 Personnel, Twins R, JD in backfield, JD motions R behind twins, inside zone read, SAM comes up and slow plays it, Bunch feeds Mo, Farmer gets beat across his face, and Mo is tackled for a loss of 5.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, PA, all day to throw, Bunch checks it down to Mo and makes a guy miss to pick up 9.

11 Personnel, Trips L, inside zone read, WILL stays put and Bunch gives it to Ozigbo, pretty nicely blocked here except for Farmer whose man got penetration, so Ozigbo bounces it left to the trips side, and picks up 6 yards, Jaimes gets called on a hold, and our 1st down turns into 3rd and 15.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, pass, Switch concepts on both sides, Bunch looks to the short side with JD and Stan, then comes backside and hits Rafdal on a beauty for a 25-yard gain.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, inside zone read, Troy is gassed we get hat on hat and Ozigbo scampers ahead for a gain of 8.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, inside zone read, WILL stays put, gives to Ozigbo, for as unorganized as Troy was on this play the fact that we could only block it well enough to get a yard is not good.

11 Personnel, Trips R, PA , Bunch bangs it to JD on a bubble, JD makes a guy miss and dives into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN.

11 Personnel, Trips L bunched, Bunch has JD on a little delayed hitch route, throw is high, incomplete, conversion fails.

11 Personnel, Trips L, low snap, pass, WILL crashes in unblocked, Bunch extends play R, chucks it out of bounds to stop the clock.

Empty L, pass, Bunch sails it just a bit to JD, JD tips it up and it’s picked. Bunch had Stan wide open on a slant, don’t know where that was at in his read progression though.

Defensive Notes

1 Personnel, Twins L, Motions L Slot to Jet R from under center, Gifford does a nice job of getting off his block and the blackshirts do a solid job of flying to the ball and run him out of bounds

11 Personnel, Gun 2 by 2, Inside zone read with bubble to the short side, Gifford takes the bubble so QB keeps, Tre Neal and Mo Barry do a nice job of flying to QB and Troy only picks up 3.

10 Personnel, Trips L, PA bubble Screen to Trips, good blocks by Troy WRs, Aaron Williams comes flying in to stop Troy 2 yards short for a 3 and out.

20 Personnel, Twins L, Motions RB L, Pass, Carlos gets great pressure in QBs face, QB steps up and Gifford is there to get the sack, loss of 4.

20 Personnel, H back R, Pass, Lamar Jackson lined up way too far off the WR he’s 4 yards off and needs to be in press here and he gets burned across his face, on a shallow cross, he scampers downfield for a gain of 39 before Aaron Williams drags him down.

10 Personnel, Trips R, RB motions R to behind Trips, QB power with RT pulling, Peyton Newell gets destroyed and Mo Barry gets sucked into a block, Mo does a helluva job to get off his block and take the QB down after a gain of 5.

20 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, PA, we blitz Aaron Williams off the edge he swats the ball, incomplete.

10 Personnel, Gun 2 by 2, L slot motions R, Jet R, Dedrick kind of runs into the blocker and gets too outside and forces the ball carrier inside, Mo gets enough of a piece of him to stop him for a gain of 4 and keep him from getting the 1st on 3rd down.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, Pass, Troy cut blocks and hits their RB on a flare screen behind the twins Aaron Williams comes up and he and Ty Ferguson tackle him after a gain of 4.

11 Personnel, Trips R bunch, Toss R, Tyrin Ferguson blows through and get a TFL for a loss of 2.

11 Personnel, Twins R, TE flexed 3 yards L, PA, Sprint out L, Ben Stille does a poor job of containing but gets to him mid throw, Troy WR has Lamar Jackson beat by 5 yards but ball is 5 yards underthrown and Lamar plays centerfield and has enough strength to keep it from being stolen and make the pick.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, Slot L motions R, inside zone, Khalil gets caught peeking at the QB and RB exchange, Daimion Daniels destroys the C, Khalil can’t grab the RB at the line and Antonio Reed comes up and nearly takes the RBs head off after a gain of 5.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, Slot L motions R, inside zone triple option, inside give, Honas comes around and looks to stumble him and Reed comes in and kills him after a gain 2.

11 Personnel, Gun 2 by 2, pass, lots of time to throw, gets it to his left slot receiver on a drag route with Dedrick in great coverage, Dedrick tackles him at the line for no gain.

11 Personnel, Trips R, QB sweep R, Tyrin comes up and gets held bad, Mo Barry gets off his block and tackles the QB for no gain.

10 Personnel, Gun 2 by 2 I think, damn camera zoom, inside zone read, Stille sucks in to the back and the QB keeps, Mo gets sucked in too and blocked and there isn’t a soul over there to tackle him, Dedrick couldn’t catch him, Aaaron Williams chases him down after a huge gain.

21 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, QB Power R, Carlos gets him down for no gain, Mo comes in late and hits the QB in the head, Lamar Jackson honestly could have been called for targeting on this play too, much rather would have had him ejected than Mo.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, Motions slot man, inside zone triple option, Gifford slow plays it and QB gives to RB, Khalil got blown off the ball but did a nice job of getting off the block and making a tackle after a gain of 2.

21 Personnel, Twins L, motions L slot into backfield, inside zone triple option, gives to the RB, Honas fills nicely and promptly lets the RB waltz by into the endzone for a TD.

11 Personnel, Twins R, Power L, Daimion Daniels, Freedom, and Deontre Thomas muck up the running lanes and Honas and Dedrick fill nicely and get a tackle for a loss of 2.

21 Personnel, Twins R, RB motions R behind twins, inside zone with a bubble, QB keeps and wants to hit the bubble but Freedom blows by his man and the QB fumbles it out of bounds for a loss of 8.

10 Personnel, Trips L, inside zone read gives to RB, Deontre Thomas does a nice job getting off his block and tackling the RB after a gain of 7. 3 and out.

10 Personnel, 2 by 2, motions R slot L, Jet pass, L, Gifford does a nice job getting a shoe string TFL for a loss of 2.

10 Personnel, 2 by 2, middle screen to R slot WR, well blocked and it picks up 14, nice call.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, R slot motions L, inside zone give to RB, Stille does a nice job of getting off his block off his block and tackling him after a gain 2.

10 Personnel, Trips R, motions middle Trips man L, to make it 2 by 2, Pass, bangs a 3-yard hook as Lamar is playing 10 yards off, Awful tackling by he and Tyrin, Tre Neal makes the tackle after a gain of 15, Ty does a nice job of not giving up on it and gets an assist.

10 Personnel, Trips L, Pass, good coverage, under pressure QB tries to float it into receiver on near sideline but he can’t quite make the grab good coverage by Lamar.

11 Personnel, Twins L, inside zone read, Gifford stays put, gives to RB, Honas does a beautiful job of filling and makes a nice tackle for no gain.

10 Personnel, Trips L, pass, middle screen from L middle man of trips, nice tackle by Antonio to stop him after a gain of 4.

10 Personnel, 2 by 2, pass, throws it over the middle, PBU by Tre Neal. Incomplete turnover on downs.

11 Personnel, Trips R, counter R, Dedrick can’t get through a blocker, Honas bear hugs him and lets a 160 pound back carry him 4 yards for a gain of 7.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, quick screen R, Wr dances around, Tre Neal gets him out after a gain of 2 or 3.

12 Personnel, 1 by 1, sweep R, we get caught inside Tre misses a tackle and Dedrick tackles him after a gain of about 12.

20 Personnel, 1 by 1, motions Rb L, pass, great pressure by Carlos he grabs hold of QBs legs and spins him down for the sack.

20 Personnel, Twins L, RB motions L, bubble L, Aaron Williams with a nice open field tackle after a gain of around 4.

10 Personnel, Trips R, Pass, all day to throw, QB steps up and tries to check it down, the WR falls down after a gain of 3.

11 Personnel, 1 by 1, Pistol, L WR motions R, Fake jet Power L, Damion Daniels blows his man off the ball recognizes the play, gets down the line of scrimmage and gets a hold of the back and drags him down for no gain.

10 Personnel, 2 by 2, L WR jet motion R, fake Jet fake Power R, PA, Backers get sucked in slot receiver is wide open on a slant, looks like Dedrick may have tipped it and the WR drops it. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, Twins R, pass, sprint out R, they run what looks like a switch concept and Reed can’t quite get to him in time, gain of 12 on 3rd and 9.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, R Slot motions around backs, inside zone triple option, Gifford takes the dive, Dedrick muddies the pitch, QB bounces it into Honas who wraps him up for a gain of 1.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, R slot motions around backs, PA, good time to throw has a man on a crossing route who has a couple yards on Lamar, Lamar gets his hand in at the last second and gets a PBU, incomplete.

10 Personnel, Trips L, pass, we send Dedrick on a blitz unblocked up the middle, QB wants an out-route incomplete, we get a phantom pass interference, first down for Troy.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back L, L slot motions around backs, bad snap QB nearly fumbles it and falls ahead for a yard or two.

10 Personnel, 2 by 2, R slot WR middle Screen, Reed sniffs it out and brings him down with the help of Damion Daniels.

10 Personnel, Trips L, motions RB behind Trips, QB draw, Honas and Dedrick both go to cover the RB motioning out, nobody left in the middle of the field, Tre Neal gets a tackle after a gain of 15.

10 Personnel, Trips L, QB Power L, Khalil gets sealed inside, Dedrick does a nice job getting off his blocks Honas almost gets to him until Aaron Williams hits Honas, Troy WR has a blatant holding call, this one gets pushed back.

11 Personnel, Trips R, H back R, Middle Trips man Jet motion R, inside zone, Dedrick and Honas are way too close to one another and get sucked outside, wide open hole in the middle, Honas makes a poor attempt to tackle, Touchdown.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back R, R slot motions L a yard L of QB then turns around and comes back toward him, straight dive, Tyrin is all over it and gets a TFL for a loss of 2.

11 Personnel, 1 by 1, H back R, PA, bootleg R, QB pressured by Honas chucks it into the stands.

11 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, L slot motions behind backs, inside zone triple option, gives to the RB, Freedom gets off his block and tackles him after a gain of 2.

11 Personnel, Twins L, H back R, inside zone read, Troy gets hat on hat Honas gets fooled by the fake, this would have gone to the house had Troy’s RB not tripped himself up. gain of 7.

12 Personnel, Twins R, H back L, inside zone read, Gifford takes the QB, Honas fills nicely and wraps up the RB on the give.

13 Personnel, Single R, H backs L and R, QB power R, QB barrels ahead and Damion Daniels drags him down after a gain of 4.

Offensive Takeaways

Defensive Takeaways

Offensive Notes

Defensive Notes

Great posts, thanks so much for sharing!

Reactions: TheNewNU
Great job! I do however disagree with your assessment about Bunch in the Zone Read, and how the result would've not been much different with Martinez. Andrew left a 100 yard rushing performance on the field, and often forced the offensive line to account for 6 guys with only 5 blockers. This scheme is a shell of itself when the defense can avoid accounting for the QB on every play.

Now, don't get me wrong. Andrew Bunch is a 3rd or 4th string caliber walk on QB. It would be rather myopic of me to expect a dynamic performance out of him. He did not get enough help from his teammates. You're correct with that sentiment.

But nice observation about the down field and perimeter blocking by the wideouts and tight ends. It was atrocious.

I saw a couple of times where the zone read was completely wrong. Bunch had nothing but open pasture yet he handed it off for aloss or little to no gain.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.

Offensive Takeaways

Defensive Takeaways

Offensive Notes

Defensive Notes

Are you sure Frost is calling the plays? My impression was that the play calls were coming from upstairs. I never once saw Frost verbally doing anything resembling a play call on the sideline but that may have just been that I wasn't looking at the right time.

Nice job, thank you. Great material, especially for a Friday when I don't want to be at work. I don't care for kids getting singled out for poor play, but LJ is just a huge liability. I can't believe they aren't giving CT lots of playing time.

QB - Bunch is not near the QB Martinez is, and we saw that.
RB - Ozigbo needs to get his ass north and south. Space Cowboy and The eel should be the ones who get carries.
WR's - Agree that Stanley needs to man up, and would like to see us start getting carries to the WR's on jet sweeps.
OL - Move Farmer to Center & bench Conrad. We don't want it to look like Utter is back at Center.

DL - Mick should spell Daniels. Daniels is way better. Also think Deontre should get a few more snaps.
LB's - Dedrick should sit. Has had his chance, and I'd rather mix someone else in who will be here for more years. His time is up, and it didn't work out.
Secondary - LJax is a huge liability. We are going to get burned with him. Hopefully Cam Taylor steps up as the year goes on. Kind of like Dedrick Young, his time is up. The hype is over, and time for him to ride the pine.

Are you sure Frost is calling the plays? My impression was that the play calls were coming from upstairs. I never once saw Frost verbally doing anything resembling a play call on the sideline but that may have just been that I wasn't looking at the right time.

Frost calls every play, he usually has the play called and it is signaled in when the play clock gets to 35-32 seconds left.

Nice job, thank you. Great material, especially for a Friday when I don't want to be at work. I don't care for kids getting singled out for poor play, but LJ is just a huge liability. I can't believe they aren't giving CT lots of playing time.
Thanks, truth be told I don't really care for singling guys out either, the problem is, I dont know how else I would be able to do it. I try to show as much positivity as negativity but it was hard after the 1st q, we played really poorly. LJ is going to get tested the next 9 weeks and hopefully he responds better than he did Saturday, unfortunately I think he's far and away our 2nd best CB.

QB - Bunch is not near the QB Martinez is, and we saw that.
RB - Ozigbo needs to get his ass north and south. Space Cowboy and The eel should be the ones who get carries.
WR's - Agree that Stanley needs to man up, and would like to see us start getting carries to the WR's on jet sweeps.
OL - Move Farmer to Center & bench Conrad. We don't want it to look like Utter is back at Center.

DL - Mick should spell Daniels. Daniels is way better. Also think Deontre should get a few more snaps.
LB's - Dedrick should sit. Has had his chance, and I'd rather mix someone else in who will be here for more years. His time is up, and it didn't work out.
Secondary - LJax is a huge liability. We are going to get burned with him. Hopefully Cam Taylor steps up as the year goes on. Kind of like Dedrick Young, his time is up. The hype is over, and time for him to ride the pine.
Agree with all of that except for Dedrick, his problems arose from miscommunicating with Honas after Mo went down. And I will say Honas is not better than Dedrick. Dedrick is a solid ILB, he's the best option right now based on who is behind him.

Reactions: 9and4
Agree with all of that except for Dedrick, his problems arose from miscommunicating with Honas after Mo went down. And I will say Honas is not better than Dedrick. Dedrick is a solid ILB, he's the best option right now based on who is behind him.

We will agree to disagree on Dedrick. He's had his chance, and his time is up. I'd rather Collin Miller or Honas play than Dedrick. It's hard to defend his play anymore. Even if it was communication with Honas, that is still half of his problem. His experiment should be over after 4 years.

I agree that Bunch made a lot of poor reads on the inside zone, and as I look at who Scott has commited the whole he only wants to run his QBs 8 times a game is a load of bologna, I think it is more like 15 times a game tbh. I did watch special teams. They were not good imo, I'll try and take some notes on them going forward.

Im not 100% positive but I think from interviews it sounds like he still does it. I could be wrong though.

Thanks, truth be told I don't really care for singling guys out either, the problem is, I dont know how else I would be able to do it. I try to show as much positivity as negativity but it was hard after the 1st q, we played really poorly. LJ is going to get tested the next 9 weeks and hopefully he responds better than he did Saturday, unfortunately I think he's far and away our 2nd best CB.

It wasn't a criticism of your post, I was apologizing for my post picking on LJ. I just don't see how he could be that much better than CT. I don't care how much better he may understand the scheme if he can't cover the damn guy he's supposed to be covering. When he plays press coverage, it doesn't look like he makes any effort to jam a guy at the line.

Thanks for posting these. Good reads.

Think LJax just isnt a corner? Safety or even an LB if he could carry the weight? Wondering if the coaches think that and would move him if not for the utterly sad lack of depth at CB?

This was a great post, and I agree with pretty much all of it.

I think my conclusions are this:

Offense: Its very much a work in progress and it VERY much requires an insanely fast, gifted QB to be deadly. Bunch is not that QB. Without Martinez and a 4 star backup, it stalls dramatically.

Defense: This unit, other than the pass coverage, has really impressed me. It's light years better than it was last year, and I think it will only get nastier.

Special Teams is a giant WTF.

We're getting there. This year is going to have some seriously ugly moments, but we all know Frost is the guy and this offense is going to be a buzzsaw next year with a mean defense to go with it and a far easier schedule.

I agree that Bunch made a lot of poor reads on the inside zone, and as I look at who Scott has commited the whole he only wants to run his QBs 8 times a game is a load of bologna, I think it is more like 15 times a game tbh. I did watch special teams. They were not good imo, I'll try and take some notes on them going forward.

What do you base your opinion that Frost want to run the QB 15 times each game?

Edit - I looked back at every single game where Frost was the primary offensive play caller.

only 4 times has a single QB had 15 or more carries in a game.

2013 - Mariota 15 attempts in Alamo Bowl vs Texas
2014 - Mariota 18 attempts at Utah
2016 - Milton 19 attempts vs Maryland
2018 - Martinez 15 vs Colorado

Last edited:
This was a great post, and I agree with pretty much all of it.

I think my conclusions are this:

Offense: Its very much a work in progress and it VERY much requires an insanely fast, gifted QB to be deadly. Bunch is not that QB. Without Martinez and a 4 star backup, it stalls dramatically.

Defense: This unit, other than the pass coverage, has really impressed me. It's light years better than it was last year, and I think it will only get nastier.

Special Teams is a giant WTF.

We're getting there. This year is going to have some seriously ugly moments, but we all know Frost is the guy and this offense is going to be a buzzsaw next year with a mean defense to go with it and a far easier schedule.
Milton at UCF is not "insanely fast". I don't think Frost's offense requires that. Milton has good acceleration, agility, and vision. But he is not a speed baller.

Milton at UCF is not "insanely fast". I don't think Frost's offense requires that. Milton has good acceleration, agility, and vision. But he is not a speed baller.

Don't think AM is far enough along in the pass game, so he has to make up the difference with his feet for now.

I dont see Bunch making the wrong reads myself, in my opinion he is told to keep the running to a minimum. If he goes running and gets hurt you might as well figure in a wildcat formation until AM is 100%. Gebbia leaving is really killing us right now.

When we got Honas it seems he came with a lot of hype as a big hitter. Maybe when he gets more automatic the big hits will come.

When we got Honas it seems he came with a lot of hype as a big hitter. Maybe when he gets more automatic the big hits will come.
I remember the big hits watching his film, but man he looks small to me. Young and Barry are both huge compared to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT