ADVERTISEMENT

Trivia

tdkkc

Gold Member
Sep 21, 2017
when was the last time NU entered a season without a single qb on the active roster who's ever taken a snap of college football?

Ok, is this somewhat a trick question? 1996? I don’t think Frost took a snap at QB at Stanford.

Never mind Turman was still on the roster

I'm going to guess 1972. Humm and Terry Luck were sophomores who were not eligible as freshmen. Not sure if Steve Runty saw action in 71 or not.

I'm going to guess 1972. Humm and Terry Luck were sophomores who were not eligible as freshmen. Not sure if Steve Runty saw action in 71 or not.

No Tagge and Van Brownson took all the snaps in 71.

And Runty started the season opener against UCLA in 73 my mistake Humm started in 72.

I think you might be right.
A quick check of statistics show Runty having 2 rushes for 17 yards in 1971 as a QB, so that wouldn't work either. Mentioned above was 1996, Scott Frost did actually take snaps at Stanford though; had 9 pass attempts in 93 and 77 in 94.

A quick check of statistics show Runty having 2 rushes for 17 yards in 1971 as a QB, so that wouldn't work either. Mentioned above was 1996, Scott Frost did actually take snaps at Stanford though; had 9 pass attempts in 93 and 77 in 94.

I stand corrected .. I just don't remember Runty playing in 71 but then again my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be.

I think we can probably rule out it ever happening during the Osborne era.

Last edited:
I stand corrected .. I just don't remember Runty playing in 71 but then again my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be.
Well, it happened well before I was born, so I wouldn't be able to tell you from memory, I just looked it up. My initial thought was 98, Crouch was a Redshirt Freshman and Newcombe was a sophomore, but I don't believe ever took a snap as a QB his Freshman year. However, Frankie London and Monte Cristo were both on the roster and had taken snaps previously.

Reactions: scarletred
Well, I went all the way back to the mid 50's and couldn't find anything. Are we going to get an answer?

I was thinking maybe 1990 with Mickey Joseph, Mike Grant, Keithen McCant, and Tom Haase, but I think Mickey and Mike took a couple of snaps in the year(s) prior.

Stumped outside of that.

1996 was notable in that it was obviously Scott Frost. And I'm sure many remember Matt Turman taking snaps in that memorable '94 season, but the Count of Monte Christo also took snaps that season as a true walk on freshman when even the Turmanator went down with an injury against Missouri.

Reactions: cubsker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT