ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Numbers Under Frost

itseasyas1-2-3

Recruiting Coordinator
Sep 6, 2021
I just watched a podcast and they highlighted the numbers of players from NU that went into the portal or just transferred.

These numbers say a lot.

Total transfers and portal players that left under Frost: 56
Of that number, how many left the program in 2 years or less: 45
In the first 3 years class, how many transferred: 40
Of the 56 players, how many remain in Power 5 schools: 14

How many kids were recruited and left:

Weren't good enough?

Weren't given a legitimate chance?

Didn't fit the schemes?

Were just mistakes?

Or just didn't fit in Nebraska?

I just watched a podcast and they highlighted the numbers of players from NU that went into the portal or just transferred.

These numbers say a lot.

Weren't good enough?

Didn't fit the schemes?

Were just mistakes?

I’m not all that worried about those numbers. That first class was thrown together and had a lot of reaches to try to fill needs
We really needed to flip the roster and imo we’re in a better position talent wise.

we’re going to have to change our view of transfers

These numbers say a lot.

Weren't good enough?

Didn't fit the schemes?

Were just mistakes?

This tells me there were many players not qualified for Division 1 football.

I’m not all that worried about those numbers. That first class was thrown together and had a lot of reaches to try to fill needs
We really needed to flip the roster and imo we’re in a better position talent wise.

we’re going to have to change our view of transfers
Doesn’t fit the narrative

These numbers say a lot.

Weren't good enough?

Didn't fit the schemes?

Were just mistakes?

Honest question (if anyone knows): how do these numbers stack up against the average number of transfers at similar Big Ten schools within the same time frame?

Reactions: SickOfPractice

These numbers say a lot.

Weren't good enough?

Didn't fit the schemes?

Were just mistakes?

This subject has been brought up before, but was dismissed as "simply attrtition" and that every program has it. While very true, it only applies to a certain extent. It would be very interesting to compare numbers.

What does that tell you about accountability in the program oe support given players when they arrive?

I think the only really valid comparison might be other big ten schools who underwent a coaching change and were trying to flip the roster to fit a system. When frost first got here people were slobbering all over themselves on this board that Frost was kicking mike Riley guys out the program and now we want to act like Frost was running people off from his own toxic administration.

with the portal well in place and our ability to basically bribe kids to come here, within a few months people will be slobbering again to replace the frost guys with Mickey guys or Campbell guys or whoever.

Division 1 yes , P5 no!
Well I guess that maybe true but many programs outside of Power 5 have really gotten good. Sunbelt teams, for example. Things are evening out now with transfers but of course these number goes back five years in some cases. So I have to agree with you for the most part.

I think the only really valid comparison might be other big ten schools who underwent a coaching change and were trying to flip the roster to fit a system. When frost first got here people were slobbering all over themselves on this board that Frost was kicking mike Riley guys out the program and now we want to act like Frost was running people off from his own toxic administration.

with the portal well in place and our ability to basically bribe kids to come here, within a few months people will be slobbering again to replace the frost guys with Mickey guys or Campbell guys or whoever.
Maybe we can just do a list to see how players transferred in and out in a 4 year period where the head coach had a losing record all 4 years? Short list.

These numbers say a lot.

Weren't good enough?

Didn't fit the schemes?

Were just mistakes?

Appreciate the thread. I believe a lot left just like Wandale as they got sick of the poor coaching they were getting, plus being homesick. Granted there were some reaches with only 14 still with p5 teams. Look at all the players that left this last year just from the defensive line that had eligibilty left. Just hope it’s better in the future

These numbers say a lot.

Weren't good enough?

Didn't fit the schemes?

Were just mistakes?

Not to defend Frost, but transfers have exploded for all teams. Even Bama. We have entered a new age.

Too many variables and potential omissions.

To get a better gauge, I would want a break down of the 56 players. What their ranking was coming out of high school. Did we evaluate poorly, did they have other P5 offers, are they still at the same position, etc...

For example Gebbia, is still at a P5 school, but will probable never play again because of injury. Is he one of the 15? So you have to speculate, if he stayed at Nebraska, does he at some point beat out Martinez or no? The fact is he left Nebraska, went to Oregon St. and at one point won the starting job. So how do you evaluate that? Bust, injury, poor evaluation, all of the above?

Then you have a couple of dudes that decided to tag team some chick on a bed full of coats at a frat party was the good thing to do. How do you evaluate that?

Looking at numbers in a vacuum is easy, but you never get the whole truth until you break down each player. If after that analysis is done you can determine what the issue was.

Great post. Frost acted like the Riley guys were soft and didn’t lift. Turned out to be false and a lot of guys reputations ruined. You could argue the most talented team frost put together was his first season and that was mostly Riley guys.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Too many variables and potential omissions.

To get a better gauge, I would want a break down of the 56 players. What their ranking was coming out of high school. Did we evaluate poorly, did they have other P5 offers, are they still at the same position, etc...

For example Gebbia, is still at a P5 school, but will probable never play again because of injury. Is he one of the 15? So you have to speculate, if he stayed at Nebraska, does he at some point beat out Martinez or no? The fact is he left Nebraska, went to Oregon St. and at one point won the starting job. So how do you evaluate that? Bust, injury, poor evaluation, all of the above?

Then you have a couple of dudes that decided to tag team some chick on a bed full of coats at a frat party was the good thing to do. How do you evaluate that?

Looking at numbers in a vacuum is easy, but you never get the whole truth until you break down each player. If after that analysis is done you can determine what the issue was.
Agree, you have to have qualifiers, but I'm not gonna spend a couple hours defining them.

There are 100 reasons why kids transfer or don't transfer. The numbers I used were because of a podcastI listened to. How anyone interprets them in their choice.

Tennessee, Maryland, Michigan State among some of the schools that have a lot of transfers in and out. I'm sure they have many of the same reassons as NU for the high numbers.

It's a different world now and we just live in it.

Agree, you have to have qualifiers, but I'm not gonna spend a couple hours defining them.

There are 100 reasons why kids transfer or don't transfer. The numbers I used were because of a podcastI listened to. How anyone interprets them in their choice.

Tennessee, Maryland, Michigan State among some of the schools that have a lot of transfers in and out. I'm sure they have many of the same reassons as NU for the high numbers.

It's a different world now and we just live in it.
I get it, I am just saying that in so many instances, people look at a number and then compare it to another number and want to draw conclusions. Honestly, if I had time I would love to do that research, but I don't. I just wanted contribute my opinion to the analysis.

I get it, I am just saying that in so many instances, people look at a number and then compare it to another number and want to draw conclusions. Honestly, if I had time I would love to do that research, but I don't. I just wanted contribute my opinion to the analysis.
Totally agree Tuco. I can do that research too, but it's time consuming and every school has different issues.

I love reading your opinions Tuco. Always well thought out and solid.

When I did the thread I just wanted raw numbers and not really the underlying reasons why they were what they were. Hard to tell why a 5* kid signs with OSU, transfers to NU, but still can't hit the field. Those are things that have to be looked at, but who has the time, or really the interest? Neither of us.

Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Totally agree Tuco. I can do that research too, but it's time consuming and every school has different issues.

I love reading your opinions Tuco. Always well thought out and solid.

When I did the thread I just wanted raw numbers and not really the underlying reasons why they were what they were. Hard to tell why a 5* kid signs with OSU, transfers to NU, but still can't hit the field. Those are things that have to be looked at, but who has the time, or really the interest? Neither of us.

Thanks for the input.
Sadly, I have the interest, just not the time. I am due to retire within the next 10 years, I am going to need a hobby, perhaps that is it..

I enjoy you opinions as well.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Sadly, I have the interest, just not the time. I am due to retire within the next 10 years, I am going to need a hobby, perhaps that is it..

I enjoy you opinions as well.
Well, I've been retired for 10 years. LOL

When you retire Tuco, you can pester the crowd in here like I sometimes do.

On 247 sports all that info is there, by conference, by school, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT