ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Boom

weren't there reports that he had to retire from football due to back injuries

Raises questions in my mind. Well, for one, how was he doing at Iowa before the medical scholarship action? Was he playing in games? And what class in eligibility is he? When can he play - does he have to sit out this year or not?

The 4-star doesn't mean that much to me since we've had 4-star OL who haven't contributed much. What matters to me for a transfer is whether they actually saw the field on gameday in a meaningful capacity.

Not saying he is or isn't a good transfer, I have no idea, just that more information is needed. Of course, as a walk on, there isn't a lot to lose. Just not enough information yet to get excited either.

UPDATE: OK, I read another article elsewhere. He signed with the 2019 Iowa class but never played a down for Iowa and also will have to sit out this season unless the NCAA would grant him a waiver for immediate eligibility (probably not likely). So it sounds like he would be like any other kid coming out of high school - nothing in college experience one way or the other to judge.

Last edited:
He left due to depression; a couple of important people in his life were ill and he slid into depression. He and the coaches used the back injury as a way to protect him from scrutiny. He signed a medical which from what I understand made it that he had to transfer if he wanted to play again. He was very highly thought of coming out of HS. Good pickup for you.

Wow. Is this our last 2020 scholarship? Does this mean no Nadab Jospeh?

EDIT: cubsker says he's walking on. Always a good day, when you get a former 4-star to walk on.

Joseph has to pass something in the neighborhood of 6 to 9 credit hours this month in 4-Week Summer Classes before he can transfer to any NCAA Program. We aren't hearing anything about him because he's not even a possibility until those courses are completed.

I believe that Summer Session will be completed by July 2nd, and we should hear something about by July 10th. (That's an assumption as I have no clue how long it takes JUCOs to post Summer grades)
Then those courses would need to offically be transferred and accepted for transfer to UNL. Once that's completed, he could sign and move to Lincoln.

Its my guess Nebraska has already got that hurdle out of the way and that's why all the smoke about Joseph came out last month. The kid still has to hold up his part of the bargain, but Nebraska laid out a guaranteed path for him if he follows through.

Fisher and Frost laid out a precedent for this type of action with CB Mike Hughes in 2017. He went on to be a 1st Round pick for the Vikings in the 2018 Draft.

Joseph has to pass something in the neighborhood of 6 to 9 credit hours this month in 4-Week Summer Classes before he can transfer to any NCAA Program. We aren't hearing anything about him because he's not even a possibility until those courses are completed.

I believe that Summer Session will be completed by July 2nd, and we should hear something about by July 10th. (That's an assumption as I have no clue how long it takes JUCOs to post Summer grades)
Then those courses would need to offically be transferred and accepted for transfer to UNL. Once that's completed, he could sign and move to Lincoln.

Its my guess Nebraska has already got that hurdle out of the way and that's why all the smoke about Joseph came out last month. The kid still has to hold up his part of the bargain, but Nebraska laid out a guaranteed path for him if he follows through.

Fisher and Frost laid out a precedent for this type of action with CB Mike Hughes in 2017. He went on to be a 1st Round pick for the Vikings in the 2018 Draft.
Hope he makes it. 9 credit hours sounds like a heavy workload to me for a 4 week period but I guess it depends on what the classes are.

I think this is an awesome pick-up, and he's coming in as a walk-on anyway, so it does not have any effect on scholarship numbers. I hope he's feeling better, hope he fits in here, and hope he's a big ugly starter or #1 back-up in a year or two at OT. 6'6" and 310 pounds as a 4 star lineman out of high school is a heck of a deal to get for free for the program.

Glad to hear Ezra choosing to be a Husker!! As noted previously he was Iowa’s 1st commitment for the 2019 class and more importantly, IMO, was the peer recruiter for the class. He comes from NW Iowa which I feel is an area the Huskers can be a factor on the recruiting trail once again.
GBR!

Reactions: Minn1954
giphy.gif

Boys, look the hell out for that 2021 o-line. The kid from CSU and this kid will be eligible. Benhart will be a RS-Soph, Jurgens will be a RS-Junior. Corcoran will likely be RS-Freshman, plus all the other guys in the conversation.

There are going to be a bunch of big, powerful dudes in that OL room down in Lincoln benching cars and squatting trucks. Could be a hell of a year and don't look now, but there will be a stable of RBs behind them.

Props to this kid for speaking out on his mental health struggles and seeking therapy. Not an easy thing to do when you're a huge dude and everyone expects you to be big and tough about everything. I battled depression and ADHD when I started college and it can derail your life. Sounds like Iowa basically cut bait on him and said they'd all agree to drop his scholarship and blame it on his back thinking he was gonna wash out of football.

Just might be a huge get for NU to be part of his comeback story.

Boys, look the hell out for that 2021 o-line. The kid from CSU and this kid will be eligible. Benhart will be a RS-Soph, Jurgens will be a RS-Junior. Corcoran will likely be RS-Freshman, plus all the other guys in the conversation.

There are going to be a bunch of big, powerful dudes in that OL room down in Lincoln benching cars and squatting trucks. Could be a hell of a year and don't look now, but there will be a stable of RBs behind them.

Props to this kid for speaking out on his mental health struggles and seeking therapy. Not an easy thing to do when you're a huge dude and everyone expects you to be big and tough about everything. I battled depression and ADHD when I started college and it can derail your life. Sounds like Iowa basically cut bait on him and said they'd all agree to drop his scholarship and blame it on his back thinking he was gonna wash out of football.

I've been thinking a lot about this over the last week, as we've seen some recruiting news and a lot of CB picks for us, and a lot of anxiety over both the season (public and player health) and Frost's next record. I think this year is going to be very, very take-it-as-it-happens, and we should be ready for anything (wins, losses, canceled games, games that get rescheduled, whatever). But like you just said, I expect Nebraska to be an absolutely kick-ass team in 2021 and 2022.

I think the 2022 team, given schedule and at that point given player development and talent level, has a shot at taking the Big Ten Title.

Reactions: headcard
Miller is a good get. I had mentioned him a few weeks ago when he entered the transfer portal that he would be a very good pickup for Nebraska if they offered him. He was fairly highly recruited out of HS, but had his problems in IC. Iowa is pretty much set on the line, and he wasn't going to see the field there, but that doesn't mean he is not a good OL. If he is healthy, he can turn out to be Nebraska's best Offensive lineman.

Reactions: headcard
Miller is a good get. I had mentioned him a few weeks ago when he entered the transfer portal that he would be a very good pickup for Nebraska if they offered him. He was fairly highly recruited out of HS, but had his problems in IC. Iowa is pretty much set on the line, and he wasn't going to see the field there, but that doesn't mean he is not a good OL. If he is healthy, he can turn out to be Nebraska's best Offensive lineman.

Sure buddy

That's a big group of offensive linemen in one class. We have 6 scholarship linemen from that 2019 class, and now we have 2 walk-ons who were former scholarship OL at other schools. Competition will be fierce in the coming year.

match that with some talented players like B Banks, B Benhart, T Corcoran and having a good Oline coach like Austin....the spells out a solid Oline for several years ahead. I said it a number of times and I’ll say it again. We won’t see our Oline every being a weakness again while Austin and Frost are here. GBR

That's a reach!

Reactions: Millardhawk

I'm no fan of Iowa but I don't think Iowa cut bait on him or did him any injustice. I think they did the right thing by putting him on a medical scholarship which allowed him to stay in school and work through his issues.. The rules just won't allow Iowa to take him back now once he went on that medical with them.

Said it in another thread, but despite being the benefactors on this one, I’m not a fan of players being able to transfer to school that will play their former team in the next year or two.

Imagine Spielman going to MN, probably knowing some of our defensive calls and also capable of giving their defense our offensive calls.
Maybe calls are designed to vary, but still seems like an unfair advantage to me.
Given the fact it’s ok to do this currently, I’ll be happy to take Ezra.

Happy to have the kid, but best OL? On a team with Corcoran, Teddy P, Benhart, Piper, etc????

Reactions: ShaggynScooby
match that with some talented players like B Banks, B Benhart, T Corcoran and having a good Oline coach like Austin....the spells out a solid Oline for several years ahead. I said it a number of times and I’ll say it again. We won’t see our Oline every being a weakness again while Austin and Frost are here. GBR
You better be right. :mad::mad::mad:

Despite how 247 rated him, he only had two scholarship offers, ISU and Iowa. As a walk on, he is awesome to have! But let's temper our expectations.

It still depends on how hard this kid wants to work for playing time.. thats true for anyone at any position.. hard work will pay off..if they dont want to work to get bigger faster or stronger they dont play... in the playbook..in the weightroom...i like the addition i want to hear they are working rhere butts off to see the field

Reactions: HominidHusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT