2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. John Elway
6. Johnny Unitas
7. Bart Starr
8. Brett Favre
9. Roger Staubach
10. Troy Aikman, Honorable mention ...Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Drew Brees, Terry Bradshaw.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
Aikman?

isn't he kind of just the Cowboys' Bradshaw? not a bad thing, obviously, but that's where I'd have him. played on some all-time great teams.

1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. Peyton Manning
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. John Elway
6. Drew Brees
7. Johnny Unitas
8. Dan Marino
9. Brett Favre
10. Staubach, Dan Fouts, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, Steve Young, Slingin' Sammy

Although its hard to consider someone in the HOF underrated, I think Staubach gets overlooked in these discussions. He had a pretty short career considering he couldn't play in the NFL until he was 27 because of his military commitment. He really only played 8 full seasons, but was MVP 3 times, went to the Superbowl 4 times and won 2. The other 2 losses were to two of the best teams of all time (Steelers). I would probably take him over Aikman, Elway and Favre. Never saw Unitas play.

Anyone who doesn't put Brady first is just holding a grudge. Look, he's not my favorite QB either, but there really is no argument.

FYI I predict that in 10 years Joe Burrow is going to be on this list. He just seems to have "it." I suspect he's a real prick. :)
I think many young QBs could crack this list in 10 to 20 years. Josh Allen, Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow for starters.

Reactions: king_kong_
If you factor in all the drinking and smoking relative to performance then the list starts with the Snake

kenstabler.jpg

1. Joe Montana
2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. John Elway
6. Johnny Unitas
7. Troy Aikman
8. Brett Favre
9. Roger Staubach
10. Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Drew Brees, Terry Bradshaw. Honorable mention
Good list. Switch Brady for Montana & Brees with Aikman and you’re spot on.

Reactions: HBK4life
I’m just glad no one forgot about Staubach. Loved that guy and one of the most overlooked quarterbacks. But how do you guys also overlook Tarkington? That guy was as good as any on that list.
Tarkenton had a great career - I think when he retired he had thrown for the most yards all time. However, he spent the first 10 years of his career pretty much playing for bad teams. He wasn't surrounded by good talent until his return to the Vikings when Bud Grant was the coach. Got to the superbowl 3 times at the end of his career, but lost all 3, all by pretty big margins.

Reactions: jamsand
Tarkenton had a great career - I think when he retired he had thrown for the most yards all time. However, he spent the first 10 years of his career pretty much playing for bad teams. He wasn't surrounded by good talent until his return to the Vikings when Bud Grant was the coach. Got to the superbowl 3 times at the end of his career, but lost all 3, all by pretty big margins.
He did lose all his SB chances, but he did get there. Guy had a ton of passing yards and could scramble like no one else. Even with the Giants he was good. I’d certainly take Fran over several in these lists.

Not saying they are top ten but you can argue that Namath, Starr, Bob Griese, and Brees could be talked about.

Couple dudes I may throw in the discussion would be Jim Kelly and Warren Moon. Granted they would be down the list, but maybe sneak in.

Reactions: huntered
Anyone who doesn't put Brady first is just holding a grudge. Look, he's not my favorite QB either, but there really is no argument.

FYI I predict that in 10 years Joe Burrow is going to be on this list. He just seems to have "it." I suspect he's a real prick. :)
Respectfully, I somewhat disagree.... he's GREAT, I like him....BUT he landed in a wonderful position, in a mostly crummy division, with great coaching, a great defense, etc...He MIGHT be the GOAT....but it aint me sayin' it...yet...

Reactions: bigboxes
Respectfully, I somewhat disagree.... he's GREAT, I like him....BUT he landed in a wonderful position, in a mostly crummy division, with great coaching, a great defense, etc...He MIGHT be the GOAT....but it aint me sayin' it...yet...
What else could the guy do? He has almost the same amount of Superbowl wins as the next two on the list combined and plenty of other records to go with it.

It's hard to put anyone above Brady or argue against it.

"Brady is great, but...." doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.

I have to say if Peyton Manning had Montana’s 49ers teams he would have won more Super Bowls than Montana…

Ok I’ll play( and remember, I LIKE him!)
- best coaching… check
- easiest division year after year… check check
- great defense almost every year… check
- usually Good receivers…. Sometimes GREAT ones( moss comes to mind)
- a fair degree of fortune not of his own making ( Falcons being idiots, Malcom Butler saving the game… down to 5)

Please don’t think I’m disparaging him… but it’s not as simple as “ holding a grudge”

Ok I’ll play( and remember, I LIKE him!)
- best coaching… check
- easiest division year after year… check check
- great defense almost every year… check
- usually Good receivers…. Sometimes GREAT ones( moss comes to mind)
- a fair degree of fortune not of his own making ( Falcons being idiots, Malcom Butler saving the game… down to 5)

Please don’t think I’m disparaging him… but it’s not as simple as “ holding a grudge”
Brady had a lot of good fortune, hey raiders fans remember the fumble that was called a tuck, where would his carrier went had they lost to the raiders? I’m not a Brady hater just don’t consider him the greatest

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT