ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Armstrong on the O line.

I would trust his analysis over mine, but I felt like there were MOMENTS where the OL did well, such as on the long TD pass. There were also several breakdown plays where HH was running for his life or taking unnecessary hits, usually with Benhart on his back.

I'd agree with that. They obviously weren't anything great BUT given all the injuries and inexperience they did better than I would have expected.

I think that comes from the gap from starters to backups not being very big. Jenkins and the Lutovsky aren't far off if at all imo. I didn't expect a huge drop-off

Holla

I would trust his analysis over mine, but I felt like there were MOMENTS where the OL did well, such as on the long TD pass. There were also several breakdown plays where HH was running for his life or taking unnecessary hits, usually with Benhart on his back.

Also plays where HH holds the ball too long. He's raw so u can tell he doesn't have a "feel" for when the pocket is compromised. Hopefully he keeps improving. I think he's the best we have this year.

Holla

Also plays where HH holds the ball too long. He's raw so u can tell he doesn't have a "feel" for when the pocket is compromised. Hopefully he keeps improving. I think he's the best we have this year.

Holla
Apparently PU had a safety spy on HH the entire game. Teams are going to limit him in the run game any way they can. EJ is showing up at just the right time. They also need to rep some stuff that works for Fleeks. He can get things done on the perimeter.

Apparently PU had a safety spy on HH the entire game. Teams are going to limit him in the run game any way they can. EJ is showing up at just the right time. They also need to rep some stuff that works for Fleeks. He can get things done on the perimeter.
Some screens would be nice as well, can't remember if we've run any.

It's worth remembering IMO that Purdue's head coach was an outstanding DC last year.
I was really taken last year watching the second half of the Nebraska Illinois game. That defense just abused NU’s offense. There was both talent and effort on the Illinois D and they just sucked the confidence out of Nebraska’s offense. Yesterday was a little payback for PUs Coach courtesy Tony White and the Blackshirts.

Donnie is doing a dman good job with that group.
Our TE are hurting us just as much, if not more, than our OL when it comes to blocking. They continue to miss blocks. 87 is slightly worse than 24, IMO. Definitely a big step down from prior years' TE. Even the TV guys mentioned how they missed or didn't hold blocks. They need to pick up their game more than the OL.

Our TE are hurting us just as much, if not more, than our OL when it comes to blocking. They continue to miss blocks. 87 is slightly worse than 24, IMO. Definitely a big step down from prior years' TE. Even the TV guys mentioned how they missed or didn't hold blocks. They need to pick up their game more than the OL.
Some of it could be the emphasis now on avoiding holding penalties. The hankies on the turf were killing us.

Reactions: dpnavy and OzzyLvr
To be fair #4 and #5 are tough to block. But you're right, the TEs didn't block all that well.

Not holding the block, maybe. Completely whiffing on the block, nope.
honestly I never really watched TEs blocking during the game and didn’t notice it on replays. You’re trying to block in space out there and guys coming off the edge can be tough to get your hands on. I would have to listen to the coaches to know for sure what the TEs’ responsibilities were on any given play. Was he supposed to chip and get to the next level inside backer etc.

honestly I never really watched TEs blocking during the game and didn’t notice it on replays. You’re trying to block in space out there and guys coming off the edge can be tough to get your hands on. I would have to listen to the coaches to know for sure what the TEs’ responsibilities were on any given play. Was he supposed to chip and get to the next level inside backer etc.
IF 87 holds his block a second longer, Lloyd might still be running on that reverse. The OL had it blocked for a huge gain. Most of the others that were missed are a pin & pull block with the TE coming across with the backside G. The G kicks out the DE & the TE is left to get through the hole ahead of the RB. The LB or S filling the whole is making the tackle in the hole or backfield almost every time. We had one that the TE missed but 21 was able to put a move on & get through the hole anyway for a 9 yd gain (I think it was 9). To be fair, they do make the block once in a while but too often it is blowing up the play.

I'll have to look closer to see if the TE is getting to the 2nd level when they are supposed to.

Reactions: Laner2
IF 87 holds his block a second longer, Lloyd might still be running on that reverse. The OL had it blocked for a huge gain. Most of the others that were missed are a pin & pull block with the TE coming across with the backside G. The G kicks out the DE & the TE is left to get through the hole ahead of the RB. The LB or S filling the whole is making the tackle in the hole or backfield almost every time. We had one that the TE missed but 21 was able to put a move on & get through the hole anyway for a 9 yd gain (I think it was 9). To be fair, they do make the block once in a while but too often it is blowing up the play.

I'll have to look closer to see if the TE is getting to the 2nd level when they are supposed to.
The statement “holds his block” is always the one that gets me. “Holds” equals a high likelihood of drawing a flag out in the open like that. It’s pretty damned easy to criticize a guy trying to “hold” a block in space against an athletic defender then everybody loses there mind when that blocker gets flagged. Blocking on the edge ain’t easy.

Reactions: dpnavy
The statement “holds his block” is always the one that gets me. “Holds” equals a high likelihood of drawing a flag out in the open like that. It’s pretty damned easy to criticize a guy trying to “hold” a block in space against an athletic defender then everybody loses there mind when that blocker gets flagged. Blocking on the edge ain’t easy.
I don't disagree with the last statement.

At the 1:50 mark, 59 whiffs on his block of #5 & 24 does little to nothing on the backside with #4 who ends up making the tackle.

4 and 5 were offense wreckers. half the complaints seem to not recognize the problems those 2 players created. not sure we attacked those 2 and the spy as well as we could have. new ol in place was part of it.
I was actually fairly surprised at how a couple of those new guys held up. I thought this game would be even uglier than it wound up. Kudos to Raiola and the kiddies. Another W.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I don't disagree with the last statement.

At the 1:50 mark, 59 whiffs on his block of #5 & 24 does little to nothing on the backside with #4 who ends up making the tackle.
Back in the day I had to try to get a hat on a DB or outside backer at times as a FB leading an all state RB. It can make you look pretty damned silly. You just try to get a piece to give the RB a chance to get by. My coach did the Belichik thing to me in film study on one play reversing the film to give the full comical effect of me getting knocked on my ass. But hey I got just enough of that guy I saw out of the corner of my eye at the last second to spring our other back for a TD. It happens fast and blocking in the open field is at least as tough as open field tackling.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and dpnavy
4 and 5 were offense wreckers. half the complaints seem to not recognize the problems those 2 players created. not sure we attacked those 2 and the spy as well as we could have. new ol in place was part of it.
And they upped their level of play when PU was down 24-0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT