ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Osborne never won less than 9 games in a season.....

c_broadus

Recruiting Coordinator
Feb 16, 2004
There is a meme going around that says basically:

"Tom Osborne started coaching in 1973 and didn't win his first national championship until 1994. Championships take time and patience."

While I don't disagree but it's alot easier to have patience for 21 years if you are winning 9 games or more every year and win 13 conference championships in that time period.

It also says that "Scott took over Nebraska at its absolute worst in program history" and that is not true. It's in it's worst shape since 1962 when Bill Jennings was fired but not EVER..

Bob Devaney took over a worst program than Scott Frost. Bob also won 9 games or more his first 4 years at Nebraska.

Since then Scott has turned it into the worst program in Nebraska's history though..

Also it took Tom Osborne 11 (1984) years to lose as many games as Scott has already (26)

Comparing Scott Frost's problems to Tom Osborne is a complete absolute joke...

Last edited:
Bob Devaney took over a worst program than Scott Frost. Bob also won 9 games or more his first 4 years at Nebraska.
God Diviney won nine games or more in his first five seasons, dipped to six wins for the next two, then crushed it.
1962: 9-2
1963: 10-1 (Big 8 title)
1964: 9-2 (Big 8 title)
1965: 10-1 (Big 8 title)
1966: 9-2 (Big 8 title)
1967: 6-4
1968: 6-4
1969: 9-2 (Big 8 title)
1970: 11-0-1 (Big 8 and national titles)
1971: 13-0 (Big 8 and national titles)
1972: 9-2-1 (Big 8 title because Oklahoma cheated by falsifying players' transcripts)

Reactions: c_broadus
Look at those old schedules. There were fewer games, and it was rare to see a cupcake in the non-conference schedule. There just weren't games against directional schools and FCS programs back in the 1970's. In 1974, for example, the non-conference schedule consisted of Oregon, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Minnesota. In 1975 it was LSU, Indiana, TCU, and Miami. Frost might not win one game per season with a lineup like that.

Look at those old schedules. There were fewer games, and it was rare to see a cupcake in the non-conference schedule. There just weren't games against directional schools and FCS programs back in the 1970's. In 1974, for example, the non-conference schedule consisted of Oregon, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Minnesota. In 1975 it was LSU, Indiana, TCU, and Miami. Frost might not win one game per season with a lineup like that.
Yeah Osborne's very first win was against a top ten team (#10 UCLA).

God Diviney won nine games or more in his first five seasons, dipped to six wins for the next two, then crushed it.
1962: 9-2
1963: 10-1 (Big 8 title)
1964: 9-2 (Big 8 title)
1965: 10-1 (Big 8 title)
1966: 9-2 (Big 8 title)
1967: 6-4
1968: 6-4
1969: 9-2 (Big 8 title)
1970: 11-0-1 (Big 8 and national titles)
1971: 13-0 (Big 8 and national titles)
1972: 9-2-1 (Big 8 title because Oklahoma cheated by falsifying players' transcripts)
And to think OU still isn’t an SEC member.

Reactions: 9and4

"Tom Osborne started coaching in 1973 and didn't win his first national championship until 1994. Championships take time and patience."

While I don't disagree but it's alot easier to have patience for 21 years if you are winning 9 games or more every year and win 13 conference championships in that time period.

It also says that "Scott took over Nebraska at its absolute worst in program history" and that is not true. It's in it's worst shape since 1962 when Bill Jennings was fired but not EVER..

Since then Scott has turned it into the worst program in Nebraska's history though..

Also it took Tom Osborne 11 (1984) years to lose as many games as Scott has already (26)

The thing about Jennings was, he wasn't shit as a coach but could recruit his ass off and Devaney walked into cupboards full of talent. Frost walked into a shit show depleted in talent.

Join Zoom Meeting
enn St may have cost the 1982 team a chance at a natty.
I consider the 1983 team co-nattys with Miami. Also a very bad call vs PSU may have cost them another.
TO's run of consecutive 9 win season may be one of the best coaching achievements in the history of college football.

The thing about Jennings was, he wasn't shit as a coach but could recruit his ass off and Devaney walked into cupboards full of talent. Frost walked into a shit show depleted in talent.
Yet, arguably, his best season/team was his first one. Had a 1,000 yard receiver and rusher, good O line. What did he do to build up the roster and team overall from that point?

I do not buy the premise even though it is often repeated like it is fact.

Yet, arguably, his best season/team was his first one. Had a 1,000 yard receiver and rusher, good O line. What did he do to build up the roster and team overall from that point?

I do not buy the premise even though it is often repeated like it is fact.
He flipped the roster over with a plethora of talent enough that we can play with anyone but talent isn't the issue. People thinking that tOSU is just gonna waltz in here and blow us out are are living in the same fantasy world they were when they were adamantly saying OU was gonna blow us out! I think this is absolutely hilarious!

Osborne's first championship was in 1970 as he was on staff. I believe strongly that Osborne's newly installed I formation based offense at Nebraska as O coordinator was what pushed Devaney's team to the top.

Tom Osborne has all 5 rings boys and girls....

Reactions: BleedRed78
Osborne's first championship was in 1970 as he was on staff. I believe strongly that Osborne's newly installed I formation based offense at Nebraska as O coordinator was what pushed Devaney's team to the top.

Tom Osborne has all 5 rings boys and girls....
TO was surely a big part of that team's success, and I would never argue otherwise. But Devaney's NC teams were nothing short of remarkable on the defensive side of the ball.

So, you've cleaned out your 401K and put it all on NU to beat the spread?
What was the spread against OU again? More than against Bucky, how did that turn out for ya? No one on our schedule has manhandled or kicked our ass as we literally gift wrapped every single game as we've become the National Champions of giving every single game away and not the other way around. There is not a team on our schedule good enough to blow us out and that includes Bucky. I'mgonna be laughing at all the turds their money just like they did against OU. Hope you didn't put too much on the game, because you will be losing it and will be back to tell you I told you so. Let's make this clear, I'm not saying we will win the game by any means but it will not be anywhere near a blowout and they won't cover the spread.

Last edited:
  • Haha
TO was surely a big part of that team's success, and I would never argue otherwise. But Devaney's NC teams were nothing short of remarkable on the defensive side of the ball.
Would be nice to have that again!

Frosters act like Riley put the program on probation.
Solich, Pederson, Callahan, Pearlman, Eichorst, Pelini and Riley were the reason for the stench on the program when Frost got here. The whole thing with this team this year is ALL mental and youth at key postions. We've got the size, speed, strength and power enough to compete with anyone. Go ahead and laugh it up, every single loss we've had hasn't been because the opponent was better than us as a matter of fact we were the better and more talented team overall than any team we've played to date and that includes Sparty and Shitchicken. I'll call the OU game a wash. I'll post what I did in another thread, we've become the National Champions at gift wrapping and literally handing the wins to every one who beat us this year.

Last edited:
Solich, Pederson, Callahan, Pearlman, Eichorst, Pelini and Riley were the reason for the stench on the program when Frost got here. The whole thing with this team this year is ALL mental and youth at key postions. We've got the size, speed, strength and power enough to compete with anyone. Go ahead and laugh it up, every single loss we've had hasn't been because the opponent was better than us as a matter of fact we were the better and more talented team overall than any team we've played to date. I'll call the OU game a wash
Bo winning 9/10 games a year and finishing 1/2 in the conference each year and putting dudes in the NFL each year is the reason for this season being shitty??

Stretch Armstrong and Gumby think that is a stretch.

What was the spread against OU again? More than against Bucky, how did that turn out for ya? No one on our schedule has manhandled or kicked our ass as we literally gift wrapped every single game as we've become the National Champions of giving every single game away and not the other way around. There is not a team on our schedule good enough to blow us out and that includes Bucky. I'mgonna be laughing at all the turds their money just like they did against OU. Hope you didn't put too much on the game, because you will be losing it and will be back to tell you I told you so. Let's make this clear, I'm not saying we will win the game by any means but it will not be anywhere near a blowout and they won't cover the spread.
I haven't bet anything on the game. But I'm not the one wagging his finger at everyone and claiming to be Johnny SuperFan. You, on the other hand, should bet the farm.

Bo winning 9/10 games a year and finishing 1/2 in the conference each year and putting dudes in the NFL each year is the reason for this season being shitty??

Stretch Armstrong and Gumby think that is a stretch.
Bo got blown out right and left in almost every game that mattered.

I've never lost a game as a head coach.

While I've never been a coach, I've only lost 3 or 4 insurance sales in my career.

$5.6M a yr. I get to pick my assistants.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
I haven't bet anything on the game. But I'm not the one wagging his finger at everyone and claiming to be Johnny SuperFan. You, on the other hand, should bet the farm.
Wagging? I'm just stating a plain fact, Bucky ain't gonna blow us out and will be lucky if the cover the spread Saturday. I keep saying this, if we can ever find a way to get the fk out of our own way and play without the BS mistakes we would have a real chance to maybe win this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT