ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Miles is so hard to figure out....

I like the guy. I thought canning him after last season would have been a mistake, but man, it looked like he was toast with all the guys leaving. Good for him though. He seemed to know what was best.

Reactions: Can o' corn
This team is impressive. Totally not like his previous teams. They don't always look overwhelming but they don't seem to panic either. The majority of their losses have been games they could easily have won and they haven't lost a real bad one yet.

They just look so smooth to me. I'd be surprised if they don't make the tourney

This team is impressive. Totally not like his previous teams. They don't always look overwhelming but they don't seem to panic either. The majority of their losses have been games they could easily have won and they haven't lost a real bad one yet.

They just look so smooth to me. I'd be surprised if they don't make the tourney
This team is only a few months into building chemistry together. They are showing signs of being special, but they have had a bad loss. Two as a matter of fact. St Johns and Michigan State.

But I believe they are really starting to figure out their roles together and it should be a fun couple of months as they jockey their position for a tourney run.

...we probably have three shovel fulls of dirt on him and here he comes with a pretty nice looking season....

Obviously the AD who let him stay is no longer here, but as many of us argued last season, you don't fire a coach who has all those transfers redshirting.

He clearly upgraded the talent, and he deserved the chance to coach those players. I believe this season and next year will propel Tim Miles to a place where he is safe for a number of years. IMO, the Huskers are going to be NCAA tourney teams this year and next.

This team is only a few months into building chemistry together. They are showing signs of being special, but they have had a bad loss. Two as a matter of fact. St Johns and Michigan State.

But I believe they are really starting to figure out their roles together and it should be a fun couple of months as they jockey their position for a tourney run.

Michigan State is NOT a bad loss. It was a blowout, but the committee looks at that loss as a loss to a top 10 team on the road.

Coaching Nebrasketball is a tough gig. There's little local talent, no tradition of winning, and no respect on the national level. Oh yeah, and the administration refuses to pay camp organizers, club team coaches, and recruits the fat envelopes of cash that actually drive college basketball's elite programs.

I think Miles is a good coach, and I'd be fine if he were here a long time. The revolving door approach hasn't worked in either football or basketball, so we might want to try the "let someone build a program over time" approach instead.

If Miles had a decent offense consistently, then people might be a little more lenient on him. As of now though, the team is still up and down and loses its way offensively too often.

With Moos on board, Miles better keep after it. If he has the players, he needs to have a good year. NCAA tourney or bust? Nope, but that is what many want.

If after 6 years he can't win, how many more years does he get? Pretty sure the previous couple coaches all got about 6 years. How is Miles' 6th year comparing to their 6th years?

I just hope he can coach us to wins... and a lot of them! In a down B1G year, this is a prime opportunity to make a move to finish in the top 5 of the conference.

Going into the season, I felt Miles needed an upper-half finish in the Big Ten or it was time to go. I still think that's the case, though the team certainly has a good opportunity to go beyond that. Top 4 finish seems within reach, if they can pick up a couple of road wins.

I'm still cautious. Maybe because the last 3 years we have absolutely collapsed in the second half of the conference season. This is team is far more talented, though. Isaiah Roby has NBA potential if he keeps improving the next 2 years.

So much credit goes to Kenya Hunter. He's been responsible for bringing in almost all of this talent, and they said he was the one who came up with the defensive game plan against Michigan. I hope Miles can keep him from leaving, but on the other hand, I also hope he gets a head-coaching opportunity. Craig Smith is doing pretty well at USD. Hunter deserves the same opportunity somewhere.

My only criticism is that his offense lacks an identity, and looks out of sorts far too often. Last night was about as good as it gets, and watching us utilize a potent transition game was very impressive. But it makes me wonder why 4 of the past 5 previous years it was almost non-existent. I know, "if you don't have the players, etc.." At least they are now taking advantage of our athleticism.

Reactions: Lincoln100
My only criticism is that his offense lacks an identity, and looks out of sorts far too often. Last night was about as good as it gets, and watching us utilize a potent transition game was very impressive. But it makes me wonder why 4 of the past 5 previous years it was almost non-existent.
Transition game starts with rebounding. If you want to get out and run, you first need to secure the ball.

Transition game starts with rebounding. If you want to get out and run, you first need to secure the ball.

Have we been that abysmal in rebounding in previous years? It seems like we wouldn't get out and run even when we did get the rebound. It looks like they've placed a premium on transition this year. Man Palmer is great at pushing the ball down the court.

Jordy needs to start looking for the outlet when he brings the ball down. His rebounds seem to slow the pace pretty substantially.

The Michigan game was really impressive. Hopefully, it turns out to be something to build the rest of the season on. Lack of talented big men could hurt in a few games but we have a lot of talented mid-sized guys. Depth is not a problem, which is amazing given the yearly turnover.

Miles is still likable but the leash must be short.

Anyone else bet the win total overs? 13.5!

Also...this is great for Tim...the Big Ten is the worst I have ever seen it and he is doing EXACTLY what he needs to do...he is taking advantage of it. Good for him.

It seemed that the defense was consistently a step ahead all night. Got behind only a couple of times and got beat but that was great defense. Shut Michigan down.

If Miles had a decent offense consistently, then people might be a little more lenient on him. As of now though, the team is still up and down and loses its way offensively too often.

With Moos on board, Miles better keep after it. If he has the players, he needs to have a good year. NCAA tourney or bust? Nope, but that is what many want.

If after 6 years he can't win, how many more years does he get? Pretty sure the previous couple coaches all got about 6 years. How is Miles' 6th year comparing to their 6th years?

I just hope he can coach us to wins... and a lot of them! In a down B1G year, this is a prime opportunity to make a move to finish in the top 5 of the conference.
So what does Moos do? Bring in his old Oregon/Washington St coach? That seems to be his extent of basketball coaching hire experience. Seriously, without the transfers the Nebraska team would not have progressed to where it is. Transfers can be hit or miss. Walt P was a miss. Seems like the Bigs that we get through transfers are pretty much one dimensional. Plus getting team chemistry can be difficult. I think the fact that Palmer, Gill and Copeland have been here a while has helped develop the chemistry

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
I think Miles preaches good defense - he just hasn't always gotten players to buy in. And his frustration boils over to some roster turnover. Offense has been the problem - this year we have guys that go score points. They don't always look smooth in the set offense - but if the shooting is not terrible - they are able to score enough to win.

Agree St John's loss was bad.

Unless something drastic changes he's safe for the foreseeable future. And has the team to cement his safety, i.e. win one NCAA tourney game and we'll be commissioning a statue. I hope he can use this current team to build some consistency with the talent level.

...we probably have three shovel fulls of dirt on him and here he comes with a pretty nice looking season....
I like Coach Miles...but I liked Coach Riley too. I think Coach Miles has been at Nebraska long enough that we know pretty much what the product is that he is going to produce. And I know that my vote will have no validity nor be considered in whatever happens with Coach Miles at the end of this year.

To me, at the end of the year Mr. Moos and Coach Miles should sit down and evaluate this year, the Team with which to consider going forward, Coach Miles past body of work and decide what action comes next. I would also think that Mr. Moos should consider who is on the short list of Head Coaches in his desk drawer, and what their availability would be. I don't think there is anything new or considered a major Ahhh here.

I think that Coach Miles needs to finish the Regular Season in the Top 50% of the Big 10, and make the NCAA Tournament. If we don't make the tournament, it would be easy to consider that Nebraska would be the #69 or below team in the country. I don't find that acceptable at this point in time.

If the Team makes it to the NIT, they should need to win a game or two there.

Other than that, I am ready for Mr. Moos to make a very strong judgement on what should be done next. There needs to be Recognition for a Job Well Done. And Consequences for When it's Not.

The acceptable standard for Men's Basketball at Nebraska has been to far to low...for far to long.

Big 10 Men's Basketball Teams are stout. Time for Nebraska to Step Up!

Reactions: huskerfan1414
This is a football school, we’ve had no history of winning. The guy does it the right way, says the right things and is in the process of trying to build a foundation. A Basketball team more so than any other sport can be hindered by a single player or two whom doesn’t by in to the team goals (see transfers). Give Tim some years, glad to see a nice W last night.

Pretty obvious it has to be a wait and see how this seasons finishes before making a judgement. Injuries, wins, losses, anyone leaving all has to enter into the final decision. No way you can just say if this happens or that happens then no change or a change must be made. Circumstances are going to matter. Once the season is over an evaluation should be easy. I fully expect Moos to be up to the challenge and make the right decision for Husker basketball going forward! Anyway that has to be the hope!

I like Coach Miles...but I liked Coach Riley too. I think Coach Miles has been at Nebraska long enough that we know pretty much what the product is that he is going to produce. And I know that my vote will have no validity nor be considered in whatever happens with Coach Miles at the end of this year.

To me, at the end of the year Mr. Moos and Coach Miles should sit down and evaluate this year, the Team with which to consider going forward, Coach Miles past body of work and decide what action comes next. I would also think that Mr. Moos should consider who is on the short list of Head Coaches in his desk drawer, and what their availability would be. I don't think there is anything new or considered a major Ahhh here.

I think that Coach Miles needs to finish the Regular Season in the Top 50% of the Big 10, and make the NCAA Tournament. If we don't make the tournament, it would be easy to consider that Nebraska would be the #69 or below team in the country. I don't find that acceptable at this point in time.

If the Team makes it to the NIT, they should need to win a game or two there.

Other than that, I am ready for Mr. Moos to make a very strong judgement on what should be done next. There needs to be Recognition for a Job Well Done. And Consequences for When it's Not.

The acceptable standard for Men's Basketball at Nebraska has been to far to low...for far to long.

Big 10 Men's Basketball Teams are stout. Time for Nebraska to Step Up!
#69 or worse if you don’t make the ncaas? Not exactly accurate, with all the small conference auto bids.

I've always liked the guy but not the results. This current squad is best TEAM he's had so far. If they win the games they are favored in the rest of the year, I think he'll be around for another couple (would've put those odds at near 0% before the start of this season).

GBR

I was thinking after the game last night that maybe Coach Miles has stepped up his game a bit due to having an AD that doesn't "hide underneath a GD rock", obviously expects results, and always keeps a list in his top drawer. Also, maybe some of Coach Cook's and Coach Frost's energy has rubbed off on him.

#69 or worse if you don’t make the ncaas? Not exactly accurate, with all the small conference auto bids.
Exactly, I do agree with you. But no matter what the rating is, it won't be a good one.

My point is that IMO, its time for Nebraska to Commit to a Nationally Competing Men's Basketball Program. The Big 10 is a solid Basketball Conference with 4-5 Teams in the Top 25.

That Commitment really isn't something I feel we have in my lifetime. We have the Facilities, Fan Base and Resources to do that. As I said before, I like Coach Miles. But its Results time. If he can produce them, that would be great. If he can't, it's time to bring in a Nationally Proven Coach. JMO, doesn't have to be anyone else's.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Exactly, I do agree with you. But no matter what the rating is, it won't be a good one.

My point is that IMO, its time for Nebraska to Commit to a Nationally Competing Men's Basketball Program. The Big 10 is a solid Basketball Conference with 4-5 Teams in the Top 25.

That Commitment really isn't something I feel we have in my lifetime. We have the Facilities, Fan Base and Resources to do that. As I said before, I like Coach Miles. But its Results time. If he can produce them, that would be great. If he can't, it's time to bring in a Nationally Proven Coach. JMO, doesn't have to be anyone else's.
How do you get a National, proven coach, to a school with no proof of success?

Reactions: TrueBigRedFan
How do you get a National, proven coach, to a school with no proof of success?
Great Question. Make the Commitment, and you go out and Recruit One.

What does Nebraska have to offer:

A Big 10 Conference School, a National Brand School, even if not in Basketball, Fantastic Basketball Facilities, a Great Matching Fan Base with manageable expectations. Along with a Strong, Supportive Athletic Director, Chancellor, University President, Booster Support and Compensation Money with a Longer Term Contract.

Provide the Financial Resources to Recruit with the National Power Schools, and to Hire the appropriate Assistant Coaching Staff.

Added Bonus: A Revitalized National Brand Football Program with an incredible amount of Energy and Positive Media Support to help draw to.

That's the Formula.

A Nationally Proven Name Coach, with the right Assistant Coaching Staff will attract enough of the right Players. And when the Recruits get to Lincoln, they are going to like the Facilities and the Community.

And a Nationally Proven Coach would like those assets and be attracted to that, and not be intimidated by the aura of Scott Frost, but will see it as an asset.

And then, it is Warmer than Michigan! :)

Last edited:
I like the guy. I thought canning him after last season would have been a mistake, but man, it looked like he was toast with all the guys leaving. Good for him though. He seemed to know what was best.
For those of you who have ever followed HS basketball, think about the cases where TALENT was coming up the chain and the admin fired the existing coach in order to (A) get rid of him before the talent he helped develop comes up and (B) make their own genius hire by bringing in a new coach in a previously struggling program with real talent coming on the scene. Happens all too often.

Lucky for Miles he got another year (or two). Most coaches do not.

Reactions: CelticHawk
For those of you who have ever followed HS basketball, think about the cases where TALENT was coming up the chain and the admin fired the existing coach in order to (A) get rid of him before the talent he helped develop comes up and (B) make their own genius hire by bringing in a new coach in a previously struggling program with real talent coming on the scene. Happens all too often.

Lucky for Miles he got another year (or two). Most coaches do not.
Maybe lucky for us too. Miles is using the same kind of formula that Hoiberg used at ISU with transfer difference makers. NU's national perception among basketball recruits (especially the AAU scene) has not been great but look now at some of the true freshmen Miles has been able to recruit. Jacobsen had an offer from Hoiberg. Why didn't he go there right from the start? Now we have Watson, Allen, Roby and even Jordy. MILES is helping change the perception of NU among the basketball community and long term that is going to pay dividends IMO. I'm glad we gave him another year and it's fun to see this team because listening to one of his long time coaching friends, THIS with the length and athleticism is how he has always wanted to play. A couple of true bigs available but long athletic 3s, 4s and 5s who can shoot from the perimeter, stretch the D and give headaches to opposing offenses with their length. It took some time but he has the pieces in place now and we see what they're capable of. GETTING THEM TO BELIEVE is a huge part of the deal and I think we're finally seeing it. Hopefully we can keep it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
Not really that hard...he has better players...so...the stuff he wants to do works better.
I'm wondering if the people who thought I was nuts last year for suggesting that Morrow and Jacobsen transferred in part because they thought their minutes and opportunities were going to be significantly diminished still think they would be playing as much (or even starting) with this lineup? Still wish we had them but....

Great Question. Make the Commitment, and you go out and Recruit One.

What does Nebraska have to offer:

A Big 10 Conference School, a National Brand School, even if not in Basketball, Fantastic Basketball Facilities, a Great Matching Fan Base with manageable expectations. Along with a Strong, Supportive Athletic Director, Chancellor, University President, Booster Support and Compensation Money with a Longer Term Contract.

Provide the Financial Resources to Recruit with the National Power Schools, and to Hire the appropriate Assistant Coaching Staff.

Added Bonus: A Revitalized National Brand Football Program with an incredible amount of Energy and Positive Media Support to help draw to.

That's the Formula.

A Nationally Proven Name Coach, with the right Assistant Coaching Staff will attract enough of the right Players. And when the Recruits get to Lincoln, they are going to like the Facilities and the Community.

And a Nationally Proven Coach would like those assets and be attracted to that, and not be intimidated by the aura of Scott Frost, but will see it as an asset.

And then, it is Warmer than Michigan! :)
If you're convinced a "nationally proven coach" will accept the Nebraska job, name some names. Who exactly are you talking about?

I've never been of the mindset that if Nebraska decides Miles needs to go, it can't attract a quality coach. But a nationally proven coach? Please give us your list of names who might come to Lincoln.

If you're convinced a "nationally proven coach" will accept the Nebraska job, name some names. Who exactly are you talking about?

I've never been of the mindset that if Nebraska decides Miles needs to go, it can't attract a quality coach. But a nationally proven coach? Please give us your list of names who might come to Lincoln.
Whether anybody wants to admit it or not, we HAVE a national COY award winner already. I'm not sure that IF we ever canned Miles that we could ever get another. It would almost take a guy with pre-existing ties to NU and there aren't any of those out there. Miles has gotten the guys we need and nobody since Nee has been able to do that. IF Nee hadn't had so many personal issues at NU who knows what may have happened here.

Whether anybody wants to admit it or not, we HAVE a national COY award winner already. I'm not sure that IF we ever canned Miles that we could ever get another. It would almost take a guy with pre-existing ties to NU and there aren't any of those out there. Miles has gotten the guys we need and nobody since Nee has been able to do that. IF Nee hadn't had so many personal issues at NU who knows what may have happened here.
Unless this season falls apart, I'm certain Miles is here for at least another year or two. But if the time comes to make a change I think NU could definitely attract a successful mid-major head coach like Dan Muller at Illinois State or Joe Dooley at Florida Gulf Coast, to name a couple of examples. Nebraska could also pull a top assistant away from a Top 10-15 program. But a "nationally proven coach"? I don't know who that would be, unless we're talking about someone like Johnny Dawkins or Tubby Smith, whose best coaching days are probably behind them.

Great Questions. Thanks for asking. Below are my thoughts, others may be thinking something else.

1). There was Coach by the name of Huggins that was very interested last time. That has been mentioned here many times. Google him. He may not be Roy Williams, but he's pretty well known.

2). Any coach may be interested if he is not exactly happy with the situation at his school. Things Change. Maybe he doesn't match up with his AD, or he doesn't feel that he is receiving the recruiting resources his program deserves, or the support to hire the Assistant Coaching Staff he wants. Or he is having issues with people classified as Boosters.

And then some don't feel appreciated any more. Some Coaches are at a point in Life, they don't want to quit yet, but want to be closer to family. And sometimes a Coach is just looking for the Energy of a fresh start somewhere else etc..

There are many reasons a Coach would change positions. And Name Coaches do change from time to time.

3). There is one coach, that most people would know, that would be very interested in Nebraska if the position were available. He is currently coaching in a major conference, and his team makes the NCAA Tournament most years. I only know that because he's my nephew. And he has told me of his interest on more than one occasion. The timing has never been right, but it would be now. He really likes Tim Miles, but would inquire if the opportunity was there.

He's interested because he feels it would be a great opportunity, and due to more than one of the issues I mentioned above.

Are there 20 of these "Nationally Proven Coaches" I am referring to available every year? Of course not. Because in my opinion, there aren't 20 of them in that category. And most aren't looking to leave their current positions. But every year Coaches move around and some of the Elite Coaches consider it. It just takes that right opportunity.

Having had a career in Corporate America I was taught one thing: Everything is Permanent, Right up till the Time it Changes". You just never know who is considering a move.

Mr. Moos has a list, he knows who these Coaches are, and he knows how to find out who might be available. That's been his Career, he's well known and it's his Job...not Mine.

My job is to come to this site, read, evaluate and then Bi---, Whine and Complain. And I am always trying to Hone my Skills at that. Because I continually struggle to keep up. :)

Last edited:
I like your post. Coach Miles has been here for a length of time now. I believe we pretty much know what his teams are going to deliver. And IMO this is a very important year for him. I believe his team would have to finish in the top half of the league at the end of the season and make the NCAA tournament to assure his position for next year. JMO. Doesn't have to be anyone else's.

I would argue though, that I do believe we would be able to upgrade and possibly significantly should the position open up. I am not calling for the firing of Coach Miles. But I believe we would have some Coaches we would really want interested in Nebraska. And partly for all the reasons that Scott Frost mentioned that were important to him.

The season will be over before we know it, and we will see how it all turns out then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT