ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Tim Miles critical of officiating in Big Ten Tourney loss

Robin Washut

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2008
Nebraska's Tim Miles usually does a good job of toeing the line with his post-game critics of officiating without saying too much to get fined but enough to get his point across.

After Friday night's loss to Maryland in the Big Ten Tournament, Miles was as blunt with his opinion on the job referees Gene Steratore, Larry Scirotto, and Rob Riley did.

Miles was asked about a particular play in the game's final seconds, when Maryland's Jared Nickens missed the front end of a one-and-one 56 seconds to play and NU only down 92-86. Nebraska's Glynn Watson was called for a foul on the rebound to many fans watching, as well as Miles, was a hardly a justifiable call.

“I thought we had a defensive stop at the end," Miles said. "When they made the one free throw, missed the next and then tipped it out. I thought we had a defensive stop.”

Miles later went on to say that play was just the latest instance in a season-long theme of Nebraska not getting the same types of calls from officials that other teams in the conference have.

“Emotionally, when you’re charged up and you’re in the game and you think you’re making the right plays and you aren’t necessarily subjective on 50-50 calls that don’t go your way, you feel like it’s not going you’re way," Miles said when asked his opinion on the game's officiating. "So that upsets you. I’ll have to watch the tape.

“I just kind of feel like our team deserves more respect. I’m not sure we’re getting that in a lot of different forms or ways.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News