ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday: Nebraska vs. Indiana (Huskers are Eliminated 6-2)

Top 9th

Luensmann now in to pitch. Another leadoff single for Indiana. 5-4-3 double play clears the base pads. K ends the frame

IF they somehow still get invited, I'm not eating any crow over it. They will have backed their way in, and that ain't something to be proud about.

Technically I wouldn't call getting into a regional 'backing into a regional' considering how many teams there are and how few regional spots there are in comparison. It would be on a sour note that's for sure.

Going two-and-barbecue is not the way to cement a regional bid. Back-to-back season lows in hits is more than just a little disappointing.

Going two-and-barbecue is not the way to cement a regional bid. Back-to-back season lows in hits is more than just a little disappointing.
2 'n 'que squared. Mustn't forget last year.

IF they somehow still get invited, I'm not eating any crow over it. They will have backed their way in, and that ain't something to be proud about.
So even if we get a regional bid you were still right about how bad we are?

Not completely right obviously, but the past 2 days reaffirmed to me exactly what this team is.
That is the problem, specifically: Making judgements about a baseball team based on one or two games. The season-long body of work suggests they are better than they showed in Omaha.

That is the problem, specifically: Making judgements about a baseball team based on one or two games. The season-long body of work suggests they are better than they showed in Omaha.

Then they should have won more in Omaha... Or at least showed up.

Does it? We played some good baseball down the stretch but beat maybe ONE at large worthy team in Creighton. Results matter...and Erstad bringing home zero hardware thus far is unacceptable.

I would much rather have a big ten trophy than a regional bid honestly. We make it to regionals and we won't make it very far

Texas barely made the Regionals and still made the CWS a few years back. I'd take that in a heartbeat over a Big Ten Title if given the option. I do think this team needs a trophy of some kind to build that confidence and momentum. I remember DVH's teams winning that Tourney in '99 and it really set the trajectory for the next few years.

Texas barely made the Regionals and still made the CWS a few years back. I'd take that in a heartbeat over a Big Ten Title if given the option. I do think this team needs a trophy of some kind to build that confidence and momentum. I remember DVH's teams winning that Tourney in '99 and it really set the trajectory for the next few years.

The two usually go hand in hand...but yeah sure, I'd much rather have a regional appearance than winning the BIG 10. Winning the conference and or the tournament does mean something...and Erstad has failed to do so every year hes been here.

The silver lining is...if we do make a regional(and I think we will)...our pitching staff should be well rested. And hopefully...a lineup with Schreiber in it.

The silver lining is...if we do make a regional(and I think we will)...our pitching staff should be well rested. And hopefully...a lineup with Schreiber in it.

They certainly won't be able to claim fatigue. I do remember Augie from Tejas stating he was never worried about winning the Big 12 Tourney because he'd rather take the rest. I imagine that's all we are doing correct? :confused:

Our RPI is currently 42 which should be good enough to get us in. We won't host for obvious reasons so see us being a 2 or 3 seed team depending what happens in other conference tournaments here on out. Don't be shocked if we are sent to a Top 8 seed either.

Our RPI is currently 42 which should be good enough to get us in. We won't host for obvious reasons so see us being a 2 or 3 seed team depending what happens in other conference tournaments here on out. Don't be shocked if we are sent to a Top 8 seed either.
Wouldn't be surprised if we miss out altogether. Going from host team bubble (out) to at-large bubble (in) at 100MPH is the wrong trajectory.

If more than a couple one/two bid leagues surprise with an unexpected tourney champ, that will squeeze teams like us mightily.

Does it? We played some good baseball down the stretch but beat maybe ONE at large worthy team in Creighton. Results matter...and Erstad bringing home zero hardware thus far is unacceptable.
Agreed about no hardware. But that's sadly the state of the entire men's athletic program. Only the track team is bringing home any trophies.

I'll give you that it doesn't look good that they didn't perform well when the lights were brightest but I refuse to decide how good or bad they are based on two games.

But see, the problem is that you are looking at it as 2 games. I'm not. I'm looking at most of the season being like the past 2 days, and then an abnormal hot streak (largely against subpar competition). Like it or not, the last 2 days showed me that the hot streak was just that... A streak, which in hindsight was ridden mainly by 1 extremely hot player, who once was gone, the entire teams performance came down. Its over... We might make a regional (I'm doubting it)... But even if we do, after the past 2 days, I'm convinced it would be a fast exit. I'd love to be proven wrong of course. I'd gladly eat the crow.

My wanting to win the BIG mainly comes from all men's sports failing to get a trophy since joining. I was very worried before this tournament because we played a team that we had already beaten and doing it again without our hottest player would be tough. Then to make it worse we get a team we swept the week before who is pissed off/ embarrassed. If we can go into regionals pissed off and upset someone I will still consider this a good season.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
My wanting to win the BIG mainly comes from all men's sports failing to get a trophy since joining. I was very worried before this tournament because we played a team that we had already beaten and doing it again without our hottest player would be tough. Then to make it worse we get a team we swept the week before who is pissed off/ embarrassed. If we can go into regionals pissed off and upset someone I will still consider this a good season.

It doesn't seem that this team plays with much emotion. It seems they just go with the flow of whats happening that day. Watching some of the Iowa game yesterday when they would show the dugout, their players were excited and acted like they were happy to be there. Nebraska's dugout....not so much.

I tried not getting excited for this tourney as I was afraid of the typical letdown. I guess I was right even though I did end up getting pumped up about it. I guess I have taught myself a lesson about an Erstad led team.

It doesn't seem that this team plays with much emotion. It seems they just go with the flow of whats happening that day. Watching some of the Iowa game yesterday when they would show the dugout, their players were excited and acted like they were happy to be there. Nebraska's dugout....not so much.

I tried not getting excited for this tourney as I was afraid of the typical letdown. I guess I was right even though I did end up getting pumped up about it. I guess I have taught myself a lesson about an Erstad led team.
Well, I mean, Iowa got 18 hits yesterday. That makes for a happy dugout, people having fun, throwing high fives. We got six hits over two days. Makes for a sad, unhappy dugout.

If you think there was any type of fire in that dugout eve before the 5 run collapse, I promisen you watched a different game than I did. I was very close to the dugout during Wednesdays game and there was nothing. Looked like they didnt want to be there.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT