ADVERTISEMENT

Those “white outs” at Penn St make perfect sense after reading this

If you ever get the chance to have a truly open conversation about race with a person of color you could exactly see where the implication comes from. Best HR person I ever worked with quit and moved from small town Iowa to St. Louis because she had a nice car and was tired of getting pulled over by the police and asked where she got such a nice vehicle.. happened 4-5 times a year... I witnessed it myself.. but if it doesn’t happen to you, we can’t make the leap... me included..

So you are saying this letter was written by a cop?

Right
Because white players never have hair styles or tattoos that others find unattractive.

What's funny is the guy you quoted actually came off as racist while trying to project virtue.

I think this is more ageist vs racist. Younger people like to wear their hair long and have tattoos. Older people didn’t. So when we think about all the problems in the world we try to find anything different now to blame them with a goal of going back to the simpler (in their eyes better) days.

This is really the premise of MAGA.

Reactions: tpmcg
I think the letter was/is real (according to some on a PSU site).

Anyway...remember a few years back when PSU was DEAD and it would take YEARS TO RECOVER. Ha...so much for that.

There are two comments that are different takes on the False-Consensus Effect here.
  • The Title of this thread... "White Outs" is trying to forcefully make all of us believe this letter is indeed a direct jab at black people
  • The letter itself... The writer is trying to say is what he wants is what "everyone" expects. Then in turn, what the player looks like is not what "everyone" wants. He is stating it like everyone believes the same thing!
If this was truly written to a Penn State player and was not a hoax. There is a lot going on with it. Yes, this could be a racist individual. Yes, the person receiving it has every right to take it that way. The problem is "Dave Peterson" has no idea he is going to offend anyone here. He probably also thinks he was doing good for the University by sending it.

This is where the problem lies. Dave and/or the person that made this as a joke, are the definition of an egocentric narcissist. An egocentric narcissist is not always a racist, but they could be one. They also may not be one, but come across as one even though they say the same thing to anyone they talk to. Not just minorities.

Is it better to be an egocentric narcissist, not necessarily. A racist person can change beliefs and realize what they are doing is wrong. Making a narcissist change their mind is whole different story, and damn near impossible! The truth here is scary and also very sad.

There are way too many people out there that think their view points are fact, and everyone else should be in agreeance with them. Any way you look at it joke or not, that letter is terrible!

Last edited:
I think the letter was/is real (according to some on a PSU site).

Anyway...remember a few years back when PSU was DEAD and it would take YEARS TO RECOVER. Ha...so much for that.

Why do you/they think it was real? If it was real I'd think the librul media would've identified the sender already.

Reactions: barney44
Still not seeing anything racial. Must be a really scary white guy to drum up all this attention
I think people of color perpetuate racism just as much as white people. What if the guy just thinks his hair looks like shit? Are there any white guys on the team with long hair the author omitted? Or is the player just looking for a reason to call someone racist?

To be longing for those clean old days, i’ve got it narrowed down to Robert Young, (father knows best,) Ward Cleaver or possibly Ozzie Nelson or Fred Mac Murray of My 3 sons.

The only black guy I can see telling his son to clean up is, John Amos (James Evans) to Jimmie Walker of “Good Times.”He was pretty firm. Fred Sanford would get onLamont & his pal Rollo....Fred was too old to ride them too much.

GBR!

Ah man, guess it wasn't a hoax. Incredible that someone could be that much of an ass to send a letter like that to a college student. Wrong on so many levels. He's not doing himself any favors with the little line about not wanting them to look like FSU or Miami guys. Hard to deny that there's probably a bit of underlying racism that played a part in motivating him to write that letter.

Reactions: headcard
How you perceive something to be terrible does not make one a racist. I think dreadlocks look terrible myself, even worse on white guys. It just so happens that more black folks have them.

This sensitive shit is exactly why racism is such a thing these days. It’s an easy card to pull and every little criticism is somehow racist.

If everything is racist then nothing is racist..

People do need to mind their own businesses though. You don’t have the like someone but don’t expect them to abode by your guidelines..

are we talking about hairs...?
lets stop talking about hairs.

How you perceive something to be terrible does not make one a racist. I think dreadlocks look terrible myself, even worse on white guys. It just so happens that more black folks have them.

This sensitive shit is exactly why racism is such a thing these days. It’s an easy card to pull and every little criticism is somehow racist.

If everything is racist then nothing is racist..

People do need to mind their own businesses though. You don’t have the like someone but don’t expect them to abode by your guidelines..

amen

Still not seeing anything racial. Must be a really scary white guy to drum up all this attention

This just shows it clearly wan't a hoax, as was my first impression. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I get that it isn't overtly racist (racial slurs, etc) but, to me, there are clear racial undertones and it is up to you to decide if you think it's OK. Personally, I can't imagine the nerve to write a college student and tell them I don't like their hair or style or whatever.

Reactions: SC_'sker and tpmcg
shoulder length dreads are gross on anyone....any race....any gender or sexuality. However....cornrows are another subject altogether!
vattire.jpg
source.gif

btw, id be curious to see what this most recent ‘gladys kravitz’ looks like...

Last edited:
So no one is allowed to have an opinion on a black player’s appearance?
Just be a racist, the world is full of them. Again, he uses words in the letter like "awful" describing attributes directly related to his appearance, which can be easily associated with black men. You're either an idiot, a full blown racist or the type of guy that calls black people "coloreds" because you're 80+ years old. Which one is it?

Just be a racist, the world is full of them. Again, he uses words in the letter like "awful" describing attributes directly related to his appearance, which can be easily associated with black men. You're either an idiot, a full blown racist or the type of guy that calls black people "coloreds" because you're 80+ years old. Which one is it?

Lmao. I don’t even know where to start.

Lmao. I don’t even know where to start.
I'll tell you where you can start. I'm black. Do you think I'm confused about what racism looks like? Many of the comments on this post are out of touch and offensive to a black person. I know you probably don't mean it or even realize it but to defend that letter in any way is ridiculous.

I'll tell you where you can start. I'm black. Do you think I'm confused about what racism looks like? Many of the comments on this post are out of touch and offensive to a black person. I know you probably don't mean it or even realize it but to defend that letter in any way is ridiculous.

I’m mixed with a black father and a white mother. Keep going though.

I said 3x in this thread the guy who wrote it is an idiot. However I don’t know if he’s racist or just disgusted with a hairstyle and tats.

Reactions: EATAFAT1
To be longing for those clean old days, i’ve got it narrowed down to Robert Young, (father knows best,) Ward Cleaver or possibly Ozzie Nelson or Fred Mac Murray of My 3 sons.

The only black guy I can see telling his son to clean up is, John Amos (James Evans) to Jimmie Walker of “Good Times.”He was pretty firm. Fred Sanford would get onLamont & his pal Rollo....Fred was too old to ride them too much.

GBR!
Rollo was straight dope.

I’m mixed with a black father and a white mother. Keep going though.

I said 3x in this thread the guy who wrote it is an idiot. However I don’t know if he’s racist or just disgusted with a hairstyle and tats.
Sure. Nice to meet you David Duke.

Okay, I’m not part black but I did have a pair of British Knights as a boy in 1991

Okay, I’m not part black but I did have a pair of British Knights as a boy in 1991

Oh I get it. You had a pair of "black guy" shoes once.

Make sure you cut the eye holes big enough on your hood before you go out lynching tonight.

You all are on this board, right? You've seen the dog-shit-stupid stuff that "fans" think and write? Is it honestly hard to believe that somebody would write something that stupid and petty about unimportant crap to a player?

Within the last week we've decided Adrian is too heavy on the heels of being very sure Mo is too skinny, people hated Kenny Bell writing stuff on his tape or whatever when he played at NU, but sure, any commentary on a player's physical appearance must be fake.

Or is this not the place where I routinely see that dressing the team in all white for a road game should be punishable by death? No, fans would never really delve into minutia about how players dress, act, or keep their hair...

Oh I get it. You had a pair of "black guy" shoes once.

Make sure you cut the eye holes big enough on your hood before you go out lynching tonight.

Nah, just sleeping on my California King bed in my 5000sqft house. Do you think that’s true?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT