ADVERTISEMENT

Thor!!!

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
is shooting at a 47% clip from 3 this year. 50% from the field overall. Had 9 rebounds and 17 points against Iowa. Most impressively he drained 3 3s from WAAAAAY downtown last night at crucial points of the game. They were Steph Curry deep and were nothing but net. I'm very happy for him and so glad Fred hung on to him. I posted in January last year that I thought we were a better team with him on the floor. The kid just knows how to play and goes all out all the time to make the most of what he has.

Not sure how good he was last year because we didn't really see him until the season was over, but he probably could have saved the season if he had a more prominent role. Needed a guy like him on the court last year, badly.

Agree. I was on the Thor wagon the minute he started playing more last year. Easy to tell that last year he was arguably the highest IQ player we had on offense and his weaknesses seem to diminish with each game. Super glad he’s doing well as he does bring the energy and hustle every second he’s out there.

Miles didn't play him until his roster was down to around 7 players. Hoiberg didn't realize what he had either until Green was suspended and he gave Thorbjarnarson more playing time. Other players are raving about how he makes the team better.

Thor and Mack seem to connect well. Last year Thor was one of the few guys who actually moved without the ball, but it rarely resulted in him getting the ball and he never really got involved in the offense. It seems Mack at least tries to reward players for getting open - something that's been lacking at NU for a while. Huskers are much better when they're not just out there trying to create their own shots, but working to get open one or two passes down the line.

You have to think the writing is on the wall for Green. I agree with Thor. Plays hard. Has become a surprise player this year. Good for Thor

Thor and Mack seem to connect well. Last year Thor was one of the few guys who actually moved without the ball, but it rarely resulted in him getting the ball and he never really got involved in the offense. It seems Mack at least tries to reward players for getting open - something that's been lacking at NU for a while. Huskers are much better when they're not just out there trying to create their own shots, but working to get open one or two passes down the line.
He moved well without the ball and even given his limits athletically usually seemed to be in the right spot on defense. He's got good hands and seems to deflect passes and tip rebounds out of a mass of bodies. Smart player. He's fun to watch.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
He moved well without the ball and even given his limits athletically usually seemed to be in the right spot on defense. He's got good hands and seems to deflect passes and tip rebounds out of a mass of bodies. Smart player. He's fun to watch.
Thor's rebounding is a bit improved this year too, provided Indiana players aren't allowed to two-hand shove him into the third row.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Thor works his butt off. Thor is a good example how a less talented kid plays ahead of a highly recruited kid.
GO THOR!!

Thor probably isn’t a high major athlete. But he makes up for it with his basketball IQ. He has a great feel for the game.

Also, I think developing shooters will be a common theme under Hoiberg. That was my biggest beef with Miles.

Thor probably isn’t a high major athlete. But he makes up for it with his basketball IQ. He has a great feel for the game.

Also, I think developing shooters will be a common theme under Hoiberg. That was my biggest beef with Miles.

He's like to old man at the rec league that there is no way he can be good, but with 50 head fakes, hook shots, and other trickeration he seems to score points.

Larry Bird wasn't a high major athlete either but he was 6-10. Guy just knew how to play. I don't know what Miles did in reference to "coaching" shooting. Danny Nee had a deal where at his youth basketball camps he challenged kids to MAKE 100 free throws a day, every day, from the camp through a certain date and then he would let them sit at the end of the bench and come in to the locker room at halftime of a home game.

First you teach them the right form, then you have them do thousands of reps to develop muscle memory. You can help guys become better shooters whether it's free throws or spot up shooting. Several of our guys seem to at least be developing better form at the FT line and eventually I think that will pay off for them both from the line and the field. Pavelka mentioned that he has noticed Cross in particular shooting tons of free throws in the shoot around. THAT is something they can do outside of regular practice time that will make them much better players.

What exactly are his "limits athletically?" How is it that someone would think that there is no way he can be good? The backhanded compliments are hilarious. He's got a pretty impressive resume already if you want to take the time to look at his accomplishments. You guys may not think he looks the part, whatever that means to you, but I'm going out on a limb and taking the position that he's a damn good athlete, because he has proven it, and has shown that he belongs on the floor with all the other high-major-worthy basketball players.

Reactions: bigRed-no-BiilyC
is shooting at a 47% clip from 3 this year. 50% from the field overall. Had 9 rebounds and 17 points against Iowa. Most impressively he drained 3 3s from WAAAAAY downtown last night at crucial points of the game. They were Steph Curry deep and were nothing but net. I'm very happy for him and so glad Fred hung on to him. I posted in January last year that I thought we were a better team with him on the floor. The kid just knows how to play and goes all out all the time to make the most of what he has.
He will go down in history for me at least with his major block on iowas guard last year to win that game.. just a studhorse!!

What exactly are his "limits athletically?" How is it that someone would think that there is no way he can be good? The backhanded compliments are hilarious. He's got a pretty impressive resume already if you want to take the time to look at his accomplishments. You guys may not think he looks the part, whatever that means to you, but I'm going out on a limb and taking the position that he's a damn good athlete, because he has proven it, and has shown that he belongs on the floor with all the other high-major-worthy basketball players.
He's not very quick and he doesn't have a very good vertical. THOSE are his limits athletically. That isn't a back handed compliment. Those are the facts. You're not going to find a bigger Thor fan on this board than me but I'm honest about his athletic attributes. Yes he's a very good athlete. You have to be that to even get on the floor in the B1G BUT he probably >75% of the time is guarded by someone who has more physical talent in the form of quickness and leaping ability. The same could have been said about Larry Bird and I was a HUGE Bird fan.

Reactions: schuele
He's not very quick and he doesn't have a very good vertical. THOSE are his limits athletically. That isn't a back handed compliment. Those are the facts. You're not going to find a bigger Thor fan on this board than me but I'm honest about his athletic attributes. Yes he's a very good athlete. You have to be that to even get on the floor in the B1G BUT he probably >75% of the time is guarded by someone who has more physical talent in the form of quickness and leaping ability. The same could have been said about Larry Bird and I was a HUGE Bird fan.
Yeah there's a reason why Thor was available as a late roster add-on back when he came to Nebraska, as I doubt that he was on the radar of many Power 5 programs. But he stuck it out as an end-of-the-bench player for Miles, got an opportunity with Hoiberg, and he's making the most of it. So good for Thor, and I hope his persistence rubs off on some of his teammates.

The facts? Nah. He actually is fairly quick, and has very quick hands, and high percentage from the field. All good indicators of athleticism. He’s not going to blow by anyone, but there are maybe a couple guys on the team that will. What’s his vertical? He’s nothing like Larry Bird, but whatever

The facts? Nah. He actually is fairly quick, and has very quick hands, and high percentage from the field. All good indicators of athleticism. He’s not going to blow by anyone, but there are maybe a couple guys on the team that will. What’s his vertical? He’s nothing like Larry Bird, but whatever
I've played against a fair number of high D-1 and a few pro players. Thor's athleticism is probably a notch below most high D-1 players. He's not quick for a high D-1 player. He's technically very sound with his feet and stays in position so he doesn't have to be super quick on D and he's a smart rebounder who works his tail off. He does have a pretty good wingspan as well. I'll take that over the guy with a 40" vertical who does stupid stuff the whole game and never boxes out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT