ADVERTISEMENT

The transfer portal shouldn't be open until after bowl season

That would leave...oh about one week for transfers to enroll at their new school....
If they know that their leaving, what kind of effort would they give the team their leaving in practice why this wouldn’t work.. but they opened up big can of worms and the Orange bowl yesterday was the best example which’s it happened..

Not enough of these kids want to stick around because they think the grass in nicer on the other side and don’t want to fight adversity..

Reactions: baseball31ne
That would leave...oh about one week for transfers to enroll at their new school....
Exactly, and the schools themselves shouldn't have to put up with that BS either... changing their entire admissions and enrollment process just because some entitled football player wants to transfer to his third school in 3 years. I think what gets lost in this is these are student-athletes, notice the word student comes first. I seem to remember transferring credits and figuring out financial aid and all that wasn't all that easy when enrolling at a new school. The transfer portal schedule I think is fine. If there is a push to increase bowl participation, I think it is going to have to come through some other means.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Exactly, and the schools themselves shouldn't have to put up with that BS either... changing their entire admissions and enrollment process just because some entitled football player wants to transfer to his third school in 3 years. I think what gets lost in this is these are student-athletes, notice the word student comes first. I seem to remember transferring credits and figuring out financial aid and all that wasn't all that easy when enrolling at a new school. The transfer portal schedule I think is fine. If there is a push to increase bowl participation, I think it is going to have to come through some other means.
If we changed the term "student-athletes" to "athlete-students", does that change the mentality of a anything?

To me, no.

Reactions: scarletred
No, the student athlete who wants to transfer should only have a week to complete the process. Take it or leave it.

No one should be able to transfer until after all the games have been played.

We need to eliminate the exceptions allowing multiple transfers. You should have maximum of five years of eligibility and maximum one transfer. No excuses. Casey is working on his 3rd transfer and 7th year. Most university employees don’t last that long.

Reactions: moralvictories
We need to eliminate the exceptions allowing multiple transfers. You should have maximum of five years of eligibility and maximum one transfer. No excuses. Casey is working on his 3rd transfer and 7th year. Most university employees don’t last that long.
The courts have been ruling in favor of unlimited transfers though. Lawyers are driving this thing.

New 12 team playoff is going to change the post season(bowl season lol) schedule quite a bit I think. Maybe open the portal Dec 26, day after Christmas. That will give kids about 5-6 more days, and like others have said, many deals will be worked or set in motion before the portal is officially open anyway.

Problem is it won’t really matter with how the courts are ruling and with NCAA’s inability to matter in any substantive way. Looks as if they’re doing away with the one time transfer rule. Going to be chaos (already is) and very difficult for many coaches to foster stability and continuity with their roster. In the end, they seem to want to make even easier to transfer at every turn. Under the current rules and direction, I don’t think moving the portal window a few weeks will do much to curb the chaos.

At least there will be 12 teams (next year) that will have a good reason/incentive to retain their players. At least they’ll wait till spring before they transfer…🤷‍♂️

The courts have been ruling in favor of unlimited transfers though. Lawyers are driving this thing.
Yes, us fans can say whatever we want BUT the legal system has zero interest in listening to or satisfying the wants of fans. For the legal system it's all about player rights. Period.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yes, us fans can say whatever we want BUT the legal system has zero interest in listening to or satisfying the wants of fans. For the legal system it's all about player rights. Period.
And then everyone will wonder why the whole thing fell apart and fans lost interest

And then everyone will wonder why the whole thing fell apart and fans lost interest
The legal system won't care as long as players get their rights. And that's exactly the point that fans aren't understanding. Fans are NOT the focus of the legal system.

The legal system won't care as long as players get their rights. And that's exactly the point.
Direct payments from the schools tied to contracts and performance requirements are the way. Make LOI’s a three year commitment that allow either party to separate or continue after the fact. Put an end to NIL collectives in an attempt to make them more organic and not a way to circumvent the salary cap. It won’t be perfect but it’ll level the playing field a bit.

How about opening and closing it during the season? Say starting in October and ending in Nov? If a player wants to leave they should make it known early and immediately de-roster that player for the rest of the season.

Reactions: baseball31ne
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT