ADVERTISEMENT

The silver lining

hawkbleeder

Jul 18, 2002
Hawkeye fan here. When you do start winning divisional titles and championships someday, it will be appreciated that much more because of the comparative struggles you're going through now. Yes the titles were a blessing but they were also a curse for the coaches to follow TO (in a changing landscape of college football where there's more parity etc) as it created unrealistic expectations for the fans. As much as I enjoy Nebraska losing (sorry), I also want Nebraska to be great again with that marquee I-back (let's just call him a RB), just like it feels right to have PSU back being great again. Winning national titles every year seems like it would be good but it's not, just like Elmo's wishing for every day to be Christmas sorta ruined Christmas. The more time goes on from 1997, the HEATHIER it will all be for you (counter-intuitive I know). Peace.

Last edited:
Hawkeye fan here. When you do start winning divisional titles and championships someday, it will be appreciated that much more because of the comparative struggles you're going through now. Yes the titles were a blessing but they were also a curse for the coaches to follow TO (in a changing landscape of college football where there's more parity etc) as it created unrealistic expectations for the fans. As much as I enjoy Nebraska losing (sorry), I also want Nebraska to be great again with that marquee I-back (let's just call him a RB), just like it feels right to have PSU back being great again. Winning national titles every year seems like it would be good but it's not, just like Elmo's wishing for every day to be Christmas sorta ruined Christmas. Peace.
You are definitely right about parity, If a team plays bad they will get beat. Iowa State by all accounts had no business winning yesterday because of who they were playing if you ask some people but that is college football. Scholarship limits, players transferring all the time and multiple offensive styles that creates match up problems has led to what college football is today.

I think these days the lack of proximity to natural recruiting grounds really makes it hard for teams to stay on top and it takes a top notch coach to be able to overcome that. Nebraska being on the western edge of the B1G does them no favors IMO.

But I heard a Sooner fan that felt the ushering in of big tv contracts helped a lot of teams lessen the gap in quality of facilities between a lot of schools and Nebraska and that is what has helped other schools compete with Nebraska and harder for Nebraska to dominate? I'm curious what Husker fans think?

I think its more of a situation it takes a hall of fame or borderline hall of fame coach to win at Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraskas of the world these days. It probably became harder to recruit at the beginning of the Big 12 with the divisions for you guys and recruiting not just joining the B1G.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT