ADVERTISEMENT

The Opening 2015 observations

klrgumby

Nebraska Legend
Dec 19, 2007
Portland, OR
So I had the chance to take an extended lunch break today and head over to Nike for the camp. As you know I try and head over whenever Nebraska is involved with any of the players invited. I was able to get quite a few pics taken of the players that seem to be a possibility for NU and @Nate Clouse should have a nice gallery for us soon.

POB: We obviously should start with the Nebraska man. He was getting in a lot of reps this morning working with Jordan Palmer (younger bro of Carson) with Dilfer looking on. He seemed to be all or nothing in practice as well as the in the game when I watched him today. He threw some great check downs when his first options weren't open, had one incredibly beautiful deep ball that would've been a touchdown but it was in practice reps, and got the ball in a hurry to a few tight spots. Then he had quite a few where all of his targets were blanketed and he was off the mark or were deflected.

I happened to catch a second of Dilfer's time and asked him his thoughts on POB. He said he has all the tools to be successful at the next level. He said he's been up and down during the Finals so far, but so have most of the guys, and that in terms of rankings there was such a log jam from 7-14 that you could easily pick from a hat.

When getting a second to talk to POB he is a great kid. Very nice and polite. He said he was having a blast working with all of these guys and all the mentors that came through to work with them. He said the satellite camp was great as he got to spend time with Matt Moore. Between Moore and Sean Mannion, who was the NFL camp counselor for the Elite 11, he said both were over the moon about Riley and DL and said he would be in great hands in Lincoln. In terms of recruiting guys he said its been tough because a lot of the guys want to go to "the big schools" that are closer to home. He said he had a few guys he's was trying to work on but said the 17', especially the ones in the KJ19 crew, have been really receptive to him and their pitch for NU. Like we always say, POB said all it will take is to get them there and they will see how great it really is at NU.

As for the rest, I didn't get a lot of time this year to roam, as well as the fact they seem to tighten things up every year more and more. I did get a "GBR" shoutout to Elitise who gave a wave back as the linemen were out there the 2 1/2 hours I was there.

Elitise: Linemen are usually at a disadvantage in this setting even with pads because one-on-one benefits the bull rushers. He held up initially his first round but in the second set I saw he was completely blown by. I can't remember the defenders but will try and go back and look through the pics if I can get a number. When it came to the lineman relays he really stood out in terms of his athleticism. He blew up the sled quickly and moved it the 10 yards very fast which many had a hard time moving and controlling, then there was a series of hoops they had to run and cut around, followed by carrying 100 LB dumbbells. He was extremely agile and nimble on his feet and was running a lot better than some of the other guys there.

Juarez: get this man on campus in some way shape or form. He could easily play any of the 3 LB spots imo. He is built like a MLB but had the speed to play outside and run with even a few WR's today. He had an amazing interception that would have been a pick 6 if they had those in 7 on 7. There is no doubt as to why he is a 5 star player.

Bush Jr.: Also another extremely talented player with a bigger build at LB but could probably play anywhere but I really would like him playing more against the run than splitting out in coverage. He could do it but watching him today, against very good talent, he wasn't the best in coverage but you can see his talent and closing speed.

Metcalf: This is one big wideout. Williams and NU would be in good hands with him on the outside. He's tall and built extremely well and has speed to burn. I don't know how much interest he really has in NU but Nate thinks theres a slight chance so hopefully Williams can work his magic here because this guy would be a heavy rotation guy next year.

Some other observations. It was awesome to see the champ, Evander Holyfield out watching his son today. I really thought he was bigger watching him on tv but for his size he is a brick. Also I would feel bad if I were TT QB commit Jett Duffy. His mother and sister were wearing custom made Jett jerseys that had giant pictures of his face on the front and Jett and the #8 in rhinestones on the back. I got a shot of the front and will try and upload it later. Thats all I have for now and will try and think of anything else if I can later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News