ADVERTISEMENT

The logic I don't get is

jarens

Jul 1, 2010
that a potential heart condition played big role in cancelling games. Fair enough. Seems well-documented that high-intensity exercises can increase risk and slow recovery for heart issues. But wait, it's ok to still let coaches run the team like greyhounds for 20 hours a week during practice? Someone should tell Warren that myocarditis doesn't only show up when the scoreboard clock runs and the cameras are on. Furthermore games only exhaust a certain number of team members while practices exhaust the ENTIRE team, which poses a larger risk! Where the hell is the logic there?

that a potential heart condition played big role in cancelling games. Fair enough. Seems well-documented that high-intensity exercises can increase risk and slow recovery for heart issues. But wait, it's ok to still let coaches run the team like greyhounds for 20 hours a week during practice? Someone should tell Warren that myocarditis doesn't only show up when the scoreboard clock runs and the cameras are on. Furthermore games only exhaust a certain number of team members while practices exhaust the ENTIRE team, which poses a larger risk! Where the hell is the logic there?

Its film study and walk throughs. Not real practice. You or I could do it.

Its film study and walk throughs. Not real practice. You or I could do it.
Ah, well I'm seeing quotes like “We are allowed to hold voluntary practices, meetings and strength and conditioning under the 20-hour rule through camp.” Anything official I've seen just lists the time stipulation. I have a feeling this may be open to interpretation still.

Here's the problem for football. When they decided to consult PUBLIC health officials regarding this deal we were doomed. First, a public health official is primarily interested in KEEPING THEIR JOB and then making sure they can't be blamed if somebody gets sick. They have ZERO concern about the emotional well being or the investment of sweat and time that a football player has put in to get to the point of being a college football player. None. They are completely risk averse and there is NO way they were going to say, "sure go ahead and play". When the B1G asked state health officials what they thought they SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WAS GOING TO BE A RESOUNDING NO!. That does NOT mean that there was an unbiased assessment of risk made as to the safety of playing football for college players this fall.

IF we are going to continue to use the standards they used to determine play for COVID, college athletics are done. The first time somebody gets influenza we will have to shut down the season.

Here's the problem for football. When they decided to consult PUBLIC health officials regarding this deal we were doomed. First, a public health official is primarily interested in KEEPING THEIR JOB and then making sure they can't be blamed if somebody gets sick. They have ZERO concern about the emotional well being or the investment of sweat and time that a football player has put in to get to the point of being a college football player. None. They are completely risk averse and there is NO way they were going to say, "sure go ahead and play". When the B1G asked state health officials what they thought they SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WAS GOING TO BE A RESOUNDING NO!. That does NOT mean that there was an unbiased assessment of risk made as to the safety of playing football for college players this fall.

IF we are going to continue to use the standards they used to determine play for COVID, college athletics are done. The first time somebody gets influenza we will have to shut down the season.

I mean somewhat true. But the fine folks at UNMC are under no threat of being fired. And for us, they are a good bulk of the relevant public health officials in question.

Ah, well I'm seeing quotes like “We are allowed to hold voluntary practices, meetings and strength and conditioning under the 20-hour rule through camp.” Anything official I've seen just lists the time stipulation. I have a feeling this may be open to interpretation still.

I lost the link, but I thought Alvarez was quoted as 8 hours of film study and 12 hours of coach assisted walk thrus/conditioning.

I assume a good chunk of the time will be allocated to socially distanced weight lifting and going over the play book when they aren't in the film room.

I don't disagree, but are we supposed to believe the doctors said games are not safe but practice is? I doubt that. That's why I'm not getting the Big 10's logic here. If you decide to shut it down, then shut it down.

Reactions: huntered
I lost the link, but I thought Alvarez was quoted as 8 hours of film study and 12 hours of coach assisted walk thrus/conditioning.

I assume a good chunk of the time will be allocated to socially distanced weight lifting and going over the play book when they aren't in the film room.
:rolleyes:

Reactions: jflores
are the gyms and workout centers locked up at all the big 10 campuses? isn't it possible for any student that seriously works out to get myocarditis? are we providing EKG's for everyone? what would the public health covid experts say? where do we just draw the line and move forward like human kind has always done?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
In the mind of the coward Kevin Warren, playing fall sports is like that employee of yours you really want fired but don't have a paper trail or severe enough violation to give HR. Yhe heart condition is the best he could come up with.

EXCELLENT post sir.....100% on the money......so very, very true.

EXCELLENT post sir.....100% on the money......so very, very true.

You do know the local public health officials in Nebraska cleared NU to play. Hence we are fighting to actually hold the games. The political appointees did their job in this case. The conspiracy stuff only goes so far in the face of the facts.

Bingo. They're doing risk management, it's the same reason you almost never see a high dive at a public pool any more when they all used to have them. The dudes who weigh the $ and the butts on the line said you don't wanna be the one in that chair if it goes badly.

You do know the local public health officials in Nebraska cleared NU to play. Hence we are fighting to actually hold the games. The political appointees did their job in this case. The conspiracy stuff only goes so far in the face of the facts.

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule. However, for the vast majority of them.....dinglefritz nailed it.

are the gyms and workout centers locked up at all the big 10 campuses? isn't it possible for any student that seriously works out to get myocarditis? are we providing EKG's for everyone? what would the public health covid experts say? where do we just draw the line and move forward like human kind has always done?
Yep. Warren said "there were just too many uncertainties to feel comfortable from a medical standpoint to move forward" in response to shutting down the season. Ok then, well that means he MUST have the answers for things that AREN'T shutting down then, right?!... B1G hypocrites. Again, whether to play or not to play is a different topic, I'm just blown away by how they're handling the decision-making.

I think we’re all patientlY waiting for Kevin to announce his son is sitting out the year at Mississippi State. If he doesn’t, the word hypocrite will be tossed around nonstop. And I will start the tossing.
Kevin didn't vote. League presidents did. He hasn't been super stellar during this (helluva time to be a 1st year commissioner), but I think you're putting too much blame on him.

There are 10 colleges that play college football in Nebraska. Heading into yesterday, only one of them was slated to play anything resembling a normal schedule. There might be a reason.

I've said this many times.....none of us were privy to the info, and none of us are ultimately accountable for the decisions being made. Pretty easy for us to yap from the cheap seats.

Watch what happens on this board....if the B1G decision turns out to be the wrong one, there will be a lot more "I told you so" comments than you'll see from people acknowledging it was the right decision if that turns out to be the case.

Last edited:
I mean somewhat true. But the fine folks at UNMC are under no threat of being fired. And for us, they are a good bulk of the relevant public health officials in question.
UNMC is not who they consulted to determine whether or not to cancel the season. They publicly stated that they consulted with public health officials from the "footprint states". The UNMC is not a "public health official". They are a teaching medical center institution. They set up the guidelines by which they thought we could safely play. I might add that all B!G schools were following those guidelines. So why cancel the season now? Politics and fear.

The public health official in the state of Pennsylvania pulled her mother from a nursing home as she ordered the nursing homes to accept COVID patients......

Bingo. They're doing risk management, it's the same reason you almost never see a high dive at a public pool any more when they all used to have them. The dudes who weigh the $ and the butts on the line said you don't wanna be the one in that chair if it goes badly.
Zero risk is the only risk that would be acceptable to most appointed public health officials. That's not how the real world operates. AGAIN, IF we are going to use that model then football is done forever.

The part we're ignoring is the logistical nightmare of how games should/should not proceed if a bunch of teams get outbreaks mid season. The list of questions is basically neverending and the list of answers is much shorter.

Zero risk is the only risk that would be acceptable to most appointed public health officials. That's not how the real world operates. AGAIN, IF we are going to use that model then football is done forever.
Football as we once knew it already is done. Watching old games makes that pretty clear, it ain't the same game they're playing today. What happens to the talent and participation levels long term knowing what parents do now about concussions? We shall see.

The business model of FBS football also feels like it's living on borrowed time.

So while I get what you're saying, there's nothing sacred or untouchable about football. It's been touched quite a lot of late.

Football as we once knew it already is done. Watching old games makes that pretty clear, it ain't the same game they're playing today. What happens to the talent and participation levels long term knowing what parents do now about concussions? We shall see.

The business model of FBS football also feels like it's living on borrowed time.

So while I get what you're saying, there's nothing sacred or untouchable about football. It's been touched quite a lot of late.
Some things have changed no doubt. We've never shut down football for the flu though and this is no worse for college aged kids than the flu. Not one word was said about myocarditis in young people from the flu yet hundreds if not thousands of them suffer it from the flu every year. This sequela is nothing new and now the fear of the "unknown long term consequences" is a reason to stop the season.

We know the short and long term effects of concussions, yet we allow football. We know the short and long term effects of multiple knee, back, shoulder, ankle injuries, yet we allow football. We know that every year a handful of kids will suffer catastrophic, life altering injuries or death, yet we allow football. Josh Jones at Creighton got a common cold in HS and ended up with a pig's valve in his heart. A kid from my hometown got a common cold back in the 80s and wound up with a heart transplant when the cold virus got to his heart somehow. Its an unfortunate fact of living life that things happen. Yet we shut down college football because someone maybe some day might possibly have some lingering health effect from catching COVID (or not)? Ridiculous and not at all consistent with every other health decision related to football. If it were, football would have been abolished years ago.

You shouldn't get it because there is no logic.

Some things have changed no doubt. We've never shut down football for the flu though and this is no worse for college aged kids than the flu. Not one word was said about myocarditis in young people from the flu yet hundreds if not thousands of them suffer it from the flu every year. This sequela is nothing new and now the fear of the "unknown long term consequences" is a reason to stop the season.
The ship has long since sailed on treating this like the flu.

We know the short and long term effects of concussions, yet we allow football. We know the short and long term effects of multiple knee, back, shoulder, ankle injuries, yet we allow football. We know that every year a handful of kids will suffer catastrophic, life altering injuries or death, yet we allow football. Josh Jones at Creighton got a common cold in HS and ended up with a pig's valve in his heart. A kid from my hometown got a common cold back in the 80s and wound up with a heart transplant when the cold virus got to his heart somehow. Its an unfortunate fact of living life that things happen. Yet we shut down college football because someone maybe some day might possibly have some lingering health effect from catching COVID (or not)? Ridiculous and not at all consistent with every other health decision related to football. If it were, football would have been abolished years ago.
Sorta my point. I think major football learned their lesson about trying to pretend they didn't know concussions were a big deal. It cost them a LOT of money. Hell have the lawsuits all been settled at this point?

We've seen changes to the game around that. Throw on an old game from the 80s or 90s and watch how QBs and WRs get lit up late on a "because I can" hit. Stuff you'd get ejected for today and suspended the next game.

We saw the blow-up at Iowa over those kids getting rhabdo. There have been big changes in the way fall camps are done based on dudes getting heat exhaustion. Does NU even do two-a-days any more?

If in 5 years this thing is still around and there's not a vaccine that pretty much guarantees you don't catch it, we'll be in a time where every dude on a roster understands that's a risk and signed up to be part of that. We're not there yet.

Look at the nba and how close the players are to each other. Just makes no sense in shutting football down. I think the big 10 blew it big time, they could have gotten a Committee assembled in March when everything was being shut down, how they’ll deal with covid in the event nothing had changed come August 1. And it’s amazing to me that most of the big 10 coaches just bent over and took it right in the ass without speaking out wanting to play football. Oh but we’re getting millions of dollars and our freaking trophy games with still be around when football resumes.

Look at the nba and how close the players are to each other. Just makes no sense in shutting football down. I think the big 10 blew it big time, they could have gotten a Committee assembled in March when everything was being shut down, how they’ll deal with covid in the event nothing had changed come August 1. And it’s amazing to me that most of the big 10 coaches just bent over and took it right in the ass without speaking out wanting to play football. Oh but we’re getting millions of dollars and our freaking trophy games with still be around when football resumes.
Have you heard anything about what the NBA has done with their restrictions? There's a reason everyone is calling it "the bubble."

no bubble, apparently very little problem so far for the NFL.
nor would there be for the B1G. This is mostly hype and fear. Of all the pro BBall, NFL and Baseball players (who are in higher risk group) who have tested positive, how many have had a serious problem with this? One older O lineman maybe? All of them I'm aware of have been back working out or playing within 2 weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT