ADVERTISEMENT

The Line

Huskerk19

Walk On
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2015
Anyone else concerned that our line coach will once again key on 5 guys and we develop no depth behind them? It looks like we have some solid studs on board now and I am worried Mr C will not capitalize on it.

We had 9 available scholarship OL last year (not including the 4 who redshirted), including Foster who was out until late in the season. No, I'm not concerned....yet.

Who would you have liked to see get playing time last year?

From what I can tell these player all got significant minutes last season:

Gates, Foster, Utter, Farmer, Knevel, Conrad, Hahn, Whitaker. That is eight players that played a lot. Unfortunately, many were Seniors. But the idea that only five players played is ridiculous.

In the only game of the season that was a blowout (Wyoming), Barnett, Johnson, Jr and Decker also logged minutes.

Who would else would you have like to see get minutes? And when?

Gates, Foster, Utter, Farmer, Knevel, Conrad, Hahn, Whitaker. That is eight players that played a lot. Unfortunately, many were Seniors. But the idea that only five players played is ridiculous.

In the only game of the season that was a blowout (Wyoming), Barnett, Johnson, Jr and Decker also logged minutes.

This will seem fitting:

Anyone else concerned that our line coach will once again key on 5 guys and we develop no depth behind them? It looks like we have some solid studs on board now and I am worried Mr C will not capitalize on it.

I'll take the bait and say I am concerned. Until it happens and until Cav has proven himself @ NU, O-line will be a concern. How can it not be? Units that do well & coaches that coach well don't receive the level of criticism that the O-line & Cav have had. Lots of excuses of why it hasn't worked but not a lot of support to show Cav's coaching is working. But there is hope.

One thing we know is that Riley wants rotation at O-line. He stated when he was first hired here, his dream has always been to have 10 guys on the O-line good enough to play. So we know he wants rotation. If he thinks Cav is neglecting it or that Cav can't handle it, Cav will be dealt with accordingly. That I have 100% faith in.

It's the same story on this board for all poor coaching. After year 1, 20% of us showed concern. We were shot down by the majority and classified as trolls or evil people. After year 2, the number jumped to 50% that showed concern, and the supporters of Cav's coaching chalk it to excuses. If it doesn't happen this year, it will go to 80% and that last 30% that jump on the concern board will be nasty about it and will make things personal against Coach Cav. Those people will be way worse than any of us that showed concern from day 1. I don't hate the man. I just do not think he's a great coach. And there is a part of me that hopes he leaves so that he doesn't have this continued negativity in his life. Cause it wont get better if he does not get better.

I've been on this board long enough to say I saw it with BC, Coz, Bo, Barney, Banker, Reed, & now Miles. Hope it doesn't come to that with Cav. He's a good dude. But if he isn't good enough to coach at a school with demands like Nebraska, so be it. Next man up, please. It's not personal. I just hate the excuses. Everyone has injuries. A ton of teams are thin at O-line and a lot of them may due, much better than NU did last year.

When ever, I hear excuses on this board, I think of Tom Osborne from the 1994 team screaming "no excuses"

I'll take the bait and say I am concerned. Until it happens and until Cav has proven himself @ NU, O-line will be a concern. How can it not be? Units that do well & coaches that coach well don't receive the level of criticism that the O-line & Cav have had. Lots of excuses of why it hasn't worked but not a lot of support to show Cav's coaching is working. But there is hope.

One thing we know is that Riley wants rotation at O-line. He stated when he was first hired here, his dream has always been to have 10 guys on the O-line good enough to play. So we know he wants rotation. If he thinks Cav is neglecting it or that Cav can't handle it, Cav will be dealt with accordingly. That I have 100% faith in.

It's the same story on this board for all poor coaching. After year 1, 20% of us showed concern. We were shot down by the majority and classified as trolls or evil people. After year 2, the number jumped to 50% that showed concern, and the supporters of Cav's coaching chalk it to excuses. If it doesn't happen this year, it will go to 80% and that last 30% that jump on the concern board will be nasty about it and will make things personal against Coach Cav. Those people will be way worse than any of us that showed concern from day 1. I don't hate the man. I just do not think he's a great coach. And there is a part of me that hopes he leaves so that he doesn't have this continued negativity in his life. Cause it wont get better if he does not get better.

I've been on this board long enough to say I saw it with BC, Coz, Bo, Barney, Banker, Reed, & now Miles. Hope it doesn't come to that with Cav. He's a good dude. But if he isn't good enough to coach at a school with demands like Nebraska, so be it. Next man up, please. It's not personal. I just hate the excuses. Everyone has injuries. A ton of teams are thin at O-line and a lot of them may due, much better than NU did last year.

When ever, I hear excuses on this board, I think of Tom Osborne from the 1994 team screaming "no excuses"

1st, saying 10 lineman that can play doesn't mean playing them all. And B, wth are your percentages? Did you just pull random numbers our of your butt? And then state them like facts? And if we are at 80% after next year, how is there 30% left?

In closing, you confuse me.

10 that can play does not equal a rotation necessarily.

I agree. I take that statement as, 'it would be really great to not have to play two walk-ons and a two star if a guys got hurt.' Unfortunately, that is the position we were in last year.

So let's see. Cav has coached for Riley for 13 years. He never rotates, but Riley wants him to. Cav better get on the same page or he's gonna get his ass fired. If not Riley, the message board warriors might just get him ousted themselves. Hope somebody warns him, cause he seems like a good guy.

Reactions: timnsun
If Cav puts a group out there that performs and wins the line of scrimmage in the 4th quarter, nobody is gonna give a crap how many guys get snaps in games. Problem is, he hasn't done that, even to the level of the great Barney Cotton, so fans are gonna look for everything they can to nitpick.

If Cav puts a group out there that performs and wins the line of scrimmage in the 4th quarter, nobody is gonna give a crap how many guys get snaps in games. Problem is, he hasn't done that, even to the level of the great Barney Cotton, so fans are gonna look for everything they can to nitpick.
If it isn't the line its the QB.
If it isn't the QB its the receivers.
If it isn't the receivers its the defense.
If it isn't the defense its that damn waterboy.

Reactions: Huskerk19
You know that if they did rotate on the line, the first time a drive stalls with backup linemen and momentum shifts, the same people will be here asking why [first string lineman] was on the sideline.

Folks are always going to question every move that is made.

Hey I am not trying to pick a battle with anyone as the tone of some of you guys suggest I just wanted to have an adult conversation with open minded folks. Hard to do that on any of the boards as folks always have to come across like you are an idiot when you express an opinion.

They seem to stay with 5 until someone is hurt then they move folks in. As far as who I really don't give a damn as Mr C knows who can do what on the field, my only concern is relevant playing time before a guy is tossed in for an injury.

If it isn't the line its the QB.
If it isn't the QB its the receivers.
If it isn't the receivers its the defense.
If it isn't the defense its that damn waterboy.

Games have been won and lost by not rotating the waterboy! :)

Hey I am not trying to pick a battle with anyone as the tone of some of you guys suggest I just wanted to have an adult conversation with open minded folks. Hard to do that on any of the boards as folks always have to come across like you are an idiot when you express an opinion.

They seem to stay with 5 until someone is hurt then they move folks in. As far as who I really don't give a damn as Mr C knows who can do what on the field, my only concern is relevant playing time before a guy is tossed in for an injury.

I am trying for the same conversation. I my question was honest and I supported an opposing opinion with some facts. I will ask again, who would you have like to have been rotated in last season?

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

That's because this is far from the first time this conversation has happened. Sounds like you have missed all the rest, but it's not a surprise to me that there is vitriol in this thread. 2 sides here... 1) give the guy a chance now hat he has some depth and talent in the position, and 2) injuries are not an excuse!

The line in the sand has been drawn several months ago, and we don't have a way to say for sure if Cav sucks or if the depleted depth and talent are the reason. We will find out soon enough.

Let's try and be honest for once. Everyone wants to see "rotation". What that actually means is blowouts in alot of games so the backups get to play in decided games.

There, I fixed it.

Let's try and be honest for once. Everyone wants to see "rotation". What that actually means is blowouts in alot of games so the backups get to play in decided games.

There, I fixed it.

Ohhh boy, isn't that a switch being honest for once from yours truly.:rolleyes:

I would love to see Nebraska get a large enough lead in a game where Coach Cav will have to rotate his players based on the score. Those were the days. Winking

If they win a conference title. Why question their moves, you would just look like an idiot.

When you lose to Purdue, Illinois or can't beat Iowa.

Hell yeah we are going to question you. It's not rocket science on why people are questioning things.

We aren't the only team recruiting these players. Lesser talented teams on paper, have put together better offense and defensive lines than we have.

Last edited:
Why is it ridiculous?
So many of our fans like to act like rotating the OL is a must to be successful and everyone is doing it. This has kind of taken on a life of its own. The truth is, we started it when we went up tempo under Beck and those are the teams that rotate most, up tempo teams. Milt has even said he didn't rotate linemen very much in his day. If we had a ton of quality depth that would be one thing, but rotating just to rotate is silly. No one seems to complain about other positions rotating very little, but many are fixated on this "OL must rotate" narrative.

Last edited:
Sorry call as I see them. Mr dish it out but can't take it.

A Leopard never changes his strips.

Chicken strips? Why would a spotted leopard change its strips?

If they win a conference title. Why question their moves, you would just look like an idiot.

When you lose to Purdue, Illinois or can't beat Iowa.

Hell yeah we are going to question you. It's not rocket science on why people are questioning things.

So we are now going back to losses from 2 years ago? Cmon Jeans.

Sorry call as I see them. Mr dish it out but can't take it.

A Leopard never changes his strips.
Especially a leopard that cries about the meanie on the message board, and can't follow simple instructions to ignore a poster. You would think in all the decades you have been alive, you would have developed some common sense.
But unfortunately you have as much sense as you do writing ability (barely any).

So let's see. Cav has coached for Riley for 13 years. He never rotates, but Riley wants him to. Cav better get on the same page or he's gonna get his ass fired. If not Riley, the message board warriors might just get him ousted themselves. Hope somebody warns him, cause he seems like a good guy.
Same was said for Banker and Reed. It's a different ball game in Lincoln then it was in Oregon. If you don't see that, welcome to reality. This is Mike's last push and he's not letting buddies hold him back.

Especially a leopard that cries about the meanie on the message board, and can't follow simple instructions to ignore a poster. You would think in all the decades you have been alive, you would have developed some common sense.
But unfortunately you have as much sense as you do writing ability (barely any).

Works both ways pot meet kettle... U should practice what you preach.

At least I don't have Napoleon Syndrome.

Cav he doesn't even look the part. He should be driving a school bus. Wasn't good at the previous school why would it be different here.

Reactions: Agegoneby
1st, saying 10 lineman that can play doesn't mean playing them all. And B, wth are your percentages? Did you just pull random numbers our of your butt? And then state them like facts? And if we are at 80% after next year, how is there 30% left?

In closing, you confuse me.
He actually stated his dream was to rotate 10 lineman. He later added it's never happened in his career But it's his dream.

Secondly, I stated it goes from "50% to 80%, and that last 30% jumps on the concern board" Meaning 80% is when the change finally comes. 30% comes from 80% minus 50%. It's simple math. You dont even need to carry a one... If your still confused, It never goes to 100% concern (except maybe in Coz's case). , There is always some who will never admit a change needs to be made. And that's for many reasons. Some don't like change. Some don't like to admit their wrong about their previous positions. Some actually still believe in the coach. Hell you can find people who think BC would have been great here had he fired Coz. Obviously you can find people who still think Bo's the greatest. And I know many who believe Frank got a raw deal. 100% will never be on boad (Well except for Coz). Even if Cav sucks for 2 more years, some people will find an excuse.

3rd- obviously the numbers were just hypothetical & wild ass estimates to just make my point. This is a message board not an article in the New York Times. Welcome to the internet. Not everything stated here is fact.

If you have something to offer on the OP, please do. I'd love to hear some support for Cav other than excuses that really do not support him as a coach. Or is your MO just to take some posts and try to "fact check" or discredit the post but all the time just basically trolling cause you, yourself are not discussing anything really.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Cav he doesn't even look the part. He should be driving a school bus. Wasn't good at the previous school why would it be different here.
While I laughed at the bus driver comment, there are 3 Oregon state O linemen set to be drafted this year, 5 other Olinemen in the league currently that Cav coached. Nebraska has 7 currently in the NFL. Let me guess, the 3 to be drafted this year probably benefitted from a coaching change huh?

So many of our fans like to act like rotating the OL is a must to be successful and everyone is doing it. This has kind of taken on a life of its own. The truth is, we started it when we went up tempo under Beck and those are the teams that rotate most, up tempo teams. Milt has even said he didn't rotate linemen very much in his day. If we had a ton of quality depth that would be one thing, but rotating just to rotate is silly. No one seems to complain about other positions rotating very little, but many are fixated on this "OL must rotate" narrative.

I am not of the opinion they need to have 10 guys and rotate them every other series at all. We are not Bama or OSU where the studs are lined up 3 deep. My thoughts are a series here and there to help keep the guys fresh and let the 2nds gain experience under fire. As far as who do I want to see rotate, not my call as I simply do not know. Hell I may be all wrong and going with 5 until they break is the way to go, just seems like a lot of guys get tossed into the fire that way.

Same was said for Banker and Reed. It's a different ball game in Lincoln then it was in Oregon. If you don't see that, welcome to reality. This is Mike's last push and he's not letting buddies hold him back.

That's priceless. You really think if Riley really wanted to rotate lineman he wouldn't have forced Cav to do it or shown him the door by now? Can you provide any facts indicating that its important to Riley to rotate lineman. I'll be waiting Mr. Reality.

Here's a Riley quote from 10/24/15 Sam McKewon article:

"We have historically allowed the line to get in a rhythm and play together," Riley said. "We haven't brought guys in and out. That's kind of been historically what we've done with our players right now."

Last edited:
How do these memes start? Anyone remember the good old zone blocking vs. man blocking garbage that people used to spew on here? Threads like this are almost as bad.

Practice is for developing players. Games are for winning.

And how has that winning worked out the past couple of years? Don't take that the wrong way I am behind Riley and like what I see taking place, I like it a lot! Hell maybe going with 5 is the answer, I don't know.

How do these memes start? Anyone remember the good old zone blocking vs. man blocking garbage that people used to spew on here? Threads like this are almost as bad.

Someone asks a question looking for a good conversation on a topic that may be important to them. Then the know it all's jump in and start hammering away because they can be internet tough guys and it is easy to hide behind a keyboard and slam folks. What happened to good old fashion conversations with folks of like interest that didn't have to involve people who think they have to be asshats?

Someone asks a question looking for a good conversation on a topic that may be important to them. Then the know it all's jump in and start hammering away because they can be internet tough guys and it is easy to hide behind a keyboard and slam folks. What happened to good old fashion conversations with folks of like interest that didn't have to involve people who think they have to be asshats?

Then let's have the conversation. Who would you have liked to have been in the rotation last year that wasn't? Which players specifically did you want to see action that didn't?

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Then let's have the conversation. Who would you have liked to have been in the rotation last year that wasn't? Which players specifically did you want to see action that didn't?
I know your question wasn't to me, but I thought I would point out that Cav did say in the first season that the gap between the 1's and 2's was pretty big and that he would consider rotating if a position was very close. If that is still the case, I could see guys like Wilson, Raridon and Farniok getting some PT this year, if they don't win starting spots.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I care more about Cav playing the best give instead of him only playing a 5 man rotation. Since he has been here, there have been some questionable personnel moves:

Waiting until week 6 of 2015 before officially benching Chongo when Sterup was a much better run blocker and healthy by week 4.

Playing Utter in front of Thurston or Sterup at guard in 2015.

Playing Hahn in front Whittaker in 2016.
Handing the center job to Utter prior to 2016 and letting Thurston walk.

Not playing Decker in 2016 when Utter's effort level started matching his talent.

Playing the best five is not really the issue.

ADVERTISEMENT