ADVERTISEMENT

The CFP should go to eight.

HuskerDana

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 14, 2007
I know I am not introducing some unique idea when I say this, but the NCAA needs to get this done.

Have all five P5 Conference champions, 2 at large, and one automatic qualifier from the G5 (highest rated). Everybody loves Cinderella....with that, you get one every year.....

I know I am not introducing some unique idea when I say this, but the NCAA needs to get this done.

Have all five P5 Conference champions, 2 at large, and one automatic qualifier from the G5 (highest rated). Everybody loves Cinderella....with that, you get one every year.....
Sorry but I disagree with that. It would dilute the importance of the regular season and promote teams who play weak competition

I’m to the point I’d like to see the same format as the FCS. I think the ratings would be unreal.

I’m to the point I’d like to see the same format as the FCS. I think the ratings would be unreal.

I'd have to disagree that would take another month too play out...

Teams are beat up now entering their conference title games which are playoff games..

8 would be more ideal.

Reactions: BigRedLegion
there was talk not too far back of the power 5 conferences pulling out of the NCAA and forming their own association with the eventual formation of 4 super conferences (BIG 12 gets swallowed up) - 4 conferences with 16-18 schools each with a 16 team playoff at the end

You could do this without adding any games. You only play conference games in your own division until the last (12th) game.
The schedules would be balanced without cross division games skewing things. Top 2 teams in each division qualify.

Round 1 would be a teams 12th game with the winner of one division hosting the 2nd place team from the other division.
Using the Big - PSU would be at Wisconsin and NW would be at OSU.
The other conference teams would play a meaningless cross divisional game as their 12th game.

Round 2 would be the conf championship games as they currently have

Round 3 - consists of the 4 conf champions

Round 4 - national championship game

this format doesn't add any games to what we already have.
It wouldn't leave anyone out - but surely would include some undeserving schools - NW for instance. In a 4 conference scenario you would have OU/OSU/TCU in there as well so NW probably wouldn't be in the mix.

It would surely dilute the regular season - but you might have some March madness type excitement and an occasional cinderella make a run

Last edited:
I want 6 teams. Each P5 champion, plus one independent or G5 team. Top 2 get a bye. Eff at larges. Win your conference

I like the idea but having the top 2 having a bye would cause more controversy. The argument over #2#3 would be very controversial.

Reactions: saluno22

Agree, I think it will get there.

Reactions: HuskerDana

Should have started with 8. I root for chaos every year, would love to see 3 P5's left out of the CFP and force the hand.

Reactions: BigRedLegion
You will change your mind when you realize that a 1 loss Nebraska team has no shot at the playoffs just like a 1 loss Miami or Wisconsin team.
Teams play in P5 conferences have every opportunity to go. Wisconsin would go if they had 1 loss and were big10 champs. However should they go if they lose against OSU no probably not.

No system however is going to be completely fair to everyone and going to 8 teams does not change that one bit

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
I agree.

Signed 2015 Iowa Hawkeyes
DOOOOONT CAAAAARE
jay-cutler_medium.jpg

You will change your mind when you realize that a 1 loss Nebraska team has no shot at the playoffs just like a 1 loss Miami or Wisconsin team.

Schedule better games in your out of conference if you want to get in with one loss. Ask Alabama... oh wait...

Alabama's schedule was weak. This year, the SEC was not what it once was. It was not some "amazing gauntlet" that only the best teams in the country could win in.

In out of conference play, Bama played a soon-to-be 6-6 FSU team, a 5-6 FCS Mercer team, a 7-5 CSU team, and a 9-3 Fresno St team that was beat worse by Washington.

Bama played the 2 worst teams in the SEC East this year, 4-8 Tennessee and 5-7 Vanderbilt. Alabama should not be ranked in the top 5 by any means except the eye test and their recent history.

ESPN tends to forget that the SEC only plays 8 conference games, while the other P5 schools all play 9 games.

To be the same, the SEC should require their schools to play at least 2 P5 out of conference schools. Then the G5 schools should require their schools to play all but one out of conference game against P5 schools.

SEC Out of conference games: (FCS in bold, P5 (and BYU) in Italic)
Alabama - FCS Mercer, CSU, Fresno St, FSU
Georgia - FCS Samford, App St, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech
Auburn - FCS Mercer, GASO, ULM, and Clemson
LSU - FCS Chattanooga, BYU, Troy, Syracuse
MSU - FCS Charleston Southern, Louis Tech, BYU, UMass
South Carolina - FCS Wafford, Louis Tech, NC ST, Clemson
TA&M - FCS Nicholls, ULL, New Mexico, UCLA
Kentucky - FCS Eastern Kent, Southern Miss, Eastern Mich, Louisville
Missouri - FCS Missouri St, Idaho, Connecticut, Purdue
Florida - FCS Northern Colorado, UAB, FSU, Michigan
Vanderbilt - FCS Alabama A&M, Mid Tenn, Western Kent, Kansas St
UTenn - FCS Indiana St, Southern Miss, UMass, Georgia Tech
Ole Miss - FCS UT Martin, USA, ULL, California
Arkansas - FCS Florida A&M, Coastal Carolina, New Mex St, TCU

Not impressive at all! Pretty lame actually...

The SEC went 6-6 in their bowl games last year. What makes the playoff committee, AP pollsters, and coaches think that Geogia, Alabama, and Auburn are any better than Miami, Ohio St, Penn St, TCU, USC, Washington and UCF?
From looking at their 2017 schedules, only their recent history and the eye test. Not much else!

Wisconsin - Utah St, FAU, BYU (Note only 3 teams and no FCS teams)

How is Wisconsin's schedule worse than Alabama's?
BYU and FSU suck this year. Fresno St and FAU are similar. CSU and Utah St were similar. Bama played an FCS team.

Signed: SEC Hater :Cool::D

Last edited:
Sorry but I disagree with that. It would dilute the importance of the regular season and promote teams who play weak competition
Lets say Alabama still gets in this year, then that means last nights game against Auburn did not mean anything therefore the "every game matters" is nothing but bs.

App State has been a FBS team for several years and plays in the Sun Belt.

Fixed! Thanks.

I had to click on the others to see who they were and I assumed I knew about App St. They were FCS when they upset Michigan, but moved up later around 2013 I see. Either I forgot or never knew.

Reactions: cidsports
Schedule better games in your out of conference if you want to get in with one loss. Ask Alabama... oh wait...

Alabama's schedule was weak. This year, the SEC was not what it once was. It was not some "amazing gauntlet" that only the best teams in the country could win in.

In out of conference play, Bama played a soon-to-be 6-6 FSU team, a 5-6 FCS Mercer team, a 7-5 CSU team, and a 9-3 Fresno St team that was beat worse by Washington.

Bama played the 2 worst teams in the SEC East this year, 4-8 Tennessee and 5-7 Vanderbilt. Alabama should not be ranked in the top 5 by any means except the eye test and their recent history.

ESPN tends to forget that the SEC only plays 8 conference games, while the other P5 schools all play 9 games.

To be the same, the SEC should require their schools to play at least 2 P5 out of conference schools. Then the G5 schools should require their schools to play all but one out of conference game against P5 schools.

SEC Out of conference games: (FCS in bold, P5 (and BYU) in Italic)
Alabama - FCS Mercer, CSU, Fresno St, FSU
Georgia - FCS Samford, App St, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech
Auburn - FCS Mercer, GASO, ULM, and Clemson
LSU - FCS Chattanooga, BYU, Troy, Syracuse
MSU - FCS Charleston Southern, Louis Tech, BYU, UMass
South Carolina - FCS Wafford, Louis Tech, NC ST, Clemson
TA&M - FCS Nicholls, ULL, New Mexico, UCLA
Kentucky - FCS Eastern Kent, Southern Miss, Eastern Mich, Louisville
Missouri - FCS Missouri St, Idaho, Connecticut, Purdue
Florida - FCS Northern Colorado, UAB, FSU, Michigan
Vanderbilt - FCS Alabama A&M, Mid Tenn, Western Kent, Kansas St
UTenn - FCS Indiana St, Southern Miss, UMass, Georgia Tech
Ole Miss - FCS UT Martin, USA, ULL, California
Arkansas - FCS Florida A&M, Coastal Carolina, New Mex St, TCU

Not impressive at all! Pretty lame actually...

The SEC went 6-6 in their bowl games last year. What makes the playoff committee, AP pollsters, and coaches think that Geogia, Alabama, and Auburn are any better than Miami, Ohio St, Penn St, TCU, USC, Washington and UCF?
From looking at their 2017 schedules, only their recent history and the eye test. Not much else!

Wisconsin - Utah St, FAU, BYU (Note only 3 teams and no FCS teams)

How is Wisconsin's schedule worse than Alabama's?
BYU and FSU suck this year. Fresno St and FAU are similar. CSU and Utah St were similar. Bama played an FCS team.

Signed: SEC Hater :Cool::D

bama at least played fsu with their qb and let's be real...fsu with blackmon would pound the hell out of byu.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
bama at least played fsu with their qb and let's be real...fsu with blackmon would pound the hell out of byu.

Very true.

I am surprised at how much the FSU D sucks though this year when they were supposed to be a great D... well, I guess when your offense sucks it makes your defense look even worse...

Teams play in P5 conferences have every opportunity to go. Wisconsin would go if they had 1 loss and were big10 champs. However should they go if they lose against OSU no probably not.

No system however is going to be completely fair to everyone and going to 8 teams does not change that one bit

While I don't disagree that going from 4 to 8 teams will still not completely make the playoff system fair, I disagree that an eight team playoff including the best G5 school available would not be a better scenario. I also think that two at large bids would give a couple of teams that may have lost in their conference title game....or just missed getting into it because of a great schedule a shot. And yes, strength of schedule should play a major factor for the G5 team and the two at larges.

Very true.

I am surprised at how much the FSU D sucks though this year when they were supposed to be a great D... well, I guess when your offense sucks it makes your defense look even worse...

i picked them to win the title......not even close even if they had francois

I think every team should have an objective path to a championship. So to that effect, the playoff needs to expand to include at least all conference champions.

That being said, the P5 just needs to break off and do their own thing. They practically do now in the current arrangement. IMO the CFP committee format gave the P5 a greater stranglehold on the championship process than in the BCS. At least in the BCS there was a "computer" component that kept some of the process in check. The committee can essentially make whatever criteria they want. Sure, they can say they place greater value on certain metrics than others, but that seems to change from year to year to "improve the process", sometimes changing over the course of the season (see TCU/Baylor a couple years ago).

Further, the committee stating strength of schedule is of greater significance all but means P5 schools won't schedule multiple and/or quality G5 opponents as a method of blocking G5 schools from serious CFP contention. P5 schools can say they need a balanced schedule and get quality opponents in conference. G5 schools only have 3-4 non-conference slots to play P5 teams, plus a challenge in conference against teams that may be relatively inferior in quality relative to the P5 schools, but have invaluable familiarity with the G5 team trying to make a CFP run by playing them each year.

Bottom line: CFP needs to expand or P5 needs to break off.

Won't happen. They'd be forgoing millions of dollars in bowl licensing fees.

The logistics and financial arrangements would be a mess, too. Add another round, and you almost have to use campus sites in the quarterfinals. Who gets to host? How is that determined? Who sets the ticket price? Who gets what cut of the gate? In-stadium commercials and sponsors?

Edit: I realize this contradicts half of my previous post saying the CFP needs to expand. I think the P5 should just formally break off.

There already have been playoff games and there will be more playoff games this weekend. Auburn beat Alabama, UCF beat USF and Miami got beat by Pitt. This weekend USC plays Stanford, Sooners vs TCU, Auburn vs Georgia, Clemson will play Miami and Ohio State play Wisconsin. All these games could have an effect on the Final 4 teams.

There have been playoff games and there will be more playoff games this weekend. Auburn beat Alabama, UCF beat USF and Miami got beat by Pitt. This weekend USC plays Stanford, Sooners vs TCU, Auburn vs Georgia, Clemson will play Miami and Ohio State play Wisconsin.

Won't happen. They'd be forgoing millions of dollars in bowl licensing fees.

The logistics and financial arrangements would be a mess, too. Add another round, and you almost have to use campus sites in the quarterfinals. Who gets to host? How is that determined? Who sets the ticket price? Who gets what cut of the gate? In-stadium commercials and sponsors?

Edit: I realize this contradicts half of my previous post saying the CFP needs to expand. I think the P5 should just formally break off.
In an 8 team playoff there would be 7 games. New Years 6. Plus a championship game. All major bowls stay in tact.

While I don't disagree that going from 4 to 8 teams will still not completely make the playoff system fair, I disagree that an eight team playoff including the best G5 school available would not be a better scenario. I also think that two at large bids would give a couple of teams that may have lost in their conference title game....or just missed getting into it because of a great schedule a shot. And yes, strength of schedule should play a major factor for the G5 team and the two at larges.
Exactly

CFB and the NFL DO NOT need more games. Same with the NBA. The quality of play is not enhanced by more quantity.

I like the idea of more teams in a CFB playoff, but not more games, in the aggregate. Just too hard on these kids.

In an 8 team playoff there would be 7 games. New Years 6. Plus a championship game. All major bowls stay in tact.
I get that. But they'd be spread out across three rounds and four of those "bowls" would have to concede and play second fiddle as first-round sites. Plus all teams would have to travel for each game, which will hurt quality of play at some point depending on time between games.

The economics will work out with sponsorships and bureaucratic logistics to have neutral site games for each round. But if there are routinely empty seats in the first round, I'm betting there would be a move for campus sites in the first round similar to what happened in volleyball with regionals (moving away from fixed sites like basketball and having the highest remaining team host). The difference from volleyball is for football the tickets will likely be sold out for the first round neutral site games, the question driving a move for campus sites will be how bad the purchased but unused tickets will look on TV.

How do you figure, if you win your CONFERENCE YOU ARE IN! It wouldn't matter who you play non conference. Hell you could go 0-3 and win your conference and still play in the playoffs!
It would make the regular season that much more important.

Well that point has been made every year since the playoff was started. And the response back is that it would lengthen the season too much. It's the same story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT