ADVERTISEMENT

The beauty od Husker Chalk Talk again

I either meant "of" in the topic line or I spelled "odd" wrong. You can decide. ;)

Seems like a great dude. Lots of assumptions being made though. That's all I'm going to say.

The breakdown of Duo is both interesting and infuriating. Watching how soft some of those guys play, once they've done a reasonable job of their assignment, some of them just stop and stand there. Like, "Good enough, my guy isn't gonna make a tackle in the first 1-2 seconds of the play, I'm done."

No killer mentality on that team at all.

This is almost depressing to watch. On the second play he shows where Tanner is getting rid of the ball, watch the O line - you won't see a single lineman make a good block, one half-hearted shoulder rub and a push. This was one of the biggest improvements I wanted to see this year - can our OL pick up stunts, twists, and blitzes.

I know everyone is screaming "run the darn ball" but the reality is we are not that good at it. Look beyond the yardage and you see a team that often gets stuffed on first down for no gain or even a loss. We are then behind the sticks. Teams are loading up to stop us and Tanner takes advantage by throwing on first down which I agree with. Riley/Langs obviously want to run the ball but we can't do it consistently. Teams know we can't consistently block twists, stunts and blitzes and do it to us all of the time and when we guess right and get a couple of blocks we get a nice gain but way too inconsistent.

The counter play that Wisky runs on our D is devastating. Why we can't even get lined up correctly is beyond me. We occasionally catch some teams in mismatches but we seem to consistently create them on our D. That was a total beat down. Our guys were getting buried all over the place. You could see the air come out of them and they weren't interested in taking on the RB with a full head of steam.

The film doesn't lie and I can't imagine film reviews are much fun for these guys.

Reactions: WHCSC
The alignment issues he talks about against power was something I noticed during the game. It wasn't just once, either.
And man did sedeick king look bad there. That's football 101...you gotta squeeze that. He comes way too far upfield...ugh. That doesn't matter if it's 3-4 or 4-3 or whatever.

I thought his defense of Tanner was awfully forgiving:
Lee finished at 50% on 16 of 32 passing and of course the now customary bizarre Pick 6, but that included three drops, two throwaways, and five balls that were perfectly on location but simply broken up by Wisconsin’s tight coverage. More often than not, on a variety of routes Lee threw the ball on location:"

I don't like to bust on the players, but when a defender breaks up a pass, that's because the qb is throwing into coverage. Yeah, some receivers you'll expect to come down with the jump balls, but that doesn't describe most of our short, fast receivers. And some of those passes were floating badly. He could have just as easily had more picks, rather than more receptions.

Reactions: oldjar07
few things stand out to me. on the first clip, look how bad Gates gets beat -- again. Also, the wingback swings out and has NO ONE covering him, but Tanner never looks his way. he is locked in on the left receiver from the snap. I have seen many times where a dump off pass to the blocking back would probably go for a lot of yards, but Tanner never looks it seems like (I realize he would have not had enough time in this clip because Gates got beat so bad).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT