ADVERTISEMENT

The 3 year plan is now 4

drubendall

Head Coach
Apr 18, 2004
Rhule thought he could get good enough QB play out of Sims or maybe Purdy as placeholders for 2 years, while developing a young star for a break out season in year 3. It only goes up from there.

He didn’t count on those two being a complete train full of dumpster fires. So in comes Haarburg to manufacture some wins. Not great, really, not up to the task. Does not have the right skill set.

Fast forward to today and the plan is entirely different. Roll out the phenom and take your licks along the way.

Indiana exposed us, and now our confidence is rocked. Hopefully they can get some traction and eek out two more wins.

Fans won’t be thrilled, but having the non bowl streak end will inject some life into the fans and the team.

Regardless, changes among some assistants are absolutely non negotiable.

Rhule thought he could get good enough QB play out of Sims or maybe Purdy as placeholders for 2 years, while developing a young star for a break out season in year 3. It only goes up from there.

He didn’t count on those two being a complete train full of dumpster fires. So in comes Haarburg to manufacture some wins. Not great, really, not up to the task. Does not have the right skill set.

Fast forward to today and the plan is entirely different. Roll out the phenom and take your licks along the way.

Indiana exposed us, and now our confidence is rocked. Hopefully they can get some traction and eek out two more wins.

Fans won’t be thrilled, but having the non bowl streak end will inject some life into the fans and the team.

I'm pretty sure the fans of "Rhule will get it done by year 3" is about the # of wins. Not the exact process of how it all comes together.

To me, Rhule will get it done by year 3, is still intact.

I think he is to old school. Relying on developing kids out of highh school with just a few portal guys sprinkled in. Meanwhile Cigs absolutely nails the transfer portal year one and is in beaten hosting Indians first ever game day and has a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

I think he is to old school. Relying on developing kids out of highh school with just a few portal guys sprinkled in. Meanwhile Cigs absolutely nails the transfer portal year one and is in beaten hosting Indians first ever game day and has a legitimate shot at the playoffs.
Which one will give you long term, sustainable success?

Maybe both?

Chubba Purdy’s last 2 games (starts) at Nebraska

30/52 (58%) 358 yards.
2 td. 2 int
147 yards rushing 1 TD

Raiola’s last 2 games
41/71 (58%) 368 yards
0 tds. 4 int
negative 43 yards rushing

Rhule’s prior MO was to play younger guys the first 2 yrs and by yr 3 they have developed and start winning. We have the most returning starters in the league this yr - most of which are in their final year. I’m not sure we are going to see improvement next year

Last edited:
In my opinion which should be taken with a grain of salt. I would think the first few years relying heavily on transfers like Cigs did and with the same kind of success would lead to much easier and better highschool recruiting. Scale back on transfer heavy classes when some of the youngsters develop and start seeing the field? I dunno but I know Indiana year one of cigs has a shot at the playoffs.

Maybe both?

we suck again GIF

30/52 (58%) 358 yards.
2 td. 2 int
147 yards rushing 1 TD

Raiola’s last 2 games
41/71 (58%) 368 yards
0 tds. 4 int

Rhule’s prior MO was to play younger guys the first 2 yrs and by yr 3 they have developed and start winning. We have the most returning starters in the league this yr - most of which are in their final year. I’m not sure we are going to see improvement next year
I think that depends on the roster he is taking over. His third rebuilding job is not necessarily exactly like the first two. it’s not like he’s going to scrap Robinson and Hutmacher in order to develop some freshman more quickly. he’s got a system, but he’d also rather win now and build up on that. Year two does not have to be a losing season.

Our biggest concern is that it appears he has a very substandard staff at several positions. That requires more than a little tinkering.

Reactions: FissionReaction

Maybe both?
Cigs can identify and develop elite talent. He was coach Saban’s recruiting coordinator and felt like he was pigeonholed because he was good at his job. His limitation is Indiana itself. The game is different now. he will have to compete to pay for the best high school seniors. That is much more easily done at Alabama. If he stays, maybe he becomes the portal guy. but there comes a point where you should have your guys in place and they don’t need to be upgraded. It becomes a game of hanging on your talent when others are willing to pay them more. I am assuming Indiana’s NIL game is weak.

I wouldn't assume this

Indiana has 2 billionaire alums who have spent 8 figures at the drop of a hat multiple times
Ignorance on my part. Might be a fun experiment for them to spend tens of millions of dollars over the next several years to see where it gets them. no matter what, you keep that coach in place and let him cook. The stakes are getting higher.

Our best selling point cannot be that we have a loyal fan base.

Reactions: king_kong_
That's was one teams answer, see Colorado last year.

Four year plan? Look at the schedules for the next two years. It will likely be at least a five-year plan, especially if he is unwilling to run off underperformers and hit the portal harder. If this season mirrors the last one as it certainly could, another 5-7 should officially end the honeymoon. Hopefully he’s smarter than Callahan and makes some assistant coaching upgrades ASAP.

Reactions: cornwoman
Perfect example of the highs and lows of a football season. We’re 5-2, with one loss in overtime to what looks like a solid team, and four very winnable games left.

This past Saturday was brutal, no question, but the team clearly isn’t as bad as that game made them look. If they were, the first six games would’ve gone very differently. Do I love that our next game is against a very good Ohio State team coming off a loss and a bye week? Nope. I’m still looking forward to seeing how we play in the Shoe and how the team responds. But let’s be honest, even if we had beaten Indiana, most people would still have us as big underdogs to Ohio State.

The UCLA game is the one I’m most interested in. The team that showed up in the first four games should win that one by multiple scores.

Reactions: scarletred
I wouldn't assume this

Indiana has 2 billionaire alums who have spent 8 figures at the drop of a hat multiple times
They may pony up given their current success but I’m not sure there was a lot of investment prior. Cignetti’s original contract was for 3.5-4 million with a peak of 4-4.5 million in yr 6

Rhule is scheduled to make 12.5 million in 2030

Reactions: leodisflowers
Perfect example of the highs and lows of a football season. We’re 5-2, with one loss in overtime to what looks like a solid team, and four very winnable games left.

This past Saturday was brutal, no question, but the team clearly isn’t as bad as that game made them look. If they were, the first six games would’ve gone very differently. Do I love that our next game is against a very good Ohio State team coming off a loss and a bye week? Nope. I’m still looking forward to seeing how we play in the Shoe and how the team responds. But let’s be honest, even if we had beaten Indiana, most people would still have us as big underdogs to Ohio State.

The UCLA game is the one I’m most interested in. The team that showed up in the first four games should win that one by multiple scores.
we all laughed at UCLA because their coach wasn't great at the mic during media day

they're getting much better each week on the field, where it matters

that is no gimme

Reactions: InMotion

30/52 (58%) 358 yards.
2 td. 2 int
147 yards rushing 1 TD

Raiola’s last 2 games
41/71 (58%) 368 yards
0 tds. 4 int

Based off just the memory, but our schemes in Chubba's last 2 games looked a lot better than what i have watched the previous 2 weeks. Scheme lacks a deep ball completely, which is very disappointing after Neyor and and Banks looked so promising. I thought Dylan was good against zone coverage having one of the highest % in the country? That is all Indiana ran so this game

we all laughed at UCLA because their coach wasn't great at the mic during media day

they're getting much better each week on the field, where it matters

that is no gimme
Very true. I'm probably giving us too much of a boost for having home field advantage. Other than the Colorado game this year, the team hasn't exactly taken advantage of it for years.

Reactions: king_kong_

30/52 (58%) 358 yards.
2 td. 2 int
147 yards rushing 1 TD

Raiola’s last 2 games
41/71 (58%) 368 yards
0 tds. 4 int

Another reason nobody should be redshirting.

In my opinion which should be taken with a grain of salt. I would think the first few years relying heavily on transfers like Cigs did and with the same kind of success would lead to much easier and better highschool recruiting. Scale back on transfer heavy classes when some of the youngsters develop and start seeing the field? I dunno but I know Indiana year one of cigs has a shot at the playoffs.
I could be way off, but weren't most of Cig's transfers from his previous team? James Madison.

Quite a bit easier taking guys who you already know & already know your system than starting from scratch when it comes to transfers year 1.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT