ADVERTISEMENT

Thank You...

marlon_fan

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2007
To the senior class.

I've been watching Nebraska since 1988. First game I saw was the Fiesta Bowl against Florida State. Been a boat load of senior classes come and go. The '96 senior class, IMHO, is the best of all time. Fond memories of the '98 class, especially Frost, Peter, Wistrom. Seeing certain players like Crouch, the Brown's, Lucky (for me anyway), Burkhead, Abdullah - sad to see them go.

While this collection of seniors has had a lot of up's and down's, more down's for the most part, and while they didn't win a conference championship, I can't recall being so sad for a senior day. Perhaps it's because the core of the class (Armstrong, Gerry, Westerkamp) has been the face of the program for about 3 years. Or, maybe it's because in a lot of ways, these guys righted the ship during the transition to Coach Riley, and made sure that 2016 would be a lot better than 2015. The Sam Foltz tragedy plays into this too because of how it impacted the entire program, but the seniors especially.

Individually, they've all had memorable moments. Armstrong's 2016 season cements his status as one of the program's toughest players. Ever. Newby carrying the team in October after so many doubted him. Westerkamp being Westerkamp. Carter's emergence as an NFL talent. Reilly's catch against Michigan State in 2015. Gerry going from a bobot to the team's best overall player and leader. Banderas having his best year as a senior. Kevin Maurice holding down the defensive line and setting an example for the young guys. Rose-Ivey's hit on Prokop to end the Oregon game. Dzuris being the steady presence at defensive end. Sure I'm missing a couple of players.

Whatever the reason(s), and no matter what happens over the next 3 (maybe 4) games, I'll always hold this senior class in high regard.

Next year's team might be more talented. 2018 might be the year Riley breaks through and Nebraska wins a championship. Regardless of all that, the 2016 seniors will be missed in a big, big way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News