ADVERTISEMENT

Terrell Newby

GBRhuskers

Junior
Jul 15, 2016
Really feel Ike he ran exceptionally well against Oregon. Ozigbo seems to be who Coach Davis prefers, I hope Newby gets more chances when he's running as well as he did last Saturday.

Did I miss it and he was banged up?

Really feel Ike he ran exceptionally well against Oregon. Ozigbo seems to be who Coach Davis prefers, I hope Newby gets more chances when he's running as well as he did last Saturday.

As long as Ozigbo get three times as many carries, we will be fine. We also need to get Tre Bryant going. He needs carries to get over his fumbleitis.

As long as Ozigbo get three times as many carries, we will be fine. We also need to get Tre Bryant going. He needs carries to get over his fumbleitis.
Great post, great thoughts. Newby is getting YAC; wow, he is so improved. Coaches really went to Devine the majority of the time to end the game - and it paid off big; great moves and a load to bring down. GBR

Agree on the earlier post. Ozigbo should be getting the majority of the carries because he makes plays and moves the chains. Newby is really improved this year in finding holes and going north south and cutting down on the dancing. Bryant is really good but seriously needs to understand how important it is to hold onto the ball. If he could get that figured out, he would be pushing Ozigbo for carries.

Agree on the earlier post. Ozigbo should be getting the majority of the carries because he makes plays and moves the chains. Newby is really improved this year in finding holes and going north south and cutting down on the dancing. Bryant is really good but seriously needs to understand how important it is to hold onto the ball. If he could get that figured out, he would be pushing Ozigbo for carries.
The truth in what you say about Tre; is visible in his not being redshirted and constantly being shown the field. There was much discussion on redshirting him, but the tipping point seems to be his return ability. He has been called a natural in all phases, being in a game can be a huge adjustment vs practice. He will make a big jump as his comfort level settles in. .... It was said late preseason, that the top backs felt that all of them had upped their play; to a level where they were all above the best any of them had played at last year. Wow, and they seem to be showing it - crazy good if they all hit their grove soon. GBR

Newby has definitely brought his A game this year. But I would still go with Ozigbo because he's a special back. And you can see that when he runs.

Just wait till next year and we run a Pro style two back formation with Ozigbo and Bryant.

Reactions: Cosmoc and sparky62
It's the best of both worlds. Two backs you can really trust with carries (in addition to two others that can play). Newby gets in some carries and is really playing well. Devine's carries go up in the third and fourth when the opposing D starts to wear down. Three yard carries become 5-6 yarders and we move the chains late. That's how you close out games.

Devine has been a beast so far and has really wore teams down, but we have to remember this is a 9 game conference schedule and we will need more than him to get thru this year healthy and fresh enough to make that push for the west. We cannot expect him to get 25-30 carries every week and stay healthy and fresh for the whole year.

Looking for some long runs from our backs this week once they break into the secondary

Newby has been a really nice surprise this year, but Oz has been a difference maker. Tough yds and punches it in.

Which back it's the fastest? I'm guessing Bryant, Newby, Wilbon, Oz. But, Oz seems to find or make holes. Bryant can turn on jets in return game. Oz seems to be the best blocker. He, Carter, and Gates led the way all game.

During the game he was banged up. He's been a lot more decisive and better at finding the holes this year.

Think it's a case of competition breeds success.

I hadn't found him to be any more decisive than last year, but he was both more decisive and ran much tougher than usual against Oregon. I hope he keeps it up.

I was re-watching the game and on Tommie's QB draw early in the 3rd quarter, Newby made a great block that sprung Tommie for about a 24 yard gain. But Newby was visibly shaken up after making that block. I give him a lot of credit for sacrificing himself on that block. GBR!!!

Reactions: GBRhuskers
Which back it's the fastest? I'm guessing Bryant, Newby, Wilbon, Oz. But, Oz seems to find or make holes. Bryant can turn on jets in return game. Oz seems to be the best blocker. He, Carter, and Gates led the way all game.
Newby is the fastest and has the best hands. Wilbon is probably the quickest (wiggle). Bryant probably the most violent. Ziggy has a great combination of skill sets. Very good power, wiggle and vision IMO. Maybe not the fastest straight line back, but he's an excellent back that IMO will play in the NFL. People are glossing over that Langsdorf made a concerted effort to call some plays just for Wilbon. We haven't had this kind of depth developed at RB since Osborne was coach.

Reactions: StrongArm517
I was re-watching the game and on Tommie's QB draw early in the 3rd quarter, Newby made a great block that sprung Tommie for about a 24 yard gain. But Newby was visibly shaken up after making that block. I give him a lot of credit for sacrificing himself on that block. GBR!!!

Nice to know, I don't remember that block. On the same topic, Ozigbo made a great block for Tommy on the game winning TD. Oz got right in the defenders thighs and took him out of the play.

Fumbles will keep even a very good runner off the field. Bryant needs to get that solved, even if it limits his aggressiveness a little. Still adjusting from the HS level I assume.

Yes we have some quality running backs. No doubt about it. However, our two leaders, Newby and Oz, have yet to show this year that they can break off some big runs. The main thing this offense lacks is the ability of an Abdullah or a Helu to uncork a 30-40 yard run now and then. Don't get me wrong, the ability of our backs to get 5-9 yards a run is impressive. But so far we lack that homerun threat from the backs that can really make opposing safeties and linebackers bite hard on play action.

Wow... Ziggy is hands down the best back we have and he should be starting. Watching Newby play as much as he does doesn't sit right with me.

Reactions: blackbones
Wow... Ziggy is hands down the best back we have and he should be starting. Watching Newby play as much as he does doesn't sit right with me.
Well whatever the strategy; the large number of carries for Devine recently and in the UCLA game bears out his abilities. AS far as him not breaking more to the house; need more time to evaluate - I do notice it often takes 3-4 defenders downfield to convince him not too. GBR

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Need 3-4 to get thru the season. Newby took a shot and was visibly stunned afterwards on the sidelines vs. Oregon. Still waiting for McNitt to get more involved in the offense...

GBR

Ozigbo starts and when NW gets tired of tackling him bring in Newby/Bryant and let them get hit with some speed.

Looking for some long runs from our backs this week once they break into the secondary

Agreed. I read somewhere that none of our RB's have broken a run longer than 20 yards yet this season. Probably true of the UCLA game, too. Our running game grinds but has not added explosiveness to the mix yet. Big plays tend to come from TA's legs, the jet sweep, or passing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT