ADVERTISEMENT

Targeting

CBS put it up in two different games I watched. Drop your head, make contact with crown of your helmet. You're not supposed to be allowed to tackle with just your helmet. That's been a rule long before targeting.

The non calls on that today were absolutely horrible. They screwed the pooch for both teams.
This. It's an arbitrary way to occasionally influence the outcome of a game and eject a player. There were at least three prior non-targeting calls with helmet-to-helmet, leading with the crown contact (by both teams) much more egregious than the one they stopped the game for. At this point, get rid of the ejection and just let it be a call on the field like any other personal foul.

Google...

NCAA targeting rule

The 2023 NCAA rulebook says that a player should be penalized for targeting if he makes “forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder.”

Google...

NCAA targeting rule

The 2023 NCAA rulebook says that a player should be penalized for targeting if he makes “forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder.”
Yep should have been 15 yard penalty and Nebraska would have been in FG position..

• Angry
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
Bad optics for the BIG if Iowa lost that game. We shot our selves in the foot as usual, but we get that 15 yard penalty it changes the game completely most likely resulting in a Nebraska win.

The more egregious reffing failure came when they didn’t catch the stopped clock for a play and a half, adding at least 15 seconds to the end of the game. Isn’t there supposed to be a designated ref keeping the time on the field so that if the clock doesn’t start they adjust the clock to the proper time?

Can someone tell me what the definition of targeting is? I thought I knew but I guess I’m wrong

Crazy thing is, I think the NFL just suspended a guy for multiple games for doing that. For the nth week in a row, the B1G officials -- plain as day -- cannot seem to get simple rulings correct.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Crazy thing is, I think the NFL just suspended a guy for multiple games for doing that. For the nth week in a row, the B1G officials -- plain as day -- cannot seem to get simple rulings correct.
There are a lot of simple rules that the big ten officials can’t get correct or even be consistent for both team

Reactions: nosok23
They missed a few targeting with the crown on Nebraska. I’ve haven’t seen a targeting call when the helmet goes for the football to force a fumble…

Get what you're saying,.but the idiot officials missed the call during the game you're talking about and suspended him after the fact. It was a blatant missed call....

Correct. That is why there was no targeting call. Some blame can go to the CBS commentator who clearly didn't know the rules.
Someone else already posted, but this is wrong. Forcible contact to the head or neck area is just one kind of targeting, and the contact can be initiated by the helmet, or shoulder, arm, hand, etc. Attacking with the crown of the helmet regardless of where the contact occurs is also a violation.

Let's blame the loss on the refs rather than Matt Rhule. Targeting or not, this game was lost from the opening kick-off. So who really cares or gives a shit?

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Get what you're saying,.but the idiot officials missed the call during the game you're talking about and suspended him after the fact. It was a blatant missed call....

It even caused a turnover.

Someone else already posted, but this is wrong. Forcible contact to the head or neck area is just one kind of targeting, and the contact can be initiated by the helmet, or shoulder, arm, hand, etc. Attacking with the crown of the helmet regardless of where the contact occurs is also a violation.

They didn't call earlier in the game on a punt return by Wetjen, I don't hear any complaint regarding that.

Bad optics for the BIG if Iowa lost that game. We shot our selves in the foot as usual, but we get that 15 yard penalty it changes the game completely most likely resulting in a Nebraska win.
You know they also instantly through the flag for the holding call after our interception. That call was going to happen the moment we got it to put us out of field goal range. Here is the deal, it is clear the refs don't give us the right yardage or flag us for things they don't flag other teams for. The clock didn't run before our punt... I can go on and on every game. The probably is we still lose, because our players choke. END OF STORY

We have no one on the offense that knows how to "make something happen"

I see some of our fans reached the part of the grieving process where we ignore the calls or non-calls that benefitted us and cherry pick the others that didn't, to use as a crutch.

Reactions: fufkewe and WHCSC
You know they also instantly through the flag for the holding call after our interception. That call was going to happen the moment we got it to put us out of field goal range.
I don't often defend Big Ten refs, but Lynum bear-hugged the Iowa player and never let go, even after he was no longer a threat to make the tackle on Hill. It was like an instructional film on how to get called for holding.

Costly penalty for sure, but too obvious not to call.

I see some of our fans reached the part of the grieving process where we ignore the calls or non-calls that benefitted us and cherry pick the others that didn't, to use as a crutch.
Name any in the last game that benefited us or hell the last 3 or 4 games... we never get any breaks from the officiating crew even at home games SMH

Can someone tell me what the definition of targeting is? I thought I knew but I guess I’m wrong
Initially I called bs on the targeting live but on the review I convinced myself of the fact that it was targeting based upon the true definition that CBS put up there. No it wasn't helmet to helmet but if what was posted on tv is correct it checked all the boxes.

Is I stated in another thread that the replay official kissinger is horrible.

The spot for first down that they reviewed after the false start should have moved the spot of the ball. The non replay of their td. The fumble/incomplete pass.....

“Note 1”, referred to in both 9-1-3 and 9-1-4 further defines the intent of the rule and it specifically excepts “playing the ball”, which the replay pretty clearly shows….at least in my humble opinion

The more egregious reffing failure came when they didn’t catch the stopped clock for a play and a half, adding at least 15 seconds to the end of the game. Isn’t there supposed to be a designated ref keeping the time on the field so that if the clock doesn’t start they adjust the clock to the proper time?
Yes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT