ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner Lee

TLee showed incremental improvement over his Tulane days, but his numbers are at best average. We didn't need to have a big season. TLee didn't need to have a big season (it would've helped his draft stock though). The pro scouts like his mechanics. There ya go.

Will he get drafted, I'm indifferent. Will he end up an undrafted free agent, I'm indifferent. I'm just glad Riley is gone.

Tanner Lee had the best year of the main 4 QBs, given each QBs playing situation.

Tanner's numbers are fine if the WRs and Oline didn't triple his interception total.

Most of the interceptions weren't of the Tommy variety where you swear he was color blind.

Sam Darnold looked even worse than Tanner under pressure.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Tanner Lee had the best year of the main 4 QBs, given each QBs playing situation.

Tanner's numbers are fine if the WRs and Oline didn't triple his interception total.

Most of the interceptions weren't of the Tommy variety where you swear he was color blind.

I have nothing bad to say about Lee, and I hope he finds a place in the NFL. But this is what cracks me up - the people who bagged on Armstrong because he was suuuuuuuuuuuuch a bad QB - but then, all of sudden in 2017, Nebraska's offensive line got horrible, its defense got soft and its running game turned to crap. So all you know-nothing so-called fans have some nerve blaming the QB!!!

Last edited:
I have nothing bad to say about Lee, and I hope he finds a place in the NFL. But this is what cracks me up - the people who bagged on Armstrong because he was suuuuuuuuuuuuch a bad QB - but then, all of sudden in 2017, Nebraska's offensive line got horrible, its defense got soft and its running game turned to crap. So you know-nothing so-called fans have some nerve blaming the QB!!!
Tommy played under a poor O line, no doubt. But not even close to the same level as what Lee had to endure. I assume you watched the games with the matador blocking. And Tommy had a running game, 2 years with Ameer.

There is a big difference between getting picked due to dropsies or getting slammed to the ground in the process of a pass vs chucking the ball up for grabs and getting picked 4 times a game.

Last edited:
Tommy played under a poor O line, no doubt. But not even close to the same level as what Lee had to endure. And Tommy had a running game with Ameer.

There is a big difference between getting picked due to dropsies and getting slammed to the ground in the process of a pass vs chucking the ball up for grabs and getting picked 4 times a game.
Really? So Armstrong had the luxury of playing behind the legendary Dylan Utter?

And who exactly had "the dropsies" against Northern Illinois and Northwestern? Not the other teams' DBs, that's for sure. And just to be clear, I don't like judging Tanner Lee based on a couple of awful games, but why is that any worse that bagging on Armstrong for the same thing?

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Really? So Armstrong had the luxury of playing behind the legendary Dylan Utter?

And who exactly had "the dropsies" against Northern Illinois and Northwestern? Not the other teams' DBs, that's for sure. And just to be clear, I don't like judging Tanner Lee based on a couple of awful games, but why is that any worse that bagging on Armstrong for the same thing?
Northern Illinois had a DB jump a route and Lee was hit on the second one.
Northwestern, he was hit on the last one. I'd have to watch the others.

Lee's bad interceptions for the entire season were tallied in two games per season for Tommy. 7 interceptions against Rutgers and Iowa.

Tommy had a better supporting cast and ****ed up the game on his own most of the time.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Northern Illinois had a DB jump a route and Lee was hit on the second one.
Northwestern, he was hit on the last one. I'd have to watch the others.

Lee's bad interceptions for the entire season were tallied in two games a season for Tommy. 7 interceptions against Rutgers and Iowa.

Tommy had a better supporting cast and ****ed up the game on his own most of the time.
Well if you get to decide which interceptions are bad and which aren't, and which plays matter and which don't, and which offensive line merely sucked and which one sucked even worse - now we're getting somewhere. I'm sure the people bagging on Tanner Lee feel like they're somehow entitled to do exactly the same thing.

Well if you get to decide which interceptions are bad and which aren't, and which plays matter and which don't, and which offensive line merely sucked and which one sucked even worse - now we're getting somewhere. I'm sure the people bagging on Tanner Lee feel like they're somehow entitled to do exactly the same thing.
Yes, some interceptions are worse than others. Tipped passes/through WRs hands vs point-blank into a defenders' arms with no pressure for example.

POB was sacked 7 times in 30 minutes of football against Minnesota. That was a stellar line.

Yes, some interceptions are worse than others. Tipped passes vs point-blank into a defenders' arms with no pressure for example.

POB was sacked 7 times in 30 minutes of football against Minnesota. That was a stellar line.
No, I get it. These people bagging on Tanner Lee are just bitter, ignorant fans who blame the QB when anything bad happens on the field. But you - you're wayyyyyyyy above that sort of thing. You should award yourself a Johnny SuperFan merit badge.

And yeah, the O-Line was way better in 2016. Just ask Ryker Fyfe after the Music City Bowl.

No, I get it. These people bagging on Tanner Lee are just bitter, ignorant fans who blame the QB when anything bad happens on the field. But you - you're wayyyyyyyy above that sort of thing. You should award yourself a Johnny SuperFan merit badge.
They are bitter towards Tanner because he represented the Riley offense. Anyone who isn't a run first QB is lambasted by the old fogies

They are bitter towards Tanner because he represented the Riley offense. Anyone who isn't a run first QB is lambasted by the old fogies
I'm sure that's it exactly. Either that, or they missed your Official Memo on Players Who Can and Cannot be Criticized. How dare they?

Reactions: Yolobomb
Tanner may not have had a great year for whatever reason, that does not mean he does t have NFL talent. If he has the arm there is a coach that believes they can make him great. Not saying that is automatic. It is li,e a pitcher who throws 95 but can't throw strikes or knows how to pitch. Those guys get more slack than a kid who throws 91 and can paint.

Yes, some interceptions are worse than others. Tipped passes/through WRs hands vs point-blank into a defenders' arms with no pressure for example.

Who's to say tipped pass interceptions didn't count against Armstrong too? They did. It doesn't really matter how it happens, whenever a qb throws an interception, it's going to be looked at negatively. There's no good interceptions and bad interceptions. There is just bad. EVERY qb has to deal with interceptions that aren't his fault. I think people are trying to look for excuses just because Tanner Lee threw so many of them.

Who's to say tipped pass interceptions didn't count against Armstrong too? They did. It doesn't really matter how it happens, whenever a qb throws an interception, it's going to be looked at negatively. There's no good interceptions and bad interceptions. There is just bad. EVERY qb has to deal with interceptions that aren't his fault. I think people are trying to look for excuses just because Tanner Lee threw so many of them.
I hear what you’re saying and agree to a point, but there is a difference between a pass that bounces off your face mask into the opposing DB’s hands (Stanley Morgan against Oregon) and a pass that’s thrown up for grabs (TA, quite often).

You have to admit that not every interception is the fault of the QB. Having said that, Tanner had some bad passes this year that were on him. But some on this board seem ticked that Lee is getting a look in the NFL at QB, while TA got a look at RB and DB, but not QB. There’s a reason Lee is getting a look at QB... evidently his INTs haven’t hurt him enough to at least get a few sniffs.

I hear what you’re saying and agree to a point, but there is a difference between a pass that bounces off your face mask into the opposing DB’s hands (Stanley Morgan against Oregon) and a pass that’s thrown up for grabs (TA, quite often).

You have to admit that not every interception is the fault of the QB. Having said that, Tanner had some bad passes this year that were on him. But some on this board seem ticked that Lee is getting a look in the NFL at QB, while TA got a look at RB and DB, but not QB. There’s a reason Lee is getting a look at QB... evidently his INTs haven’t hurt him enough to at least get a few sniffs.
I have no interest in bashing Lee, and if he makes an NFL roster I'll be happy for him. What I find amusing is people who will swear up and down that the QB was the Huskers' main problem when Armstrong was there, but when Guy They Like Better takes over at QB and the team does far worse, all of a sudden it's the rest of the team that's not any good.

When their team plays like dog crap, fans put excessive blame on the QB. This is nothing new, and it has nothing to do with fans not being sophisticated enough to embrace Riley's offense. I've read some dimwitted theories on this board over the years, but that one is right up there.

How about just disliking any QB that turns the ball over with the breakneck rate that he turned the ball over in the first half of the season? It was amazing how I didn't dislike him nearly as much when he wasn't giving the ball to the other team every other play in the 2nd half of the season.

But by all means..keep on with this silly narrative that we disliked TL because he represented all of the ills of a drop-back passer. Maybe you'll get some mileage out of it. But maybe we'll just roll our eyes.

Reactions: schuele

Lol ok.

I have no interest in bashing Lee, and if he makes an NFL roster I'll be happy for him. What I find amusing is people who will swear up and down that the QB was the Huskers' main problem when Armstrong was there, but when Guy They Like Better takes over at QB and the team does far worse, all of a sudden it's the rest of the team that's not any good.

When their team plays like dog crap, fans put excessive blame on the QB. This is nothing new, and it has nothing to do with fans not being sophisticated enough to embrace Riley's offense. I've read some dimwitted theories on this board over the years, but that one is right up there.

All of this.

And, to be clear, the Riley offense is a mitigating factor in my judgment of both Armstrong and Lee. Neither of them seemed to have good check down routes they could hit.

I don't think anyone is saying that Armstrong is the better passer, but I think he was the better quarterback. Lee had the worse line, despite the lack of graduations from Armstrong's line? The running game was worse? Who did we lose? You see, having a mobile quarterback is something that makes the line and the running game look better. Defenses need to worry about containment when they rush. Defenses need to worry about the qb when defending the run game. Certainly Lee is the better passer, particularly on mechanics. But that advantage was not enough to counter his statuesque athleticism. If you put Lee in the 2016 offense, he'd get pummeled just as much. If you are going to have a passing qb, he better pass really, really well. Saying he is a better passer than Tommy Armstrong isn't compelling. And their comparative records bare that out.

And of course none of that matters for the pro scouts. They aren't looking to draft someone to regale them with stories of their college day victories. They want a tall guy with a strong arm and a decent head. Lee has the first two, and I won't pretend to know enough on the third. I wish him the best of luck. It can only help Nebraska if he does well. Same goes Armstrong, in any of his endeavors.

Thank goodness the young snowflakes know what we "really" need.....cement shoes and pick sixes everywhere. How can you beat that?

I'm still trying to comprehend how predicting the success of an ex-Nebraska QB in the NFL equates to wishing bad on him. I have not seen a single post that is wishing bad on him. It seems like we are just repeating the same argument from last with the same posters saying how great he is (without much proof) and the same posters arguing back (using the historical proof). The argument is he just needs better players around him.

Seems like the same story and posters arguing the merit of our last head coach. All the proof pointed to him being mediocre yet fans emphatically argued he just needed the keys to the Ferrari.

Reactions: nebcountry
I hope TL, or any NU grad, can find a spot in the NFL. But his performance in the Senior Bowl yesterday looked like pretty average stuff again. Maybe he'll get a spot, maybe he won't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT