ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner Lee is not the problem

Someone mentioned tempo...

Tanner in an up-tempo style is efficient. I think it helps mask our problems at OL, and we seem to get the ball downfield more often.

Anyway, past is prologue but we looked pretty good against their scrubs...

Know anywhere to see highlights of the comeback?

I just got home and missed hearing the last quarter on the radio except for a couple minutes.

Anyone that knows anything about football knew tanner wasn’t the problem. Was he perfect? Nope. Made some bad decisions this year but so has baker mayfield. Alabama would still be in the playoff hunt if tanner was their qb

And anyone that knows anything about football also didn't buy into the steady stream of BS about how this team was going to be soooooo much better when a pro-style QB was installed. You still have to block and tackle.

Pretty much everyone that was optimistic about the year knew the offensive line had to improve and Diaco had to get the defense playing well. Neither of those two things happened. But keep pushing the straw man that anyone thought tanner was all we needed to be a good team.

Tanner is a decent QB, but not good enough to lead a championship BigTen team. Granted his O-line is probably the worst I've ever witnessed at Nebraska and his genius OC puts him in tough situations. Kid has a lot of heart though, no doubt.

His poor play early cost us some games, but he has been solid the second half of the season.

3 TD 0 int. World's greatest? No. Lost cause? Not by a long shot. Some big boy throws at the end.

Imagine if he had a run game to complement his offense...
And a OLne that could protect and run screens effectively with a screen back that can house it and run a wheel route effectively, and the OL to give him the time to throw that route Bradley And Bryant will be fun next year .a Back like Tarik Cohen would be huge fit for the new offense The loss of Bryant was big hit to the screen game. Langs two TE set, has throttled this offense all year long. Hopefully no more of that. Get receivers and RBs in space protect with 5 An Run the ball down people throut when we want. If Frost comes he has some weapons But the Oline must be much more physical and quick of foot. Walking around DOSENT cut it effort was much improved this week up front though.

Reactions: TheBeav815
The first 3 games not withstanding, I now understand and agree with the TL hype. Dude is legit. Give him a Strong OL and a defense and he’s All-American caliber and more.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Lee’s definitely has an NFL type arm. He’s got to keep getting better at reading defenses faster and just keep improving. I’d love to see what he could of done with an actual good OL. Of course defense...then we wouldn’t have the record we do and there wouldn’t be the Frost talk....so yea.

Reactions: Can o' corn
Tanner Lee's lack of leadership and inability to get the offense to play as a team has cost us lots of games. I think he's average at best. He's by no means athletic at all, and I'm surprised he was out there again, especially after supposedly going through concussion protocol? Something isn't right there. Anyways, I hope next Friday will be his last game for NU and he can 'move on'.

Reactions: oldjar07
3 TD 0 int. World's greatest? No. Lost cause? Not by a long shot. Some big boy throws at the end.

Imagine if he had a run game to complement his offense...
If he had a run game to complement, he likely wouldn’t have the passing game he does. As much as we hate to admit it, that’s pretty much how the world works. Which is why we seem to be fascinated with superhero movies.

I would say it's probably a lot easier to complete passes when the opposing defense is playing very conservatively, with a 32-point lead.

The saddest part of this year is that Tanner Lee, who is an average to below average QB, that throws into coverage too often, will be the bright spot of the team. That's how awful this team is.

I would say it's probably a lot easier to complete passes when the opposing defense is playing very conservatively, with a 32-point lead.

The saddest part of this year is that Tanner Lee, who is an average to below average QB, that throws into coverage too often, will be the bright spot of the team. That's how awful this team is.
This. Lee had a terrible game when it mattered. He had two decent short field drives in the first quarter. But the critical second quarter was hideous. He threw low, high, short, wide and into coverage. Our whole offense was awful, but he wasn't doing so hot either

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Where is he going to go? He's transfered once already and isn't going pro.

He'll declare. Professional scouts will get to see him workout and they will love what he brings to the table. They won't give a damn about his stats, just whether or not they think they can mold him.

He is too inconsistent but I see he has legit skills - and there is improvement over the season but still - too many WTH stretches in games. But our problems go far beyond QB.

Tanner Lee's lack of leadership and inability to get the offense to play as a team has cost us lots of games. I think he's average at best. He's by no means athletic at all, and I'm surprised he was out there again, especially after supposedly going through concussion protocol? Something isn't right there. Anyways, I hope next Friday will be his last game for NU and he can 'move on'.
Agree. It is important for a QB to understand the game, make good decisions, manage the game, make the throws, and motivate/hold accountable the offense. The last one IMHO is huge. Tanner Lee understands the game plan well and does his homework obviously. He manages the game pretty well (clock, snaps, handoffs, etc.). He has all the throws, but not all the time, he seems to throw a fair number of bad passes. He does not make good decisions often. As time has gone on he locks onto receivers too much, which may be in part to poor protection. There are a lot of plays he throws into coverage when someone is wide open. I think his weakest area is motivating the offense and holding people accountable. I don't know this, but I suspect it. Yes, he was voted captain and the players gush about his leadership, but I just think something is missing there. That is why I called all season for POB to get some PT. POB may not throw as well or as far and maybe even make not as good decisions, but we need a QB to rally the O and get them on the same page. Frazier was not especially liked and was not voted captain, but we all know the results he got.

your brilliance shines through once again. Cmon man.:rolleyes:

He'll declare. Professional scouts will get to see him workout and they will love what he brings to the table. They won't give a damn about his stats, just whether or not they think they can mold him.
They'll look at the stats but they'll also look at the film and see what was going on around him. IMO, his performance Saturday was pretty impressive given the circumstances. They'll look at the protections and how he went through his progressions etc. I'm sure he's going to talk to the new coach and see what they have in mind before he decides what to do. QBs from college spread systems are all over the NFL now so who knows. Maybe he stays. Good kid. Hope he gets a shot at the NFL if that's what he wants.

They'll look at the stats but they'll also look at the film and see what was going on around him. IMO, his performance Saturday was pretty impressive given the circumstances. They'll look at the protections and how he went through his progressions etc. I'm sure he's going to talk to the new coach and see what they have in mind before he decides what to do. QBs from college spread systems are all over the NFL now so who knows. Maybe he stays. Good kid. Hope he gets a shot at the NFL if that's what he wants.
Or they'll see that he's not going through his progressions because his offensive line is on roller skates. That's pretty much how I felt when Tommy Armstrong was getting ripped for locking in on one receiver or tucking the ball away and running with it. Armstrong was not a great QB by any means, but it's not any easier to throw a pass with Dylan Utter in your lap than Jerald Foster.

If Trevor Siemian can be a late-round pick and make an NFL roster, so can Lee. I don't see him soaring up anyone's draft board, but he'll surely get into training camp with someone.

Someone mentioned tempo...

Tanner in an up-tempo style is efficient. I think it helps mask our problems at OL, and we seem to get the ball downfield more often.

Anyway, past is prologue but we looked pretty good against their scrubs...
I don't know what game you were watching but that wasn't their scrubs that was their starters they kept their starters in the whole way on defense LOL

Where is he going to go? He's transfered once already and isn't going pro.
He potentially could graduate this summer and grad transfer to somebody running a pro-style system. If not,given the praise by the Mannings, somebody would invite him to camp. Pro scouts put a lot more stock in professional evaluations than they do message board GMs.

I don't know what game you were watching but that wasn't their scrubs that was their starters they kept their starters in the whole way on defense LOL

not at all.. 14 played his first snaps ever.. 38, 5 are true frosh.. 14 rs frosh.. both starting DE's are out for the team before kickoff.. after 28 went out for targeting more starters exited the game.. we wanna stay fresh for Maryland. I don't think the team took the 2nd half all that serious.. if McSorley stayed in we might have scored 70.

in a real game your coach would pull your starter to protect him for Iowa or future games.. there was no chance to win... not sure what Riley was doing, but then again nobody over here is either LOL. If Tanner would have got hurt would have been awful.. kid just had a concussion last week. Again, Riley prob would finished 3rd in a junior high conference.

You guys have very good WR's.. it's our D that kills you.

in a real game your coach would pull your starter to protect him for Iowa or future games.. there was no chance to win... not sure what Riley was doing, .
He was letting Lee and Langsdorf put some more on film to try to get NFL jobs next season.

Reactions: TheNewNU
He was letting Lee and Langsdorf put some more on film to try to get NFL jobs next season.
agreed.. but still.. if the kid gets hurt during meaningless snaps.. Reilly looks even dumber than he already does. The conditions were sh$$.. bad couple of weeks of weather in the BIG.

They must have a lot of starters then because they had 28 different defensive guys make tackle's. No idea how many other of their starters played and didn't make a tackle. All I know is there were alot of white pants playing in the 4th quarter on a muddy rainy grass field.

Reactions: TheNewNU
He potentially could graduate this summer and grad transfer to somebody running a pro-style system. If not,given the praise by the Mannings, somebody would invite him to camp. Pro scouts put a lot more stock in professional evaluations than they do message board GMs.
At this point Tanner is very good at practice even against PSU it was more like a scrimmage for them in the second half. It will hurt him going forward no matter his talent level

the blame for this I believe lies with Langsdorf - he threw this kid to the wolves and shattered his confidence early this year. I do not believe I am seen a worse OC and playcaller than Langdorfs

He isn't lighting the world on fire, but as it's been noted, Nebraska has nothing else. They can't run the ball even a little bit. Tough gig as a QB when the defense knows it has zero need to respect your running game and your pass pro is garbage.

His TD:INT isn't good enough, 13 picks is too many. How many of those just bonked right off a receiver though? 2? 3?

He isn't lighting the world on fire, but as it's been noted, Nebraska has nothing else. They can't run the ball even a little bit. Tough gig as a QB when the defense knows it has zero need to respect your running game and your pass pro is garbage.

His TD:INT isn't good enough, 13 picks is too many. How many of those just bonked right off a receiver though? 2? 3?
He has been affected by a lot of things so yes its not all his fault and he is talented to be sure. The biggest problem has been Langsdorf he may know the mechanics of throwing a pass or reading coverages but he is flat out bad at how he brings a new QB along

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT