ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner Farmer wrestling update

I'm still amazed he didn't stick around in the NFL. Great athlete. Glad he's doing something he loves.

he was a good athlete in the sense that he was able to perform at a high level in multiple sports.

he was not a great athlete in terms of his foot speed and his quickness / agility. He also lacked length. He was able to get by on strength and power in college, but that doesn’t work in the NFL.

he was a good athlete in the sense that he was able to perform at a high level in multiple sports.

he was not a great athlete in terms of his foot speed and his quickness / agility. He also lacked length. He was able to get by on strength and power in college, but that doesn’t work in the NFL.
I disagree with you assessment of his feet. I thought for a man his size that he was very quick. That said, I think his best asset was how aggressive he was and his effort in college. #want to

I disagree with you assessment of his feet. I thought for a man his size that he was very quick. That said, I think his best asset was how aggressive he was and his effort in college. #want to

that’s fine. Scouts disagreed though. And if your assessment was correct, I’d imagine Farmer would’ve had a long NFL career at center or guard.

that’s fine. Scouts disagreed though. And if your assessment was correct, I’d imagine Farmer would’ve had a long NFL career at center or guard.
Actually, you kind of know what you're talking about, but not the truth exactly either.
After Tanner did not make the pros, (but still had coaches that talked to him) He went to Concordia
to finish out his master's degree. He helped coach football and then found out he still had wrestling
eligibility at that school. He started training to wrestle in November along with coaching and school.
He had his first match in December. He went 22-0 and lost in the finals in overtime for his only loss of
the season at the NAIA National finals. Along with his wrestling at Nebraska and going 4-1, put his college record at 26-2. Not bad for a guy who isn't very athletic. He now wrestles for the United States wrestling team. His post college record is not too shabby either. He has his first World wrestling competition at the Zagreb grand prix this weekend in Croatia. I don't know how it will go for him yet but am really not to concerned. He has other long-term goals. I'm just his father and get to enjoy my son chasing his dreams. Whether you think Tanner isn't very athletic or not is really immaterial and has little bearing on his life or mine. Think what you want. In my opinion, you wouldn't know athletic if was staring you right in the face.
GBR

Actually, you kind of know what you're talking about, but not the truth exactly either.
After Tanner did not make the pros, (but still had coaches that talked to him) He went to Concordia
to finish out his master's degree. He helped coach football and then found out he still had wrestling
eligibility at that school. He started training to wrestle in November along with coaching and school.
He had his first match in December. He went 22-0 and lost in the finals in overtime for his only loss of
the season at the NAIA National finals. Along with his wrestling at Nebraska and going 4-1, put his college record at 26-2. Not bad for a guy who isn't very athletic. He now wrestles for the United States wrestling team. His post college record is not too shabby either. He has his first World wrestling competition at the Zagreb grand prix this weekend in Croatia. I don't know how it will go for him yet but am really not to concerned. He has other long-term goals. I'm just his father and get to enjoy my son chasing his dreams. Whether you think Tanner isn't very athletic or not is really immaterial and has little bearing on his life or mine. Think what you want. In my opinion, you wouldn't know athletic if was staring you right in the face.
GBR
I get it, I do...but I think he means in comparison to nfl players.

Reactions: blfarmer73
Per NFL.com

Overview
Center prospect with above average size and strength to go along with well-documented leadership. Farmer's accountability and work ethic will be appealing but his lack of functional movement and athletic ability could be hard to overcome. While he played both center and guard, the tape is much better at center and the lack of length could preclude teams from even considering him at guard. The size and strength helps, but finding a 53-man roster will be a challenge.

Weaknesses
  • Lacks functional initial quickness and lateral agility
  • Unable to find reactive quickness to protect the gaps
  • Very limited blocking range
  • Slow in climbs up to second level
  • Late and wide with initial hand strikes at point of attack
  • Below-average length to create extension and secure blocks
  • Feet deaden in pass mirror
  • Slow to recognize and react to looping twists back underneath

GBR
I had a feeling, based on your profile that you might be his Dad.. I was going to comment about wrestling in general, but figured I probably shouldn't as this seemed more personal to you and you were just giving an update about Tanner, rather than starting a topic on wrestling.

You know how it is on a fan message board, people talk about players/coaches as if they were chess pieces on a chess board, and not looking at things from a personal point of view.

Tanner was a great Husker, and always will be. Hope he has success this weekend!

Last edited:
Per NFL.com

Overview
Center prospect with above average size and strength to go along with well-documented leadership. Farmer's accountability and work ethic will be appealing but his lack of functional movement and athletic ability could be hard to overcome. While he played both center and guard, the tape is much better at center and the lack of length could preclude teams from even considering him at guard. The size and strength helps, but finding a 53-man roster will be a challenge.

Weaknesses
Brian Allen says hello

• Haha
Reactions: 1ManBearPig
Brian Allen says hello
Yeah I just posted the facts from NFL.com. I really don't give a shit. Farmer filled a role here because we didn't have NFL (or proper power 5) lineman on the roster. I have seen him maul guys in wrestling, but not close to NFL caliber lineman. Not personal. Same as all other talent discussions on here.

Per NFL.com

Overview

Weaknesses
And with all of that IF he lands on the right team with a need and maybe an injury, he's on a roster and then who knows what happens. Good Lord, Matt Farniok is on an active roster and he's a turtle.

GBR

did you read my initial post? I said he was a good athlete in the sense that he’s able to play multiple sports at a high level.

I then parroted what legitimately every NFL scouting profile out there has on him. If that’s offensive, I’m not really sure what to tell you.

Reactions: 1ManBearPig
did you read my initial post? I said he was a good athlete in the sense that he’s able to play multiple sports at a high level.

I then parroted what legitimately every NFL scouting profile out there has on him. If that’s offensive, I’m not really sure what to tell you.
Here is what the world is saying about Tanner. You can say what you wish. Your intent is your own. I have no ill will. GBR

Here is what the world is saying about Tanner. You can say what you wish. Your intent is your own. I have no ill will. GBR
Congratulations to your boy. And thanks for the updates. Cant imagine how irritating it must be as a father to read some of the posts here.

Probably unwise to argue his NFL offensive line potential. It isnt there. He can wrestle, but he cant play NFL football. This is only personal to his dad.

GBR
Long ass post on a message board for someone who doesn’t care. Stop crying about your son not cutting it online

Embarrassing watching old men cry over their kids online I’m sure your son would want no part of his dad not being able to let it go on a message board

Embarrassing watching old men cry over their kids online I’m sure your son would want no part of his dad not being able to let it go on a message board
I would defend my son if the criticism was wrong. This is not one of those times. If he would've kept his mouth shut, there wouldn't have been as many comments proving him wrong. I am sure Tanner is aware he is not the caliber lineman the NFL is looking for, or he would be a rich man right now.

• Haha
The world?

Enjoy! Or not. Your choice
"Tanner Farmer (130 kg, NYAC/IRTC, 5PM #3) will not be competing for a medal in his international debut, but he certainly left it all out on the mat in his attempt to do so." "He matadored an oncoming Farmer with a shuck at the boundary to take a 4-4 criteria lead in the second. A near-repeat occurred shortly, with Farmer rushing in only to have Richter pivot on the yellow to garner one more step-out. Again the American side challenged — and again there was no change to the call. The 6-5 decision was awarded to Richter"

So this is your response? You ignore all the NFL teams passing, all the scouting reports, and say "Here is what the world is saying". 1 reporter writing a story about him loosing, largely due to relying on brute strength, and being out maneuvered. This is his football profile. Beat up on young guys with brute force as an older player, and got outclassed by athleticism and talent every time. NFL teams saw it. Tough to be a solid lineman in the NFL if strength is your 1 tool, and everyone else is strong.

• Haha
kinda like Nebraska fans have no use for the mouth farts iowa fans exude on our message board nonstop?

embarrassing, indeed
Omaha born and raised just sick of a bunch of old white dudes not understanding why the state and football program is a laughingstock 😂

• Haha

Enjoy! Or not. Your choice
Lmao poor kid has his dad sharing articles about him not even being that good at the second sport he pivoted to 😪

Per NFL.com

Overview

Weaknesses
Something tells me that you were picked on a lot in high school and probably got the crap kicked out of you more than once.......

Omaha born and raised just sick of a bunch of old white dudes not understanding why the state and football program is a laughingstock 😂
And yet you as an Iowa fan still continue to grace us with your presence....even though you're sick of the old white dudes. You are the exhibition of insanity.

Something tells me that you were picked on a lot in high school and probably got the crap kicked out of you more than once.......
Are you sure you didn't have a relative that knows me? Or some fake ass connection like you claim in 90% of the threads you contribute to? The dude starts crying and arguing fact. I see it, and provide prudent information showing him to be wrong and he acted like a little b.itch. You have been kissing his ass this whole thread, obviously you have a thing for him, and feel the need to support him, despite him being very wrong. This thread has shown his dad is a delusional crybaby. All 32 NFL teams passed, all NFL scouts agreed. Picked on in high school? Crap kicked out of me? You have stooped to retardation in your defense for the Farmer clan.

Are you sure you didn't have a relative that knows me? Or some fake ass connection like you claim in 90% of the threads you contribute to? The dude starts crying and arguing fact. I see it, and provide prudent information showing him to be wrong and he acted like a little b.itch. You have been kissing his ass this whole thread, obviously you have a thing for him, and feel the need to support him, despite him being very wrong. This thread has shown his dad is a delusional crybaby. All 32 NFL teams passed, all NFL scouts agreed. Picked on in high school? Crap kicked out of me? You have stooped to retardation in your defense for the Farmer clan.
You sound like a smart assed kid I knew 40 years ago that got the crap kicked out of him for shooting his mouth off to the wrong guy. You schtick is getting old junior. I liked Tanner as a player and I like hearing what former Husker players are up to. We don't need you pissing on the conversations to try to make yourself feel better about your own miserable unremarkable life. Getting to wrestle at the level he got to wrestle at is hardly evidence of "not even being very good". I've known some guys who were state champs and damned good college wrestlers who didn't make it that far.

You sound like a smart assed kid I knew 40 years ago that got the crap kicked out of him for shooting his mouth off to the wrong guy. You schtick is getting old junior. I liked Tanner as a player and I like hearing what former Husker players are up to. We don't need you pissing on the conversations to try to make yourself feel better about your own miserable unremarkable life. Getting to wrestle at the level he got to wrestle at is hardly evidence of "not even be very good". I've known some guys who were state champs and damned good college wrestlers who didn't make it that far.
Nice projection. You lie about your profession and social circle to people on a football forum. **** off. Im more hammer than nail. I present facts to liars. Your schtick has been old buddy. My brother in law who is a biochemist told me.

You're just being an asshole. Most of us like getting the updates.
Its not about the wrestling update idiot. Go back to the beginning of the thread and see where and how i entered the chat. You are defending your man to the wrong guy. You are a whining b.itch. My only point in this thread, was that tanner is not an NFL level player. He isn't. You have been sucking up in here since you chimed in the first time. Keep defending the guy. He did a shit job trying on his own. Keep the thread going so he keeps checking in.

You sound like a smart assed kid I knew 40 years ago that got the crap kicked out of him for shooting his mouth off to the wrong guy. You schtick is getting old junior. I liked Tanner as a player and I like hearing what former Husker players are up to. We don't need you pissing on the conversations to try to make yourself feel better about your own miserable unremarkable life. Getting to wrestle at the level he got to wrestle at is hardly evidence of "not even being very good". I've known some guys who were state champs and damned good college wrestlers who didn't make it that far.
Also, I was one of the better athletes at my high school, and getting my ass kicked was not even on the radar. I had 1 fight in high school. I whooped a wrestlers ass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT