ADVERTISEMENT

Taking back Saturdays

otismotis08

Head Coach
Jan 5, 2012
parts unknown
After decades of dedicating my Saturdays (or others) to Cornhusker football, I decided before this year began to watch the games at the end of the day instead. On my own schedule, no commercials, etc.

So far, it's paid off in a big way. I've been able to enjoy the beautiful weather, get projects down around the house, meet some awesome new people, and really appreciate and be thankful for things in life.

Oh I still hope we win, will cheer on the team, and watch the games but it's not what it used to be.

Peace.

Like it. I had planned to get some things done before the game and a young man I hadn't seen for a few years stopped by. I had him as a little kid at church, later in youth group and as a college age adult in Sunday School. He is an engineer now and saw me in the yard and wanted to talk. I turned the game on with no sound and eventually shut the game off. Catching up with him was much more important and I would say, even more rewarding for me. I love my Huskers but not as much as the investment in other's lives. YMMV

More and more fans I know aren’t watching or at least watching live. Falls are too beautiful and fun to spend in doors for week after week of let down.

Call it fair weather fans but, it’s been over 6 years now without sunshine and the last 20 years has been tuff. Many fans don’t want to spend their life in misery anymore. You can’t blame them. If it’s really going to take 3 years to pull his head out of his ass then he will likely do it with lower tv ratings and small crowds at games. Fan support for the program is the only thing the program currently has left, and I have a feeling guys like Trev take it for granted.

Reading some people’s responses that “we are required to give Rhule time” makes me question if they understand our support for the program is a luxury to the program and not a requirement. I love our team and I always will but I don’t owe it anything.

Gonna take at least the next year or two off, depending on which way the program goes. Been an absolute waste of time and money, and it’s not gonna get better soon.

Reactions: huntered
I haven't watched a Nebraska game in 3 years. I might turn it on the radio and listen to it while doing a project but the days of me waisting weekends watching an embarrassingly bad football product year after year.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
Like it. I had planned to get some things done before the game and a young man I hadn't seen for a few years stopped by. I had him as a little kid at church, later in youth group and as a college age adult in Sunday School. He is an engineer now and saw me in the yard and wanted to talk. I turned the game on with no sound and eventually shut the game off. Catching up with him was much more important and I would say, even more rewarding for me. I love my Huskers but not as much as the investment in other's lives. YMMV
Congrats on the sex, Mel. NTTAWWT

I haven't watched a live Huskers game in several years. I always record them, watch at my convenience and skip the commercials. 3 hours of misery down to one.

Last edited:
Stadium will be packed this weekend - fans don’t really care if the football is competent or not they just want a place to congregate on Saturdays to relive the past - the admin is happy to charge them an arm and leg for the privilege

You guys are ****ing weird.

"Do projects" what the heck. "Get some yard work in" yeah, that sounds ****ing amazing.

Every Saturday is special, the game is the conduit for fun with friends. I get it if you have no friends to watch with, that is different.

But if you are in Omaha or Lincoln, enjoy the game BUT even more important, enjoy the fun. I am probably going to Lincoln for the NIU game and I am already excited for the road trip with my friends from Omaha, ripping on each other, telling stories about college and having a road beer (I think that is legal on game day)

Parking in Lincoln and deciding which bar to hit up first, Duffy's or Sandy's, The Bar The Bar, Barry's and so on.

Watch as Lincoln fills up, more and more red, more and more fans, chants of "GOOOOOOo BIIIIIIIG REDDDDDDDDD" getting started and people responding.

We all want wins for sure but the experience is what makes it great.

Stadium will be packed this weekend - fans don’t really care if the football is competent or not they just want a place to congregate on Saturdays to relive the past - the admin is happy to charge them an arm and leg for the privilege
I mean I already paid for all this shit. That's why I'll be there.

You guys are ****ing weird.

"Do projects" what the heck. "Get some yard work in" yeah, that sounds ****ing amazing.

Every Saturday is special, the game is the conduit for fun with friends. I get it if you have no friends to watch with, that is different.

But if you are in Omaha or Lincoln, enjoy the game BUT even more important, enjoy the fun. I am probably going to Lincoln for the NIU game and I am already excited for the road trip with my friends from Omaha, ripping on each other, telling stories about college and having a road beer (I think that is legal on game day)

Parking in Lincoln and deciding which bar to hit up first, Duffy's or Sandy's, The Bar The Bar, Barry's and so on.

Watch as Lincoln fills up, more and more red, more and more fans, chants of "GOOOOOOo BIIIIIIIG REDDDDDDDDD" getting started and people responding.

We all want wins for sure but the experience is what makes it great.

I’m with you on the yard work and getting stuff done around the house. Not sure why anyone would want that. But I’ve actually added more football over the last few years by following some other teams, getting into NFL, high school, etc. It’s been very enlightening and given me some perspective learning there is a lot more to football than just what NU does. Some people around here should give it a try. College football is still great, football is still great. Just because we suck, that doesn’t mean football has to be out of your life.

I’m with you on the yard work and getting stuff done around the house. Not sure why anyone would want that. But I’ve actually added more football over the last few years by following some other teams, getting into NFL, high school, etc. It’s been very enlightening and given me some perspective learning there is a lot more to football than just what NU does. Some people around here should give it a try. College football is still great, football is still great. Just because we suck, that doesn’t mean football has to be out of your life.
You sound single.

NTTAWWT

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
You sound single.

NTTAWWT
Dude, my married friends, especially the ones with kids that are not grown up, are basically serving a sentence for manslaughter.

"Hey want to hit the bars and watch the Husker game? You can't, oh, you have to go to Topeka for select soccer, for your 6 year old daughter...oh you are playing 6 games in two days against other teams from Omaha? So, wait why do you have to drive to Topeka to play teams from Omaha, ohhhh, it is a college showcase event, but, she is 6, right? Okay, anyway...maybe the next game? Oh you will probably be doing yard work, all day, because it will be nice out? Okay, well, see you in 12-16 years"

After decades of dedicating my Saturdays (or others) to Cornhusker football, I decided before this year began to watch the games at the end of the day instead. On my own schedule, no commercials, etc.

So far, it's paid off in a big way. I've been able to enjoy the beautiful weather, get projects down around the house, meet some awesome new people, and really appreciate and be thankful for things in life.

Oh I still hope we win, will cheer on the team, and watch the games but it's not what it used to be.

Peace.

I don’t watch anything live anymore. 100% DVR. Too many commercials.

Reactions: zrob
What is your end goal of providing low grade trolling efforts on a message board about a team you pretend to root for? Has to be almost as exhausting as real fans following our program.

What is your end goal of providing low grade trolling efforts on a message board about a team you pretend to root for? Has to be almost as exhausting as real fans following our program.
A little birdy told me Redbitch and his butt buddy smalltimebooster both got their nuts clipped. For good. Gracias @sklarbodds

Gonna take at least the next year or two off, depending on which way the program goes. Been an absolute waste of time and money, and it’s not gonna get better soon.
Don’t lost hope yet. There are still plenty of games to be played. If we get to 6 wins this year we are starting to turn the corner. But we must have a qb that is more reliable than Sims. He just need to be benched for next two home games. Our defense are capable of allowing us to will some league games. It looks like we will have to wait until Daniel Kaelin to enroll before we have a dependable passing qb. Let’s cheers for the huskers even though we are heart broken from the first two games. Huskers forever. GBR

I've been doing this the past 5 years and it is indeed beautiful, especially here in the Black Hills.

I made the mistake of watching, and drinking, this past Saturday morning. It ruined my entire day.

I won't be fooled again.

Black Hills here I come this Saturday and each Saturday the rest of the season!

Reactions: otismotis08
I'm gonna watch the games live as God intended.
I know there is something in the old testament about living through misery, and understanding God's intent. I'll have to check if it refers to Husker Football and get back to you.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
Don’t lost hope yet. There are still plenty of games to be played. If we get to 6 wins this year we are starting to turn the corner. But we must have a qb that is more reliable than Sims. He just need to be benched for next two home games. Our defense are capable of allowing us to will some league games. It looks like we will have to wait until Daniel Kaelin to enroll before we have a dependable passing qb. Let’s cheers for the huskers even though we are heart broken from the first two games. Huskers forever. GBR
I hope those guys get a chance, for sure.

All Sims has proven is that he lacks the skills to make good decisions with the ball anywhere close to an acceptable % of the time. And our O line isn’t skilled enough to protect him consistently.

Will always be a fan, want nothing more than for our team to be successful, I’m just at least for now done spending my Saturdays watching them and socializing over a depressing event. I’ll record the games and watch them after the fact. Golf game could use some repetition, and have an old car that needs some time restoring.

Am also done giving money to a program that’s been ineffective in EITHER the Talent or Development Dept, and that ain’t gonna change in the next couple years, it seems. The athletic dept needs to change fundamentally if we’re gonna compete in this league.

4 wins max this season.

F5yuFZqawAA1Nlc

Planning to hit up Lincoln this Saturday. Already trying to figure out when we will leave, how many shooters to "sneak" into the game, which beers to buy for the trip from Omaha to Lincoln...

And what bars and/or tailgates we will hit up.

I am already excited and come Saturday I will be geeked up. The most annoying part will be waiting to leave. Lincoln on a Husker game day is magical.

I can't imagine choosing to mow my lawn (also, how big are your freaking lawns that it takes all day to mow) over the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT