ADVERTISEMENT

Tackling

This was the first true offense committed to the run and was a great warm-up game for the B1G. They must have had a tongue-lashing at half-time, as they looked completely different in the second half.
Their net rushing yards were pretty close in all four quarters:

1st quarter - 9 rushes for 32 yards.
2nd quarter - 11 rushes for 39 yards.
3rd quarter - 10 rushes for 37 yards (a sack by Bullock negatively affected their total net yards).
4th quarter - 9 rushes for 31 yards.

I believe Gifford said in the post game interview that they expected UNI to do a lot more power and duo, rather than the outside zones they were running to the perimeter. Said they were trying to play tight instead of playing wide.

Reactions: baseball31ne
We were running quite a few 6 or 7 man boxes and we did just okay considering the opponent.

Also remember we didn't have Butler at all and no Gbayor for a good chunk of the game.

I was most concerned about a lack of pass rush on the many 3rd downs they converted.

Would like to see Princewill on the field in every passing situation. He's our fastest and most fluid pass rusher IMO. Has the hips to one-on-one tackle a mobile QB.

I said this in another thread shortly after the game but I really admired how UNI "dirtied" up our tackling. They had RBs, WRs and TEs chipping at our guys all game long, denying them clean tackles. Combine that with our guys trying too hard initially trying to strip the ball and its a great recipe for YAC. So cudos to UNI for smart strategy and a jerk on the chain to our guys for not wrapping up.

I know he had an interception, but Hartzog hasn't impressed either in the run game or the pass game. Wouldn't bother me in the least if one of the young guys ended up passing him up.

I know he had an interception, but Hartzog hasn't impressed either in the run game or the pass game. Wouldn't bother me in the least if one of the young guys ended up passing him up.
Agree. He was a corner sensation as a freshman but lacks true corner skills. He gets moved to safety and now doesn’t have the run support chops. A true tweeter.

Their net rushing yards were pretty close in all four quarters:

1st quarter - 9 rushes for 32 yards.
2nd quarter - 11 rushes for 39 yards.
3rd quarter - 10 rushes for 37 yards (a sack by Bullock negatively affected their total net yards).
4th quarter - 9 rushes for 31 yards.
Do you know the YAC in the second half vs first half? Maybe that was the improvement.

Reactions: drubendall
Do you know the YAC in the second half vs first half? Maybe that was the improvement.
1st quarter - 26 YAC (4 completions for 30 yards total).
2nd quarter - 19 YAC (5 completions for 57 yards total).
3rd quarter - 0 YAC (1 completion for 8 yards).
4th quarter - 33 YAC (6 completions for 67 yards total).

Reactions: mgbreis
I'm always curious about perception vs reality, so I just went and watched their first drive 10+ minutes and 16 plays resulting in their only points on the day. I counted 6 plays with yards after contact. The second play of the game was probably the worst, with a guy gaining 7 extra yards while we had 3-4 guys trying to pull at the ball instead of tackling him. The others, I didn't really see anything egregious. I only saw 2 flat out missed tackles. One was a guy in space, always hard, and the other was Edwards cutting at the line and Bullock just missed him and it was a 4ish yard gain.

I'm not going to do the whole game, but basically as I rewatched their first drive I was just impressed with the drive UNI put together. Maybe poor tackling is a thing, it's always an emphasis for this staff and I'm sure they're working on it. I'm very impressed we held this team to 3 points.

Tackling is one of those contagious things. These kids know how to tackle but it is easy to get lazy, thinking someone else is going to do it and the next thing you know a bunch of people are standing around grabbing at the ball and no one is wrapping up. You also see it the other way, a guy makes a great hit, especially early in the game and it can really set the tone, both ways. Once they got rolling, it got better but they can't let those lapses last as long as they did. Too much can happen.

Reactions: drubendall
I'm always curious about perception vs reality, so I just went and watched their first drive 10+ minutes and 16 plays resulting in their only points on the day. I counted 6 plays with yards after contact. The second play of the game was probably the worst, with a guy gaining 7 extra yards while we had 3-4 guys trying to pull at the ball instead of tackling him. The others, I didn't really see anything egregious. I only saw 2 flat out missed tackles. One was a guy in space, always hard, and the other was Edwards cutting at the line and Bullock just missed him and it was a 4ish yard gain.

I'm not going to do the whole game, but basically as I rewatched their first drive I was just impressed with the drive UNI put together. Maybe poor tackling is a thing, it's always an emphasis for this staff and I'm sure they're working on it. I'm very impressed we held this team to 3 points.
Gifford had a great tackle in open space that saved what would have been a huge play for UNI.

Though I hate when guys try to strip the ball when the guy still has forward momentum and running upright. This hardly ever actually works.

Reactions: mgbreis
I must be the only guy who thinks this was a good game. Nebraska won 34 to 3. I picked us to win 35 to 14 if I remember correctly.

My only nitpick is that we didn't force a fumble this game. Would love to see 2 forced fumble recoveries and 2 picks a game.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and Laner2
We were running quite a few 6 or 7 man boxes and we did just okay considering the opponent.

Also remember we didn't have Butler at all and no Gbayor for a good chunk of the game.

I was most concerned about a lack of pass rush on the many 3rd downs they converted.

Would like to see Princewill on the field in every passing situation. He's our fastest and most fluid pass rusher IMO. Has the hips to one-on-one tackle a mobile QB.
Somebody who knows football, finally. We were playing two deep the entire game and every time they threw it there was a chance at an int. Their back was bigger than most of our defense, and we weren't bringing alot of mass to the line. The tackling on the corners was bad at times...looked like a lot of guys trying not to get hurt in a meaningless game that should not have been played. In an era where there are 75 teams in the big 10 we should never play a UTEP or and FCS. Lets play a blueblood rival in September...Colorado, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas State and then start the big 75 schedule.

Was poor on Saturday. WAY too many broken tackles by UNI ball carriers. That needs to improve vastly.

Offense was solid. Efficient. I appreciate the commitment to establishing the run.

6'4 240 pound RBs are hard to tackle. Illinois has one with similar size. Those type guys you better gang tackle. We gotta get a lot of people to the ball this week.

Holla

I said this in another thread shortly after the game but I really admired how UNI "dirtied" up our tackling. They had RBs, WRs and TEs chipping at our guys all game long, denying them clean tackles. Combine that with our guys trying too hard initially trying to strip the ball and its a great recipe for YAC. So cudos to UNI for smart strategy and a jerk on the chain to our guys for not wrapping up.

The way their skill guys blocked us is a very underrated part of their success running the ball.

Holla

We missed Jimari in a big way. I hope he's okay. Anybody know if he is playing this week?

I went back and watched the 1st half, keying on the D-line. Nash and Ty absolutely dominated. To no ones surprise though, UNI stayed away from them and were pretty effective at targeting Jimari's replacement. Particularly on that first drive. Cam, Jackson, and J Will all were taken advantage of. Poor tackling, getting washed out, or simply making bad reads.

Credit UNI and be thankful for Jimari's development as we head into conference play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT