ADVERTISEMENT

T. O and Devaney years spoiled NU fans

What I think is amazing about TO's record is he did it with various changes along the way. Passing game, running QB, power game, changed D. The list goes on.

Every coach since he left has had access to him and his brilliance along with many of his faithful assistants. Rhule has tapped him for many things apparently and no matter how much they hear and try to emulate that success, they cannot. I have said it before, the success is in his mind, not in just implementing his plays.

initially spoiled - now all the old timers just use those years as a crutch - instead of any real pressure from the old timers to actually be better than Iowa or Wisconsin or Kansas State they just excuse our current level of incompetence by pointing out that we were once pretty good a quarter of a century ago

The old fans are poison to the current program and an obstacle to returning to any level of greatness as displayed by letting Frost bury this program deeper and deeper in years 4 and 5 because he was their boy and a reminder of the good ole days

initially spoiled - now all the old timers just use those years as a crutch - instead of any real pressure from the old timers to actually be better than Iowa or Wisconsin or Kansas State they just excuse our current level of incompetence by pointing out that we were once pretty good a quarter of a century ago

The old fans are poison to the current program and an obstacle to returning to any level of greatness as displayed by letting Frost bury this program deeper and deeper in years 4 and 5 because he was their boy and a reminder of the good ole days
Ffs. More baseless ageism.

I know plenty of older fans who wanted frost gone before he was let go. My boomer father didnt even want him hired and disliked him the whole time. An older guy i live by who travels to every game and has since like 92 wanted him gone after the covid fiasco.
There was a mix of ages wanting to stick with him. Quit making things up in your mind.

We were definitely spoiled back then and I'm not even sure we've learned anything, even after being irrelevant all these years.

If we were to achieve an 11-2 season I think we'd quickly return to overreacting to the 2 losses rather than celebrating the 11 wins. Much like Ohio State this year.

What I think is amazing about TO's record is he did it with various changes along the way. Passing game, running QB, power game, changed D. The list goes on.

Every coach since he left has had access to him and his brilliance along with many of his faithful assistants. Rhule has tapped him for many things apparently and no matter how much they hear and try to emulate that success, they cannot. I have said it before, the success is in his mind, not in just implementing his plays.
Tom was always 2 play calls ahead of the game. He was a master at setting up defenses.

I am an old timer and I felt being in the big eight definitely was a big benefit because it was usually Nebraska and Oklahoma and another team race for the title. I used to watch other top teams play and try to figure out if we could beat them. Bowl games weren't always kind to us. I'm not sure what to think going forward with NIL and the transfer portal. I would hate to be a coach and not only dealing players attitudes and the ability to just move on. I always think about the quote " no I in team" and to think what the mindset must be in the lockerroom. I think you're maybe a little too tough on the older generation, but that's my .02.

Great coach. Possibly the best ever. My only criticism, and admittedly it is nitpicking, is that he wasn’t much of a mentor when it came to coaching.
No coaching tree whatsoever to speak of.
We hired a disciple of Joe Paterno (Satan himself) because our own messiah has no disciples.
That kind of bums me out

Reactions: bama_husker
I'm just glad the dumbass fans didn't run him off to Colorado before he won his 3 National titles. Would have at least one or two more if he hung around a few more years. 99 for sure.
It's the same dumbass fans who are big softies today. It's called having a reactionary mindset.

Grew up during TO's coaching career. Speaking for myself, I was absolutely spoiled, thought the sun would not rise after a loss. Now I'm a big baby, usually give up at halftime.

Take a long hike with this crap the old fans are poison to the current program a bunch of malarkey…

Ffs. More baseless ageism.

I know plenty of older fans who wanted frost gone before he was let go. My boomer father didnt even want him hired and disliked him the whole time. An older guy i live by who travels to every game and has since like 92 wanted him gone after the covid fiasco.
There was a mix of ages wanting to stick with him. Quit making things up in your mind.
He's either a recycled or a troll... Or both.

Great coach. Possibly the best ever. My only criticism, and admittedly it is nitpicking, is that he wasn’t much of a mentor when it came to coaching.
We hired a disciple of Joe Paterno (Satan himself) because our own messiah has no disciples.
That kind of bums me out
Craig Bohl at NDSU.

You mean the guy who has zero mountain west titles and a career .500 record at Wyoming and has never been a serious candidate for any power 5 job

Thank you for proving my point
Look, son. When your mom and dad were busy...

Family Mom GIF by South Park

Warren Powers, Turner Gill, Monte Kiffin, Frank Solich just off the top of my head. Probably more.

Though none were Great head coaches, they nonetheless were Osborne assistants who became head coaches.

Reactions: scarletred
Warren Powers, Turner Gill, Monte Kiffin, Frank Solich just off the top of my head. Probably more.

Though none were Great head coaches, they nonetheless were Osborne assistants who became head coaches.
Jim Walden is another that comes to mind, but he was a Devaney assistant..

Reactions: SickOfPractice

Old Timers? You stated in another thread that you were handed the bag of Tacos that Switzer brought to Devaney in 1980. That timeline sure as hell doesn't make you a young gun by any means.

And what pressure are you putting on the football program? Are you threatening not to donate your $20 a year anymore? You're nothing more than a retread that's been booted off this message board before, and most likely it will happen again.

So, help me get this straight, any "old timers" whoever that is are the problem? As you say, we are "poison" and we "let" Frost bury the program further, which I find totally amusing. This why I sometimes come to this board, just to get a good chuckle.

Reactions: Bugeater

I think the main thing we all know, young and old.
is if one desireth to be pass happy, one must acquire a armed qb.
this is the main take away from 2 decades of wilderness

Reactions: countrybob
That kind of bums me out
wut?

Frank Solich (future MAC HoFer and last coach to win a conference title at NU) was a TO disciple and Frost played for TO.

we've had 6 coaches since TO left, and 33% of them have him to thank for their entire careers

wut?

Frank Solich (future MAC HoFer and last coach to win a conference title at NU) was a TO disciple and Frost played for TO.

we've had 5 coaches since TO left, and 40% of them have him to thank for their entire careers
I was referring only to good coaches - not false prophets

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT