ADVERTISEMENT

Stolen from Reddit

RedMyMind

Head Coach
Aug 22, 2017
HentaiHerbie

Chasing 3 - Dylan doesn't have to be good, he just has to not suck​

Maybe expectations are something that we can think about in a rational way. It is surprising to me that expectations and hype feel very moderated around the Huskersphere, especially compared to some periods in the Scott Frost era. This is probably healthy, but at the same time, I think people need to remember that Matt Rhule matched Scott Frost's best record in season one behind some of the worst QB play that a terrible QB school has ever had to endure. Plus 5-star Dylan Raiola is coming in despite Scott Frost's best efforts to keep him away from Lincoln.

Dylan doesn't have to be great, he just has to not suck​

All offseason, Nebraska has been putting out content that they are Chasing 3 in reference to their 5 losses by one score (stop me if you have heard this one before). But does anyone remember just what level those quarterbacks (none of whom will be starting in college this year despite eligibility) played at last year in those #onescorelosses? Let's look:

Minnesota: L 10-13​

• Jeff Simms
  • 11 Comp, 19 Att, 114 yards (57.9%)
  • 1 TD, 3 INT, 3 Sacks
  • 94.1 QBR

Michigan State: L 17-20​

• Heinrich Haarberg
  • 12 Comp, 28 Att, 129 yards (42.9%)
  • 0 TD, 2 INT, 7 Sacks
  • 67.3 QBR

Maryland: L 10-13​

• Jeff Simms, Chubba Purdy, Heinrich Haarberg
  • 10 Comp, 21 Att, 86 yards (47.6%)
  • 0 TD, 4 INT, 1 Sacks
  • 67.3 QBR

Wisconsin: L 17-24 (OT)​

• Chubba Purdy
  • 15 Comp, 24 Att, 169 yards (62.5%)
  • 1 TD, 1 INT, 2 Sacks
  • 127.1 QBR

Iowa: L 10-13​

• Chubba Purdy
  • 15 Comp, 28 Att, 189 yards (53.6%)
  • 1 TD, 1 INT, 3 Sacks
  • 114.9 QBR

One Score Losses Averages:​

• 12.6 Comp, 24.0 Att, 137.4 yards (52.5%)
  • 0.6 TD, 2.2 INT, 3.2 Sacks
  • 90.5 QBR

So like those don't seem great, but how bad are they?​

So like I said, Dylan doesn't have to be great, he just has to not suck. For comparison across the whole 2023 CFB season, here is where the Nebraska QB room would have ranked nationally:
  • Completion %: 122nd (their actual ranking!)
  • Passing Yards: 127th (actually better than their season long ranking and average!)
  • Yards/Attempt: 127th
  • QBR: 134th (there were only 133 teams)
So what would dead average look like?
  • Dylan Raiola
  • 19.1 Comp, 31.4 Att, 221.6 yards (60.81%)
  • 2.0 TD, 0.8 INT, 2.0 Sacks
  • 133.6 QBR
In short, he does not have to be a hero day one, and I think it is important that we all keep that in mind. I think he will be amazing, but there will be some roadbumps.

HentaiHerbie

Maybe expectations are something that we can think about in a rational way. It is surprising to me that expectations and hype feel very moderated around the Huskersphere, especially compared to some periods in the Scott Frost era. This is probably healthy, but at the same time, I think people need to remember that Matt Rhule matched Scott Frost's best record in season one behind some of the worst QB play that a terrible QB school has ever had to endure. Plus 5-star Dylan Raiola is coming in despite Scott Frost's best efforts to keep him away from Lincoln.

All offseason, Nebraska has been putting out content that they are Chasing 3 in reference to their 5 losses by one score (stop me if you have heard this one before). But does anyone remember just what level those quarterbacks (none of whom will be starting in college this year despite eligibility) played at last year in those #onescorelosses? Let's look:

• Jeff Simms
  • 1 TD, 3 INT, 3 Sacks
  • 94.1 QBR

• Heinrich Haarberg
  • 0 TD, 2 INT, 7 Sacks
  • 67.3 QBR

• 0 TD, 4 INT, 1 Sacks
  • 67.3 QBR

• Chubba Purdy
  • 1 TD, 1 INT, 2 Sacks
  • 127.1 QBR

• Chubba Purdy
  • 1 TD, 1 INT, 3 Sacks
  • 114.9 QBR

• 90.5 QBR

So like I said, Dylan doesn't have to be great, he just has to not suck. For comparison across the whole 2023 CFB season, here is where the Nebraska QB room would have ranked nationally:
  • Passing Yards: 127th (actually better than their season long ranking and average!)
  • Dylan Raiola
  • 133.6 QBR
In short, he does not have to be a hero day one, and I think it is important that we all keep that in mind. I think he will be amazing, but there will be some roadbumps.

Throw the 5-Star ranking out the window already. True, he doesn't have to be the hero, but Huskers have to have 8 games of 220+ rushing yards per game.

I want the "HERO" to be a Nebraska tailback, not the QB.

Last edited:
Family Guy Reaction GIF

I had almost forgot how bad it was…0

HentaiHerbie

• Jeff Simms
  • 1 TD, 3 INT, 3 Sacks
  • 94.1 QBR

• Heinrich Haarberg
  • 0 TD, 2 INT, 7 Sacks
  • 67.3 QBR

• 0 TD, 4 INT, 1 Sacks
  • 67.3 QBR

• Chubba Purdy
  • 1 TD, 1 INT, 2 Sacks
  • 127.1 QBR

• Chubba Purdy
  • 1 TD, 1 INT, 3 Sacks
  • 114.9 QBR

• 90.5 QBR

• Dylan Raiola
  • 133.6 QBR
Great post. 👍

Through the 5-Star ranking out the window already. True, he doesn't have to be the hero, but Huskers have to have 8 games of 220+ rushing yards per game.

I want the "HERO" to be a Nebraska tailback, not t

Gotta have a passing game these days to have a "hero" tailback.
Haynes King from Georgia Tech would disagree. They got 190 on the ground, but 5.2 yards per carry was the key to the game. Amen.

Haynes King
team

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
11/161469.10069.7

Yep. Painfully obvious.

However, this assumes all else will be equal, especially on the schedule and on defense.

Let’s hope we can maintain or improve there and improve on special teams at a rate >> than our competition.

There are very few, if any, teams in the country with a wider spectrum of possible outcomes than us this year.

We could go 10-2 led by the #1 pick in 2027 or 4-8 and needing to find a QB again in the offseason.

Throw the 5-Star ranking out the window already. True, he doesn't have to be the hero, but Huskers have to have 8 games of 220+ rushing yards per game.

Ohio State had Kyle McCord at QB (who didn't come here because of DR), had zero games of 220+ rushing and went 11-2
Oregon with Bo Nix had four games of 220+ (2 against P5) and went 12-2
Penn State with Drew Allar had 4 games of 220+ (2 against P5) and went 10-3
Michigan with JJ McCarthy had 3 games 220+ and went 15-0
Iowa with some stiff at QB had 1 game of 220+ (none against P5) and went 10-4
Washington with M Penix had one game of 220+ rushing and went 14-1.

These are all the current B10 teams that won 10 or more last year.
This isn't 1990's Nebraska anymore, and I don't want it to be.

Clemson, Alabama, and LSU won their recent national championships in large part because of their hero QB/WR combinations.

This isn’t the 90s anymore, if your guy isnt good enough to be taking snaps on Sunday, you’re never gonna eclipse Pelini/Ferentz success

RB is a dying position relegated to guys who are too short/slow to play WR, and too short/stupid to play QB

Reactions: BleedRed78
HentaiHerbie

• Jeff Simms
  • 1 TD, 3 INT, 3 Sacks
  • 94.1 QBR

• Heinrich Haarberg
  • 0 TD, 2 INT, 7 Sacks
  • 67.3 QBR

• 0 TD, 4 INT, 1 Sacks
  • 67.3 QBR

• Chubba Purdy
  • 1 TD, 1 INT, 2 Sacks
  • 127.1 QBR

• Chubba Purdy
  • 1 TD, 1 INT, 3 Sacks
  • 114.9 QBR

• 90.5 QBR

• Dylan Raiola
  • 133.6 QBR

That absolutely would've been the case LAST YEAR. However this is a different year playing different teams with different players so that kinda changes. Would be nice if that was the case this year because I'm sure he won't suck lol. But until it kicks off we don't know what we will need from him.

For me I want him to have the ability to "play catch" with our WRs/TEs, don't turn it over. To steal a Mike Tomlin quote " make the routine plays routinely". That would be enough for me this year.

Holla

Gotta have a passing game these days to have a "hero" tailback.
I understand your thought process, but you need an O-line with a nasty deposition to run the ball effectively. Running the ball is a mindset. You have to believe you can, and you need to instill your will on the opposition. The pass can help the run game, but you will fail unless your O-line doesn't possess the correct mindset. You have to be able to run the ball when everyone knows you are going to run the ball.

I understand your thought process, but you need an O-line with a nasty deposition to run the ball effectively. Running the ball is a mindset. You have to believe you can, and you need to instill your will on the opposition. The pass can help the run game, but you will fail unless your O-line doesn't possess the correct mindset. You have to be able to run the ball when everyone knows you are going to run the ball.
That works against the blind schools but rarely anyone else

Reactions: BleedRed78
That works against the blind schools but rarely anyone else
Look at the teams from every level of football and track the teams that can run the ball at will, and they win many championships. It is mostly not because the quarterback throws the ball to open the running game. It is teams that run when they want and when everyone expects them to. It is the offensive line that determines the success and failure of running. What has brought NDSU 9 rings in 13 years?

The O-line this year has 4 starting Sr's and a Soph. This is the first time in years the O-line has this many Sr's starting. This is what the difference will be this year. The offensive line will determine the success of the running game, not the QB.

Reactions: drubendall
Look at the teams from every level of football and track the teams that can run the ball at will, and they win many championships. It is mostly not because the quarterback throws the ball to open the running game. It is teams that run when they want and when everyone expects them to. It is the offensive line that determines the success and failure of running. What has brought NDSU 9 rings in 13 years?

The O-line this year has 4 starting Sr's and a Soph. This is the first time in years the O-line has this many Sr's starting. This is what the difference will be this year. The offensive line will determine the success of the running game, not the QB.
If all you need is a great O line and RB, why don't more teams just go that route and say to hell with having a good QB?

If all you need is a great O line and RB, why don't more teams just go that route and say to hell with having a good QB?
Never said you didn't need a good QB, I said you need an O-Line that road grades the defenses. A good QB will benefit from the run game, not the other way around. Any good defense will shut down a passing attack, but when an offense wears down the defense running the ball, it is game over. G5 programs with pass-happy offenses will win against inferior talent, but when they go against good defenses, they lose the majority of the time. Ben Roethlisberger had career years when they effectively ran the ball, not the other around.

No NFL teams run at will. I'm sure the Chiefs are planing on trading Mahomes for some top running backs and OL to win the next Super Bowl. Look for recent top FBS teams that run for 350 and pass for 150. It's not a thing any more. I guess we should move to FCS and try to relive the TO glory days.

I'm the biggest run the ball guy here. I think Frost should have pulled the plug on his HuskerDuck approach and use the 97 playbook with Martinez.

You don't land a generational talent like Raoila and not use him. As fast and accurate as he gets the ball out to the flats and can kill defenses over the top will only make our running game much more dangerous.

Reactions: RedMyMind
No NFL teams run at will. I'm sure the Chiefs are planing on trading Mahomes for some top running backs and OL to win the next Super Bowl. Look for recent top FBS teams that run for 350 and pass for 150. It's not a thing any more. I guess we should move to FCS and try to relive the TO glory days.
the NFL and college football are not the same sport, as has been discussed ad nauseam on this board

the teams that run the ball at will in college football win national titles

michigan, UGA, UGA - all ran it down opponent's throats even when they knew what was coming

are people's memories really this bad?

We were second in the conference in rush ypg last season with teams putting 8 to 9 men in the box. Defenses won't be able to do that anymore. When they do Rhule will have Raoila find our sleuth of speedsters over the top.

People need to realize our offense was just fixed over night with the signing of Raoila, much like our defense was fixed overnight last season.

the NFL and college football are not the same sport, as has been discussed ad nauseam on this board

michigan, UGA, UGA - all ran it down opponent's throats even when they knew what was coming

He said running was important at every level. As you go down in level, running becomes more important, but the best college teams today usually have NFL level QB's. MIchigan ran for 170 per game and passed for 215. That's a balanced offense that could both run and pass well.

He said running was important at every level. As you go down in level, running becomes more important, but the best college teams today usually have NFL level QB's. MIchigan ran for 170 per game and passed for 215. That's a balanced offense that could both run and pass well.
michigan ran the ball on 61% of offensive snaps last year.

they weren't balanced. they were extremely run heavy.

Never said you didn't need a good QB, I said you need an O-Line that road grades the defenses. A good QB will benefit from the run game, not the other way around. Any good defense will shut down a passing attack, but when an offense wears down the defense running the ball, it is game over. G5 programs with pass-happy offenses will win against inferior talent, but when they go against good defenses, they lose the majority of the time. Ben Roethlisberger had career years when they effectively ran the ball, not the other around.
Run game compliments the passing game and vice versa.

michigan ran the ball on 61% of offensive snaps last year.

they weren't balanced. they were extremely run heavy.
Other than the second half against Penn State, they were never really "extremely" run heavy. 61% is practically balanced

Other than the second half against Penn State, they were never really "extremely" run heavy. 61% is practically balanced
they ran the ball on 66.7% of their plays in the National Championship game

only 17 (out of 133) teams in the entire country threw the ball less than michigan did last year

they ran the ball on 66.7% of their plays in the National Championship game

only 17 (out of 133) teams in the entire country threw the ball less than michigan did last year
because they had a passing threat to open things up. He's not Dennard Robinson.

1Liberty1467041066.133947.86293.29
2Air Force1371936605.093655.31281.54
3Jacksonville State1364730774.763549.77236.69
4West Virginia1356529765.273243.46228.92
5UCF1352929675.612840.69228.23
6Cincinnati1251726055.041443.08217.08
7Boise State1456030085.373440.00214.86
8Army1257424964.351947.83208.00
9Kansas1349926785.373238.38206.00
10Tennessee1348926635.452337.62204.85
11LSU1343026596.183433.08204.54
12Kansas State1353326534.983241.00204.08
13Georgia Tech1349226495.382437.85203.77
14Boston College1354725844.722542.08198.77
15New Mexico State1552529805.682235.00198.67
16Toledo1452427805.313137.43198.57
17UCLA1352725734.882140.54197.92
18Navy1254823354.261645.67194.58
19New Mexico1244023125.252636.67192.67
39Nebraska1247821224.441639.83176.83
55Michigan1556325364.504037.53169.07

You were saying??

I think the formula is to have enough of a running game to keep drives going and to keep the defense honest. Pretty much every NFL quarterback struggles win when he doesn’t have a competent running attack to complement the pass. there’s been a little bit of evolution the last few years where short passes substitute for running the ball.

I like a good attacking running game that demoralizes a defense and makes big plays.

Reactions: king_kong_
Reddit in general is pure toxic cancer. Hive-minded echo chamber of basement-dwelling DYELs puffing their chests out
I f*cking love Reddit personally. Last bastion of the real internet aside from boards like this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT