ADVERTISEMENT

Stille turns down Blackshirt

About the blackshirt tradition?

The coach sets the standard. If the coach awards a scholarship, the player doesn't get to say nope, I need to pay for my education this week because I didn't give my best effort in the classroom. Accept the acknowledgement and award and get on with it. Don't make yourself bigger than the tradition.
So you're saying this player is selfish? How about the players that quit on their team a week before the season and during the season?

Stille is a starter. He is a Blackshirt. Whether he should be to me is a better question. Starter is what I am questioning. Is he the starter because he is the best player at the position or for other reasons or motivations?

The coaches feel that a certain standard of play is more important in rewarding a blackshirt than who is starting and who is not. I'm totally okay with that. I think it makes more sense, and if it's not the way the tradition started, it's the way it should become.

This is a message board. Don't discourage discussion because Scott Frost chooses do something. You think that I believe I have some way of influencing Scott Frost by posting on a message board? It was stupid when Pelini did it and it's stupid when Scott Frost does it. I won't lose any sleep, but will feel just fine stating my opinion on a message board.
If you want to be a dick, that’s fine. I suggested maybe Frost was trying something different. That’s all. But you wouldn’t even consider that. Its a stupid gimmick. That’s fine if you feel that way. But your opinion is evidently better than mine?

Whatever.

No. It's a gimmick. Motivation is earning the starting position and keeping it.
I would only disagree with part of this.. I believe this staff is trying to INSPIRE a culture and an attitude which outlasts motivation any day of the week.. motivation is temporary but if you can inspire someone well thats a lifetime change imho

If you want to be a dick, that’s fine. I suggested maybe Frost was trying something different. That’s all. But you wouldn’t even consider that. Its a stupid gimmick. That’s fine if you feel that way. But your opinion is evidently better than mine?

Whatever.

I said my opinion and you said don't have an opinion because Scott Frost.

Ok. Again, whatever. I agreed that this wasn’t the tradition, and suggested that they were trying something different. Where did I say you don’t have an opinion?

Seriously, I don’t get it...

For future reference, when you see the words “if” and “maybe” in someone’s post, as I had in my post, that is a sign that the post is merely someone’s opinion, and not “Scott Frost.”

Apologies for offering a different opinion… I didn’t know yours was the only right one.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Do we even know what blackshirts are? You’re a starter so in the traditional sense so you’re a blackshirt. When did it become an award? I always thought by wanting that blackshirt you wanted the starting role. These days we seem to have all sorts of requirements for deserving a blackshirt..
Very true. We all know the history. It was a practice jersey for D starters. Nothing more. Over time it has morphed into this symbol that apparently only the best of the best deserve. I am assuming much of this comes from the Jason Peter/ Grant Wistrom types players. Not saying the high standard is a bad thing to have. It isn't at all. It is a great mentality to have. Since many seem to never want to change anything from our past. If we are keeping with those standards for everything. A black shirt should be given to D starters and that is probably the end of it.

For future reference, when you see the words “if” and “maybe” in someone’s post, as I had in my post, that is a sign that the post is merely someone’s opinion, and not “Scott Frost.”

Apologies for offering a different opinion… I didn’t know yours was the only right one.

I realize that I'm not going to have an affect on this or any other football related issue at NU. I understand that you don't have a problem with this and I respect your opinion. I don't have a problem with you. I just don't like anyone telling me that I have to agree with a decision that our coaches make because they are smarter, know better or there's nothing you can do about it.

I realize that I'm not going to have an affect on this or any other football related issue at NU. I understand that you don't have a problem with this and I respect your opinion. I don't have a problem with you. I just don't like anyone telling me that I have to agree with a decision that our coaches make because they are smarter, know better or there's nothing you can do about it.
I don’t have a problem with you either. Generally have always agreed with your posts. However, I didn’t lead with that at all. I wasn’t telling you to agree with it. I was offering it as a differing opinion, that the coaches were tweaking the tradition, for what they thought was better.

Next year they may return it to the old tradition, who knows? Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Edit: my follow up post was absolutely what you described. Again, apologies.

Reactions: bigboxes
This is a message board. Don't discourage discussion because Scott Frost chooses do something. You think that I believe I have some way of influencing Scott Frost by posting on a message board? It was stupid when Pelini did it and it's stupid when Scott Frost does it. I won't lose any sleep, but will feel just fine stating my opinion on a message board.
It's probably too late to petition for a measure to be on the ballot that Blackshirts be handed out to all starters. Maybe next year.

Black Shirts, more like Black Squirts. Stille did the right thing. We're ranked 112th in the nation, giving up 450 yards per game.

2017 - 102nd
2016 - 21st
2015 - 71st
2014 - 48th

Seems we are running backwards...naked through the cornfields.

We are bad but numbers do not speak to context...the 2016 team played some very bad offenses...Colorado, Wisky, Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan, even minnesota are decent offenses. Minnie put 450 on OSU. We didn't get a team like akron to tune up...I imagine after Bethune, Illinois, Michigan state we will be similar to the 2015 defense.

Pretty impressive. I'm sure it's happened before but not that I've heard of.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs...cle_f54e6781-177c-5b59-b32e-46b37c81b12f.html
Stille’s refusal to take the Black Shirt is a sign of a true leader. Whether he meant to or not, in this one action he said to everyone on the team that he was committed to a higher standard and he had not yet performed at that level. His act is that of a true leader and it will make everyone examine their own commitments to achieve excellence. In the end, I think it will raise everyone’s performance. In one selfless act, Stille personified what Frost has been working to achieve over the past 10 months; to love the team, to love the game and to focus yourself on achieving higher levels of performance.

I have highly respect for his decision...

He is only one who understand and know what Blackshirts football supposed to be! It's time for him to step up and be leader as Blackshirts defense team!

Native Ashland, Nebraska Boy!

Very true. We all know the history. It was a practice jersey for D starters. Nothing more. Over time it has morphed into this symbol that apparently only the best of the best deserve. I am assuming much of this comes from the Jason Peter/ Grant Wistrom types players. Not saying the high standard is a bad thing to have. It isn't at all. It is a great mentality to have. Since many seem to never want to change anything from our past. If we are keeping with those standards for everything. A black shirt should be given to D starters and that is probably the end of it.
I don't think Jason Peter or Grant Wistrom had anything to do with it. With the success of our D over the years, the blackshirt tradition was always going to morph into something other than just the 11 starters. The only way the original blackshirt tradition could have been seved is if we had a crappy defense during the Osborne years. Through the Osborne years the term Blackshirt became more synonymous with performance and a high standard of excellence rather than just the starting 11 on the Nebraska football team.

We are bad but numbers do not speak to context...the 2016 team played some very bad offenses...Colorado, Wisky, Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan, even minnesota are decent offenses. Minnie put 450 on OSU. We didn't get a team like akron to tune up...I imagine after Bethune, Illinois, Michigan state we will be similar to the 2015 defense.

Which is why my metric that shows how Nebraska did vs an opponent and is compared to how the rest of that team’s opponents did is a better tool. It takes away this exact argument.

I have a free period around lunch time. I’ll see if I can get 2016 season plugged in and posted.

I don't think Jason Peter or Grant Wistrom had anything to do with it. With the success of our D over the years, the blackshirt tradition was always going to morph into something other than just the 11 starters. The only way the original blackshirt tradition could have been seved is if we had a crappy defense during the Osborne years. Through the Osborne years the term Blackshirt became more synonymous with performance and a high standard of excellence rather than just the starting 11 on the Nebraska football team.

Up until the mid 90s the Nebraska defenses feasted on the poor and were exposed by really great teams. Especially those teams with lots of speed. When Nebraska finally broke through, beat Miami, destroyed Florida and were able to beat teams with elite speed that is when the blackshirt tradition started to change. So while it may be indirect, Peter and Wistrom and the rest of the players on those mid 90’s teams are responsible. You don’t here and didn’t hear players from the 70s 80s talking much about blackshirt standards or a minimum standard to be a blackshirt That didn’t start happening until the team started to decline.

Last edited:
Didn’t one of the early 90s teams lose their blackshirts for a game or something like that? After a bad loss to Colorado maybe? Something like that...

Wait, I thought a black shirt just meant a starter? Kinda ruins tradition when online posters put non tangible standards on it then!
Pretty sure online posters aren’t the ones changing that tradition you speak of...

Which is why my metric that shows how Nebraska did vs an opponent and is compared to how the rest of that team’s opponents did is a better tool. It takes away this exact argument.

I have a free period around lunch time. I’ll see if I can get 2016 season plugged in and posted.

Again for those that didn't see this on other threads. I created a spreadsheet where I take the number of yards Nebraska allowed against an opponent, then compare that to the average number of yards allowed by the rest of that team's opponents.

Here are the Nebraska numbers for 2016

Fresno rush 25.06% pass 115.56% total 82.04%
Wyoming rush 62.18% pass 81.44% total 72.27%
Oregon rush 155.56% pass 52.93% total 97.79%
Northwestern rush 88.77% pass 102.66% total 97.28%
Illinois rush 87.66% pass 82.19% total 84.62%
Indiana rush 55.93% pass 88.63% total 76.77%
Purdue rush 23.40% pass 105.20% total 84.03%
Wisconsin rush 110.69% pass 61.96% total 87.43%
Ohio St rush 96.91% pass 173.83% total 131.67%
Minn rush 44.46% pass 103.75% total 72.67%
maryland rush 5.12% pass 111.05% total 52.92%
Iowa rush 161.72% pass 93.66% total 128.27%
Tennessee rush 113.35% pass 124.58% total 119.36%

So while the offenses Nebraska faced in 2016 may not have been world beaters, Nebraska allowed less than the opponent's average in 25 of 39 measurements. In total yards, Nebraska held the opponent to below their average in 10 of 13 games, Ohio St, Iowa and Tennessee were the only opponents to gain more yards against Nebraska than the average of the rest of their opponents.

"Black Shirts, more like Black Squirts. Stille did the right thing. We're ranked 112th in the nation, giving up 450 yards per game."

Not to mention that Blackshirts is one word.

Whoa, whoa. Slow down. You're talking at a college level and these trolls are operating with a middle school toolset.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them literally are in middle school.

So you're saying this player is selfish? How about the players that quit on their team a week before the season and during the season?
Personally, I would say Stille should take the shirt and then play to its standards. However, your point about selfishness is well taken. A number of folks backed the players that left the program and then call the ones gutting it out here selfish. That seems kind of nutty.

Reactions: oldjar07
Personally, I would say Stille should take the shirt and then play to its standards. However, your point about selfishness is well taken. A number of folks backed the players that left the program and then call the ones gutting it out here selfish. That seems kind of nutty.

Wrong. I, for one, and most of the others that "backed the player that left the program" didn't really back the player. I, and others, backed their right to leave the program. Much like the helmet law discussion a week or so ago. I can ride without a helmet. I have that right in many states and I will argue to the death that I should be allowed that right. It doesn't mean that I should ride without or that I do ride without, just that I have the right to ride without.

And since he replied to me about the player being selfish, I already answered that in another post.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. Kid felt like he could do better, do more to be deserving, and in a way, that's a leadership thing right there. It tells you the culture is changing for the better.

It doesn't need to be made into something more than that.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. Kid felt like he could do better, do more to be deserving, and in a way, that's a leadership thing right there. It tells you the culture is changing for the better.

It doesn't need to be made into something more than that.

No it tells me that Stille is trying too hard to show that he is buying in. If he has a great week of practice in shorts and shells and dominates Bethune Cookman is he going to put it on? If he has a great week of practice next week and the team gets blown out by Ohio St, will he put it on?

No it tells me that Stille is trying too hard to show that he is buying in. If he has a great week of practice in shorts and shells and dominates Bethune Cookman is he going to put it on? If he has a great week of practice next week and the team gets blown out by Ohio St, will he put it on?
Ok, so you only have a problem with kids who try too hard... Quitting is okay though, got it.

Black Shirts, more like Black Squirts. Stille did the right thing. We're ranked 112th in the nation, giving up 450 yards per game.

2017 - 102nd
2016 - 21st
2015 - 71st
2014 - 48th

Seems we are running backwards...naked through the cornfields.

You told me you were a Husker fan. Do you understand what a Jah Broni is? Or are you a basement rapper?

Are you a hard man without a singular loyalty that is upholding the integrity of his team by attacking the Huskers?

You have insulted yourself by your own name. You're ignorant.

Ok, so you only have a problem with kids who try too hard... Quitting is okay though, got it.

I’m not saying Stille doesn’t have the right to do this. I just think it’s somewhat pointless, as it serves no point for the future. The shirt is hanging in his locker and now he has backed himself into a corner. When does he put it on? Does he ever? What if he doesn’t ever put it on? Does he just need it in his locker for self motivation? Is he really affecting culture if everyone else who is offered a blackshirt accepts it? If no one else leaves the shirt hanging in the locker is he really leading?

The players that chose to leave have a right to leave. They didn’t violate any rules. They made a decision that was best for them. They left because the fit at Nebraska wasn’t good for them and they weren’t going to play much here.

Unless you are trying real hard to win at messaging boarding, the two issues are not at all related.

You told me you were a Husker fan. Do you understand what a Jah Broni is? Or are you a basement rapper?

Are you a hard man without a singular loyalty that is upholding the integrity of his team by attacking the Huskers?

You have insulted yourself by your own name. You're ignorant.
Those are rap battling words. I dropped my kid off at school this morning and had to rap battle his bus driver. That fool just looked stupid and didn't even try to have a comeback. Like a woman's menstruation, I bleed Red. GBR. We'll get this team back winning 9 games again, soon enough.

Somehow, in this thread, I think it's you that is trying too hard.

Those are rap battling words. I dropped my kid off at school this morning and had to rap battle his bus driver. That fool just looked stupid and didn't even try to have a comeback. Like a woman's menstruation, I bleed Red. GBR. We'll get this team back winning 9 games again, soon enough.
This made me laugh. You dropped him off at school and rap battled his bus driver.

Do you ride the bus with him? Are you the bus driver and rap battled yourself? Because you menstruate, are you the boy’s mother?

So many questions...

This made me laugh. You dropped him off at school and rap battled his bus driver.

Do you ride the bus with him? Are you the bus driver and rap battled yourself? Because you menstruate, are you the boy’s mother?

So many questions...
The bus driver took off because my boy was "late." Hommie don't play like that.

Guess I look at this a little different. Getting a Blackshirt means you are a starter. To me Stille is saying he is not good enough to be a starter. Whether he is or is not is not the discussion here. When Bowman turned down his Blackshirt he said the defense had work to do to meet blackshirts standard. Compare that to what Stille said. This is a team. Stille to me is saying he chooses the standard on which he thinks is necessary to be part of this team not the coach who included him.

Could his move be symbolic and motivate others? It could but really to me Stille is saying his opinion of his play is not good enough to be a starter. Maybe he is right. No doubt he cares and the effort is there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT