ADVERTISEMENT

"Statement from Mike Riley"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree the case has zero shot, but the university needs to do a cost analysis on how much it will cost to fight, and the intangible of how this dragging through court for years will tarnish the university. They may pay just to get her off their back.
Which is precisely why this attorney filed it; they are counting on getting paid to go away.

Title IX reports to a campus coordinator are entirely different than police reports. The guilt requirements are also much different. 50 + a feather's percent more is guilt under Title IX and they are not allowed to render a 'we don't know' decision on reports. Title IX reports to a campus coordinator do not depend on campus occurrence. There is no geography for Title IX.

I understand that Title IX doesn't have geography bounds. My post was more that the guy allegedly raping the girl was not a student at OSU. So I don't see how OSU is responsible. If it happened on campus, it would shift responsibility back to OSU, but it was off campus. According to the article it was a cousin of a football player. It doesn't mean a university is responsible for all family members of students who attend their school.

Reactions: arf_man
WTH is that all about? Complaint from 1999? From who? Towards who?

Geez, 16 years ago? That's going to be a hard case to make. If I'm OSU, I'd be in favor of going to court just on principle. I'd also like to see our courts adopt English Rules. It would cut way down on frivolous lawsuits.

Reactions: TheNewNU
MR is squeaky clean.
I would prefer to say that Mike Riley has learned his lessons along the way. He did make some really bad decisions in the Brenda Tracy case and admitted as much. He has even been willing to bring in Tracy to speak to his teams.

It appears to have made Riley more vigilant in taking a hard line on these kinds of issues. I like the openness Riley has in discussing this issue.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...f/2014/11/canzano_her_name_is_brenda_tra.html

Geez, 16 years ago? That's going to be a hard case to make. If I'm OSU, I'd be in favor of going to court just on principle. I'd also like to see our courts adopt English Rules. It would cut way down on frivolous lawsuits.

too many attorneys...too many attorneys in public office...too many people looking for pay days.

disclaimer: i am not referencing or commenting about any particular legal matter.

In order for the lawsuit to be profitable to a law firm, it must be tied to deep pockets. Winning a financial award against a party that is asset poor is useless. More often than not lawyers won't take this kind of case on without a fiscally sound defendant(s).

In order for the lawsuit to be profitable to a law firm, it must be tied to deep pockets. Winning a financial award against a party that is asset poor is useless. More often than not lawyers won't take this kind of case on without a fiscally sound defendant(s).

Duh.

:)

I present to you....The Duke Lacrosse case, lots of otherwise smart people fell for that as well, PLUS....you wait 16 years, you don't get my benefit of any doubt. Period.

Um yeah. So I didn't defend those accusations.

It is, however, a legal fact that Title IX cases do not have a SOL.

Last edited:
I understand that Title IX doesn't have geography bounds. My post was more that the guy allegedly raping the girl was not a student at OSU. So I don't see how OSU is responsible. If it happened on campus, it would shift responsibility back to OSU, but it was off campus. According to the article it was a cousin of a football player. It doesn't mean a university is responsible for all family members of students who attend their school.

Got it. I'm not sure how that component would be viewed. If the articles comments are true, however, the university would still be on the hook if the person she reported to didn't report to the university Title IX coordinator for further investigation.

FYI - just adding my understanding as it pertains to Title IX.

True. But the alleged attacker was neither a student or student-athlete of OSU. I believe they would have to prove that OSU has some culpability in these matters.

Correct. I'm not sure how that component would be viewed legally.

My understanding is that if she reported the incident to an OSU employee and the employee did not report it to the coordinator for investigation OSU would be on the hook to some extent. Beyond that I have no idea how it shakes out.

P.S. I'm not offering any opinion on this or any other case. Just sharing what I'm familiar with from Title IX.

Some of you guys don't realize how common it is for a woman to be drugged at a bar. It happens far more than people appear to want to acknowledge. I'm not taking a position on any case; however, to minimize the significance of drugs that are used to sexually assault is a huge mistake.
They also happen to men, say in Athens, OH...

Correct. I'm not sure how that component would be viewed legally.

My understanding is that if she reported the incident to an OSU employee and the employee did not report it to the coordinator for investigation OSU would be on the hook to some extent. Beyond that I have no idea how it shakes out.

P.S. I'm not offering any opinion on this or any other case. Just sharing what I'm familiar with from Title IX.

You have a fair point and I confess I have not read Title IX. OSU may very well be on the hook for not reporting the incident. I have chosen not to read Title IX, because I feel confident that with this legislation our government has over reached in their attempt to right the wrongs of our society. As is usually the case with these types of legislation, while done with good intentions, the government goes to far in their attempt to protect.

I apologize, I will get down off my soapbox now.

You are spot on! People just look for an excuse for there actions

What else is new? This is the paradigm of Americans; what's personal responsibility?

What is sad is there have been so many ridiculous false rape claims on university campuses in recent years, along with this crazy feminazi, anti-men schtick going on at some of these colleges that it is hard to take claims serious until the time someone is actually convicted.

This has all backfired on the radical left. Now people are more inclined to doubt true victims and true victims may be less likely to step forward.

I know a couple of friends who were falsely accused; it ruined their lives. Why there is no penalty for making false, claims, I have no idea. There may be, but it is hardly enforced. Men are not protected by the law at all; we've completely changed the paradigm. That is why I never drive alone with a female, or am alone in a room with a female, unless there is a dire situation, especially if I do not know them well. Nowadays, you can never be careful. In these situations, emotions often trump logic. The accusers had completely illogical stories, that only an idiot would believe, but two went to trial (both were exonerated, but their lives/reputations were ruined nonetheless), and the other was dropped by the Grand jury. I don't know who to believe anymore. 16 years is awfully long; it's seems like a money grab to me, even if she was raped. If she settles, or wins, look for more universities to be sued by women "coming forward".

if I was the judge I'd tell her to take responsibility for her actions, decisions, attitude and quit blaming everyone else for her life's problems

The judge would lose his job; even though he would be speaking the truth. Yes, I believe in personal responsibility, even though it offends the majority (what ISN'T "offensive"?). I am a high level manager/leader, and I make sure that everyone takes responsibility. I do not tolerate excuses. If she was raped, then someone needs to pay. Guys get drunk and do stupid things too, but they are held to a far higher standard than their female counterparts. It may be offensive, but it's the truth. In the workplace, I have to be VERY careful when I have to discipline, or terminate a female employee. Of course, I will always have another person with me in the office when I have to. I had one female threaten to sue me through Title IX; I fired her for repeated use of profanity and threatening other co-workers. I had documentation and witnesses, so we are prepared to fight it, and we will likely counter-sue if she decides to pursue it. Title IX has its purposes, but often, it oversteps its bounds. I have had multiple instances in which females were hired over me, just based on Title IX related (I was even told that one company had too many males, and therefore, had to hire females, regardless of qualifications). I base promotions and performance reviews based on meritocracy; if a female is the best one for the promotion, I will promote her; if not, then I will promote someone else. This whole equality paradigm has swung the pendulum completely in the opposite direction.

I pray to God you are never on a jury if you have determined all of this from one article. Disgusting...

I believe that he and the "Urban Meyer" poster were using satire. Don't take everything so literally. I use satire all of the time (I didn't in this post), and I laugh when other people become offended; generally, one person out of 50 is able to read between the lines.

Reactions: HuskerO
Wow. Just wow. Thanks for posting that, I think...

As bad as it must be for the woman, this is just total BS, some one looking for some deep pockets to get money from. The Beaver coach from that time period was Erickson, now that I could believe as he was sort of a rebel and encouraged conflict, remember when he was coach at Miami?

Just ignore this as Riley ran a clean program at OSU

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
I partied pretty hard in college and still do to some degree. And I've been around many, many people who got completely trashed to the point of incoherence and then the next day said, "Someone must have put something in my drink." In no way am I judging this girl but unless there's this massive underground market for that drug, which I've never been around, in most cases you just drank too much. At least that's how it's been with the people I've been around.
Unfortunately, date rape drugs are a known commodity. Obviously, I have no clue about this particular case, but they are used sometimes.

Lakercat, let's be fair to Mike Riley. He admits the '98 affair with a coed was a mistake and suspended all the guys who were raping for at least a game. He thinks in Lincoln the sexual assaults of his team can be cut in half because he can recruit a higher caliber player...plus he confided in Sean that the coed thing won't raise it's ugly head again because...well...Lincoln girls just ain't west coast girls.

That's some pretty good satire huh?

I love your version of satire. Say the wackiest, most pejorative thing you can think of and then say, "But it was only satire!"

Last edited:
This thread: Some of the dumbest and most sexist replies I've ever been witness to. MODS should be ashamed you didn't cut it off quickly.

This thread: Some of the dumbest and most sexist replies I've ever been witness to. MODS should be ashamed you didn't cut it off quickly.
Agreed... If they did, we wouldn't have had to see your inane trolling... Still waiting for a response to my post in a previous thread, but since you don't have an answer, you have ignored that thread completely. Troll only when it's convenient, I guess.

There's the morality police, I knew they couldn't be to far away. I'm sure the MODS appreciate your concern, and probably aren't even flipping you the bird behind your back after they read that.

I pray to God you are never on a jury if you have determined all of this from one article. Disgusting...

Tulsa Tom, outside of the exact number of bastard children this fine harlot might have, I guarantee that my description of the woman in question is spot on. When her identity is revealed, and it will, I will make sure to post it here so you can see. This case isn't about race and respecting some victim. This is an example of a ghetto rat coming up with a frivolous lawsuit to get paid and it doesn't take a Yale degree to put the pieces together. Your ignorance of the real world is what's disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT