ADVERTISEMENT

Starting LB's next year??

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_d4fca6f2-f0e3-5b09-81bf-8905d007a000.html
Scholarship count (9): Seniors—Marcus Newby and Chris Weber; Juniors—Luke Gifford and Dedrick Young; Sophomores—Mohamed Barry and Tyrin Ferguson; Redshirt freshmen—Quayshon Alexander, Pernell Jefferson and Greg Simmons.

Walk-on watch: Jacob Weinmaster, so.; Thomas Connelly, jr.

Commits in current class: Willie Hampton (Plantation, Florida), Avery Roberts (Wilmington, Delaware) and Andrew Ward (Muskegon, Michigan).

Weber, Newby and Young will probably start.

If Young starts then we're in big trouble. Either he's our best option at that position or the coaches aren't playing the best LB we have.. both are unacceptable. Tyrin and Barry need to be starting. Along with Parnell. Get these southeastern players on the field now.

Yep, depends on whether the coaches want speed or experience, because they can't have both next year.

Reactions: jeans15
Totally separate question I've been wondering about...what was Antonio Reed's actual injury that he was carted off with in the bowl game? Thanks in advance.

Totally separate question I've been wondering about...what was Antonio Reed's actual injury that he was carted off with in the bowl game? Thanks in advance.

I believe he was having chest pains or his heart rate was extremely high. Something like that.

Just stop on Young. He played hurt the whole damned year.

Weird. There were injury reports on every injured player this year.. if young was injured all year why did no one talk about it?? You're in the minority defending Youngs play. He was atrocious all year AND played his worst game in the bowl game.... after getting a month to rest his injuries. We need better LBs on the field next year.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Weird. There were injury reports on every injured player this year.. if young was injured all year why did no one talk about it?? You're in the minority defending Youngs play. He was atrocious all year AND played his worst game in the bowl game.... after getting a month to rest his injuries. We need better LBs on the field next year.
Not all of our injury "reports" included chronic injuries. Go back and listen to some of the interviews where various defensive coaches talked about him and Devine. Young against Iowa had trouble just getting back to the huddle at times let alone keep up with a TE on a route. Your act is getting old.

Reactions: Huskermitch
Not all of our injury "reports" included chronic injuries. Go back and listen to some of the interviews where various defensive coaches talked about him and Devine. Young against Iowa had trouble just getting back to the huddle at times let alone keep up with a TE on a route. Your act is getting old.

Lol. I guess injuries make you take the worst angles in history. And if he was THAT injured to where he couldn't play.. then why weren't the coaches putting in Barry or Tyrin? Fire Riley or Banker I guess.

Weber, Newby and Young will probably start.

That's not even a step forward compared to 2016. Bray will have his work cut out for him if they are our starting base guys.

I'll go with Newby, Roberts & TBD, assuming Newby remains with the program.

That's not even a step forward compared to 2016. Bray will have his work cut out for him if they are our starting base guys.

Where do you see Roberts outside or inside?

Lol. I guess injuries make you take the worst angles in history. And if he was THAT injured to where he couldn't play.. then why weren't the coaches putting in Barry or Tyrin? Fire Riley or Banker I guess.
Well if you think Young took bad angles you would love what Barry or Tyrin would have done. They play the guys that give them the best chance to win. IF Barry can carry over what he does on coverage teams he may end up being a good backer but obviously there's some reason those guys didn't play over a banged up Young against Iowa and in the bowl game.

My guess is inside, but I'd like to see how things go this spring. He's the type of athlete we haven't had at LBer since Lavonte David. I really believe Avery Roberts is a game changing talent.
If he can take the middle you could have Newby and Barry on the outside. Huge upgrade in athleticism, imo.

My guess is inside, but I'd like to see how things go this spring. He's the type of athlete we haven't had at LBer since Lavonte David. I really believe Avery Roberts is a game changing talent.
Really looking forward to what Avery can do. All the people bitching about the D coord, its amazing what a Lavonte or Suh or Prince or Gregory, all NFL players, can do to the overall play of your D. Great players tend to make coaches look like geniuses. Just ask Bo.

Our LBer play was decent for the most part this year. Young was the biggest problem. I think we'll be just fine with that group as long as Young improves.

Ferguson, Barry, Roberts. Yah, I'll be different.
I think that would be the most athletic group, but we haven't seen much from anyone of them. I think we are going to see a lot of different line ups next year, and then hopefully some people start to separate themselves

I think that would be the most athletic group, but we haven't seen much from anyone of them. I think we are going to see a lot of different line ups next year, and then hopefully some people start to separate themselves

Ferguson redshirted to separate himself from Banderas. Hopefully that was time well spent. I think Weber would still play a fair bit, even if Ferguson started.

If Young starts then we're in big trouble. Either he's our best option at that position or the coaches aren't playing the best LB we have.. both are unacceptable. Tyrin and Barry need to be starting. Along with Parnell. Get these southeastern players on the field now.

Yes, I think we fans should take a vote and let the coaches know who to start. Do you think a poll on this site would be sufficient, or should we place a poll on Facebook as well?

Webber, Ferguson and Jefferson could be an interesting battle at MLB. Plus Avery Roberts could end up there too.

If Avery doesn't play meaningful snaps next year, then something is up in Lincoln. Young came in as a true frosh and started... no reason Avery can't do the same.

If Avery doesn't play meaningful snaps next year, then something is up in Lincoln. Young came in as a true frosh and started... no reason Avery can't do the same.

That's probably because we had 3 LB's on the roster and one of them continues to have chronic injury problems. LB room is a little different now.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT