ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley Morgan Draft Stock

Sure hope coming back to help out doesn't hurt his draft stock
Stanley is what he is. A fairly smallish guy without blazing speed who sometime drops easy catches...like the one in the endzone against CU that likely eventually cost us the game. He also makes some great catches, but he I really don't think he'll be highly drafted. IF he thought he was getting drafted last year, I don't think he would have come back. JMHO and I hope I'm wrong for his sake.

Stanley is what he is. A fairly smallish guy without blazing speed who sometime drops easy catches...like the one in the endzone against CU that likely eventually cost us the game. He also makes some great catches, but he I really don't think he'll be highly drafted. IF he thought he was getting drafted last year, I don't think he would have come back. JMHO and I hope I'm wrong for his sake.

this is kind of where I put him. he's a later pick for someone who likes him, but his measureables and production aren't good enough to put him early in the draft.

Will our streak of NFL draft picks end this year? I don't see any of our seniors getting drafted.

Drops when he does get the ball thrown to him definitely wont help his stock. Hopefully he can turn it on the last couple weeks and really stand out. When the line can't block long enough to let a quarterback finish his drop back it's going to be hard to find your outside receiver.

Nebraska has had two players drafted the last two years, Nathan Gerry (5th round) and Tanner Lee (6th round). At least we're not the Kansas Jayhawks...yet.

Will our streak of NFL draft picks end this year? I don't see any of our seniors getting drafted.
Morgan will be drafted. He has showed enough last year for someone to take a chance on him late. He is the only one I see getting a shot.

Reactions: spinner4
You know, IF Farmer puts some good stuff on video playing center he may get drafted. Centers are a valuable commodity and having that ability to play there certainly helps his stock.

Not really. Enunwa was a big strong dude who made tough catches in traffic. He did at time drop some easy ones but Enunwa also put some fantastic special teams plays on video.

Agree to disagree. Enunwa is bigger, but their traits are very similar to me. Decent hands (not great), good sized WR, and decent speed.

The touchdowns haven't been there, but otherwise, I think the reception and yardage totals are close to what we might have expected before the year started. We all expected the offense to run the ball more than Riley's offensive scheme and that has been the case as our quarterbacks have made 12% less attempts.

Stanley Morgan's yardage totals have decreased more significantly (down 20%), but his receptions correlate to the fewer number of passing attempts. He's on pace for 54 receptions vs 61 last season. All it would take is one big game and he could get close to his 2017 receptions and yards. He won't get back to 10 touchdowns, though.

I guess the biggest disappointment is that he doesn't seem to be a huge factor when the game is on the line. He's a productive player, but hardly the gamechanger you think of when you think about future NFL draft picks. I think you can blame some of this on the fact that the team stinks. That certainly hasn't helped.

Personally, I think he still gets drafted (and will probably be the only player that does unless Ozigbo surprises).

Reactions: spinner4
I think this year will actually help him. He has been a leader and put team before himself. The skills that were there last year are still there and odds would say they have improved. Just my .02

You know, IF Farmer puts some good stuff on video playing center he may get drafted. Centers are a valuable commodity and having that ability to play there certainly helps his stock.

I was thinking the same thing about Farmer, but I think he has this far shown us why he was playing guard and not center with his inconsistent snaps?

I was thinking the same thing about Farmer, but I think he has this far shown us why he was playing guard and not center with his inconsistent snaps?
Well he hasn't exactly been there a long time and even NFL centers snap some clunkers. When you snap it back there 85 times during the game at some point fatigue is going to demand you screw one up. For the most part he's been pretty darned good. Better than some of the guys we had play there under Pelini who played the position for years.

NFL teams know that he’s playing with a sub-par OL and a true frosh QB. They’ll also look at his blocking. His leadership will help cus he’s an excellent teammate.
His drop against CU was dreadful, but his draft stock may be most dependent on his combine performance. My guess is he definitely gets drafted.
Let’s hope he keeps the streak alive so Nebraska doesnt become less than irrelevant.
*let’s add in well wishes for him to finish this year strong- lotta games left.

NFL teams know that he’s playing with a sub-par OL and a true frosh QB. They’ll also look at his blocking. His leadership will help cus he’s an excellent teammate.
His drop against CU was dreadful, but his draft stock may be most dependent on his combine performance. My guess is he definitely gets drafted.
Let’s hope he keeps the streak alive so Nebraska doesnt become less than irrelevant.
*let’s add in well wishes for him to finish this year strong- lotta games left.
They are going to notice that he hasn't been able to get open and get separation. He would need to run in the low 4.4s to get a look and I don't think he can come close to that. There's just a ton of guys out there with his kind of measurables.

The disappearance of Stanley Morgan may be the most significant issue on offense. He should be the go to guy in this offense, especially on 3rd down. The problem is, he’s continually double covered. An experienced QB would throw Morgan open or throw into coverage and have faith Stanley wins the battle. However, no way in hell the coaching staff will allow that to happen with a true freshman QB. And A-Mart doesn’t have the experience yet to be throwing guys open.

On the plus side, why do you guys think JD is having such a great season. He’s getting a lot of single coverage. This is a cat & mouse game that will be played all year when a team has two true threats at WR. Eventually D-Cords will focus in on JD and we will see more Morgan.

You see this all the time in the NFL. Steelers come to mind right now. Ju-Ju Smith and Antonio Brown. Until last week, Ju-Ju has been outperforming Brown but everyone with a brain knows Brown is the better WR. He’s just drawling double coverage and JuJu is too good of a receiver to keep in single coverage and so he goes off.

But I totally expect eventually D-Cords will start making JD the focal point in the secondary and when that happens, Morgan will kill it

Reactions: dand84
Since he's not being overused some GMs may see this as a plus, he's got enough film over the last 4 years and most of the time he was here he was in a pro style offense that should help him transition to the league.

Stanley Morgan has quite a few catches this year. A lot of them have been short passes though and he's dropped some long balls that could have changed a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT