ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Notes: Practice #6

jeans15

Head Coach
Feb 23, 2011
“The biggest thing on the offensive line is those guys are starting to get stronger,” Frost said. “Zach’s doing a great job with them, and I can see their movement getting better and seeing them start to get some movement up front and get us some yards off the ball, and that comes down to the weight room.

“It’s been that way in Lincoln, Neb., for a long time, and we’re going to keep pushing the envelope there.”

Derek Johnson@DerekJohnson0

It’s odd: whenever you pull up YouTube clips of Nebraska from 2003, 2005, 2008, through the present, it feels like Nebraska’s OL gets a little bit smaller every 2 years, until they looked like 90’s fullbacks last year. #Huskers

Christopher Heady@heady_chris

Mick Stoltenberg on crutches after practice. Carlos Davis was also not in pads. #Huskers

Parker Gabriel@HuskerExtraPG

Jovan Dewitt said most of his position group has some natural pass-rush ability and that the focus is teaching guys to get more comfortable playing in space

Brian Christopherson

Barrett Ruud would like four to six inside backers he could use. At this point, four have kind of separated themselves: Mo Barry, Dedrick Young, Will Honas and Avery Roberts.
10:38 AM - Apr 5, 2018

Christopher Heady@heady_chris

#Huskers mentioned by coaches today who are looking good in spring:
Peyton Newell
Damion Daniels
Tyrin Ferguson
Quayshon Alexander
Breon Dixon
Tony Butler
Ethan Cox

Phil Bergman@PhilBergmanTV

Chinander says team will continue physicality in practices and that there’s still room for #Huskers to improve.

He also said from a defensive-perspective he QB’s have looked really good six practices in.

Hail Varsity@HailVarsit
y
"You know you’ve got something when they’re coming up on their own, they’re watching film together, they want to grab a coach and watch some more film. That’s when you know it’s starting.” - #Huskers DC Erik Chinander

Jovan Dewitt’s philosophy is simple when it comes to his players and their assignments and roles at outside linebacker: If they can teach it, they understand it.

Dewitt encourages his players to teach what they’re doing in a particular call to someone else. Grab a friend, girlfriend or sibling. Teach them. Help them understand. If they’re successful, then that player has it down.

“I do the same thing at my house with my kids,” Dewitt said following practice Thursday. “I’ll grab my 10-year-old son or my 14-year-old daughter and I teach them a defensive call. If I know they can understand it, I know that our guys can understand it.

“Once you can teach to a certain level, now you can adjust and adapt to everything that shows on an assignment.”

Parker Gabriel@HuskerExtra

Jovan Dewitt on RS frosh Guy Thomas, who he estimated to be 235-240 pounds: "It’s a little bit slower of a process for him right now, but boy, when he goes, he goes now. It’s real impressive to watch and he’s got a real opportunity to be a really dynamic player for us." #Huskers

Sam McKewon@swmckewonOWH
Omaha Burke TE Chris Hickman is visiting Nebraska today. #huskers

10:27 AM - Apr 5, 2018

Four-star offensive lineman from New Jersey visiting the #Huskers unofficially. https://twitter.com/johnnyo_72/status/982006711761371136 …

4:36 PM - Apr 5,

The Go Big Redcast@GoBigRedCast

So excited to watch the ILB's grow & compete together. That group of Dedrick Young, Will Honas, Mohamed Barry & Avery Roberts could be dynamite together...so much talent. Add in the young guys (RFR Andrew Ward & Willie Hampton) & the future is

Parker Gabriel@HuskerExtra

Jovan Dewitt on RS frosh Guy Thomas, who he estimated to be 235-240 pounds: "It’s a little bit slower of a process for him right now, but boy, when he goes, he goes now. It’s real impressive to watch and he’s got a real opportunity to be a really dynamic player for us." #Huskers

Sam McKewon@swmckewonOWH
Omaha Burke TE Chris Hickman is visiting Nebraska today. #huskers

10:27 AM - Apr 5, 2018

Four-star offensive lineman from New Jersey visiting the #Huskers unofficially. https://twitter.com/johnnyo_72/status/982006711761371136 …

4:36 PM - Apr 5,

The Go Big Redcast@GoBigRedCast

So excited to watch the ILB's grow & compete together. That group of Dedrick Young, Will Honas, Mohamed Barry & Avery Roberts could be dynamite together...so much talent. Add in the young guys (RFR Andrew Ward & Willie Hampton) & the future is
Thanks for posting all this jeans.

Thanks for posting all this jeans.

My pleasure.

Dixon, who played safety at Ole Miss, naturally gets compared to Dewitt’s star pupil at Central Florida, Shaquem Griffin, the 6-1, 220-pound converted safety who had 18.5 sacks and 33.5 tackles for loss in his last two seasons at UCF.

“God, that’d be nice,” Dewitt said, smiling. "(Dixon) is just learning the scheme — like everybody else is — but every now and then there’s a flash of his athletic ability from his DB days. He has the ability to burst you don’t normally see.”

On the Husker podcast, the people close with Shea Patterson (the Ole Miss QB that transferred to Michigan) think it’s 75% chance that he’ll get cleared this season. If Patterson does, Dixon will too.

An artice I read earlier said the NCAA was dragging it’s feet with the Ole Miss transfers..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT