ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Notes: Practice #11

Not complaining. But if the number of kids Frost needs to shed don't take the hint, he's in a bit of a pickle.
Yeah, what happens when a guy says, "No thanks coach, I like my 4 year free ride.. see you tomorrow at practice." ?

Aren't scholarships renewed on a yearly basis?

only those issued before 2014, anything after 2014 are 4 year guaranteed scholarships where the school can't take away the scholarship based on athletic performance. It is a byproduct of the QB from Northwestern who tried to organize a union for college football players.

Reactions: dand84 and gw2kpro
only those issued before 2014, anything after 2014 are 4 year guaranteed scholarships where the school can't take away the scholarship based on athletic performance. It is a byproduct of the QB from Northwestern who tried to organize a union for college football players.

Does the SEC now go by these rules too?

Seems like they chase players away if they are no longer contributing to the team.

Does the SEC now go by these rules too?

Seems like they chase players away if they are no longer contributing to the team.

They can force a kid to leave by telling him he won't play, or dismiss a player if he is not abiding by the team rules, but they can't pull a scholarship just because the player isn't performing on the field of play.

Reactions: scarletred
They can force a kid to leave by telling him he won't play, or dismiss a player if he is not abiding by the team rules, but they can't pull a scholarship just because the player isn't performing on the field of play.
You can still tell a non-contributor that will be a 5th year senior that he's done. Normally you have a half dozen guys who throw in the towel after spring ball and I expect that will happen this year too.

You can still tell a non-contributor that will be a 5th year senior that he's done. Normally you have a half dozen guys who throw in the towel after spring ball and I expect that will happen this year too.

agreed, because 5th year guys aren't guaranteed under a 4 year scholarship.

agreed, because 5th year guys aren't guaranteed under a 4 year scholarship.
Those who would be on the 5th year bye-bye radar are Wilbon, Keyan Williams, Newell, and Sed King. I would say Williams and King are maybes.

Those who would be on the 5th year bye-bye radar are Wilbon, Keyan Williams, Newell, and Sed King. I would say Williams and King are maybes.

of that group, King is the one I see as not returning.

Williams and Wilbon would be candidates for the kickoff team, since Frost and company like to use speed on the special teams.

of that group, King is the one I see as not returning.

Williams and Wilbon would be candidates for the kickoff team, since Frost and company like to use speed on the special teams.
I don't see the kickoff team being all that important after the new rule.. are teams really going to practice squibbing the ball down past the 25 yard line? Maybe, but then the NCAA will probably just ban that too.

I don't see the kickoff team being all that important after the new rule.. are teams really going to practice squibbing the ball down past the 25 yard line? Maybe, but then the NCAA will probably just ban that too.

I am just saying that Frost has said he wants to use speed on his coverage teams. Williams and Wilbon provide that.

I am just saying that Frost has said he wants to use speed on his coverage teams. Williams and Wilbon provide that.
I understand what you're saying, and from the interview with him, I got the impression that he puts in his regular starters on special teams.

So having a scholarship guy who isn't in the rotation only for special teams doesn't seem to match what I heard him saying. I could have heard it wrong though.

Combine that with the new rule, and for sure it makes it even harder to argue for giving out scholarships to special teamers. I guess a kicker is still important. My comment there is really more of a dig at the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT