ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game eye test

Dec 21, 2020
You all know what I'm talking about. For the amount of football you've watched in-person and on TV, it's fun to make gut-reactions based on things that stand out to you.

I didn't get much of a read on Thompson (nice ball out of the gate), but Purdy flashed a little bit, right? Yea I know Gebbia and Tanner Lee made lasting impressions in April too, but Purdy did so in a different manner, just seemed natural out there. I'm afraid it's over for Smothers, looks like he'll be battling for 3rd string with Haarberg if he decides to stick around.

Grant and Yant. There's got to be a T-Shirt slogan out there somewhere for this. I'd be happy with this duo going forward. Of course you can't count Rahmir out, I've been doing that for 3 years now.

O-Line... yikes.

D looked alright but sadly I don't think it was much of a challenge for them. Won't know until real competition. I think our D severely lacks top-end speed, but I'm hoping it's a salty unit again.

It's hard to get a read on a qb when the defense could have sacked them on every play if they tried.

Reactions: Hyattea
Ol was improved in their run blocking at least. Gotta get the best guys out there and not have coaches playing favorites. I do think our run game will be improved this year even without all the fancy triple option stuff.

Need Prochazka back though for sure

The spring 'game' is worthless and needs to just be an open practice going forward or some better format.

Teddy and Turner will make the OL look a lot better since the tackle spots looked awful. I think we have 3 decent inside guys BUT the depth overall is garbage on the OL. Starters will be okay.

The spring 'game' is worthless and needs to just be an open practice going forward or some better format.

Teddy and Turner will make the OL look a lot better since the tackle spots looked awful. I think we have 3 decent inside guys BUT the depth overall is garbage on the OL. Starters will be okay.
Teddy, Nouili, Corcoran/Hixson, Lutovsky, Anthony/Corcoran from left to right.

• Love
Reactions: BleedRed78
I thought Purdy looked mediocre honestly. Thompson is clearly going to be the starter, but unfortunately we didn't get to see much of him.

• Wow
Ol was improved in their run blocking at least. Gotta get the best guys out there and not have coaches playing favorites. I do think our run game will be improved this year even without all the fancy triple option stuff.

Need Prochazka back though for sure
It still blows me away, 23 OLmen listed on the roster, in Year 5 NU can't seem to piece 5 "solid" players together on the OL.

No doubt Teddy, when healthy, owns that LT spot.

Just athletically, Corcoran will be somewhere, either Center and move Hixson to RG, or they may leave Hixson at Center and put Corcoran at RG/RT.

Actually, with Teddy at LT, Nouili at LG, Hixson at C, Corcoran at RG can be okay at the nucleus. But, man, after Teddy, his backup and the RT spot are disasters.

I watched 2 consecutive plays on Saturday when Miller got freight trained by Butler, then the very next play, got beaten badly again as did Anthony at RT, the defenders could have cut the QB in half.

When NU had that line with Miller at LT, Williams at LG, Boerkircher at C, Banks at RG and Anthony at RT if I've ever seen a slower OL. If I had to play QB with that bunch for protection, you would see a 2022 version of chuck and duck.

It looks like, maybe, Benhart is our best RT, and that's just not good.

I liked watching that 3rd or 4th string OL be in for the late touchdown. Hoskinson, Stafursky, Mancino, Schaller and Conn.

Mathis would of course be a huge addition. It looks like several guys on this board have said, they play their ass off, and if NU could add a quality DL via the portal, the D could slow down some of the teams on the schedule.

If I were the recruiting coordinator, I would have a laser focus on bringing in some OL that can run. If they can't run, they at least have to be explosive. I don't blame these kids, they play what their talent allows.

I've never been a butcher towards kids, but some of these kids need an adult football coach to have a real talk with them. If you're running 3rd or 4th string right now, and you're in you're 3rd or 4th year, behind the talent NU has, and so many of those 1's and 2's can swing from G to T or left to right.

Walk-on numbers need to be shredded. Preferred walk-ons at least have shown the potential to be contributors down the road.

I just can't imagine going up against some of those rush ends that really have some motors. I see reaching out by almost the entire OL. It's rare when there isn't at least one or two missed blocks every pass play.

It would just seem so much more fun at Kearney State, or Peru, or Wayne to be running maybe 1st or 2nd team and getting some meaningful snaps.

I never look at these kids as beef on the hook, I'm more interested in them having a chance to play at a level their ability allows.

This is the kinda post you're gonna get from me when my wife has me putting some damn shelves in the basement, and I make an escape to the keyboard.
I just call it venting. Sometimes I wish I had a dog.

Last edited:
Teddy, Nouili, Corcoran/Hixson, Lutovsky, Anthony/Corcoran from left to right.

There are a lot of combos we can do. The two left guys are set in stone...

Teddy, Nouili, Hixson, Lutovsky, Corcoran (what I would go with)

There are a lot of combos we can do. The two left guys are set in stone...

Teddy, Nouili, Hixson, Lutovsky, Corcoran (what I would go with)
If they're healthy, that could be NU's best combo. Real close to what wv had.

At least, other than Lutovsky, NU would have a little starting experience.

I'm just hopeful Teddy and Corcoran come back and can stay healthy. I'd love to get a disgruntled, talented OLman (RT type) that is running 2nd team to a star and wants a chance to start.

Eye test...

Thompson and Purdy are neck and neck. Purdy delivered some great throws while CT had some "adrian-esque" type slings. But, Frost thinks It's all settled behind CT. Expect drama from here on out.

At RB, Grant had a run, but I don't think he will be as explosive as Rahmir Johnson. I expect a Johnson Yant tandem on each series.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
Eye test...

Thompson and Purdy are neck and neck. Purdy delivered some great throws while CT had some "adrian-esque" type slings. But, Frost thinks It's all settled behind CT. Expect drama from here on out.

At RB, Grant had a run, but I don't think he will be as explosive as Rahmir Johnson. I expect a Johnson Yant tandem on each series.
1st legit QB competition we've had in quite a while. May the best man win.

It still blows me away, 23 OLmen listed on the roster, in Year 5 NU can't seem to piece 5 "solid" players together on the OL.

No doubt Teddy, when healthy, owns that LT spot.

Just athletically, Corcoran will be somewhere, either Center and move Hixson to RG, or they may leave Hixson at Center and put Corcoran at RG/RT.

Actually, with Teddy at LT, Nouili at LG, Hixson at C, Corcoran at RG can be okay at the nucleus. But, man, after Teddy, his backup and the RT spot are disasters.

I watched 2 consecutive plays on Saturday when Miller got freight trained by Butler, then the very next play, got beaten badly again as did Anthony at RT, the defenders could have cut the QB in half.

When NU had that line with Miller at LT, Williams at LG, Boerkircher at C, Banks at RG and Anthony at RT if I've ever seen a slower OL. If I had to play QB with that bunch for protection, you would see a 2022 version of chuck and duck.

It looks like, maybe, Benhart is our best RT, and that's just not good.

I liked watching that 3rd or 4th string OL be in for the late touchdown. Hoskinson, Stafursky, Mancino, Schaller and Conn.

Mathis would of course be a huge addition. It looks like several guys on this board have said, they play their ass off, and if NU could add a quality DL via the portal, the D could slow down some of the teams on the schedule.

If I were the recruiting coordinator, I would have a laser focus on bringing in some OL that can run. If they can't run, they at least have to be explosive. I don't blame these kids, they play what their talent allows.

I've never been a butcher towards kids, but some of these kids need an adult football coach to have a real talk with them. If you're running 3rd or 4th string right now, and you're in you're 3rd or 4th year, behind the talent NU has, and so many of those 1's and 2's can swing from G to T or left to right.

Walk-on numbers need to be shredded. Preferred walk-ons at least have shown the potential to be contributors down the road.

I just can't imagine going up against some of those rush ends that really have some motors. I see reaching out by almost the entire OL. It's rare when there isn't at least one or two missed blocks every pass play.

It would just seem so much more fun at Kearney State, or Peru, or Wayne to be running maybe 1st or 2nd team and getting some meaningful snaps.

I never look at these kids as beef on the hook, I'm more interested in them having a chance to play at a level their ability allows.

This is the kinda post you're gonna get from me when my wife has me putting some damn shelves in the basement, and I make an escape to the keyboard.
I just call it venting. Sometimes I wish I had a dog.
Did Ethan Piper not play?
Michael Linn? (may fit the description of those who need to make room)

We at least will have some choices/position battles across the OL, but…
1. Ceiling may require some ducking
2. It will be a scramble to get so many uncertain pieces situated before Northwestern.
3. Not hating Teddy P, but he played 1.5 games as a true frosh. Now coming off injury with new system/coach? It’s not a very ideal scenario at all.

It was good to watch some Husker football again! It was good for the fans! The weather got better and it ended up being a pretty nice day. I’ll wait until about three games in to the Fall season to have any idea what team we might be.

Frost and this staff deserve what they get this year. They teach players how to play Big Ten football by playing touch. They want their players to earn their starting positions but they don’t have to practice they get to be pencilled in as a starter when they’re banged up. Why did any of the second or third string players play when all we heard was, “when what’s his name gets back in the fall this will be a lot better.” CT is great and I’m glad he’s here but what did he do in the spring to be given the starting position? I’ll be surprised if this team wins more than five games. If that ends up being the case then Frost and Alberts need to be fired. This school has proven there is no consequences for loosing.

Did Ethan Piper not play?
Michael Linn? (may fit the description of those who need to make room)

We at least will have some choices/position battles across the OL, but…
1. Ceiling may require some ducking
2. It will be a scramble to get so many uncertain pieces situated before Northwestern.
3. Not hating Teddy P, but he played 1.5 games as a true frosh. Now coming off injury with new system/coach? It’s not a very ideal scenario at all.

Teddy went up against a first round pick in his 2nd game as starter and held up fine. If he's healthy, he's going to be in there.

Frost and this staff deserve what they get this year. They teach players how to play Big Ten football by playing touch. They want their players to earn their starting positions but they don’t have to practice they get to be pencilled in as a starter when they’re banged up. Why did any of the second or third string players play when all we heard was, “when what’s his name gets back in the fall this will be a lot better.” CT is great and I’m glad he’s here but what did he do in the spring to be given the starting position? I’ll be surprised if this team wins more than five games. If that ends up being the case then Frost and Alberts need to be fired. This school has proven there is no consequences for loosing.
Down the road I expect to vote this as "post of the year" for 2022.

Nebraska won way back in Jumbo Stiehm and Willa Cather days by making up for other limitations by being bad asses. Devaney and Osborne had teams full of bad asses. After the Frost experiment ends next December, I'd like Trev to hire a coach who recruits, fosters, and plays bad asses. I don't care if he is from a small school. This "woke" Spring Game is another example of why Frost will never be successful here. He refuses to recruit, find, practice, and play bad asses.

Reactions: FissionReaction
I attended college at Iowa State through the early 1990’s and was blown away at the fans continued loyalty to a football program that had accomplished nothing. At the end of the day, they knew what they were and set appropriate expectations - like winning one more game than the year before, maybe win a game against Iowa, and the crown jewel of them all - the elusive bowl game.

Amazing how this once great program morphed into the program I laughed at back in the day.

Nebraska won way back in Jumbo Stiehm and Willa Cather days by making up for other limitations by being bad asses. Devaney and Osborne had teams full of bad asses. After the Frost experiment ends next December, I'd like Trev to hire a coach who recruits, fosters, and plays bad asses. I don't care if he is from a small school. This "woke" Spring Game is another example of why Frost will never be successful here. He refuses to recruit, find, practice, and play bad asses.
Down the road I expect to read people commenting on how much of a difference Raiola has made in our run game and how improved our O line is. Raiola had 14 f'n practices with his guys and was missing two of probably his best O linemen for the spring. I'll reserve my comments on the O line until I see the product Donovan puts on the field next fall.

You all know what I'm talking about. For the amount of football you've watched in-person and on TV, it's fun to make gut-reactions based on things that stand out to you.

I didn't get much of a read on Thompson (nice ball out of the gate), but Purdy flashed a little bit, right? Yea I know Gebbia and Tanner Lee made lasting impressions in April too, but Purdy did so in a different manner, just seemed natural out there. I'm afraid it's over for Smothers, looks like he'll be battling for 3rd string with Haarberg if he decides to stick around.

Grant and Yant. There's got to be a T-Shirt slogan out there somewhere for this. I'd be happy with this duo going forward. Of course you can't count Rahmir out, I've been doing that for 3 years now.

O-Line... yikes.

D looked alright but sadly I don't think it was much of a challenge for them. Won't know until real competition. I think our D severely lacks top-end speed, but I'm hoping it's a salty unit again.
RB will always be affected by who's healthy and not. That said, I definitely wouldn't count out Rahmir because he's very versatile in the pass game and adept at pass blocking too. But as I said a lot will depend on who's healthy so durability is a huge factor for any RB.

Down the road I expect to read people commenting on how much of a difference Raiola has made in our run game and how improved our O line is. Raiola had 14 f'n practices with his guys and was missing two of probably his best O linemen for the spring. I'll reserve my comments on the O line until I see the product Donovan puts on the field next fall.
It's amazing the conclusions that people can draw from one half of touch football, isn't it?

You will be surprised I say it’s with undefeated or one loss going to Michigan keep the faith

Maybe flag football would have been better. The touch thing was a joke.

they are scared of getting kids hurt.

what other schools are running there spring games in this kind of format?

Maybe flag football would have been better. The touch thing was a joke.

they are scared of getting kids hurt.

what other schools are running there spring games in this kind of format?
That was the worst spring game setup I have ever seen and I’ve been going to spring games since Larry Frost was playing for Nebraska…

Reactions: Yantzeee
Based on the eye test we look like a poorly coached FCS team. If you changed jerseys you could not tell the difference. Not trying to make it a race issue but we have way too many white players at skill positions and that only happens if you do it on purpose. We have more white players out there than openly racist programs like Iowa. And not a single player on our team looks like they have ever used a steroid in their life. It's honestly like we aren't even trying anymore.

I agree with the first part of this.. but Frost seems to recruit some good players. It hasn't been easy for him with the win loss record lately, but I think he's done a decent job recruiting, but much of that hasn't panned out either.

Trev took a big step last year, basically forcing Frost into a much lower buyout and to replace a bunch of coaches on the offensive side of the ball, and to get his fingers out of it. I want to see Frost completely out of the picture, if we can keep the staff we have, as I think the staff changes are an upgrade.

Changing how the Oline works is a bit of a process, but I have a sense that the run blocking is improved. We do need more talented linemen though.

Regardless of performance, I would like to see Scott move on.

Who says you can't fire him, regardless of record.

I feel pretty strongly that you can promote from within, (Mickey Joseph, Eric Chinander) at the end of the season and avoid a big massive disruption while continuing to work to improve.

“My Antonia”! They looked like shit. I think Willa Cather got more pussy than these guys judging by how they played Saturday. And rightfully so

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
Based on the eye test we look like a poorly coached FCS team. If you changed jerseys you could not tell the difference. Not trying to make it a race issue but we have way too many white players at skill positions and that only happens if you do it on purpose. We have more white players out there than openly racist programs like Iowa. And not a single player on our team looks like they have ever used a steroid in their life. It's honestly like we aren't even trying anymore.
Hard core post there jeb, so many things going on with this post of yours its hard to begin a response. Im sure the coaches base playing time on how the your reflection in the mirror looks. Now, I could agree that Frost is a terrible coach and can't tell what talent is and starts the wrong guys.

This is a dumb post. First, most of our contributing skill players are in fact black. Those 6th string white running backs are never going to play in an actual game. Second, some of the better players on this team are white. Robinson, Nelson, Gunnerson, and Gifford are all very good athletes and would be able to find the field just about anywhere. Prochazka and Hutmacher are the best at their respective positions. It shouldn't be surprising that a small Midwestern state would have a lot of white guys on the team.

This is a dumb post. First, most of our contributing skill players are in fact black. Those 6th string white running backs are never going to play in an actual game. Second, some of the better players on this team are white. Robinson, Nelson, Gunnerson, and Gifford are all very good athletes and would be able to find the field just about anywhere. Prochazka and Hutmacher are the best at their respective positions. It shouldn't be surprising that a small Midwestern state would have a lot of white guys on the team.
95 team had an all white front four and dominated.

Football is different than basketball...lol

the eye test after seeing that comical display

arrested-development-eye-roll.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT