ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Expectations - Offense

The sellout is more like a celebration of freedom type thing. Like the French being liberated by the Allies after WWII. They were living a horrific existence under terrible leadership with zero hope. Being liberated from the evil tyrants, they knew things were going to be tough- but most likely better- but knowingly much better than living under the yoke of their previous leaders. They werent expecting new homes, lavish 7 course meals every day and new cars in the driveway- but they were expecting a little fuller bellies and the framework for greatness being put in place.

I thought you admitted your man Riley was awful and your defending him- you were just "kidding"- that doesnt look like it was true. Hey- you didnt make a good decision and your opinion was way off. Maybe it was a poor football knowledge thing- dislike of the NU program, not understanding NU football- who knows, it is what it is. Im glad I dont have that track record to have to live down.

At the end of the day thanks primarily to your boy Mike Riley- NU is in the worst place it has been for 56 years= over a half century.

Your buddy Riley came here on the heels of a coach who had won 9/10 games for 7 years in a row. Frost is coming in on the heels of a LUCKY 4 win season (could have just as easily been 2) and 2 losing seasons out of 3. The abyss

The staring points are MUCH different. Riley started a 400 meter race at the midpoint, Frost has to run the full 400 meters, with a 40 lb backpack of weights- thanks to your guy Riley.

No reasonable NU fan or supporter is expecting a 9/10 win season. None of the season ticket holders I've talked to- not a single one. The paying fan- the ones who consistently buy the tickets and the donors are the only votes the University really cares about.

Stablizing the program- kids getting stronger, playing more physical, playing more fundamentally sound, improving and setting the tables for year 2 is the goal

I would consider winning 50% MORE games with the kids your Mike Riley left him with- would be a very good starting point. Especially when you consider how lame the 4 wins NU got last year really were.

Excellent post sir!

Frost is taking over a horrible, pathetically coached NU program "and" has a brutal schedule to boot. If MR was still here he would be EXTREMELY lucky to win four games (again).

So of course the MR apologists NOW demand SF win at least twice as many games, even with a brutal schedule, as their mighty Beaver HC "accomplished" last year. Lol! Par for the course.....hey, two losing seasons in three years.....awesome!! No wonder they demand so much.

Who said anything about national titles? We are talking about winning 66% of the regular games in year one and going 8-4.
My post is more about expectations in general (and more long-winded than I intended, sorry). People keep focusing on wins (8, 9, 10+, whatever your magic number is). My point is that some of the fan base, I would argue many of the fan base (and not posters on here necessarily) worry a lot more about the quality of the program than just wins.

T.O. enjoyed almost no success at all when he took over. Frankly, looking back, it was almost a train wreck. He had multiple 3 loss (or 2 loss/1 tie) seasons. While Solich had one 4 and one 7 loss season, he had a few 1 loss and 2 loss seasons.

What has come after Solich though? Callahan: 4 seasons of 6, 4, 5, and 7 losses. Bo: 7 seasons of exactly 4 losses every season. MR: 3 seasons of 7, 4, and 8 losses. The last time we even enjoyed a "lowly" 3 loss season was Solich's last year.

T.O. did no better than Bob in his first year, Solich lost 4 games, Callahan lost 6 in his transition after a 3 loss season. Bo lost 4 after a 7 loss season in transition and MR lost 7 off a 4 loss transition.

Expectations are clearly more complicated than these simplistic assessments everyone is making. The quality that post-T.O. coaches share, whether through luck, chance, poor ability, bad decisions or whatever is the quality of those losses, i.e., large numbers of blowouts in big games. The quality of the program has clearly deteriorated since T.O. whether we like it or not. Also, it isn't getting better, it has been getting worse.

I care a hell of a lot more about that than I do about how many wins we get next year. I want a program that fights. I don't care where the players are from. I don't care if they are 4/5 star recruits, jucos or walk-ons. Couldn't care less. I don't care where the coach is from. I don't care what scheme they use on offense or defense. I care about coming to work every day, working hard in the off season, recruiting season and during the season.

That is the difference I feel with SF versus every coach we've had since T.O.

My post is more about expectations in general (and more long-winded than I intended, sorry). People keep focusing on wins (8, 9, 10+, whatever your magic number is). My point is that some of the fan base, I would argue many of the fan base (and not posters on here necessarily) worry a lot more about the quality of the program than just wins.

T.O. enjoyed almost no success at all when he took over. Frankly, looking back, it was almost a train wreck. He had multiple 3 loss (or 2 loss/1 tie) seasons. While Solich had one 4 and one 7 loss season, he had a few 1 loss and 2 loss seasons.

What has come after Solich though? Callahan: 4 seasons of 6, 4, 5, and 7 losses. Bo: 7 seasons of exactly 4 losses every season. MR: 3 seasons of 7, 4, and 8 losses. The last time we even enjoyed a "lowly" 3 loss season was Solich's last year.

T.O. did no better than Bob in his first year, Solich lost 4 games, Callahan lost 6 in his transition after a 3 loss season. Bo lost 4 after a 7 loss season in transition and MR lost 7 off a 4 loss transition.

Expectations are clearly more complicated than these simplistic assessments everyone is making. The quality that post-T.O. coaches share, whether through luck, chance, poor ability, bad decisions or whatever is the quality of those losses, i.e., large numbers of blowouts in big games. The quality of the program has clearly deteriorated since T.O. whether we like it or not. Also, it isn't getting better, it has been getting worse.

I care a hell of a lot more about that than I do about how many wins we get next year. I want a program that fights. I don't care where the players are from. I don't care if they are 4/5 star recruits, jucos or walk-ons. Couldn't care less. I don't care where the coach is from. I don't care what scheme they use on offense or defense. I care about coming to work every day, working hard in the off season, recruiting season and during the season.

That is the difference I feel with SF versus every coach we've had since T.O.

I don't disagree with any of that. But I was told that the reason that this team was bad the last 3 years and especially last year, was that the coach didn't work them hard enough and the overall poor coaching. I was also told, repeatedly over the last 3 years, that whatever Pelini did to the psyche of the players was not a factor and just excuses. Told that the staff should have just run the spread because that was what the players on the team were recruited for. The spread should be kept because Riley's offense was so difficult that they cant learn it quickly. And was told that the talent on the team was there but the coaching is the reason for the lousy results.

Now the same people that said "no excuses" and "all it takes is hard work and discipline" and to "use the talents of the players on the team" and "implement the offense later" are singing a different tune.

Now the team is weak and soft because of Riley. Riley has killed their will to win. It will take time to implement the offense and defense. Plus the schedule is hard. Weird how that works isn't it? Sort of reversing roles

If we now have a coach that will instill toughness and hard work and the talent on the team is roughly the same as it was in 2014, shouldn't we expect to have the same results that Pelini had in his final year? Why do we expect more from a career 500 coach than we do the reigning coach of the year.

I have full confidence that Scott Frost will turn this around and do it quickly.

Just like I said the talent that Frost took over at UCF wasn't 0-12 talent, this team is not 4-8 talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwinsRRUs
So much for a thread about the spring game expectations! lol :) (good job cornhustler!)

Getting into the "debate" about number of wins... Osborne won 9 games or more every year. When Pelini was coaching, that was not good enough. "We play more games." "We should win at least 10 games every year."

This team has talent. Not just a little talent, but it has some good talent. It has some damn good talent at the skill positions.

From what I gather of the "excuses" above, changing coaches is not the issue. Following a 4-win season is not the issue. There seems to really only be a couple of issues with winning 8 games or more next year.

1. New schemes on both sides of the ball.

Urban Meyer came into Utah following a 5-6 record and turned it around in his first year by going 10-2. OSU went 6-7 in 2011, only to go undefeated in Meyer's first year. Same DC though.

In 1991 and 1992, Auburn went 5-6 and 5-5-1. Terry Bowden comes in in 1993 and the team goes 11-0. He did not have a complete change in staff though, but that is a great turnaround.

Turnarounds can happen in year one, but don't happen too often. They are not impossible though. Frost improved 6 games in his first year at UCF. Without looking it up, how often does a new coach improve by 4 games in the first year? I would bet a decent amount.

4 more wins isn't asking for too much unless you think this team is just a piece a sh!t all around, which is wrong. A few years ago people get called stupid for going Barney Cotton and saying that we need to win at least 9 games. Any monkey can win 9 games at Nebraska was the response. I don't recall those posters ever putting an asterisk next to those statements.

This happens with every coaching change we have. Some posters are said to be making excuses. Some posters are said to have unrealistic expectations and are told to give the new staff time. The only thing that changes are the doppelgangers. The statements stay the same.

2. Team psyche/will to win/attitude.

Why does a change of attitude have to take a whole year to change?

I hope Frost kicks some major @ss in 2018 and proves his doubters wrong. Support Frost and his team. This is his team. If he has players that have a crappy attitude, he can sit those players or kick them off the team and keep the players that want to give 100% effort and win. He is the coach now.

He has 8 months of time to get things changed and I have faith in him and Chinander. This team has talent. They will get it on the field and use it to kick some butt.

Red - 24
White - 20

A little more perspective:

Saban went 7-6 his first year at Alabama and lost to Louisiana-Monroe. Alabama was 6-7 the year before he arrived.

Kirby Smart went 8-5 his first year at Georgia, after they went 10-3 the year before.

James Franklin went 7-6 each of his first two years at Penn State, after they went 7-5 the year before.

Chris Petersen went 8-6 and 7-6 his first 2 years at Washington. They were 9-4 the year before he arrived.

Saban went 7-6 his first year at Alabama and lost to Louisiana-Monroe. Alabama was 6-7 the year before he arrived.

Kirby Smart went 8-5 his first year at Georgia, after they went 10-3 the year before.

James Franklin went 7-6 each of his first two years at Penn State, after they went 7-5 the year before.

Chris Petersen went 8-6 and 7-6 his first 2 years at Washington. They were 9-4 the year before he arrived.
and this little piggy cried wee wee wee all the way home.

Really simple to see through this smoke and mirrors
Your new mantra is Frost needs to win 9 games to consider year 1 a success.
That's all youve got. Because you supported and defended Riley right to and past the bitter end- you have to pivot to something else.

By setting that unreasonable bar, you get an "out" see Frost failed- just like your friend Mike Riley.

The difference being the crapfest the NU program left on Scott Frosts lap thanks to the guy you supported- Mike Riley vs all the 9/10 win teams Riley inherited

Your boy Riley got the keys to a decent Toyota Tundra
Frost, thanks to your friend Riley was given the keys to a Chrysler K car with 400,000 miles on it.

Frost and those who were away that are now back around the program- cant believe what they are seeing- how inept the previous coaching staff was- how mentally and physically weak our kids are. Kids that have lived that life for 3 years- some it's all they know- takes time to get them right. Some never will- they get punched in the mouth and look for a soft place to land. Something goes wrong and the look in their eyes is that of a loser- they KNOW they are going to lose. That's a real tough one to turn around. See Frost go to a lot of Juco kids and even true Freshmen- to solve some of that.
Yes that's exactly what Tuco is doing. Like you said, if Frost doesn't get to 9 wins, Tuco is going to consider it a failure so he can be "right" and thinks Frost won't be as successful as most people think he will. According to Tuco, 7 or 8 wins for Frost is a failure even though he thinks the same thing for Riley would have been a huge success.

The funny thing is I think it's going to backfire on him. I see us getting 9 or 10 wins this year. Of course if that happens he will change his tune again and say that's not good enough because we didn't win a conference championship or playoff game in year 1.

Tuco is firmly in the antitradition coalition camp that hates Tom Osborne or anything dealing with our history of success from the 60's to the 90's. And they worship bad coaches like Riley and Callahan because they do the same things everyone else does and wonder why our results weren't better.

Yes that's exactly what Tuco is doing. Like you said, if Frost doesn't get to 9 wins, Tuco is going to consider it a failure so he can be "right" and thinks Frost won't be as successful as most people think he will. According to Tuco, 7 or 8 wins for Frost is a failure even though he thinks the same thing for Riley would have been a huge success.

The funny thing is I think it's going to backfire on him. I see us getting 9 or 10 wins this year. Of course if that happens he will change his tune again and say that's not good enough because we didn't win a conference championship or playoff game in year 1.

Tuco is firmly in the antitradition coalition camp that hates Tom Osborne or anything dealing with our history of success from the 60's to the 90's. And they worship bad coaches like Riley and Callahan because they do the same things everyone else does and wonder why our results weren't better.

No he isn't.
Tuco predicted that Nebraska will win 9 games in 2018. So nothing would backfire on him. I am pretty sure those predicting 6 or 7 wins would be the ones that would have been affected by the backfire.

Tuco never used the word huge in describing disappointment in winning less than 8 games. "anything less than 8 wins would be a disappointment"

Tuco only finds the hypocrisy of many of you quite comical.

Tuco also has a lot of respect for Tom Osborne. He just doesn't worship the man as some sort of deity like others do. In fact I don't know that I have ever said anything all that negative about him as a football coach other than how he turned a blind eye to some of the illegal activities that were going on in Lincoln. My criticism are of him as an AD.

I don't disagree with any of that. But I was told that the reason that this team was bad the last 3 years and especially last year, was that the coach didn't work them hard enough and the overall poor coaching. I was also told, repeatedly over the last 3 years, that whatever Pelini did to the psyche of the players was not a factor and just excuses. Told that the staff should have just run the spread because that was what the players on the team were recruited for. The spread should be kept because Riley's offense was so difficult that they cant learn it quickly. And was told that the talent on the team was there but the coaching is the reason for the lousy results.

Now the same people that said "no excuses" and "all it takes is hard work and discipline" and to "use the talents of the players on the team" and "implement the offense later" are singing a different tune.

Now the team is weak and soft because of Riley. Riley has killed their will to win. It will take time to implement the offense and defense. Plus the schedule is hard. Weird how that works isn't it? Sort of reversing roles

If we now have a coach that will instill toughness and hard work and the talent on the team is roughly the same as it was in 2014, shouldn't we expect to have the same results that Pelini had in his final year? Why do we expect more from a career 500 coach than we do the reigning coach of the year.

I have full confidence that Scott Frost will turn this around and do it quickly.

Just like I said the talent that Frost took over at UCF wasn't 0-12 talent, this team is not 4-8 talent.
Riley didn't even recruit a qb his first year, so how the heck was he going to implement his offense? Riley himself was trying to adapt his offense to the players he had on the roster. Some coaches are good at adapting their system to fit the players. Some coaches have a great system and get their players to buy into that system. Frost is the latter type of coach. So expecting him to adapt his system to fit the current players or the Big 10 is stupid when it's his system in it's entirety is what makes it so effective.

Also why do you expect more from a guy with 2 years head coaching experience at a Group of 5 school than a guy who had 20 + years experience coaching at a power 5 conference? It's funny how your expectations change being fine with a coach who's having a losing season in his third year to now expecting a coach in his first season to get 8 or 9 wins or else he's a failure. Real coincidence there.:rolleyes:

Reactions: davecisar
So much for a thread about the spring game expectations! lol :) (good job cornhustler!)

Getting into the "debate" about number of wins... Osborne won 9 games or more every year. When Pelini was coaching, that was not good enough. "We play more games." "We should win at least 10 games every year."

This team has talent. Not just a little talent, but it has some good talent. It has some damn good talent at the skill positions.

From what I gather of the "excuses" above, changing coaches is not the issue. Following a 4-win season is not the issue. There seems to really only be a couple of issues with winning 8 games or more next year.

1. New schemes on both sides of the ball.

Urban Meyer came into Utah following a 5-6 record and turned it around in his first year by going 10-2. OSU went 6-7 in 2011, only to go undefeated in Meyer's first year. Same DC though.

In 1991 and 1992, Auburn went 5-6 and 5-5-1. Terry Bowden comes in in 1993 and the team goes 11-0. He did not have a complete change in staff though, but that is a great turnaround.

Turnarounds can happen in year one, but don't happen too often. They are not impossible though. Frost improved 6 games in his first year at UCF. Without looking it up, how often does a new coach improve by 4 games in the first year? I would bet a decent amount.

4 more wins isn't asking for too much unless you think this team is just a piece a sh!t all around, which is wrong. A few years ago people get called stupid for going Barney Cotton and saying that we need to win at least 9 games. Any monkey can win 9 games at Nebraska was the response. I don't recall those posters ever putting an asterisk next to those statements.

This happens with every coaching change we have. Some posters are said to be making excuses. Some posters are said to have unrealistic expectations and are told to give the new staff time. The only thing that changes are the doppelgangers. The statements stay the same.

2. Team psyche/will to win/attitude.

Why does a change of attitude have to take a whole year to change?

I hope Frost kicks some major @ss in 2018 and proves his doubters wrong. Support Frost and his team. This is his team. If he has players that have a crappy attitude, he can sit those players or kick them off the team and keep the players that want to give 100% effort and win. He is the coach now.

He has 8 months of time to get things changed and I have faith in him and Chinander. This team has talent. They will get it on the field and use it to kick some butt.

Red - 24
White - 20
I think the general consensus is closer to 3, but a lot of posters think we can win 3 or 4 more games next year, even some of those who think this team is a disaster coming off of Riley's tenure. Making excuses for where this team is at and thinking we'll have decent record next year are not mutually exclusive. It was the Bo haters/Riley lover's that said a monkey could win 9 games at Nebraska.

I don't have a problem with some posters having unrealistic expectations and some posters making excuse after excuse for a coach. I do have a problem when a poster changes his tune and goes from making nonstop excuses for a coach and then for the next coach saying there should be no excuses and sky high expectations.

The vast majority of fans are fine with giving a coach three or four years as long as the team is trying hard and making a good effort. The vast majority will also excuse a poor first year if subsequent years are showing improvement.

Reactions: davecisar
No he isn't.
Tuco predicted that Nebraska will win 9 games in 2018. So nothing would backfire on him. I am pretty sure those predicting 6 or 7 wins would be the ones that would have been affected by the backfire.

Tuco never used the word huge in describing disappointment in winning less than 8 games. "anything less than 8 wins would be a disappointment"

Tuco only finds the hypocrisy of many of you quite comical.

Tuco also has a lot of respect for Tom Osborne. He just doesn't worship the man as some sort of deity like others do. In fact I don't know that I have ever said anything all that negative about him as a football coach other than how he turned a blind eye to some of the illegal activities that were going on in Lincoln. My criticism are of him as an AD.
Every post you said you'd think we would have 9 wins was said in a sarcastic tone so I didn't think that was a serious prediction. There's plenty of hypocrisy coming from you too.

But I do agree with you a lot of posters who were saying no excuses under Riley are now making excuses for Frost. I think it's the nature of fans to try to defend current players and coaches and sometimes they attack former players and coaches in order to do so. I agree with you it's not right and there were plenty of posters that were doing that when Riley first started and were attacking Bo.

Expectations - Offense: Find 5 - 9 O-lineman that want to beat the man in front of them, play to the whistle, and play hard for 60 minutes. Find the best leader and decision-maker at QB. Install the offense we want to run in 2018 and beyond. Find out which players want to be on this team - those that don't, help them find another alternative. Then find the best players that fit the offense and put them on the field next fall.

I think a successful season is one where Nebraska climbs higher in the rankings than the previous year.

# of win seasons is remedial. IMHO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT