ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams Received a Grade of F

msjgroup

Walk On
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2016
Put in all true freshmen. How much worse could it be?

Special teams: F

A punt return for a touchdown, losing the field position game, inconsistent punting and zero to no impact in the return game. Did I leave anything out? Nebraska's special teams did recover a muffed punt in the third quarter that could've changed the game, but instead, it led to a field goal. This is a phase of the game the Huskers have performed poorly in now two weeks in a row.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

A punt return for a touchdown, losing the field position game, inconsistent punting and zero to no impact in the return game. Did I leave anything out? Nebraska's special teams did recover a muffed punt in the third quarter that could've changed the game, but instead, it led to a field goal. This is a phase of the game the Huskers have performed poorly in now two weeks in a row.

Did you fail to mention a missed field goal?

I'd say anything greater than zero was generous.

And they've been poor a hell of a lot longer than 2 games.

Reactions: msjgroup
It looked like there was a lack of effort on the punt return for a touchdown. I didn't think that would happen this year.
The CU game looked like the players were giving 100%. Looked like the wanted to win and had fire. Not so much this game. Wonder what changed? That is one area I though Frost would have improved even more as the year went on. Buy in or get out type of mentality.

The CU game looked like the players were giving 100%. Looked like the wanted to win and had fire. Not so much this game. Wonder what changed? That is one area I though Frost would have improved even more as the year went on. Buy in or get out type of mentality.
Still might see that. He was pretty clear after the game if you aren’t in he’ll show you where the door is.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some new faces this week.

He seems like another Jamal turner to me.

Wouldn't go there. Remember what the kid had to go through this year. He also looks like he put on way too much weight. Might help him to lose maybe 10-15.

This is what scares me going forward. The schedule isn't getting easier, and some adversity makes people try harder, but this early in the season, well things could really rattle and start to come apart. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

This is what scares me going forward. The schedule isn't getting easier, and some adversity makes people try harder, but this early in the season, well things could really rattle and start to come apart. Let's hope that doesn't happen.
Agree. People say Frost has already flipped the roster. But only partially. There are still a lot of Riley holdovers. I don't think they dislike Frost and secretly still love Riley. But I think bad habits die hard and losing begets more losing, which can then lead to a defeatist view.

I think we all need to remember something. Most of these players hate to lose. They want to win very badly. So they, like us, bought into the Frost hype machine. They too had hope of an immediate turnaround. Just look at Farmer's comments about us competing for a national title this year as exhibit A. And so this bad start is just as deflating to them, perhaps more so, than it is to us. That is why, I think, there wasn't as great an effort from some of the players this week.

Finally, my gut says this is what Frost meant when he said if you weren't on board you should leave. I think he was disgusted with the effort he saw from some of these guys.

Agree. People say Frost has already flipped the roster. But only partially. There are still a lot of Riley holdovers. I don't think they dislike Frost and secretly still love Riley. But I think bad habits die hard and losing begets more losing, which can then lead to a defeatist view.

I think we all need to remember something. Most of these players hate to lose. They want to win very badly. So they, like us, bought into the Frost hype machine. They too had hope of an immediate turnaround. Just look at Farmer's comments about us competing for a national title this year as exhibit A. And so this bad start is just as deflating to them, perhaps more so, than it is to us. That is why, I think, there wasn't as great an effort from some of the players this week.

Finally, my gut says this is what Frost meant when he said if you weren't on board you should leave. I think he was disgusted with the effort he saw from some of these guys.
I agree with a lot of that.. 9 months of hype and buildup & trash talking sort of prepared us for what we are seeing. I am quite concerned that it could get much more serious.

Scott is a very stubborn guy. Emotionally invested in this place, and it is already week 2 and he's having to defend his style to the players and laying down ultimatums.

Certainly culture is important, but that alone won't win you games. You have to have players and develop them too.

Now one thing about Scott, is even when he screws up, he comes back and wins. That should give people some hope, but as he even said, "things are going to get worse before the get better", makes me wonder if everyone can keep it together and get through the season in a way that we can build on it.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I agree with a lot of that.. 9 months of hype and buildup & trash talking sort of prepared us for what we are seeing. I am quite concerned that it could get much more serious.

Scott is a very stubborn guy. Emotionally invested in this place, and it is already week 2 and he's having to defend his style to the players and laying down ultimatums.

Certainly culture is important, but that alone won't win you games. You have to have players and develop them too.

Now one thing about Scott, is even when he screws up, he comes back and wins. That should give people some hope, but as he even said, "things are going to get worse before the get better", makes me wonder if everyone can keep it together and get through the season in a way that we can build on it.
Winning is the great disinfectant. He wouldn't need to challenge some of his guys if we had won our first two games. And his words about things getting worse in the short term could mean many things. It could just be an acknowledgment that our schedule is going to get harder now. It could mean that he knows Martinez is out for more than a few games. It could mean he knows that we lack talent in key places and that this will take time to remedy. It could mean all of those things together.

I think Frost is as disappointed and surprised by this bad start as we are. His comments about hoping to make the game against Troy get ugly early (as in, blowing them out) shows that he too had high expectations for this team. That he believed in them. In his post game presser he seemed pissed as hell and was probably beginning to realize that this team is not as good as he thought.

All of this only goes to show that you can never, ever really know how good your team is until they play a real game or two. Spring and Fall camp can give a false sense of things. If your offensive and defensive lines are both sub par, for example, you may never get a sense of how subpar they are until they play someone else.

But I think our future under Frost is bright. We all knew that this might be a rough year but hoped for a miracle. Well.... no miracle. Patience

agree. it could be ugly for a minute.

a healthy AM may have indicated a different trajectory. and while we would probably have some of the same concerns, a different feel altogether.

and if players are walking off the field - it shows there may still be some shet sandwich for the coaches to digest.

it will irritate me if anyone says, 'why? we weren't patient with the other coaches...'. they got plenty of time & none of them parlayed their time here into a bigger deal.

Winning is the great disinfectant. He wouldn't need to challenge some of his guys if we had won our first two games. And his words about things getting worse in the short term could mean many things. It could just be an acknowledgment that our schedule is going to get harder now. It could mean that he knows Martinez is out for more than a few games. It could mean he knows that we lack talent in key places and that this will take time to remedy. It could mean all of those things together.

I think Frost is as disappointed and surprised by this bad start as we are. His comments about hoping to make the game against Troy get ugly early (as in, blowing them out) shows that he too had high expectations for this team. That he believed in them. In his post game presser he seemed pissed as hell and was probably beginning to realize that this team is not as good as he thought.

All of this only goes to show that you can never, ever really know how good your team is until they play a real game or two. Spring and Fall camp can give a false sense of things. If your offensive and defensive lines are both sub par, for example, you may never get a sense of how subpar they are until they play someone else.

But I think our future under Frost is bright. We all knew that this might be a rough year but hoped for a miracle. Well.... no miracle. Patience
I don’t think he meant blowing Troy out early when he made the comment about uglying the game up. I think he meant winning ugly, which I took to mean winning any way you can regardless of the score.

Last edited:
Until I see otherwise, Lindsay is out there solely to give JD a break and to try to keep him healthy.
I'd like to see one of our younger guys returning punts and kicks. Maurice Washington or Miles Jones are probably far more elusive than those two.

Part of that was that the Troy punter was pretty OUTSTANDING. Not sure if that was an average day for him OR one of the best days of his career but he definitely KILLED IT.

Hate to say it, but I would get Lindsey out of there on punt return for someone who has no "fear of failure."
I don’t like badmouthing or singling out one person but Lindsey isn’t impressing in any area of the game.

Still might see that. He was pretty clear after the game if you aren’t in he’ll show you where the door is.

I sure hope so but I would also hate to see him throw in those new faces with no game experience. Without the benefit of the Akron game it made things more challenging. I guess he felt like there were enough good things after game one that warranted giving the same guys a second chance.

Part of that was that the Troy punter was pretty OUTSTANDING. Not sure if that was an average day for him OR one of the best days of his career but he definitely KILLED IT.
Yeah we need to go recruit him away from Troy but not sure he would be interested.

I don’t think he meant blowing Troy out early when he made the comment about uglying the game up. I think he meant winning ugly, which I took to mean winning any way you can regardless of the score.
Yeah I was confused by that statement. Not sure what that meant.

You’re 100% right. We have to have kids with high confidence that know how to win. Kids that have come back to win big games. Kids that learned how to win at a young age. You can’t coach that. And I agree the coaches seem shocked to me. Shocked that the team is as bad as they are. They seem like they have the deer in the headlight mentality right now. How the coaches respond and adjust this week will be telling. Frost clearly has no confidence or trust in some of the new guys yet but I also think in some examples they are trying too hard for certain kids to be successful. Maybe because they talked them up so much in Fall camp.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I will never, as long as I live, understand what's hard about not blocking a guy in the back
it is in fact harder than one would think at times in a given situation. Things are moving so fast and you've got your eyes moving all over the place then all of a sudden the guy you were going to block has turned right as you are about to hit him. It can be difficult to get your brain to react quickly enough to stop yourself from committing a penalty. It literally can be a split second and a matter of inches on your hand placement.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

Mo Washington would be electric returning punts but would hate to get him injured as he is so valuable to the offense.

Reactions: timnsun
What makes everyone think that Akron would have been any different? They beat Northwestern this past weekend. Like everyone else I am extremely happy Frost is back. The defense looks much improved but I am extremely disappointed in our offense particularly the pass game so far. Much of that is because of the pressure the QB is receiving. Our line has to improve, turnovers have to be reduced, stupid penalties have to be eliminated along with figuring out what is going on with our special teams. Lot's to do.

An "F" would be generous.

Actually, you should go back and see how many newcomers or inexperienced players are actually on the punt team. That's a major part of the problem.

Mo Washington would be electric returning punts but would hate to get him injured as he is so valuable to the offense.

I think its worth a look.,. However, sometimes returning punts is more than just being able to run. You have to be able to track and secure the football as well.

Reactions: AFTray
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT