ADVERTISEMENT

Sooo maybe the NCAA quandrant/RPI system isn't all

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
it was cracked up to be. Virginia..LOL. So much for all those "quality wins". ACC got how many teams in the tourney again?

UVA had a really good season but god that was a pitiful performance. Just glad my Blue Devils weren't the 1st to lose to a 16 (though they probably lose to Rhode Island tomorrow).

UVA's style of play gives them less room for error simply because of their pace. When they went cold, they couldn't rely on being able to get any quick, easy baskets to sort of mentally reset. The pressure mounts as their opponent is scoring in 10-15 seconds with a wide open look before the defense is ser while it's taking them 25-30 just to take a contested jumper into a set defense.

I knew they were done when I saw their body language with 12 minutes left, they looked like a deer in the headlights. Then their defense fell completely apart.

Reactions: huskerdan15
UVA had a really good season but god that was a pitiful performance. Just glad my Blue Devils weren't the 1st to lose to a 16 (though they probably lose to Rhode Island tomorrow).

Certainly no Duke fan here, but I think they wax Rhode Island. Rhode Island couldn’t handle OU’s bigs, much less the likes of Bagley.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
it was cracked up to be. Virginia..LOL. So much for all those "quality wins". ACC got how many teams in the tourney again?
I think the system is a joke, and the committee made a ton of mistake. In this situation they had nothing to do with it. Virginia deserved a #1 spot. Just one of the those fluke deals where everthing goes right for one team and everything wrong for another. It just happened to be a #1 vs#16 and will be remember forever. lol I would guess if they played another 10 times Virginia would win 10 times by 15+.

I think the system is a joke, and the committee made a ton of mistake. In this situation they had nothing to do with it. Virginia deserved a #1 spot. Just one of the those fluke deals where everthing goes right for one team and everything wrong for another. It just happened to be a #1 vs#16 and will be remember forever. lol I would guess if they played another 10 times Virginia would win 10 times by 15+.
It was like our 20 point whooping we put on Michigan. We looked like world beaters but never looked good again....imo.

Yes I thought the committee made some peculiar choices, but making Virginia a #1 seed wasn't one of them. Swap this committee with one from any of the past 25 years, and Virginia is still a #1.

Certainly no Duke fan here, but I think they wax Rhode Island. Rhode Island couldn’t handle OU’s bigs, much less the likes of Bagley.

Rhode Island's defense muscles the heck out of teams. So it depends on whether Duke allows itself to be muscled as it has in some games this year. If they do, then it neutralizes the height. But if Duke's bigs get position on the much smaller RI front line, that will not only allow Bagley, Carter, and Bolduan to score, but it also allows open threes. Depending on how hard the bigs for Duke work, this could be a nail biter or a 14-20 point win by Duke.

Beauty of the tournament. Eventually, a #1 seed was going to get beaten in the first round. Virginia was a a prime suspect...defensive minded with a slow pace...today's game is an up-tempo scoring affair

Virginia was 31-2, 17-1 in conference play and won its conference tournament. What selection criteria would you have used that wouldn't have pegged them as a #1 seed?
OBVIOUSLY their conference was not as tough as everybody made it out to be.....Winking Apparently they didn't get any better as the season wore on.

OBVIOUSLY their conference was not as tough as everybody made it out to be.....Winking Apparently they didn't get any better as the season wore on.
I guess it's not that obvious to me. While I'm not really a big fan of the Always Crying Conference or the Big 12, those two conferences still make up half of the Sweet 16 even with Virginia and UNC bowing out early.

I guess it's not that obvious to me. While I'm not really a big fan of the Always Crying Conference or the Big 12, those two conferences still make up half of the Sweet 16 even with Virginia and UNC bowing out early.
Also started with the most teams.
Sorry but if you dont think the leagues with the most teams by a wide margin wont have the most teams in sweet sixteen i dunno what to tell you.

Reactions: saluno22
Also started with the most teams.
Sorry but if you dont think the leagues with the most teams by a wide margin wont have the most teams in sweet sixteen i dunno what to tell you.
I don’t think having the most teams in the Sweet Sixteen means the ACC and the Big 12 are way better than the other conferences. But if a conference has four teams in the Sweet 16 and there’s a team who blew through that conference with a 17-1 record and went 31-2 overall, they’re going to be #1 seed roughly 100 percent of the time. Which is why I am still scratching my head as to the point of this thread. Virginia was a no-brainer #1 seed who crapped the bed. Replace the Bruce Rasmussen-led-gang-of-conspirators-out-to-screw-the-Big-Ten with any other committee ever, and Virginia will still be a no-brainer #1 seed who crapped the bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
I don’t think having the most teams in the Sweet Sixteen means the ACC and the Big 12 are way better than the other conferences. But if a conference has four teams in the Sweet 16 and there’s a team who blew through that conference with a 17-1 record and went 31-2 overall, they’re going to be #1 seed roughly 100 percent of the time. Which is why I am still scratching my head as to the point of this thread. Virginia was a no-brainer #1 seed who crapped the bed. Replace the Bruce Rasmussen-led-gang-of-conspirators-out-to-screw-the-Big-Ten with any other committee ever, and Virginia will still be a no-brainer #1 seed who crapped the bed.
I agree that Virginia was a good choice for overall #1.

If you put that many teams in the tourney the odds are in their favor that they are going to dominate the sweet 16.

No system is going to stand up to a standard that it has to get every single game prediction right or it sucks. Especially when all the games are on neutral floors. Things happens. Teams shoot poorly - or just have a bad game. That is where quality of head coach really shows up IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT