ADVERTISEMENT

Some Nice Analysis from Reddit

BleedRed78

Blackshirt
Oct 22, 2019
Stats on turning around losing programs

The short: history suggests Rhule will need at least two years to get over .500 (Deon is an enigma/singular force that bucks the trend, but some argue he's building his house out of straw compared to that of someone like Rhule).

Buckle up for a rough season folks. Hopefully we continue to see young players grow throughout the season (looks like Coleman and Lloyd are moving up as an example). Next year will likely be rough still, but bowl game more likely than this year. Year three either looks good or else THEN Rhule deserves all the criticism in the world from us. His contract suggest he ain't going anywhere until at least then - that's just the reality.

As fans, you're either N or you're out. I might devote more time on Saturdays to actually getting stuff done, but I know I'll still be following along and hoping I can rededicate time on Saturdays in year 2/3.

GBR

The short: history suggests Rhule will need at least two years to get over .500 (Deon is an enigma/singular force that bucks the trend, but some argue he's building his house out of straw compared to that of someone like Rhule).

Buckle up for a rough season folks. Hopefully we continue to see young players grow throughout the season (looks like Coleman and Lloyd are moving up as an example). Next year will likely be rough still, but bowl game more likely than this year. Year three either looks good or else THEN Rhule deserves all the criticism in the world from us. His contract suggest he ain't going anywhere until at least then - that's just the reality.

As fans, you're either N or you're out. I might devote more time on Saturdays to actually getting stuff done, but I know I'll still be following along and hoping I can rededicate time on Saturdays in year 2/3.

GBR
I'm not sure I follow the logic of the linked article. The examples he is giving are before the wild west portal we now "enjoy". And all that other stuff aside, our first two games were more than winnable except for one factor. If you change that one factor then there is no reason we can't go bowling with our schedule. If Rhule doesn't change that factor then yeah, this year will suck and probably so will next year.

The perceived amazingness of CO and apparent completely opposite take on that of NE is pretty comical. If the turnovers were even in our first two games, we are very likely 2 - 0. It is a simple matter of stopping the unforced errors. People yammering on about athletes and frost and cowardice and all the fanboys of CO is gold. (see above). Still a pretty good chance of making a bowl game this year. Not thrilling, but important.

The perceived amazingness of CO and apparent completely opposite take on that of NE is pretty comical. If the turnovers were even in our first two games, we are very likely 2 - 0. It is a simple matter of stopping the unforced errors. People yammering on about athletes and frost and cowardice and all the fanboys of CO is gold. (see above). Still a pretty good chance of making a bowl game this year. Not thrilling, but important.
IMO Sanders is a top 3 QB in CFB...that is the main difference. We chose to bring in a lot of underclassmen for the near future. Deion chose to win now. Could he continue to do that in the portal if he stayed? Maybe. But I'm fine with the approach Rhule is taking - just have to find a dependable QB.

I'm happy with Coach Rhule. I have always viewed this as a total rebuild. I have not forgotten about the last 5 years and what Scott Frost did to the program. Total. Rebuild.
Yet. We blow a winnable game at Minni? This whole idea that a rebuild means losing winnable games makes no sense to me. As a coach we go balls out to win every game and do what we can with the personnel we have to do so. Im not jumping off the ship but I am questioning the captain a bit. We better beat NIU or there is something seriously wrong with this staff.

IMO Sanders is a top 3 QB in CFB...that is the main difference. We chose to bring in a lot of underclassmen for the near future. Deion chose to win now. Could he continue to do that in the portal if he stayed? Maybe. But I'm fine with the approach Rhule is taking - just have to find a dependable QB.
For sure, he's a very good QB, and even with him, if we don't trip over our own dick, that game could very well end up differently. If a guy like Sanders was gettable, I'm sure Rhule would have tried to get him; Rhule didn't pass on some stud somewhere because he was concerned that if he brought him in, that he was going to win too quickly. I'm not even sure what people are talking about when they try to make the comparison. Sanders flipped a ton of guys because they weren't very good. Rhule flipped quite a bit too. But Sanders wants to "win now" more than others? He just happens to have one of the best QB's in the country at his disposal, along with another couple of other really good skill guys. That's going to help you with immediate results. It will be good enough for Sanders, especially if a team gives them the ball a bunch. He can keep being a used car salesman, and hype and drama will work for some, so he will get some good players, but he'll be gone in 2 or 3 years, and CO can restart the process.

I think Rhule thought he could get Sim's on the field play to match his measurables and athleticism and that hasn't happened yet. When to call for the snap is fixable. As in, don't call for the ball when the motion man is on top of the center. Making bad decisions in pressure situations may be harder to fix. Players making stupid mistakes because they were really trying to make a play is where this offense was during the Frost regime.

It's probably a good idea to wait and see how Co does as the season progresses. They gonna have a tough time in conference play.
Deion was 27-6 at Jackson state. He will win plenty of games. I would imagine he gets to at least 8 wins this season. Barring injury to his son.

He has a lot of hype surrounding his program right now and it starts with him but involves and entourage of ex NFL talent that are going to help bring in a lot of talent over the next two years. It's going to suck to watch but CU is going to be very good while Deion is there.

Deion was 27-6 at Jackson state. He will win plenty of games. I would imagine he gets to at least 8 wins this season. Barring injury to his son.

He has a lot of hype surrounding his program right now and it starts with him but involves and entourage of ex NFL talent that are going to help bring in a lot of talent over the next two years. It's going to suck to watch but CU is going to be very good while Deion is there.
I think they are gonna struggle in conference play. Their defense is suspect and those pac 12 offenses will light them up. Depth will become an issue for them. Will sanders hold up all season long getting sacked a much as he does?

Pac 12 features competent qb play in offensive systems that are uptempo. I think the score would have looked a lot different if we had competent qb play. Shit, look what it's done for CO through 2 games.

That not to say I think Sanders is gonna fail as a HC. Dude hired a great staff and will continue to have talent flock to Boulder. Once he get the O and D lines shored up, look out.

8 Pac 12 teams in the top 25 this week

that the conference's leadership couldn't adequately sell the product is one of the great college athletics travesties of our time
Those dumbasses turned down 30 mil per team from ESPN. The leadership of that conference should never hold a job above Burger flipper ever again.

Yet. We blow a winnable game at Minni? This whole idea that a rebuild means losing winnable games makes no sense to me. As a coach we go balls out to win every game and do what we can with the personnel we have to do so. Im not jumping off the ship but I am questioning the captain a bit. We better beat NIU or there is something seriously wrong with this staff.
Couldn't agree more. I'm so tired of using the mantra of a rebuild to excuse losing. Sanders brought in a great qb. We didn't. That's why we're in the position we're in.

I think they are gonna struggle in conference play. Their defense is suspect and those pac 12 offenses will light them up. Depth will become an issue for them. Will sanders hold up all season long getting sacked a much as he does?

Pac 12 features competent qb play in offensive systems that are uptempo. I think the score would have looked a lot different if we had competent qb play. Shit, look what it's done for CO through 2 games.

That not to say I think Sanders is gonna fail as a HC. Dude hired a great staff and will continue to have talent flock to Boulder. Once he get the O and D lines shored up, look out.
I agree. They have to stay healthy, and their defense is suspect. But They will score points, and that defense will get better and better. Again healthy has to play a big factor.

Remaining Schedule; I see 5 more wins with a potential toss up as a 6th. Puts them at 8 wins going into bowl. Could be a 9 win season.

CS- W
@ Oregon - L
USC - L
@ ASU - W
Stanford - W
@ UCLA - Toss
OSU - W
AU - W
@ WSU - Toss
@ Utah -L

I agree. They have to stay healthy, and their defense is suspect. But They will score points, and that defense will get better and better. Again healthy has to play a big factor.

Remaining Schedule; I see 5 more wins with a potential toss up as a 6th. Puts them at 8 wins going into bowl. Could be a 9 win season.

CS- W
@ Oregon - L
USC - L
@ ASU - W
Stanford - W
@ UCLA - Toss
OSU - W
AU - W
@ WSU - Toss
@ Utah -L
Oregon state is pretty legit. Arizona will light up a scoreboard and I don't think ASU is gonna be a pushover.

GBR
I agree.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It's probably a good idea to wait and see how Co does as the season progresses. They gonna have a tough time in conference play.
It doesn't matter if they lose the rest of their games. His approach is to win now and next year and he's out for a better job. They brought in a TON of upperclassmen. We didnt

• Haha
Reactions: oldjar07
If the turnovers were even in our first two games, we are very likely 2 - 0. It is a simple matter of stopping the unforced errors.
You can talk until you are blue in the face, but this "if" and "simple matter" have been plaguing the Huskers for the past 15 years. Until we see something different, on a consistent basis, your "if" is a delusion and the "simple matter" is complex.

You can talk until you are blue in the face, but this "if" and "simple matter" have been plaguing the Huskers for the past 15 years. Until we see something different, on a consistent basis, your "if" is a delusion and the "simple matter" is complex.
No, that hasn’t been the only issue over the last 15 years preventing us from winning. And how many games over the last 15 years has Rhule been involved in?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
The fact that it has been happening for a specific period of time doesn't make it any less true. If Nebraska doesn't have 8 turnovers in 2 games, there is a better than 50% chance they are 2-0. If the line at Penn St was straight Nebraska wins that game. If not for the erroneous fumble call on the Penn St TE in 2012, the Lions go up 30-20 and Nebraska probably doesn't win that game. If Osborne kicks the extra point, he wins the title in 1983. If Nebraska had a competent passing game OR an aggressive and fast defense in the 80's and early 90's they probably wouldn't have lost so many games to Oklahoma, Miami and Florida St.

Every play, every game, every season is absolutely based on ifs and simple matter of facts. It just depends on what side of the coin that shows up.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
The fact that it has been happening for a specific period of time doesn't make it any less true. If Nebraska doesn't have 8 turnovers in 2 games, there is a better than 50% chance they are 2-0. If the line at Penn St was straight Nebraska wins that game. If not for the erroneous fumble call on the Penn St TE in 2012, the Lions go up 30-20 and Nebraska probably doesn't win that game. If Osborne kicks the extra point, he wins the title in 1983. If Nebraska had a competent passing game OR an aggressive and fast defense in the 80's and early 90's they probably wouldn't have lost so many games to Oklahoma, Miami and Florida St.

Every play, every game, every season is absolutely based on ifs and simple matter of facts. It just depends on what side of the coin that shows up.
Agree.

Also with regards to comments about the portal in this thread.. Its enough as a fan to just point at it and say unload some money, but really that thing is filled with 99% of folks who couldn't cut it at other schools, and the 1% who are any good are getting split up a couple a dozen ways to the schools with the top NIL pools. Of which we are one.

But you probably aren't making a whole top shelf roster out of it. Time is still a factor in CFB with regards to rebuilds for most schools not coached by NFL mega stars and Saban.

There's nothing about a rebuild that means you have to constantly get dead ball penalties or roll out a QB that turns the ball over 4 times a game. Those aren't because of a "rebuild". You're either coaching it or allowing it, and we'd be 2-0 in the middle of this rebuild if the head coach had made different decisions.

Couldn't agree more. I'm so tired of using the mantra of a rebuild to excuse losing. Sanders brought in a great qb. We didn't. That's why we're in the position we're in.
Sanders brought in his son. How many 4-5 star QBs was he going to get. Guys committed to Deion to play with his son. I watched the QB portal. Who the hell was Rhule supposed to get? Who COULD he get given our recent history. He wasn’t a college coach who could bring his starter with him. Criticism is easy. Solutions are not. We’re probably going to have to build QBs like we used to build O linemen IMO. Can he do that with Haarberg or Kaelin?

There's nothing about a rebuild that means you have to constantly get dead ball penalties or roll out a QB that turns the ball over 4 times a game. Those aren't because of a "rebuild". You're either coaching it or allowing it, and we'd be 2-0 in the middle of this rebuild if the head coach had made different decisions.
First two games under Frost: 21 penalties for 172 yards.

First two games under Rhule: 13 penalties for 95 yards (includes one questionable 15-yard penalty on Robinson in game 1).

For fun:

First two games under Pelini: 18 penalties for 163 yards.

And finally, first two games under Riley: 19 penalties for 170 yards.

Well I'll be damned.

(Callahan was pretty clean, but also got to play a D-2 team, and a group of 5 team. None of Pelini, Riley, nor Frost had to face back-to-back power 5 teams to start their tenures, only Frost had to face a P5 team in CU, of course).

We chose? Or you mean that’s all we could get. We’re not going to get a top QB with mid 3* running all over the place. Not like we had a lot to choose from. Rhule isn’t in Texas anymore.

First two games under Frost: 21 penalties for 172 yards.

First two games under Rhule: 13 penalties for 95 yards (includes one questionable 15-yard penalty on Robinson in game 1).

For fun:

First two games under Pelini: 18 penalties for 163 yards.

And finally, first two games under Riley: 19 penalties for 170 yards.

Well I'll be damned.

(Callahan was pretty clean, but also got to play a D-2 team, and a group of 5 team. None of Pelini, Riley, nor Frost had to face back-to-back power 5 teams to start their tenures, only Frost had to face a P5 team in CU, of course).

it's not just the penalties, though, it's when they happen. Up 28 in the 4th and getting a pass interference call is different than two false start penalties when trying to score a TD in a tied game.

GBR
Says who? you?

You do know, a fan can be critical of the direction the program is going. We are on another 3 year road trip to nowhere.. but it's refreshing to know that you get to decide what a fan gets to be..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT